Oh the Tragedy! No Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake this time! Updates x 5 9/30

:cool1: I'm here and I can't wait to read all about it!

So sad about the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake though, hopefully you can correct that grievous oversight soon! ::yes::

It looks like you have a great list of restaurants to review. It's a good thing that we don't have to wait too long before we find out how you missed that delicious dessert. ;)

Count me in! I'm looking forward to following Barb's, Paula's, and your report so I can get the 'full picture.' :) Sounds like a great trip, although I'm sorry Emmy couldn't join you.

And no toffee cake - uh oh! Still haven't tried that dessert, although based on the reviews it gets, I need to correct that eventually.

Mr. DDW!! I'm so glad that you are here and FIRST! You were my very first DIS dining companion so it is only fitting that you have a front row seat. Thanks for joining!

BTW: I was glad to see your 24 Hr Disney reviews.

Hi Brenda! :wave2:

Like Mr. DDW, I am looking forward to reading all 3 of your reports to get everyone's take from a different perspective. I was having some serious Disney blues thinking I would not be getting to my happy place this year but now that our September trip is booked, I am looking forward to changing my ADRSs several times based on these reports! :rotfl:

(Already added Raglan Road thanks to Paula!)

Hey there Vicki! I'm bummed that I had to cancel September since our dates would have overlapped. :worried: BUT - Excited for you that you can get back to your happy place!

Paula influenced me with a few choice as well - particularly HDDR.

Looking forward to your reviews.

Hi there and thanks for joining!

I love your reviews! So excited for a new one :goodvibes

Thanks for joining and for reading my other reviews!

Looking forward to your reviews, they are always so well written and informative. Glad you could all get together again this trip and am enjoying Paulas and Barbs reviews also.

Thank you for the compliment. It was great to dine together and now I have the pleasure of reading their reviews and comparing notes as well.

I'm here and perhaps even made it on the first page. Can't wait for your reviews to begin! :banana:

Hi Barb!!! Thanks for joining. I'm loving your perspective and reviews already. You are off to a strong start.

That was a nice touch inserting an adorable puppy into your dining review!! :lmao: A seriously cute puppy I might add.

I'm in- can't wait to hear all about this trip. I enjoy your reports!!

Hi there and thank you for joining!!

I'm here!! Will comment more after my lovely dentist appt this morning!

Hi Paula! My second dining buddy is now checked in! Thanks for joining.... especially since you are a key part of the reviews!

great can't wait to read more :cool1:

Hi Hallie and thank you for joining! I'm glad you are here.

Another TR - I'm in :)

Hi there! I'm glad to see you joining for this one as well. Thanks!

Definitely subscribing! I LOVE your DRs!

Welcome and thank you for joining! You are so sweet, thanks!

Loved your last review so count me in : ) We are taking our first couples trip in November and it will be a first for us. We've been going to disney world since 1988 and I've done family trips, daughter's and Mom trips, daughters & granddaughters and Meema trips, grandsons, daughter and Meema trips and many other combos of family members. So a just us trip should be interesting for us and following along on your vacation should be fun. Looking forward to reading along!!

Thank you meema! I'm glad to see you here.

Wow! That's a lot of trips over the years. This was our first couples trip to WDW so you may see a little preview of what's to come for your couple trip in November.

Can't wait to read your report! Had a great time for the short but I was there:cool1: Can't wait to see how the rest of the dining went

Hi Beth!! And now our dining team is completed!! Thanks for joining!

YAY! More Brenda! I so enjoy your other TR's and DR's and I will do better to comment this time, but I'm always reading!
:thumbsup2

Hi Jillian! Thanks for joining! No worries on commenting, I have a hard enough time keeping up with my own reports so I certainly understand. :)

I'm in. Need some ideas for our next trip and you have hit a few places I have not tried yet. :banana:

Thanks for joining. I hope I can help with some dining suggestions. I'm glad to see your next trip is far enough out that I should complete this before your vtrip!

Brenda,

So glad to see you've started a new DR. Sorry there will be no Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake in this report, but that's an excuse to book another trip soon.:thumbsup2

Hi Rachel! I'm so glad to see you here. Thanks for joining in.

I like your logic! Another trip even if just for the toffee cake doesn't sound bad.

Hi Brenda, I am in. I am following the other 2 as well, so I will get to see and hear the whole story. Love your reports and can't wait to hear how this trip went for you guys. I have decided that I will do a DR for our July trip this year.

Hi Karla! I'm so glad to see you here. It's been awhile. I'm going to associate your dining adventures with funnel cake now you know.

I'm glad to hear you'll be doing a DR for July. We'll need to compare dates since I'll be there in late July.

Yay! Another dining report! I can't wait to read it!

Thanks for signing on!! I'm glad you are reading.

Been one of the infamous lurkers of your reports for a while, so shamefully subbing in officially this time. Can't wait to see what you and the hubby have in store.

Hi kastoney! I'm so glad to see you out of lurkdom and joining in. :) Thank you! Seriously, I'm thrilled to have you join.

:cool1: I'm here and I can't wait to read all about it!

So sad about the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake though, hopefully you can correct that grievous oversight soon! ::yes::

Hi Carol!! It was sooooo sad. But I'm recovering so all is well.

Joining in, I always love your reviews!

Hi disneyfav4ever! Thank you for joining. What a kind comment, thanks.

Hello, hello!! I am here and SO excited to read more dining reviews from you!!

Hi Kimmy! Thank you for joining! I see you have your first DVC trip to look forward to later this year. How exciting!

Always enjoy your dining reports!!! Can't wait to read this one!

Hi ocalla! I'm glad that you are here and reading this DR as well. Thank you for joining!

It looks like you have a great list of restaurants to review. It's a good thing that we don't have to wait too long before we find out how you missed that delicious dessert. ;)

Hi Sue! Thanks for joining. Yes, you don't have to wait too long for my sad moment in Disney dining history.

I don't comment much, but I have read all your reviews...can't wait for this one :)

Hi smiths and thanks for joining! I'm so glad that you are here and reading.
From your signature it looks like you are an OC native!! Hello from OC.

popcorn:: joining in, can't wait to read another one of your fabulous TRs! popcorn::

Thank you for joining MiaBella!! I'm glad you are here... and with your own popcorn even!

I am here! Can't wait to read it!!

Hi WildGinger and thank you for joining. Welcome to this edition of my DR.

this is some serious line up you got there! Looking forward reading

Thanks for joining HappyGrape! :) (love your user name, it makes me think of wine!)

Joining in the party! :good vibes

Hi mousegear and thank you for joining the party! I'm so glad that you are here.

Jiko Dinner - Monday April 28, 2014

Michael and I were kicking off our dining adventures with one of my favorite Signature restaurants – Jiko. This was a convenient choice since it was our arrival day. Not having to take transportation, other than an elevator downstairs, was nice, so thanks to our dining companions for indulging us in this request. We had arrived at AKL a few hours earlier and had just received our luggage so we were rushed to get changed and downstairs to meet up with our dining party.

DSCN7879.jpg

DSCN7912.jpg

We met up with Paula, her husband Hunter, and Barb who had already been seated by the time we arrived. Michael was introduced to everyone since this was his inaugural dining experience with a group of DISers. We had a nice surprise from Hunter who presented us with a box of hand-made chocolates and candies. Being a chocolate lover, I think Michael was pretty excited about these goodies. I believe he may have eaten 2 entire boxes during the trip.

DSCN7889.jpg

DSCN7882.jpg

Oscar was our server. He was nice and friendly although a bit forgetful. He didn’t remember what people ordered not long after and missed a few things. Not that my memory is fabulous but if you are not going to remember you may want to carry around a little pad of paper! Just sayin’. Poor guy, I should give him a break since I can barely remember what I had for breakfast.

DSCN7883.jpg

There have been some changes to the menu over the course of the last year such as the bobotie is now a duck version instead of the beef that I had tried before. The salads and flatbreads had also undergone an update. In particular, the Jiko salad that previously had bitter greens, goat cheese, and walnuts with a citrus vinaigrette now included summer greens, watermelon, blueberries, almonds, and feta with a lime-date vinaigrette.

Menu
DSCN7892.jpg

DSCN7894.jpg

The other menu photos I have a cruddy so if you want to see some great photos and Barb’s Jiko dining review – see here!

Barb announced that she was ordering a bottle of sparkling wine for the table compliments of Linda (Linda67). We ended up getting a nice Graham Beck brute rose. We toasted to getting back together with friends and special celebrations since it was Barb’s birthday the day prior, Hunter’s birthday was in less than 2 weeks, and I had celebrated my 50th birthday a couple weeks earlier. It was also Paula and Hunter’s anniversary on May 1st so there was a lot to celebrate. Michael was just happy to be there!

DSCN7907.jpg

DSCN7911.jpg

Hunter and Paula requested two orders of Taste of Africa, which is an assortment of breads and dipping sauces to share with the table. The basket contained 3 types of breads – naan, poppy seed lavash, and pappadam. The 4 sauces that accompanied the breads were; buhna masala (red), sagh dahl (green sauce), Moroccan Chermoula, Kalamata hummus (my favorite). If they only served the naan bread with the olive hummus I would have been completely satisfied. The buhna masala had a spicy edge and was delicious as well.

Taste of Africa
DSCN7916.jpg

DSCN7920.jpg

DSCN7921.jpg

Michael ordered the tomato/spinach salad as an appetizer. It looked fresh and tasty. However, this was a tiny salad for $15!!

Allan’s Mozambique Tomato Salad: Heirloom tomatoes, peaches, avocado, spinach, arugula, and goat cheese $15

DSCN7927.jpg

Michael and Hunter ended up ordering a second appetizer to share – the Tibs and Brik.

Inguday Tibs and Brik: Mushroom, Spinach, and cheese in crispy Tunisian Filo with Apples & Curry Vinaigrette $10

DSCN7935.jpg

After waiting until we were nearly finished with the Taste of Africa sampler, Oscar delivered a basket of the regular bread. I had some of the Ethiopian and honey wheat focaccia with flax seed with a generous slathering of the tandoori butter. Oh so good!

Bread Basket:
DSCN7937.jpg

For our entrée orders, Michael went with the lamb and I stuck with the beef short ribs that I had loved the last few times. I figured why mess with a good thing. That and the fact that once I land on something that I really enjoy it is hard to pry me away from that choice. Case in point my GF Café breakfast choice that has not changed in the last 9 visits to WDW! (Barb, you know what I mean since you seem perfectly happy with a repeat performance of the French toast as well.)

Michael’s lamb dish looked pretty tasty…. It was either a small portion or delivered on a large plate. I tend to go with the small portion theory. According to Michael, this was awesome.

Lamb Two Ways: Baby Brussels sprouts, pumpkin seed duqqa, grilled olive ciabatta, and mango demi glace $39
DSCN7943.jpg

As for my short ribs, the photo is a little misleading since it looks like there was an oversight in the kitchen and they placed a chunk of meat on a dirty sauce-splayed plate. It looks like a hot mess. However, the short ribs were good although perhaps I’ve had them too many times that they are losing their amazingness. For comparison, the short ribs that are served at some of the other WDW restaurants are larger. In fact, Napa Rose at the Grand Californian Hotel at DLR area has a huge portion of short ribs for the same price. Jiko may be pushing it with their Signature pricing for snack size portions.

Spicy Botswana-style “Seswaa” Beef Short Ribs: Cassava potato puree, Sambal, mushrooms, and fava beans $42
DSCN7948.jpg

So after complaining about the portion size relative to price, I couldn’t finish all of the short ribs so encouraged Michael to be my clean up man. He isn’t really a short rib fan so I don’t think he ate much.

Our server presented us with complimentary desserts which were mini crème brulees with a madeleine each topped with a flaming candle for the 3 birthday celebrations – Hunter, Barb, and me. There was a 4th one for Paula for their anniversary but she gave that to Michael. I forget if it was good or not in fact I didn’t take a photo other than the server delivering dessert so that part of the meal is a blur. Chalk it up to having a long travel day perhaps.

DSCN7957.jpg

DSCN7959.jpg

We ended up chatting and enjoying each other's company so long that we were the last guests out of the restaurant that night and didn’t leave until around 11:30pm. I was able to get some decent photos of the restaurant without dirty dishes and patrons. Since it is a dark room it is hard to get low light photos without a flash.

DSCN7978.jpg

DSCN7969.jpg

Wood fire pizza ovens
DSCN7964.jpg

This was a nice start to our Disney dining for the next 11 days!

Next Up: Tusker House Breakfast

No Ooey Gooey? I simply cannot read this report...;)

Oh, go on then...:lmao:

Hmmmm....love Jiko! Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews!

Great start to your report with your Jiko review! :thumbsup2 I'm so glad that you guys had included Jiko in your dining plans, as it gave me the the needed incentive to give it another try. On my previous two visits there (last in May 2012) I had not had much luck with finding an entree that I liked. But I guess the third time's the charm, because I really enjoyed the maize-crusted fish. So anyway, thanks for reintroducing me to this great restaurant. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter