Oga’s Cantina - Should we or shouldn’t we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGsAtBLT

DIS Veteran
Two adults. Big Disney fans, indifferent towards Star Wars. Despite that, feel like we shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to experience it especially without our kids. Not huge drinkers but would be ordering something alcoholic. Cringing at the prices, but we’re going in informed and won’t have sticker shock. Have a reservation for pre QS dinner drinks at 515 on a day we’re planning on hitting up EEMH. Will be leaving the park around 1 PM to head back to BWV for a break.

I think that’s everything. Should we or shouldn’t we? My gut says no and money is better spent elsewhere for us, but I’m worried about my Disney FOMO kicking in 😂

I did the Cantina out in Disneyland in July and was it was sadly kinda underwhelming. Even as a Star wars fan and with others in my party who love Star Wars, it was kinda overpriced and not that great to stand around a table we were assigned, without any view of DJ Rex. Also I knew we couldn't walk around to explore as you have to stay at your table or leave once done, but it felt a little to controlled with the 20 minute line outside even though its all reservations. (Yes I know that its to manage capacity but still standing in line to go stand inside was not the best.)My first drink was the fuzzy tauntaun ($15) that has the numbing, quite tart & bitter foam, and sadly didn't like it at all. I had to force myelf to finish it since it was so expensive. Overall I was really excited to do it, but my whole party has decided that we dont need to ever do it again. I felt almost guilty not loving the experience after seeing at the positive media from influencers and bloggers on it. The blue and green milk was much more enjoyable from the stand personally, and we also loved baseline taphouse just outside Galaxy's edge: more affordable, no waiting outside, better snacks with a great charcuterie board, and friendly bartenders.

I say skip for the cost, waiting, and restrictiveness of the whole experience.

I did the Cantina out in Disneyland in July and was it was sadly kinda underwhelming. Even as a Star wars fan and with others in my party who love Star Wars, it was kinda overpriced and not that great to stand around a table we were assigned, without any view of DJ Rex. Also I knew we couldn't walk around to explore as you have to stay at your table or leave once done, but it felt a little to controlled with the 20 minute line outside even though its all reservations. (Yes I know that its to manage capacity but still standing in line to go stand inside was not the best.)My first drink was the fuzzy tauntaun ($15) that has the numbing, quite tart & bitter foam, and sadly didn't like it at all. I had to force myelf to finish it since it was so expensive. Overall I was really excited to do it, but my whole party has decided that we dont need to ever do it again. I felt almost guilty not loving the experience after seeing at the positive media from influencers and bloggers on it. The blue and green milk was much more enjoyable from the stand personally, and we also loved baseline taphouse just outside Galaxy's edge: more affordable, no waiting outside, better snacks with a great charcuterie board, and friendly bartenders.

I say skip for the cost, waiting, and restrictiveness of the whole experience.

Thank you, that’s really helpful hearing that from someone who really loves Star Wars! I was already thinking of Baseline Taphouse if we decide to cancel, seems like it might be a better option for us.

This is a MUST do why would you even not think about doing it!?

although I will follow up with that it’s a one and done thing. You get to get me ONE time with your outrageous pricing but it was a cool experience!

I don’t think it’s a must do.
It’s a once and done for us.
That being said, I’m glad we went, so my advice is to give it a try. :)

I would try it and experience it yourself. Nothing hurt doing it that way. You don’t have to do it more than once if you don’t like it.

This is a MUST do why would you even not think about doing it!?

although I will follow up with that it’s a one and done thing. You get to get me ONE time with your outrageous pricing but it was a cool experience!

Money! 😂

I justify Disney pricing much better for some things than others.

We’re going with our five-year-old but I have my reservations about taking him. He won’t be able to see, I assume can’t sit on the floor without getting sticky/stepped on, and likely won’t appreciate the atmosphere even though he may be the biggest SW fan in the house! My plan is to get one drink each (the fancy pants ones because literally the only souvenir I personally want are those cups!) and if I need to leave with The Boy, DH gets all of them :) But my FOMO is too great to not even try.

Money! 😂

I justify Disney pricing much better for some things than others.
Rather than spend your money on drinks, don’t book an ADR and stop by the Cantina for a quick tour. If you do this while the 6a crowd is in the MFSR line, you can plan on riding MF sometime between 7:30a and 8:30a when waits are at the lowest of the day.

Portugal1000 posted this today:
For anyone who would like to have a look around they were letting people in really early without reservations so I guess you could pop in and not order anything.

Rather than spend your money on drinks, don’t book an ADR and stop by the Cantina for a quick tour. If you do this while the 6a crowd is in the MFSR line, you can plan on riding MF sometime between 7:30a and 8:30a when waits are at the lowest of the day.

Portugal 1000 posted this today:

Oh that’s really helpful to know, thanks!

I definitely agree with everyone, its totally one and done. My biggest problem was that I didn't really enjoy the drinks I did have, plus for that price I do kinda wanna explore, or at least sit down. But they're right, you could just not order or just get one drink, just depends on how much FOMO you do have and what your expectations are. For me, I'm just gonna stick with Baseline, Trader Sam's, and Tambu Lounge lol

My hope is that they start to offer more things, and perhaps more actual meal items, as to make it worth it. Right now it's a neat place with a neat atmosphere, but it's certainly not on my list of top dining places to visit. I don't feel like I wasted my money, as it was a neat experience for me, but there is better value for that money. I probably would have rather taken that money and applied towards a build a droid or even lightsaber.

As with anything at Disney, I think it's always best to try things for yourself at least once. What one person loves another will hate, so the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. As others have said, you can go in and only order one drink (stick to non-alcoholic if price is a concern).

I say go and order one drink to share. That experience would be worth $15 I think.

I'm hoping eventually the rules might loosen up a bit in there. We're not going to be there for another 11 months, so we have time to cross our fingers. But even as is, I know we'd go because my kids are excited about the drinks. :)

I do like the tip about going in for an early tour without getting any drinks, though. Thanks!

My hope is that they start to offer more things, and perhaps more actual meal items, as to make it worth it. Right now it's a neat place with a neat atmosphere, but it's certainly not on my list of top dining places to visit. I don't feel like I wasted my money, as it was a neat experience for me, but there is better value for that money. I probably would have rather taken that money and applied towards a build a droid or even lightsaber.

I also hope they offer more food. I’m guessing one of the reasons they didn’t (at least at the outset) was to move people in/out more quickly.

I also hope they offer more food. I’m guessing one of the reasons they didn’t (at least at the outset) was to move people in/out more quickly.

The place is intentionally designed to be a quick visit, and AFAIK there are no plans to add a menu to it (they'd have to add all seating since the majority of the tables are without seats). I could see them lifting the drink minimum/time limit, for those who wanted to hang out longer, and *maybe* adding some other bar-style snacks, but it was always intended to be a lounge experience not a restaurant. I'm hoping they eventually put the TS restaurant that was part of the original plans back on the roster.

I think something that people make the mistake of is thinking of Oga's Cantina as a 'dining' place, not dissimilar to how people are in the mindframe of 'hotel/resort' when looking at the Halcyon (Star Wars multi-day experience). While usually when we hear 'cantina' we think something more like a Mexican restaurant, Oga's is much more in line with the traditional definition of a cantina in that it is supposed to just be a bar with maybe some light snacks.

The primary thing is you will need to temper your expectations since this is designed to be a boisterous, higher energy environment and not necessarily a place to relax and take things easy. If that is not an environment you are comfortable with or are open to appreciating for something different, then it may be better to head elsewhere for your pre-dinner drinks like Baseline Taphouse or the Brown Derby Lounge. That being said, though this is not necessarily the type of experience that I typically enjoy, it was definitely worth it to go in at least once, soak in all the little details and Easter eggs hidden throughout the bar as a Star Wars fan, and get a chance to hang out with R-3X again.

Two adults. Big Disney fans, indifferent towards Star Wars. Despite that, feel like we shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to experience it especially without our kids. Not huge drinkers but would be ordering something alcoholic. Cringing at the prices, but we’re going in informed and won’t have sticker shock. Have a reservation for pre QS dinner drinks at 515 on a day we’re planning on hitting up EEMH. Will be leaving the park around 1 PM to head back to BWV for a break.

I think that’s everything. Should we or shouldn’t we? My gut says no and money is better spent elsewhere for us, but I’m worried about my Disney FOMO kicking in 😂

Think of it like CRT (there are better places for food than there, but you're paying to eat in the castle). For Oga's, there are better drinking options if you do decide to get an alcoholic beverage. What you're really paying for is the experience to drink in a cantina that is part of official Star Wars canon. So if you care about the experience, go for it. Otherwise it probably really isn't worth it, especially if not huge drinkers (which like I said you'll probably find better options elsewhere).

And I say this who hasn't been but is planning on fully immersing himself in the Star Wars presence when he visits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter