Offsite + Rented scooter?

concertkatie

DIS Veteran
Planning a potential solo trip for the fall. Not sure if I want to stay on site or not, but want to try and rent a scooter for the length of the trip in hopes of saving some money on daily rentals and making sure one is available to me. If I stay off site, what would be the best transportation to get to the parks? Staying on site isn't too much more expensive but I am a bit paranoid about getting on the bus with the scooter without anyone to help me.

Can you be more specific about your concern you'll have no one to help you get a scooter onto a Disney bus? Are you talking about the sort of scooter that disassembles? If so, you wouldn't be taking it apart to get onto a bus on-site.

Disney buses generally pull up to the curb and lower that entire side of the bus to make the ramp easy to roll up and onto the bus. If you are accustomed to driving a scooter, it's straight up and in with maneuvering to get the scooter into parking position for the driver to fasten seatbelts over you and the scooter to secure it in place.

Getting onto the monorail is even easier. A CM will place a portable ramp for you. You drive the scooter up it and into the car, stopping and turning off the scooter. Straight shot, simple as that.

We haven't ridden the Skyliner, so I don't have any suggestions for it.

The heaviest part of a collapsible scooter weighs between 20 and 50 pounds, depending on the model and the battery (which is often the heaviest part). Can you lift that from ground into your vehicle?

Planning a potential solo trip for the fall. Not sure if I want to stay on site or not, but want to try and rent a scooter for the length of the trip in hopes of saving some money on daily rentals and making sure one is available to me. If I stay off site, what would be the best transportation to get to the parks? Staying on site isn't too much more expensive but I am a bit paranoid about getting on the bus with the scooter without anyone to help me.
you will always have the bus driver who will help you with parking. the main thing to remember about the ramp is to go straight all the way to the end either up or down. if you decide to stay offsite are you going to be able to take scooter apart and lift into car trunk then put back together by yourself? I would be more worried about that than parking of the buses. been there and done it

I'm still trying to figure everything out so I don't know what kind of scooter I will be renting yet. My disability is CP and mostly affects my legs so I do have some upper body strength but I am not sure if it is lifting 50lbs worth. 20lbs I probably can do. I looked at Gold Mobility and there doesn't seem to be much savings with renting it from them for 5 days or getting it at the park for 5 days - it would just be a matter of availability. I do not intend to have my own vehicle - which is why I am asking about transportation options from potential off site hotels. The off site I am looking for does say it offers a "shuttle" but I'm not sure yet what that looks like versus the resort buses. I have taken the resort buses in the past, but never with my own scooter.

Have you looked into Mears Taxi service? They have vans that accommodate scooters. Depending on availability, you can schedule rides to and from parks. Regular taxi fares apply. And your first driver may be willing to drive you all over...get his phone number!

I think it will be way less stressful to stay onsite. You won't have to rely on any other shuttle or taxi service and nothing beats the Disney busses for convenience. You can come and go as you please to the parks and back to the room without having to pay extra, etc. Taking the ECV on the bus is very doable and the bus drivers are very helpful and usually funny and make it a great experience. I bet on my last trip I had more than half ask if I wanted THEM to park my scooter while I sat in a seat. Most will be happy to park it for you. Even when my family is with me we often split up (they wait in the regular line or go to the park earlier or later than me) and they really aren't helpful when they are with me - haha! I can carry everything I need in the front scooter basket.

Perhaps by the time of your trip the Minnie Van service will be back (if you want to pay for private transportation). I often look at staying offsite to save money but always end up back onsite because nothing really can beat the convenience for me of being able to come and go as I please to the parks or Disney Springs or whatever and have free transport waiting for me to go anywhere on property for most hours of the day.

Honestly, I have been going solo for many, many years staying onsite with a scooter and I never felt I needed to be with someone to ride the buses... I've traveled with family and much as I love them, they're no help boarding the bus LOL Drivers are very understanding and will go out of their way to be helpful to you. the first time you do it, it might seem intimidating but after awhile, you will be a pro... and with that comes freedom to come and go as you please.

I've owned DVC for many years so am onsite regularly but honestly even if I didn't I would never want to stay offsite and deal with transporting a scooter. Having it and being onsite where I can use Disney transport is what makes those solo trips really special.

It's sounding like I'll be fine on the buses. I was just seeing a lot of "it's only pixie dust for the drivers to help you" but I guess if I am struggling they have no choice but to help me or we'll be there all day LOL Usually by the end of the trip I am a scooter pro but it always takes me a few days to remember what I am doing with them. And it's not looking like the savings for any off site hotel will be worth it if I'm always paying for alternate transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter