Offsite ECV Rental at Disneyland Questions

LadyRozalin

Earning My Ears
I am planning ahead for a trip to Disneyland/California Adventure for May 2023, and I have some questions.

First, some information.
My group is 8 people, 6 of which will need ECVs.
We are larger, but I believe everyone is about or under 350lbs,
We are staying in a rented house about 1.5 miles away from Disney.
Our overall trip will be a 10 day trip, however we only need the ECVs for 7 of those days.
(1st Night Downtown Disney, then I have 5 day park tickets I'm spreading out over 6 days).

After much deliberation, we're thinking of renting the ECVs offsite and then riding them to/from the park everyday. That would be 3 miles, and then the average inside Disneyland is said to be 10 miles. I need an ECV that would be able to do this without a recharge in the middle, because I've read that actually finding a convenient place to charge is pretty difficult for 1 ECV, and we'll have 6!

So, after looking through the boards, it seems the two favorites are Deckert and Select Mobility.

Select Mobility has a pretty detailed website. Deckert...not so much.
I tried emailing Deckert for more info, and have been met with silence so far.
I am SUPER anxious over the phone and would like to avoid that if possible. (Though I know I will eventually have to make those calls, and will, I just feel extra anxiety over doing so just to pester them with questions).

I found Select Mobility to have a rental ECV that does up to 400lb weight limit, up to 16 mi/charge, top speed 5.3 mph. They will deliver to a home/airbnb rental. Price was $45/day.

Does anyone know what Deckert's ECV stats are? General Prices? Is it comparable?

Has anyone dealt with both of these companies in the past, and have a preference? Does anyone know what either company's policy is on Theft, do they offer insurance or make you sign a waiver?

Is there a certain time you need to return ECVs? If I'm out late on Saturday night to catch the nighttime shows in the park, will I have to tack on an extra day to my rental to actually return it?

Side question, is there any rule in the park about whether your ECV should have 3 wheels or 4? I think I prefer the 3 wheels for maneuverability, but wanted to make sure there isn't a rule on which is allowed.

Thanks in advance!

Can you ride (are there sidewalks, etc) from your rented home safely? What are the laws about it in the area?

Reviews all indicated it was walkable. Asked the property manager and he said there were good sidewalks the whole way there and back, and that previous tenants had done the same thing. :)

Not sure about laws, didn't know there could be laws restricting them actually...kind of just assumed that since they were mobility aides used commonly by disabled persons that such a law would be pretty messed up. I'll try to see if I can find anything on it, though.

Reviews all indicated it was walkable. Asked the property manager and he said there were good sidewalks the whole way there and back, and that previous tenants had done the same thing. :)

Not sure about laws, didn't know there could be laws restricting them actually...kind of just assumed that since they were mobility aides used commonly by disabled persons that such a law would be pretty messed up. I'll try to see if I can find anything on it, though.
Being California, who knows what they have for laws, LOL! They seem to have new ones every time I look :) Just wondering if you are supposed to drive them on a sidewalk, or on the street - what do the laws there state?

Just wondering if you are supposed to drive them on a sidewalk, or on the street - what do the laws there state?
I would be highly surprised if required to use the street — usually ECVs would be banned from use in a roadway where regular vehicles travel. Unsafe. Stick to the sidewalks, maybe single file depending on width of the sidewalk.

I would be highly surprised if required to use the street — usually ECVs would be banned from use in a roadway where regular vehicles travel. Unsafe. Stick to the sidewalks, maybe single file depending on width of the sidewalk.
Interestingly, the only thing DH and I have found about restrictions in California state that they can be used on roads, doesn't say they can't be used on sidewalks, see link here.

Some cities, such as this one have specific rules about bike trails, but that is all.

I am planning ahead for a trip to Disneyland/California Adventure for May 2023, and I have some questions.

First, some information.
My group is 8 people, 6 of which will need ECVs.
We are larger, but I believe everyone is about or under 350lbs,
We are staying in a rented house about 1.5 miles away from Disney.
Our overall trip will be a 10 day trip, however we only need the ECVs for 7 of those days.
(1st Night Downtown Disney, then I have 5 day park tickets I'm spreading out over 6 days).

After much deliberation, we're thinking of renting the ECVs offsite and then riding them to/from the park everyday. That would be 3 miles, and then the average inside Disneyland is said to be 10 miles. I need an ECV that would be able to do this without a recharge in the middle, because I've read that actually finding a convenient place to charge is pretty difficult for 1 ECV, and we'll have 6!

So, after looking through the boards, it seems the two favorites are Deckert and Select Mobility.

Select Mobility has a pretty detailed website. Deckert...not so much.
I tried emailing Deckert for more info, and have been met with silence so far.
I am SUPER anxious over the phone and would like to avoid that if possible. (Though I know I will eventually have to make those calls, and will, I just feel extra anxiety over doing so just to pester them with questions).

I found Select Mobility to have a rental ECV that does up to 400lb weight limit, up to 16 mi/charge, top speed 5.3 mph. They will deliver to a home/airbnb rental. Price was $45/day.

Does anyone know what Deckert's ECV stats are? General Prices? Is it comparable?

Has anyone dealt with both of these companies in the past, and have a preference? Does anyone know what either company's policy is on Theft, do they offer insurance or make you sign a waiver?

Is there a certain time you need to return ECVs? If I'm out late on Saturday night to catch the nighttime shows in the park, will I have to tack on an extra day to my rental to actually return it?

Side question, is there any rule in the park about whether your ECV should have 3 wheels or 4? I think I prefer the 3 wheels for maneuverability, but wanted to make sure there isn't a rule on which is allowed.

Thanks in advance!
Select Mobility is the better choice in my opinion simply due to the fact that they are located across the street from Disneyland, so if there is an issue, it is easier to get them to assist. Not saying Deckert won't assist, just the location of each makes Select far easier. Additionally, Select Mobility uses extended batteries that are above the normal standard, I don't know if Deckert does as well. Given the distance though, you may want to ask about the larger Maximas, as they will have larger batteries since it sounds like putting them in a car isn't going to be something you are looking at doing. Select does not make you sign a damage waiver, no fees, I do not know with Deckert.

Something else to consider is scooter rentals is not Deckert's primary business, it is the primary business for Select Mobility.

I know this will sound odd, but given the number of scooters needed, I would book as soon as possible, I believe Select Mobility will book up to a year in advance.

I'm also leaning Select Mobility over Deckert. To sum up from the thread so far:

Select Mobility
-Has been recommended here as much if not more than Deckert.
-Info is easily available.
-Located across the street.
-ECVs are their primary business.
-They use extended batteries.

Deckert
-Many here DO also recommend this company.
-Still hasn't contacted me back.
-Located a bit further away.
-ECVs NOT their primary business.
-Info on them and their ECVs hard to find.

So I still don't know how Deckert's actual ECVs compare to Select Mobility.
I DO know that Select Mobility has ECVs that fit my needed parameters and are reasonably priced.
I am planning to book as soon as possible, however it's still a little over a year, and I'm not quite ready yet. Will do it asap though, thanks for the tips and warnings!

When I contact Select, I will ask about the Pride Maximas, thank you! No, putting them in a car won't be a thing for us. Larger batteries would be a bonus! I'll see what they recommend for my group and situation.

Things I still have questions about:
-Park Rules: Does Disneyland have rules about ECV size or number of wheels? I'd hate to rent 6 of these things and then be denied entrance to the park with them.
-Returns: Is there a certain time it has to be back by? Do I need to tack an extra day onto the rentals if I need them later to catch nighttime shows the last night of renting?
-Theft: I see that Select doesn't make you sign a damage waiver. I'm more worried about if I go on a ride and have to leave them unattended and they get stolen, am I liable?

Whichever mobility company you choose, do let them know what your plans are (to ride from the rental home to the Parks and back every day).

The vendor will most likely want to make sure that their equipment can realistically handle what you have planned for it.

Additionally, the last time our (adult) daughter was out there, she stayed about a half mile off site, and had planned to walk to DL. She quickly found out that in the area of her hotel, there were a LOT of homeless folks. She said that most of them seemed harmless, but there were a few who were concerning. She wound up using Uber to get back and forth the the hotel; apparently there was a rather large encampment that had sprung up next to the ART bus stop closest to her hotel.

We agreed that the next time we go out that way, we will either stay at a Disney Resort, or we will just budget for Uber/Lyft, or rent a vehicle that can handle my mobility device.

You may want to ask either your landlord, or your vendor what the current situation in that area that you will be staying in is so that you can plan accordingly.

I will definitely let them know! I want to make sure their equipment can handle it, too...last thing I want is to get stuck somewhere. When I'm ready to actually book for sure, I plan on having a good conversation with them and hammering out the details of what will work best. Being right across the street, it might be possible to just pick up/drop off right at their store daily, if driving it to/from the rental is too much. I'm sure they'll work with me to find the best solution to my particular situation.

Thank you for bringing up the potential issue of not feeling safe during the ride to/from the rental. First, a comment. Homeless are usually fairly harmless, as you said. They can be concerning at times, yes, especially if they are unfortunately suffering from mental issues and/or into drugs. I have ample experience walking through areas with heavy homeless populations though, having spent a year living in San Francisco in the tenderloin and also now living quite near Philadelphia and spending a lot of time there on foot as well. I've never been accosted as long as I mind my own business and move at a brisk no-nonsense pace. That might be different on an ECV, as you're kinda stuck at it's pace and can't maneuver as well as on foot. Also, I know we'll be a parade of ECVs...lol. But I'm not afraid of homeless, generally not an issue for me. They're just people, like anyone else, just on hard times. And probably hungry. :(

There were so many reviews on the property, but I read them all, and not a one commented on having issues walking the route from the house to the park and back. Every comment on the area said it was a quiet and comfortable area. No mentions of difficulty with the terrain, and no mentions of feeling uncomfortable or unsafe. I also messaged the property manager to ask about the logistics of storing/charging the ECVs, he said it was totally doable and mentioned that renters had used ECVs and stayed there before with no problems.

That being said, I did go ahead and budget a cushion for Lyft back and forth from the parks once a day for my entire group, just as a contingency. I'd rather not be stuck anywhere, so I figured I'd work it in there and if we don't have to spend it, great, but if we do, at least I know it's there.

I'm also leaning Select Mobility over Deckert. To sum up from the thread so far:

Select Mobility
-Has been recommended here as much if not more than Deckert.
-Info is easily available.
-Located across the street.
-ECVs are their primary business.
-They use extended batteries.

Deckert
-Many here DO also recommend this company.
-Still hasn't contacted me back.
-Located a bit further away.
-ECVs NOT their primary business.
-Info on them and their ECVs hard to find.

So I still don't know how Deckert's actual ECVs compare to Select Mobility.
I DO know that Select Mobility has ECVs that fit my needed parameters and are reasonably priced.
I am planning to book as soon as possible, however it's still a little over a year, and I'm not quite ready yet. Will do it asap though, thanks for the tips and warnings!

When I contact Select, I will ask about the Pride Maximas, thank you! No, putting them in a car won't be a thing for us. Larger batteries would be a bonus! I'll see what they recommend for my group and situation.

Things I still have questions about:
-Park Rules: Does Disneyland have rules about ECV size or number of wheels? I'd hate to rent 6 of these things and then be denied entrance to the park with them.
-Returns: Is there a certain time it has to be back by? Do I need to tack an extra day onto the rentals if I need them later to catch nighttime shows the last night of renting?
-Theft: I see that Select doesn't make you sign a damage waiver. I'm more worried about if I go on a ride and have to leave them unattended and they get stolen, am I liable?
Any that Select rents will be allowed in all of the local theme parks. With Select, you will tell them when you plan on returning and given the number they will likely cut you a deal just like if you are going over 6 days you get a good discount.

As for theft, ALWAYS take your key with you, the exceptions are sometimes Rise of the Resistance and Smugglers Run, but CMs are right there by them. I still try to take my key with me on Rise, Smugglers will be in a room where no one else can get to it most of the time. And honestly, I don't know their policy on theft, best to ask them when you call to book and I would call rather than booking on their website given the quantity, that way they can give you a custom quote.

Also for Lyft, be sure to budget for accessible ones, which are more expensive.

Last edited:
I’ve never had issues with the homeless in the area and several have gotten off the sidewalk so I could pass since the sidewalks are so narrow in places. I’m guessing Disney would take action if any of them were actually bothering guests. This was pre-pandemic though.

Bigger safety issue is likely no crossing lights in residential areas and vehicles parked in driveways that block the sidewalk.

Another option is to rent a cheaper hotel off-site and take the ART bus to the park. There was a stop at my hotel and 2 accessible spots on each bus.

I’ve never had issues with the homeless in the area and several have gotten off the sidewalk so I could pass since the sidewalks are so narrow in places. I’m guessing Disney would take action if any of them were actually bothering guests. This was pre-pandemic though.

Bigger safety issue is likely no crossing lights in residential areas and vehicles parked in driveways that block the sidewalk.

Another option is to rent a cheaper hotel off-site and take the ART bus to the park. There was a stop at my hotel and 2 accessible spots on each bus.
With 6 ECVs, that would be a minimum of 3 busses that are an average 30 minutes apart, so that may not be a viable choice for the OP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter