Officially terrified for MK this Sat [2/23/19]

sageandbelle

Earning My Ears
Hey guys. I'm an Orlando local but really don't go to Disney that often as I don't have the time. My friends and I have been trying to do spontaneous trips recently so we don't plan much of anything...but I have never seen crowd levels like this. I plan on going this Saturday, 2-23-19 which is a half marathon weekend and I am WORRIED! My friends are not planners in the slightest so rope drop is a no go and neither is advance fast passes. We will make fast passes when we get there with what's available. Am I shooting myself in the foot with this trip? I am so excited to finally go but I feel like I am going to be so disappointed when I see the crowd level and wait times. And no I can't switch the date, this is the only time I have time away from work. Any tips?

Well, most frequent park goers try to avoid MK on Saturdays to begin with. And Saturdays at the end of a busy vacation week (those from NE have this week off) is crazy to begin with. Add it being a race weekend? I would be sure to take your patience pills with you!!!!! Just go with the flow, so to speak.

I don't really see it as a big deal. So it'll be crowded. And? You're still getting the opportunity to spend the day in MK. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Rope drop isn't necessary at all. If you use MDE well, refresh for FP+ and have a bit of patience, I'll bet you have a wonderful time!

Let's break this down a bit. Park hours on Saturday are currently 9am-11pm. While I'm a rope drop fan and it doesn't sound like that's in the cards for you, there are still a lot of available hours in the day to work with.

The Festival of Fantasy Parade will be at 3pm.

Happily Ever After will be at 8pm.

As @yulilin3 notes, Mobile Ordering is great! Some of those quick service lines can be stout.

Are you up to speed with how to use the app / search FPs day of and are your profiles all connected?

Study up on the Times Guide below.

These boards have a tendency to over-emphasize the doom and gloom of crowds, but there is still a lot of fun to be had. Will it be crowded? Sure (it always is), but a bit of advance prep and a flexible attitude can often go a long way.

Have fun!

MKfeb.17,2019.png

If I had to choose between the busiest day at MK and not being at MK, I’d choose being at MK every time. No matter how busy (and I have been on NYE - one of the busiest days of the year).

Others above have great suggestions. Mobile ordering is your friend. FoF parade is excellent, you can see HEA, etc. We love taking in all the MK entertainment/atmosphere - Dapper Dans, Casey’s Corner piano player, Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire, Hoedown Happening, trolley show, etc. But we love to do those things even on the slower days anyway. Part of the magic of MK for us is the atmosphere.

And, you can still get on rides and book FP in the park. You’ll just have to wait in some long lines and do some refreshing for FP.

One question - do they not want to book advance FP because they don’t want to buy tickets ahead of time? Or just because they don’t want the day planned? It’s not like you have to use the FP you pre-book if you don’t want to - you could always switch them to something else if the timing doesn’t work out.

I would go in a minute.

I can't emphasize refreshing for FPs enough! Use MDE, make a FP+ for whatever is available. Then modify the time. Click the different time options until closer to want you want appears. (Sometimes it would take me 5-10 minutes of doing this until I got anything... the system would just say nothing available til boom, there it was!). Then if it isn't the ride you want... continue to refresh. It worked for us every time. Don't forget after you use the first 3 FPs, you can make more. Use MDE to make more as soon as you tap into that third ride. Have fun!!! I'm 800 miles away and would love to be in MK even on a crazy Saturday :)

I am local and went to MK on Monday (President's Day). I did have a couple of FPs I got the day before (Pirates and Jungle Cruise). I was able to get Haunted Mansion while there too. But, what really changed the game was staying late. The HE show was at 8:00 that night and the park closed at 10:00. From 6:30-10:00, We rode 7 rides, including getting a FP for Peter Pan at 8:50. I was also able to get on the 7 Dwarves ride at 9:30 with only a 30 minute wait. We didn't get to the park until 11:00 that morning.

Getting single FP’s by refreshing is very doable. You may have to refresh a lot though. Hopefully MDE will be working well that day in the park. If you get kicked out, sign in again. Takes work but worth it. Do all your friends have a MDE account?

I'll be there too!! Coming in for race weekend! Here's one bonus for going later in the day.... Those of us running the half marathon on Sunday have to get up at like 2:30 am to get on the bus for a 5:30 race start so we'll all be clearing out of the park early!! :rotfl2: I'm doing the 10k Saturday too so I'll be beat! Probably falling asleep by 6!!

Hey guys. I'm an Orlando local but really don't go to Disney that often as I don't have the time. My friends and I have been trying to do spontaneous trips recently so we don't plan much of anything...but I have never seen crowd levels like this. I plan on going this Saturday, 2-23-19 which is a half marathon weekend and I am WORRIED! My friends are not planners in the slightest so rope drop is a no go and neither is advance fast passes. We will make fast passes when we get there with what's available. Am I shooting myself in the foot with this trip? I am so excited to finally go but I feel like I am going to be so disappointed when I see the crowd level and wait times. And no I can't switch the date, this is the only time I have time away from work. Any tips?
I suggest arriving as early as possible and get the most important fast passes you can and roll with it, marathon people do not stay late at the parks so stay as late as you can

As others have said.
Just go in with the expectation that it will be crowded, you can't change that.
Your friends aren't planners, you can't change that.
Get the FPs you can, ride the attractions that you can and enjoy the park and friends.
Doing anything else, will only make the experience less enjoyable for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter