Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

congrats to everyone on their 20 milers! i am very jealous! what a great accomplishment!

also thank you to cruz for the great words of encouragement.

after a really annoying knee thing, not running for almost 5 weeks, and a cortisone injection, i'm kinda sorta back in the game. it's not the training i had imagined but it's something. i had an 18 miler at the beginning of november. i was finally able to 10 on thursday. an interval of run 15 sec/walk 45 sec. it was slow for me but well within the pace requirements. i'm going to go for 16 next week, then 10, then race. i won't be able to do the big taper since i won't have gone up to 20 but i'm hoping that my 18 in november and the 16 next week and sheer determination will get me through.

good luck to those still about to get their long runs in this weekend. and to those hurting post-run? ice, rest, and eat christmas cookies :)

We can do it!! I'm starting my 3rd week of no running and got an injection as well. I did 18 two weeks ago so even if I can't get 20 miles in this upcoming weekend I'm hoping it's enough!

I'm sure the other Floridians will back me up on this one...Florida weather this time of year is especially unpredictable. Even several days out, the forecast can change pretty radically with weather systems not dipping as far south as they expect or moving faster or more slowly. Until it's much closer to race weekend, I'm not going to be too worried about rain or temperatures. Prepare for everything (ice to blazing heat) and hope for the best. :)

Has a lot to do with an anticipated front , pacific or arctic and the energy associated with the front. Not a lot of accuracy at this point.

If it is any comfort, the winter is the dry period for the Florida peninsula. Since 99, measurable heavy rain has only occurred once during the 2002 marathon. We did have sleet/snow in the 2010 half marathon but only a drizzle at best. The 2009 marathon had a nice downpour about 30-45 minutes after the last runner came in; but I do not count that as a rain race.

So one could look at this as it is rare, or we are due.

Let me say that if it does rain over the weekend now is the time to plan and think about it.

First, put a trash sack in your packing pile. You can push a hole in the very center of the bottom of the bag and then slide over your head, with your head poking through the hole. It makes a great rain poncho pre-race. Though I implore you to remove the sack as your corral is about to start and plce the bag over the fence (not in the corral). You WILL overheat quickly if you try to run with the bag on. That leads to dehydration and worse if the weather is cool, chilling. You will be wet in the bag, also.

Next, as you run on the roadways, avoid painted lines. The material used to make the paint reflective is super slick when wet. The very center of the lane as one nears any toll booth or traffic light may also be slick from oils dropped on the roadway from daily traffic.

Finally, look to avoid puddles. You do not know how deep a puddle may be and that can wreck a day. Also, your trailing foot will generally get drenched when you step into a puddle on the run. These will occur at the machining marks between lanes where the pavement changes from one to the other. There is a natural depression along the lane lines. Actually, the parks are the worse places for puddles. I find that a little weird but anytime I have been in a summer rain, i see numerous puddle along the park pathways.

There, typing all this will make the rain go away.

So glad everyone has accomplished their long runs. I did my longest run ever today at 14.2 miles. I'm ready to run the WDW 1/2 marathon!! :cheer2:

I'm not sure if taper time and the holidays are a good combination. It's going to be awfully hard to stay away from all that sugar!

Well, my last month of training did not go at all as I had hoped. My orthopedist sidelined me for two weeks following Thanksgiving and my first weekend back running went great, but my hip pain is now back with a vengeance. Long story short, the longest training run I've been able to complete is 14 miles. And yes, I'm training for the full. Haha...ha. :rolleyes1

I'm going back to the orthopedist for a follow-up on Friday and am going to ask him about a cortisone injection, but even if I get that and it works, we're talking about a 12 mile jump between my longest run and the full distance. Yikes. I'm still going to go out there and go for it (I'd rather not finish than not start) and hope that adrenaline and pixie dust get me through. Just...oof.

Well, my last month of training did not go at all as I had hoped. My orthopedist sidelined me for two weeks following Thanksgiving and my first weekend back running went great, but my hip pain is now back with a vengeance. Long story short, the longest training run I've been able to complete is 14 miles. And yes, I'm training for the full. Haha...ha. :rolleyes1

I'm going back to the orthopedist for a follow-up on Friday and am going to ask him about a cortisone injection, but even if I get that and it works, we're talking about a 12 mile jump between my longest run and the full distance. Yikes. I'm still going to go out there and go for it (I'd rather not finish than not start) and hope that adrenaline and pixie dust get me through. Just...oof.

Good luck with the doc.... If it is any help, I know that several folks have completed the marathon with a long run in that neighborhood. I would not call their race optimal, but it is possible.

Well, I sort of feel like a slacker...but on the other hand, I did my first back-to-back run (I didn't do any of them before Goofy 2010, which I completed just fine). Did 7 yesterday and 12 miles today. Somewhat limited by time, with a zillion holiday activities going on. And, I didn't want to run more than 3 hours today, anyway (ran 2:42 and bagged it). It was pretty humid, and sort of warm, but not too bad. Doing a total of 19 for the weekend is more than I have ever done for marathons and Ironman training, except one year that I ran 20 (before my first marathon) and ended up injured. Sure, it wasn't 19 all at once, but I have 2 runs close to 4 hours and another 3 hour run completed, and this weekend's runs. It will have to do. Will prob try for another 2.5-3 hour run next weekend (just on one day)...since I will have more time. But overall, I guess I'm about as ready as I ever am. Just hope I can get some mental mojo working, since this has been a bad year for endurance events for me. :rolleyes:

Not that I have to tell you this, but don't rush back from the injection if you get it! Take the extra time to make sure it's helping healing and not only masking pain!

I keep reading all the posts of the folks ready to taper and I have one more run left to do: today. I am so bored of the bare streets around me and the wind and cold, so I am heading into a forest trail to the west of Toronto. It should be about 26-30k and is beautiful. I am actually looking forward to it. Lots of elevation changes, streams, a challenging course, and should be quite peaceful. I'm hoping my sister can join me for at least part of it. Then I can taper like most of you!

My number hubby_of_newtodisney - 21684 (Goofy)
Newtodisney - 42731 (Half)

I know that we are last minute, but looking for a recommendation for customized disney-themed t-shirts companies.
Thanks.

We are running with our two daughters 14 & 18 years old in the half. Our only goal is to avoid the sag wagon!

I am going to have my biggest mental challenge today. We cannot ask DD (3) to sit in a jogging stroller for 12.5 miles, and my parents are not coming as early as we had assumed they were, so DH and I made the decision to do our last long run separately. He is out on his. When he gets back I will go out on mine. This will be my first long run done without him pushing me on. Well, after this, I am sure the Half with DH and my BFF, plus all of you other great people en masse will be a piece of cake, right? :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Nice little 4 mile run this AM. I played tag with Santa; well the early morning UPS guy as I ran through the subdivision. It was a balmy 65F with a heavy fog. I passed at least a half dozen homes with the lights on from the night before. As i crossed a creek in the subdivision i was so focussed on the big ball of sun slowly burning a hole in the fog that I missed/forgot the new planks that were installed a couple months ago. Replacing the planks is a good thing, but in this case, the profile of the new lumber is a good half inch higher than the old lumber.... these bridges are a good 30 years old and were built to help the farmer who owned to land to ford the creek. Well, I killed the toes as I tripped across the raised plank. I think no harm no fowl, other than what feels like a nail that is blistered.

After cleaning up, i winter-proofed the yard. OK, those not on the coast do not laugh. It is not a complicated process, turning off and draining the sprinkler system and moving a little mulch around the roots of a few delicate plants. Tomorrow we will cover the :flower2: plants :flower2: so an expected freeze will not kill them on Christmas night.

Hope all are having a restful Christmas Eve...

disneybass daughter is in the half marathon. Corral B bib # 43213

Was out for the last long run and scheduled for 20 miles. About mile 12, I twisted my ankle on a rock in the road. I did not fall, but my knee and ankle were hurting. At mile 16 I called DH to come pick me up. The pain on the inside of my knee stopped me from running. I could have walked the rest of the way, but I did not think that would help. It was not going to help my fitness level and it was not going to help my muscle strength. So I thought it best to just stop pushing through pain. I did 18.5 2 weeks ago. Any one who has done the training in the past, will 18.5 be enough? I'm not worried about the fitness, I'm worried about the mental stamina needed.

Merry Christmas, everyone. Hope Santa brings you everything you wished for, and maybe a surprise or two. :santa:

Looks as though many of us are pretty much in the same boat. My longest run was an 18 miler at the end of Oct. A sinus infection that took close to three weeks to kick, and then coming down with a knee issue has pretty much derailed any consistant training. I completed 7 miles yesterday with minimal knee pain (using a compression sleeve), will attempt a 14 miler next week, and then take it easy until race day. Jog, walk, waddle, limp. It's all good.

hubby_of_newtodisney - Sorry. No help on the shirt deal.

:santa:

Was out for the last long run and scheduled for 20 miles. About mile 12, I twisted my ankle on a rock in the road. I did not fall, but my knee and ankle were hurting. At mile 16 I called DH to come pick me up. The pain on the inside of my knee stopped me from running. I could have walked the rest of the way, but I did not think that would help. It was not going to help my fitness level and it was not going to help my muscle strength. So I thought it best to just stop pushing through pain. I did 18.5 2 weeks ago. Any one who has done the training in the past, will 18.5 be enough? I'm not worried about the fitness, I'm worried about the mental stamina needed.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you are a quick healer. I can't answer your question from experience, but my longest run was only 18 miles also. I'm sure we won't be alone struggling through the last 6 or 8 miles. Mentally I figure I'm really looking forward to getting to that 20 mile spectacular... then after that we have 2 more parks to run through. If that isn't enough I bet Disney magic and pixiedust: will get us through!!

You are right to worry about the mental game. But take comfort in knowing that all of us will have a mental struggle at several times through the race. There is an old saying that the mind will try to quit a thousand times before the body needs to quit. During the taper, think back through your training and make mental notes on the thoughts used to complete your runs. Keep these in mind and ready to use as you hit troubled spots on race day.

You are ready to run the marathon. It is just 7 more miles to the finish. For the Disney marathon, that includes the WWoS, DHS, the Boardwalk Resorts and Epcot. A lot of visual distractions to break up the time.

I am feeling inadequate. I planned on doing my 26-28k trail run but once into it I underestimated the time it would take to run the trail. I was out for 4 hours and covered 22k. I packed it in before the end for safety as the sun had set and i couldnt see the slick spots anymore. It was super icy and I walked as much as I ran trying to pick footfalls that looked secure. My watch stats said I climbed 750 metres and went down 650 over the run, so it certainly wasn't flat. It was rocky and stony and it kicked my butt. I am so sore in just about every muscle.

Feeling like I failed to get my distance in :-(

Decided I can't live with myself if I don't do those 4k more. Changing out of my wet running clothes and into dry ones and heading out. At least I got a 15 minute rest. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter