***Official*** Toy Story Land Information Thread

4 people each day. Thank you!

I could only check for 3 on July 6th because two people in our party only have 3 day tickets. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2;)

I was a nervous wreck when I was trying to book them and my cat kept jumping up on the desk for me to pat her. I was like really??? haha

It could be like the CM previews for FEA. They ran the day before FEA opened to guests and only CMs in their costumes were allowed to ride. They rode through an attraction where animatronics were unclothed and in some instances, had no faces. The timing of the audio still wasn't synced up with the boats...that’s why they were grabbing CMs to ride through.

TSL seems much farther along than FEA and Disney can make opening day even if things seem dire. ;)

That sounds like an interesting experience.

I’m clearly in the tiny tiny minority here, but I’m just not seeing this calamitous “they’re so behind” on TSL from the aerials and pictures we’ve gotten over the last couple of days. It looks close to done to me, with a lot of cosmetic stuff left to do, but that’s the easy part.

I’m sure I’ll be told why I’m wrong :) but everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it’s only May 3, and I think things look right on schedule for June 30 opening. As for previews, as a Passholders I of course would love one, but they’ve never been a given.

As for the land in general, I’m a huge Toy Story fan so for me just having the land, the theming, the character greets, and two new rides makes me happy. I’m also not a thrill ride fan so I wasn’t looking for anything big in that sense. (I’m not even sure I’m up for SDD, slow as it looks!) I think some who are more adventurous than me were expecting more so maybe there’s some disappointment there, and I get that.

I'm with you. To me, the land looked pretty far along a while ago. SDD has been basically complete for several months. All the buildings except one* (right next to the TSMM entrance) have been largely complete (just missing some finishing touches and facade/themeing on the outside). AS2 looks really close to finished now. The blue stuff on the roof at its previous rate of creep should cover the entire roof in a few weeks. The ride vehicles have been delivered if I remember correctly and they seem to be getting new themeing elements (Woodie, Jessie, Weezy) every few days. If you look at the concept art, it isn't a big grass area. Most of that area that looks horribly unfinished is going to be concrete walkways. I think people were expecting it to be all grass and trees. The landscaping still to be completed is likely nothing more than laying some some sod and transplanting some trees. Throw the themeing elements on the buildings and you have land.

*It looks like that building is an outdoor Carnival games station, so maybe its not as far behind as it looks since it isn't anything more than a shell with some facade anyways.

We are on the Disboards, so cynicism is almost a requirement to get your account approved. :) I'm with you though TAK. Disney never appeared to announce Toy Story Land as a "game changer" or even anywhere on par with Pandora. I think the tendency for AP holders is to become a bit jaded and even expect certain things such as previews, which are never an assumption I make. Do I think either of the new rides is going to be a Top Tier attraction? No. But neither is 7DMT or the Frozen attraction. People still get excited for them because they are new....which is something HS needs. I'm really excited to experience this through the eyes of my kids!

No previews are never a given, but as several insiders have stated multiple times Disney prefers to have previews in order to test the rides and facilities before they open at max capacity. That makes perfect sense. If they don't have previews it will be because it isn't finished in time, not because they didn't want to test it out.

As rteetz and others have posted the information indicating they are behind schedule and the related issues with AS2 roof didn't come from just looking at aerial pictures.....

I am not basing things off of opinions. I have friends who know things regarding progress of this land and other projects at WDW.

Okay. But it's fair to say you're one of the few with said insider info, and not really who I was thinking of when I posted. I see a lot of people saying, "Based on what I saw on GMA" or "From that aerial photo" (which is from March), and from those things, I'm not getting the same impression they are.
I still think they'll be fine for June 30, and since that's all we've been promised, that's all I'm worried about. Whatever late night sweats and internal hand-wringing and stress Disney has to go through to get it there isn't something I worry about.

Okay. But it's fair to say you're one of the few with said insider info, and not really who I was thinking of when I posted. I see a lot of people saying, "Based on what I saw on GMA" or "From that aerial photo" (which is from March), and from those things, I'm not getting the same impression they are.
I still think they'll be fine for June 30, and since that's all we've been promised, that's all I'm worried about. Whatever late night sweats and internal hand-wringing and stress Disney has to go through to get it there isn't something I worry about.
I can agree with that. I also say they will be ready for June 30th. It’s the previews that I would be worried about.

I can agree with that. I also say they will be ready for June 30th. It’s the previews that I would be worried about.

And I can agree on that. :) But I never counted on them, to save myself possible disappointment, so I’m good. We have a trip planned in July.

And I didn't mean to imply I didn't think they'd be ready for the June 30 opening; I was just grousing about the previews. We're not going to be back to Disney for MUCH longer than I'd like, and I'm grumpy about having to wait until then to experience Toy Story Land.

It's just really annoying when Disney refuses to honor my schedule. :crazy2:

I know this is pure speculation, but would love to get some opinions on the necessity of a FP for AS2.

Last year we went just a week or so after Pandora opened, and we planned 2 days at AK so we could get FPs for both FoP and Na'vi River. As it turned out, we could have handled the walk-on line for Na'vi River, and I wished I had used that day of FPs for another park.

This year, we'll be there about a month after TSL opens. I'm getting a similar vibe about AS2 as I had about Na'vi. I'll gladly stand in line for say, up to an hour, to avoid having to burn a whole day of FPs at HS. What do you guys think? Does it seem likely? I don't want to risk missing the ride altogether or having to stand in line for 3 hours, but I'd also really prefer to use that day of FPs at Epcot so I can do Soarin or FEA (we're already doing one day and FPing Test Track).

I know there are no guarantees here, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting a similar feeling comparing the two?

Last edited:
I know this is pure speculation, but would love to get some opinions on the necessity of a FP for AS2.

Last year we went just a week or so after Pandora opened, and we planned 2 days at AK so we could get FPs for both FoP and RoL. As it turned out, we could have handled the walk-on line for RoL, and I wished I had used that day of FPs for another park.

This year, we'll be there about a month after TSL opens. I'm getting a similar vibe about AS2 as I had about RoL. I'll gladly stand in line for say, up to an hour, to avoid having to burn a whole day of FPs at HS. What do you guys think? Does it seem likely? I don't want to risk missing the ride altogether or having to stand in line for 3 hours, but I'd also really prefer to use that day of FPs at Epcot so I can do Soarin or FEA (we're already doing one day and FPing Test Track).

I know there are no guarantees here, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting a similar feeling comparing two?

I was just thinking the same thing after seeing FP availability so far for ***. It seems like a good candidate for rope drop, as I imagine several people will go to SDD and TSM first. I have back to back days planned for HS right now(it is my favorite park...when it had more to do) but 2 days of HS seems like a bit much, but fortunately we are staying at Beach Club, so we could walk to Epcot if necessary. Anyone else thinking the same thing?

I'm also not sure what to expect for a 7 AM rope drop the week Toy Story Land opens....I've never done 7 AM rope drop before.

I was just thinking the same thing after seeing FP availability so far for ***. It seems like a good candidate for rope drop, as I imagine several people will go to SDD and TSM first. I have back to back days planned for HS right now(it is my favorite park...when it had more to do) but 2 days of HS seems like a bit much, but fortunately we are staying at Beach Club, so we could walk to Epcot if necessary. Anyone else thinking the same thing?

I'm also not sure what to expect for a 7 AM rope drop the week Toy Story Land opens....I've never done 7 AM rope drop before.
I'm with you on the rope drop. We have to rope drop for JTA though!!!! So although we'll head straight over to TSL after registering, we'll be too late to save a ton of time I would guess. I had actually been hoping to hop on TSM at that point, thinking more people would be heading to SDD and AS2.

Last year we went just a week or so after Pandora opened, and we planned 2 days at AK so we could get FPs for both FoP and RoL. As it turned out, we could have handled the walk-on line for RoL, and I wished I had used that day of FPs for another park.

This year, we'll be there about a month after TSL opens. I'm getting a similar vibe about AS2 as I had about RoL. I'll gladly stand in line for say, up to an hour, to avoid having to burn a whole day of FPs at HS. What do you guys think? Does it seem likely? I don't want to risk missing the ride altogether or having to stand in line for 3 hours, but I'd also really prefer to use that day of FPs at Epcot so I can do Soarin or FEA (we're already doing one day and FPing Test Track).

I know there are no guarantees here, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting a similar feeling comparing two?
I think AS2 will have a lower wait than SDD however I’m not sure it will have died down much at all a month after opening. We really have no way of knowing just how long lines will be until it opens. We can compare to Carsland but even then this is the new thing for WDW which could result in major wait times.

I know there are no guarantees here, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting a similar feeling comparing the two?

It may not be an E-Ticket ride, but neither is Navi River and somehow it still draws large crowds.

OMG, reading this I realized that somehow I typed RoL but I totally meant Na'vi River!!!! I am editing now. :facepalm:

haha is it weird that I actually assumed you MEANT Na'vi River? That's how I read it! (and that was before you edited, based on the time stamp ha!)

I am thinking that rather than previews, we are more likely to see surprise soft openings close to June 30th. I will there the week before so maybe it is wishful thinking on my part but I have a hard time imagining them opening full force without any kind of run-throughs.

Actually I agree with you at this point. I think they might schedule a handful of CM previews right before, because with CMs the place can look a bit more of a mess and it doesn't matter. Then I would guess in the few days leading up there might be soft openings for an hour or two just to test out last minute kinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter