****Official Thanksgiving 2020 Thread****

Where are you, if you dont mind me asking.

I am in Kentucky. We felt the same way when telling the girls NOT to tell anyone - that felt like we were lying. We aren't, but hard to explain that! When she told me she shared it I lost it a little bit on her (as did DH) and she started crying. And then we felt TERRIBLE! She shouldn't have to carry the burden that we are carrying. So we apologized, watched another Star Wars movie and all was forgiven. But just add that to the list of things that have come up in the planning of this trip!

I have very low expectations for lots of things...but I do expect to feel a weight off my shoulders when we arrive. I don't know if that will happen, but I am hoping it will!

I am in Kentucky. We felt the same way when telling the girls NOT to tell anyone - that felt like we were lying. We aren't, but hard to explain that! When she told me she shared it I lost it a little bit on her (as did DH) and she started crying. And then we felt TERRIBLE! She shouldn't have to carry the burden that we are carrying. So we apologized, watched another Star Wars movie and all was forgiven. But just add that to the list of things that have come up in the planning of this trip!

I have very low expectations for lots of things...but I do expect to feel a weight off my shoulders when we arrive. I don't know if that will happen, but I am hoping it will!

Good for you guys - it's hard to realize and say out loud oops sorry to your kid. But you're right - they shouldn't have to carry it - it's not quite a black and white explanation so it makes it that much harder to digest for them.

Yes for sure on both counts - I really do think once we get there and are under the jurisdiction of Disney (so not the airport) we will feel less of the anxiety and more of the excitement.

what are you MOST looking forward to/What is the first thing you'll do when you get there?
1. Fun fact: My wife and I did HS last fall, the week after Star Wars opened. We only walked around. I promised my kids we wouldn't do any of the new rides without them. (including SDD). So we are looking forward to the 4 new rides at HS as a family!
2. Seeing Disney Christmas decorations for the first time (we always see the Fall decor)
3. We love eating in the castle

First thing: we are relaxing at the hotel and having dinner at Paddlefish

The emotional roller coaster continues lol. As of now we are heading down Monday. I did switch flights and airports so now we are flying out of Detroit - which means a much shorter drive and no hotel stay at the airport. That puts me at ease some. Unless something changes in the next few days I believe we will be in our way. I still haven’t brought myself to think about packing / but the suitcases and Minnie ears are out so that’s a start!

The emotional roller coaster continues lol. As of now we are heading down Monday. I did switch flights and airports so now we are flying out of Detroit - which means a much shorter drive and no hotel stay at the airport. That puts me at ease some. Unless something changes in the next few days I believe we will be in our way. I still haven’t brought myself to think about packing / but the suitcases and Minnie ears are out so that’s a start!

I'm happy to hear that you found a way around the hotel situation - that is definitely preferable to the first plan.
I started officially packing last night - Things are officially in packing cubes. I'm not done - but it is on its way.

I have started packing as well! Going ahead with our plans for now, prepared to bail if necessary, but with our room upgrade, it’s going to be pretty dire for me to bail at this point 🤣 actually hoping that maybe with enough people cancelling, the holiday won’t be as crowded as we initially feared?!?

I have started packing as well! Going ahead with our plans for now, prepared to bail if necessary, but with our room upgrade, it’s going to be pretty dire for me to bail at this point 🤣 actually hoping that maybe with enough people cancelling, the holiday won’t be as crowded as we initially feared?!?

yes actually I think it won't be as crowded as we thought it might be a few days ago.

As far as DVC goes - I have been searching literally 4 times a week - to see how availability looked for this week.
Two weeks ago - nothing was really available for thanksgiving day, and you would have to hop from resort to resort to piece a full week together.

This week, right now - you can stay a full 8 days in a studio in saratoga springs, you can spend five days, four nights in a row including thanksgiving in a Beach Club 1 bedroom, also in a Polynesian studio room, Bay Lake has a lot more availability than before as well.
Riviera was solidly booked - no room availability and now there is A TON.

Also YAY to packing! What room upgrade did you get??

yes actually I think it won't be as crowded as we thought it might be a few days ago.

As far as DVC goes - I have been searching literally 4 times a week - to see how availability looked for this week.
Two weeks ago - nothing was really available for thanksgiving day, and you would have to hop from resort to resort to piece a full week together.

This week, right now - you can stay a full 8 days in a studio in saratoga springs, you can spend five days, four nights in a row including thanksgiving in a Beach Club 1 bedroom, also in a Polynesian studio room, Bay Lake has a lot more availability than before as well.
Riviera was solidly booked - no room availability and now there is A TON.

Also YAY to packing! What room upgrade did you get??

I don’t know how to just quote part of your post! We were upgraded from Movies to Nemo Suite! It’s not a deluxe, but we have 3 kids that are 9, 7, and 2...they will flip out when we get there! And we paid $140/night while rack rate is $565! Splurging for us one year was a TA special for $199 at Port Orleans so this will be a real treat! I’m actually planning to take cards, dominos, hot wheels etc to just hang out in the room if crowds are too bad!

I don’t know how to just quote part of your post! We were upgraded from Movies to Nemo Suite! It’s not a deluxe, but we have 3 kids that are 9, 7, and 2...they will flip out when we get there! And we paid $140/night while rack rate is $565! Splurging for us one year was a TA special for $199 at Port Orleans so this will be a real treat! I’m actually planning to take cards, dominos, hot wheels etc to just hang out in the room if crowds are too bad!

taking that stuff is a fantastic idea! and OMG they are going to LOVE that room!!! Do they know yet that the room was upgraded? It will be a very fun surprise.

We're taking games too but I also want to save some room in the luggage because there are some games I've seen via Youtube vloggers AT the resort stores - like Disney themed Clue, and the Jungle Cruise game - I've always wanted to buy a disney board game so I figure this is a great excuse haha

Does the Nemo Suite come with a microwave? I ask because another thing we thought would be fun is to take some microwave popcorn with us or just get it at the resort, and some fun goofy's candy co options, and do movie night together in our room. For example - we are bringing our streaming device to try and watch Mandolorian together, and the new Lego Star Wars Holiday Special.

I'm keeping that in my back pocket in case we have to retreat back to the room - there's still something "fun" to do.

No, the kids have no idea! I’ve shown them pics for “someday” and they think it looks cool. Yes On the microwave in the room. That will actually be a huge lifesaver! I may have to check out some of their games in the stores. We have a Frozen memory game for small kids but that’s about it on the themed stuff.
im actually thinking our elf may make an appearance at some point on the trip with snacks, bubble bath and new Christmas Mickey pjs. But then he will likely get quarantined until closer to Christmas 🤣

I have noticed that the park reservation system has way more availability than it did a week or so ago. Do we think this is because of the 35% capacity change, or are a bunch of people cancelling due to COVID numbers? I was under the impression that the 35% most likely went into effect a while back, but the availability has definitely changed for this week.

H
I have noticed that the park reservation system has way more availability than it did a week or so ago. Do we think this is because of the 35% capacity change, or are a bunch of people cancelling due to COVID numbers? I was under the impression that the 35% most likely went into effect a while back, but the availability has definitely changed for this week.

from a DVC resort perspective there is so much available it’s ridiculous- and there wasn’t last week.
For example- you can get 8 straight days in a poly studio right now

Pretty certain they have, since the reopening, held back some reservation availability to release once certain parks fill up. Also fairly certain the 35% was in effect before it was announced, BUT I believe a decent # of folks are still cancelling as well

We are here and it has been a fabulous day! Epcot was great, we did mostly world showcase booths for lunch then a few rides after. Longest wait was 20 min to ride Soarin. We got off plane and had no lines for ME and then walked right to Epcot from Boardwalk. Surreal! Walked onto Frozen. I cried on ME because I was so happy to be here!
Resting in room and headed to Teppan Edo for dinner!

For example- you can get 8 straight days in a poly studio right now
Poly is a bit unique, as it is much less desirable that normally - with the monorail stop gone, and Epcot monorail not running. It started opening up as soon as full details of renovation plans and schedule came out. But there is definitely more availability now across both DVC and resort properties than there was four weeks ago. Folks are cancelling.

I think this is due to cancellations. We had to pull the plug on our Thanksgiving trip last night due to new travel restrictions announced in our state this past week. So sad because we know how safe it is at Disney right now, but just wouldn’t feel right breaking our state rules. A lot of other states are imposing similar restrictions for the upcoming holiday week. I hope everyone who is able to still travel has a wonderful holiday!

*Cross posted in the November 2020 thread*

Finallly getting the time to sit and write a bit about our trip so far. This is our first stay at Yacht Club and we are really loving the resort. We spent our first park day at HS on Friday and snagged boarding group 2 for Rise 😍. The ride and whole Galaxy's Edge area were absolutely amazing especially for my Star Wars obsessed husband and sons and even for me, the casual fan. We were really impressed with the safety protocols and we saw great compliance with masks. Crowds were fine at HS and at no point did I feel uncomfortable that day. We were able to get through everything in the park except Aliens Swirling Saucers (wait was longer than we cared for when in the area), Muppetvision, and Tower of Terror. We had the time to do Tower, we are just still debating it. We have done it before but after riding a couple of times, I still have yet to decide whether aI even like it 😂. I love the theming, it's the drop sensation that is overwhelming for me. We enjoyed dinner at Mama Melrose and absolutely loved it. Parties were well distanced and the food and service were fantastic.

We spent yesterday at Magic Kingdom. We were about fourth in line for thd bus and made it unto the park by about 8:05. We were lead to the ticket area by a cast member (who skipped by the temp and security check which I found strange) and we were let into the park around 8:15. We headed over to Tomorrowland and were riding Space Mountain by 8:30. We had a great morning making it through Space, Buzz, Pirates, Splash, Big Thunder, HM, Small World, and Peter Pan, and Philharmagic before stopping for a snack around 11. This was at a very relaxed walking pace as we have decided for this trip since there are no FP time constraints we are taking more time to enjoy the ambiance. Crowds were still very manageable up until that point but really began picking up. We made it through Mine Train, Tea Cups, Dumbo and Barnstormer before heading back over to The Plaza to eat. By the time we were finished with dinner, crowds had picked up massively and felt comparable to our July trips to me, but that may have depended on what part of the park you were in. We caught the Santa cavalcade as it was coming through (very cute) and then we headed over to Space for another ride then over to Adventureland for Jingle Cruise. Adventureland was sort of a hot mess for people who have spent the past few months avoiding any kind of crowd as the pathways are so narrow and the lines were spilling out into those already narrow walkways, making it impossible to distance. Wd headed over to Hall of Presidents to escape and kill some time before it got dark so we could head over to Main Street to see the lights and castle projections. Though we were sad not to get to see the Dream Lights for the first time, we did enjoy the holiday projections. Main Street wasn't too bad. It was crowded but easy to separate yourself from others unlike Adventureland. We wrapped up the day at the Emporium. The line to get in was backed up to Crystal Palace but moved quickly. I think we were in the store within about 5 minutes.

All in all we have had a wonderful time thus far and are so glad we decided to make the trip. We plan on spending today relaxing at Stormalong Bay 🙂.

I woke up at 5:30 - so nervous and anxious to get that BG! We are staying at Boardwalk Villas. I was on data and DH on wifi. We both have iPhones. Both were spinning at one point. I practiced for 2 months. I showed him how to do it yesterday. In the end, he got it, I did not! We had a good laugh about that.

Since we were up and pumped already, we got ready and headed to walk to HS at 8:05. Park opening wasn’t until 10 but we (I) wanted to get over there. Ended up being one of the first groups in the walking group and also in the temp and to scan in. Scurried to MMRR and was on the first car! Loved that ride! Headed to Slinky and it was down so we did TS Mania instead. Then headed to MFSR and loved it! Galaxy’s Edge was empty and I’m kicking myself for not stopping for a pic!
By the time we headed to ToT the line was pretty long (waited maybe 45 min) but it was ok because we were ready for a slow down. Did more rides, lunch then our BG was called!

We boarded around 1 pm. Minds BLOWN!

SDD stayed at 80 min wait all day so we will catch that another day this week. Headed to dinner now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter