****Official Thanksgiving 2020 Thread****

Are you doing Liberty Tree Tavern for Thanksgiving? Jealous!
I'm also very excited for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway - it looks like a fun for all ages type of ride.

You HAVE to please report back about the Horseback riding!! I would LOVE to do that with DS but he's still too young. What a wonderful treat for your daughter!

We are doing LTT on Wednesday (that is our MK day) and Sci-fi for our actual Thanksgiving dinner. I actually wanted something VERY different on Thanksgiving day because I know we will be sad to miss our traditional family meal. My grandmother makes the dressing (she is 92!) and this is the first year I will be without it. So in my head, I wanted a totally new experience and I knew nothing would compare to hers. That was one of the reasons I was ok to travel this week, knowing I can't be with her due to Covid.

We are super excited for the horses. My husband actually really wants to camp at Fort Wilderness so we are hoping to look around a little while we are there, as well. I will report back!

We are doing LTT on Wednesday (that is our MK day) and Sci-fi for our actual Thanksgiving dinner. I actually wanted something VERY different on Thanksgiving day because I know we will be sad to miss our traditional family meal. My grandmother makes the dressing (she is 92!) and this is the first year I will be without it. So in my head, I wanted a totally new experience and I knew nothing would compare to hers. That was one of the reasons I was ok to travel this week, knowing I can't be with her due to Covid.

We are super excited for the horses. My husband actually really wants to camp at Fort Wilderness so we are hoping to look around a little while we are there, as well. I will report back!

Last year we went to Fort Wilderness to do a tour of the Christmas Decorations that campers put up - it was amazing! I don't know when they start doing it - but maybe they'll be up by the time you get there? That would be so fun as well. People get VERY creative.

Hearing lots of rumors that FL is going to lockdown again starting next week, any news from folks following in here? I know the FL government was supposed to meet at 10 am to discuss.

Hearing lots of rumors that FL is going to lockdown again starting next week, any news from folks following in here? I know the FL government was supposed to meet at 10 am to discuss.

further to this - Florida doesn’t even have statewide mask mandates and they increased restaurant capacity - so before lockdown i would logically think that they would walk back on those non existent restrictions.
Also not wanting to get political - Florida might be the last state I can think of to do a lockdown again.

further to this - Florida doesn’t even have statewide mask mandates and they increased restaurant capacity - so before lockdown i would logically think that they would walk back on those non existent restrictions.
Also not wanting to get political - Florida might be the last state I can think of to do a lockdown again.
Especially considering they had one of thE least strict and shortest lockdowns I can think

I completely agree and would never think they would lockdown again.....but my colleagues are freaking me out. I can’t find anything on it though. Hope it’s just rumors.

Last edited:
We are going as well. I admit I'm anxious only bc god forbid I somehow do test positive after returning home (we will test the morning after we return). Like others have stated, we could stay home to avoid "the travel stigma" or we can go and be diligent just like we have been doing since March- washing our hands, wearing a mask, socially distancing as much as we can. We can be just as diligent at home and still have the same results. I know Disney will always be there but I want this trip to happen- daughter is turning 16 during it, we are staying at the Riviera and Beach Club and I just want to temporarily escape the doldrums we have been living in for the past 9 months!!! We leave on Saturday morning. I have Epcot booked for Saturday and that is the only park I'm nervous about but we have already discussed if any places are too crowded for our liking, we will just go back to the resort and enjoy the pool. We are always going, going going on Disney trips- I'm actually looking forward to this trip being a bit more relaxing.

We are going as well. I admit I'm anxious only bc god forbid I somehow do test positive after returning home (we will test the morning after we return). Like others have stated, we could stay home to avoid "the travel stigma" or we can go and be diligent just like we have been doing since March- washing our hands, wearing a mask, socially distancing as much as we can. We can be just as diligent at home and still have the same results. I know Disney will always be there but I want this trip to happen- daughter is turning 16 during it, we are staying at the Riviera and Beach Club and I just want to temporarily escape the doldrums we have been living in for the past 9 months!!! We leave on Saturday morning. I have Epcot booked for Saturday and that is the only park I'm nervous about but we have already discussed if any places are too crowded for our liking, we will just go back to the resort and enjoy the pool. We are always going, going going on Disney trips- I'm actually looking forward to this trip being a bit more relaxing.
We leave on Saturday morning as well and also have Epcot booked for our park day. We have cancelled this trip two previous times this year and part of it is for my nephew's graduation gift. We are planning to be diligent with our safe practices that we have been doing at home. Hoping we all have a great time and safe travels!

We "fingers crossed everyone stays healthy" leave for WDW next Tuesday afternoon. Just can't wait to try to escape some of this difficult year. We are looking forward to seeing Disney set up for the holidays, this will be our first time ever going down this time of year. Saw all of the other holidays/seasons but never Christmas :love:and trying seasonal snacks/drinks. Warmer weather, it is starting to get somewhat chilly in MA. As others have said, we will take the same precautions we have been taking since this all started. I know they have been blaming "Covid fatigue" for the rising numbers but they also said a second wave was coming, so I wonder if this second wave was ever inevitable?? So sick of thinking and trying to figure out this pandemic. Anyway...just need to try to feel some real Disney magic even if there is a lot missing (shows, fireworks, etc) we have been numerous times so that does not make us want to cancel. Can't wait to see the light projections in person on the castle, MMRR and just to stroll and wander and take the holiday season and feelings in while hopefully "forgetting about the stressful world around us" even if its only for 5 days.

Well it’s official.., WE ARE GOING!!:yay::love::yay::love:

This has been such a tough decision... so much back and forth - should we, shouldn’t we...one decision made and 30minutes later our minds changed. Or the next day..,
Thanks to all of the trip reports on the boards, blogs, and notes of honest feelings and support here as well as trusted friends - we decided that like many of you have said so clearly and expressed so eloquently, we can continue doing what we have done at home to protect ourselves at WDW to the best of our ability. I’m sitting and waiting for my pre travel COVID test as a precaution while typing this. Little exposure to things, but we never know and I want to feel confident.

I’m most looking forward to SO much!
A mental health break for all first and foremost!!
Staying at Riviera for the first time - we upgraded to a this resort and a one bedroom villa from CBR!
“Disney Does Christmas” for the first time! Refreshed castle and holiday projections
Thanksgiving lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern
East Coast Star Wars Galaxy's Edge (ROTR she says with fingers crossed) we loved Disneyland in 2019
Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway!
Horseback riding at Circle D Ranch
Showing off my mom’s cute Disney masks - she’s made nearly 2,000 and donated at least 1,500!!!

Last edited:
I am so so happy to see all these positive posts from those of you still going ❤ I understand those of you who have decided to cancel and I hope you get to go as soon as you're ready. I have clients not ready to travel yet while I also have tons who have travelled and are traveling still in 2020; it's all a person al decision based on our comfort.

We leave on the 24th and it's unfortunately a shorter trip (4 nights) around the kids school/college! But it's ok since we've already been twice since reopening without the kids and DH and I will be down again before my Universal work trip in December :) So I am most looking forward to the boys being with us this time and them seeing SWGE for the first time, they were last down in July 2019 before it opened!

Cons: staying at Rivera for first time and not our beautifully decorated Wilderness Lodge
Ugh I hear you, WL is my favorite and we're at BLT this time. But we'll be stopping over to see the tree for sure, hope you get to also!
No fireworks or late nights in magic kingdom, but maybe we can go mini golf or enjoy the hotel pool and glass of wine in the evenings instead
As I said we've been twice since reopening, in July and September. We usually ended up in the pool after a park and then doing a later dinner so we weren't usually done for the day until between 10 and 11. So even if you have earlier dinners there's definitely the pool and golf as well as the Xmas Trees in DS! And wine is never bad 🍷
Just wanted to check in on you guys - who is still going to WDW for Thanksgiving??

We are still going as of now - leaving in 6 days!
Ha ha this should be at the top of my quotes - but we are 🙌
Also looking forward to finally eating at Jaleo.
OMG I hope you love it! I had no real desire to go but in Sept. friends we were traveling with suggest it and it was AMAZING! Not going back this month but it's on the list for my February birthday trip for sure!
I have heard nothing like this from anyone including my co-workers in Florida and the Orlando area. I also highly, HIGHLY doubt Disney would close again at this point. I'm in NY and if we aren't shut down again yet, Florida isn't going to either lol!

:)🍷

Just checking in to say - we are still going hahaha

I feel like things change so quickly - plans can be affected on a dime. I last posted on Monday of this week which feels like three weeks ago already.

We just had a little pow wow about the trip - we just level set with each other about exactly how much time we will spend in a park. Which is not a lot.
Normally we would pull 6-8 hours in one shot then come back for night time park time. Rope drop to around 3 then back again 6pm to close.
This time we are going to really pump the brakes - come up with a top three list (top three rides, top three snacks/foods, top three stores) and that's it. Then we leave and go back to our resort - we feel there is less variable traffic in the resort area in general - especially since they've limited options on how to get from resort to resort, and in the pool area and especially in our rooms.

This is more a pep talk for myself bc I suffer from major FOMO in the parks and I must do all of the things.

But not this time. We are taking it easy breezy - if it's a short wait, we'll do it. If it's a short line or no line - we're in.

We are going to do Sorcerers of the MK for the first time (independent activity), scavenger hunt in Epcot, Wilderness Explorers in AK, things that allow us to soak up the environment and not have to be up in everyone's business. It will be different but nice.

We are leaving tonight to stay near the airport and our flight leaves at 6:30 tomorrow morning! To prepare for SWGE, we have watched 6 different Star Wars movies in the last week and this morning we watched the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special on Disney+ (it was ADORABLE!). I am finishing up packing and going to clean my house (hate coming home to a dirty house!) to busy myself for the day.

Our state came down with some significant changes yesterday and so I know this is our last hoorah. I told my family to enjoy eating out because who knows when we will get to again around here! We have not told anyone (travel shaming, plus just trying to read the room) until my 9-year-old announced it to her entire class on a Zoom meeting yesterday! That was not cool. She is just excited, so we can't blame her! I don't plan on sharing online while we are there or after (which is why I treasure the Disboards so much) because it just isn't worth the scrutiny. I still feel confident in our decision, but I am also praying for good health for all of us.

Safe travels to all that are going!

You have about the same plans as us as we talked about doing Sorcerers for the first time too.
however, we are supposed to fly out Monday morning but plans are all up in the air right now. The airport that we are set to fly out is in a county now under a stay at home order so not sure how that would work as we would stay in a hotel Sunday night since it's a 2 1/2 drive - and Ohio is under a curfew from 10 pm to 5 am so I'm not sure we could leave at 3 am even to make our flight and take out the hotel stay. I've debating switching flights and we've discussed driving. However, we probably won't know if we are even going for another day or two now. So many decisions and so many emotions.

We are leaving tonight to stay near the airport and our flight leaves at 6:30 tomorrow morning! To prepare for SWGE, we have watched 6 different Star Wars movies in the last week and this morning we watched the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special on Disney+ (it was ADORABLE!). I am finishing up packing and going to clean my house (hate coming home to a dirty house!) to busy myself for the day.

Our state came down with some significant changes yesterday and so I know this is our last hoorah. I told my family to enjoy eating out because who knows when we will get to again around here! We have not told anyone (travel shaming, plus just trying to read the room) until my 9-year-old announced it to her entire class on a Zoom meeting yesterday! That was not cool. She is just excited, so we can't blame her! I don't plan on sharing online while we are there or after (which is why I treasure the Disboards so much) because it just isn't worth the scrutiny. I still feel confident in our decision, but I am also praying for good health for all of us.

Safe travels to all that are going!

You sound exactly like me. Only a select few know we are planning and nothing will be shared on social media if we end up going. I know I just posted above but you almost put my thoughts into words - about the one last hoorah before shutting down as I believe that is where we are headed

we watched the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special on Disney+ (it was ADORABLE!).

yaaay - my son (he'll be 6 in December) is a new Star Wars fan - and he's obsessed with Lego so he has been looking forward to this special for a while. We are saving it to watch together in Disney as a Movie Night In.

Our state came down with some significant changes yesterday and so I know this is our last hoorah.

SAME. Where are you, if you dont mind me asking. I'm in PA - we have to test before we come home so I just ordered at home test kits yesterday, they were delivered today, we'll pack them and take them during the required time frame, and mail them out from our resort. But I fully anticipate everything being locked down upon return. Which I totally get - we were quarantining no matter what.

We have not told anyone (travel shaming, plus just trying to read the room) until my 9-year-old announced it to her entire class on a Zoom meeting yesterday!

NOOOOOOOOO - ugh. You can't tell them not to say something bc that feels wrong but I'm not telling anyone I don't need to tell. It's exhausting having to explain how we are traveling or why. We aren't attending bridal showers, or birthdays, we aren't going to bars and sitting elbow to elbow with people and we wear masks everywhere. Blah Blah Blah you know the deal. I take it VERY seriously but I also think we can still operate WHILE taking this seriously.

We keep asking my son if he's told anyone at school just out of curiosity (Kindergarten is still in person) and he says no...but who knows.

You have about the same plans as us as we talked about doing Sorcerers for the first time too.
however, we are supposed to fly out Monday morning but plans are all up in the air right now. The airport that we are set to fly out is in a county now under a stay at home order so not sure how that would work as we would stay in a hotel Sunday night since it's a 2 1/2 drive - and Ohio is under a curfew from 10 pm to 5 am so I'm not sure we could leave at 3 am even to make our flight and take out the hotel stay. I've debating switching flights and we've discussed driving. However, we probably won't know if we are even going for another day or two now. So many decisions and so many emotions.

oooo those are tricky logistics. Well keep us posted - I'm happy to listen to your mixed emotions as I'm sure we are all having them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter