Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

View attachment 231620 Oh, and last night I finished our 5K shirts. (After my youngest must have pressed buttons and messed up settings in my silhouette machine) so I had to reorder some vinyl. I had wanted to do a little polka dot flutter sleeve, but I won't worry about that if I don't have time. We'll wear some matching Minnie ears to rock our Darth minnie look!
Love it, looks awesome!

Since we'll be running in the morning for the half, I'm keeping my eye on the lows. I see 66 on Friday, 68 on Saturday, 67 on Sunday, and 63 on Monday. I'm over here praying that everything gets pushed up a day and it ends up being a little cooler. ONE WEEK TO GO!

Since we'll be running in the morning for the half, I'm keeping my eye on the lows. I see 66 on Friday, 68 on Saturday, 67 on Sunday, and 63 on Monday. I'm over here praying that everything gets pushed up a day and it ends up being a little cooler. ONE WEEK TO GO!

I'm afraid that 63 is because of the accompanying rain. A little overcast and mist is cool ... but heavy rain kinda sucks to run in. (Not that 70+ degrees is better)

I'm afraid that 63 is because of the accompanying rain. A little overcast and mist is cool ... but heavy rain kinda sucks to run in. (Not that 70+ degrees is better)

I've been training in 70+ weather so it's not that I am concerned with. The 50% humidity I don't want!

With the weather outlook, I'm definitely planning to forget about going for any sort of themed outfit (not like I had anything planned anyway) and just going for comfort. Shorts and tech shirts for me, especially for the half marathon. I'm going to use my new Star Wars shirt (which is cotton) for my Hollywood Studios/expo day instead. I'm really hoping the early start will keep the heat manageable, and I'm grateful that the later miles have the excitement of Hollywood Studios, Boardwalk, and World Showcase to keep us motivated. And also extremely grateful that there will be plenty of water stops. But I'm already anticipating that there will without a doubt be a weather alert in place. I'll still take the heat over heavy rain and thunderstorms though. Hydration and slowing it down are just going to be critical.

Oh no, are you okay?
I fell today while walking my dogs as I'm special and sprained the bad ankle and bruised/skinned my right knee. I'm in RICE mode now but it's way too close to a race weekend for me to make a safe call about the race yet!

I fell today while walking my dogs as I'm special and sprained the bad ankle and bruised/skinned my right knee. I'm in RICE mode now but it's way too close to a race weekend for me to make a safe call about the race yet!
I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you feel better in couple days!

We are planning to go straight to Hollywood Studios after we finish the half-marathon. Does anyone know if the lockers are located inside or outside the turnstyles? There is a chance we may make it before park opening, so hoping to freshen up with bodywipes then store our bags in a locker.

We are planning to go straight to Hollywood Studios after we finish the half-marathon. Does anyone know if the lockers are located inside or outside the turnstyles? There is a chance we may make it before park opening, so hoping to freshen up with bodywipes then store our bags in a locker.

The lockers are inside the park to the right side.

Anyone here doing C2C or Kessel?

I assume we just go to the booths at the Expo and get the wristbands. Any idea how complicated that process is? I am fairly sure I used the same active profile to register for both races but I do have two I have used in the past so I'm not 100% sure. Should I need to bring any other proof (eg - medal, bib, photo) from the light side run in case of problems? Or is it fairly obvious if you have the same name and DOB both times?

Ouch. I hope you will be okay.

DO NOT mention this any where on Facebook. Those people will blast you for not taking a shower.yes HS Has outside lockers by the bus transportation booth.

I assume we just go to the booths at the Expo and get the wristbands. Any idea how complicated that process is? I am fairly sure I used the same active profile to register for both races but I do have two I have used in the past so I'm not 100% sure. Should I need to bring any other proof (eg - medal, bib, photo) from the light side run in case of problems? Or is it fairly obvious if you have the same name and DOB both times?

Yes I am doing Kessel and first wdw world race. People have told me that Disney will magically know and give you a wristband when you go to pick up your bib.

How am I supposed to get through THREE days of work when it's so close!! Leaving Wednesday after work, hoping these 24 hours of work go quickly!

I had another race dream, running around MK and taking pictures with CMs and a creepy Darth Maul float coming up behind us. Seriously, so strange. Cannot believe it is race week!

I've been training in 70+ weather so it's not that I am concerned with. The 50% humidity I don't want!
80% humidity at start though I see, then it drops after the sun comes up and day goes on. As long as no storms I'm okay with whatever it is :), won't be acclimated at all, but at least we won't be freezing :)

Oh no, hope you'll be okay to run. I know some will argue but hopefully you can at least start and if you have to get picked up you'll still get your medal.

Unless it's changed they give you a wristband(s) when you get your bib. There will be a band for Coast to Coast and a band for Kessel. They just know.

Last edited:
Oh no, hope you'll be okay to run. I know some will argue but hopefully you can at least start and if you have to get picked up you'll still get your medal.

Its my plan that if I'm still in pain like I am today - I'm doing that. I don't really care if others don't like that idea.

For the half my wife should be hitting the 10 mile mark and the Studios around 2 1/4 hours into the race maybe around 8:15ish. Would it work to park in Studios lot around 7:45 and see her as leaving the Studios on her way to Boardwalk? What time do Studio parking lots usually open? Could then drive to Epcot and meet her at finish.

Just threw my themed running idea out the door and will be going with a tech shirt and shorts, along with a basic dri fit ballcap. Socks will be low cut instead of longer. I may do the calf sleeves for the half, depends on how I feel after the 10K Saturday. A furry chewbacca hat/outfit isn't happening in 80-90 degree heat. One thing with doing Disney races, while they start when it's dark, that pavement gets very hot quickly once the sun rises. Anything after about 8:00 becomes brutal. Unfortunately with a mix up between our son and my entries, I'm in the dead last corrals for both. :(

Weekend Training Update

Thursday - 4.12 Miles - 35:20 - 8:34 Pace - Run The Streets Mentor Run
Saturday - 8.18 Miles - 77:18 - 9:26 Pace - Run The Streets Mentor Run
Sunday - 4.00 Miles - 30:09 - 7:32 Pace

The Event Guide says "we ask that all Dark Side Challenge participants have their photo taken at the Expo with their race bibs. This photo will be used at the Challenge Tent to expedite the finish line experience".

I'm guessing this will be obvious? Is this just for the Dark Side Challenge or the C2C/Kessel Runs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter