Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Ok, so. I'm slow. Like, really, REALLY slow. I am not a runner and started my training just to do this Dark Side Half. This past weekend I ran 9 miles in 2.05. Now I know that makes me a turtle- I've been training and running a 2-1 run/walk. I could probably walk faster but weirdly right at the start of this long run I was DRAGGING. It was brutal. This weekend is my 11 miles, which my training program has me topping out at.

I guess I'm just terrified I won't finish. I want to finish, and I'd like to be able to stop for a photo or two. This is just my first race, and I'm starting to feel the nerves, BIG TIME.

Now I'm worried that because I'm run/walking I'll be in people's way. I guess I'm just petrified at this point. I don't even know what I'm looking for from this post!

Ok, so. I'm slow. Like, really, REALLY slow. I am not a runner and started my training just to do this Dark Side Half. This past weekend I ran 9 miles in 2.05. Now I know that makes me a turtle- I've been training and running a 2-1 run/walk. I could probably walk faster but weirdly right at the start of this long run I was DRAGGING. It was brutal. This weekend is my 11 miles, which my training program has me topping out at.

I guess I'm just terrified I won't finish. I want to finish, and I'd like to be able to stop for a photo or two. This is just my first race, and I'm starting to feel the nerves, BIG TIME.

Now I'm worried that because I'm run/walking I'll be in people's way. I guess I'm just petrified at this point. I don't even know what I'm looking for from this post!

Sounds like you are doing well. A 2:05 9-miler implies a 3:02 half marathon. So, even if you are starting at the very back of Corral G, you should have a 28 minute buffer. If you start in an earlier corral or near the front of Corral G, you will even have more cushion. You can likely stop for a photo or two if the lines are not too long - you'll have to make that call based on your pace on race day as well as the character photo lines. Also, don't worry about being in people's way. As long as you are aware of your surroundings and safely move to the side of the road and raise your hand before the walk intervals, you will be fine!

Sounds like you are doing well. A 2:05 9-miler implies a 3:02 half marathon. So, even if you are starting at the very back of Corral G, you should have a 28 minute buffer. If you start in an earlier corral or near the front of Corral G, you will even have more cushion. You can likely stop for a photo or two if the lines are not too long - you'll have to make that call based on your pace on race day as well as the character photo lines. Also, don't worry about being in people's way. As long as you are aware of your surroundings and safely move to the side of the road and raise your hand before the walk intervals, you will be fine!

Now I'm offended (lol) I run a 10-11 min mile at home, but I finished the Star Wars light side in 2:57:25. I was 6909 out of 12442. Pretty close to being in the middle of the pack. I walked a LOT. You'll be just fine!!

For me its all about the journey. I don't look for a PR at Disney. It's all about the fun for me. I ain't gonna win so I'm going to enjoy it!

Have. A. Blast.

You will be fine. My first RunDisney event was the 2016 Star Wars Half Marathon - The Light Side with virtually no running experience. My time was 3:26:36 at a 15:44 pace. Ouch! Right?

To give some encouragement, the 2016 Dark Side Half will be my second RunDisney event. I improved significantly from the first one I did. I went from like a 15:44 pace for a half to as recent as a 8:04 pace for 10 miles. 10K Pace from 13:01 to 7:48. You will be totally fine. You may even be able to stop for a few pictures.

Best of Luck on your 11 mile run and on the Half!

I think you're good! And don't worry about having a crummy long run. It happens. You still finished after a bad start, so you actually got some valuable experience there. In competitive sports, you learn more when you lose than when you win, right? I think in running, you learn more when things don't go to plan and you still push through. Well done! You're mentally and physically stronger than you were before that 9 miles, so that's something to feel good about.

And you'll see very quickly that there are MANY interval runners, so you won't be in anyone's way, and will probably see a few people on the same pattern as you.

This will be my first 10k (I'm also doing the 5k).

I'm pretty slow; I run about a 13.3 minute mile. Can someone please explain what the sweepers are and how they work?

I'm pretty slow; I run about a 13.3 minute mile. Can someone please explain what the sweepers are and how they work?
The sweepers refer to the people who monitor the 16-minute/mile pace requirement and clear the back end of the course. Anyone who falls behind pace is boarded onto a bus at certain points and taken to the finish line. The pacing requirement is not started until the very last person crosses the start line (so if you start earlier you have a bit of extra time). There are also the "balloon ladies" (racers who hold the 16-minute pace and run with balloons) so people use them as a guide of sorts to judge where they are related to the pace. If the balloon ladies pass you, it's a sign that you may be at risk of getting swept and taken off the course.

You don't need to worry at all. At a Disney race especially, that is not slow at all!

Thank you very much for both of the replies.

I'm both excited and really nervous about the races. I've done the princess 5k before, but this is my first try at a 10k. I'm not really sure what to expect.

So, I was just looking at the event guide again, and there's a section on the half marathon page subtitled "Corrals." Has anyone noticed this before or is it newly added? It specifically mentions the reduced number of corrals and that each corral will be separated into waves.

Here's the text:
Corrals
In an effort to better allow runners of similar pace to participate together and to provide a better experience for our guests, we have reduced the number of corrals during Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side. However, we still will have a comparable number of waves for our runners. Each corral will be divided into multiple waves to decrease the number of runners starting at one time, providing more space as the race begins for each wave of runners.

So, I was just looking at the event guide again, and there's a section on the half marathon page subtitled "Corrals." Has anyone noticed this before or is it newly added? It specifically mentions the reduced number of corrals and that each corral will be separated into waves.

Here's the text:
Corrals
In an effort to better allow runners of similar pace to participate together and to provide a better experience for our guests, we have reduced the number of corrals during Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side. However, we still will have a comparable number of waves for our runners. Each corral will be divided into multiple waves to decrease the number of runners starting at one time, providing more space as the race begins for each wave of runners.
Interesting. I think that was added. I'm pretty sure I had read all of that section and don't remember seeing that (but I could be wrong). :D
Thanks for pointing that out!

I am late to the party, but we just booked a last minute trip to Disney to celebrate my son's birthday (we leave next week). We noticed that we will be in-town for the Dark Side half and were wondering if any of the travel agencies are offering free registration/bibs with a room. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

What corral are you in? No matter what corral you are in try to be as close to the front as you can. Pace time starts when last person crosses the start line.all along the route there will be people saying you are this far ahead of pace. When you cross the start look at the clock and that will give you an idea of time you need to be at each mile. But really with your pace you will be fine. And if you can make it 11 miles this weekend you will do fantastic!

You will be fine. My first RunDisney event was the 2016 Star Wars Half Marathon - The Light Side with virtually no running experience. My time was 3:26:36 at a 15:44 pace. Ouch! Right?

To give some encouragement, the 2016 Dark Side Half will be my second RunDisney event. I improved significantly from the first one I did. I went from like a 15:44 pace for a half to as recent as a 8:04 pace for 10 miles. 10K Pace from 13:01 to 7:48. You will be totally fine. You may even be able to stop for a few pictures.

Best of Luck on your 11 mile run and on the Half!

I want to be you some day. I improved time from lightside but not that much.

I am late to the party, but we just booked a last minute trip to Disney to celebrate my son's birthday (we leave next week). We noticed that we will be in-town for the Dark Side half and was wondering if any of the travel agencies are offering free registration/bibs with a room. Thank you so much!

I think most travel agents are out of bibs. Some chariot might have some but that might cos you more with the fundraising goals. The last few races they have sold bibs at the expos for the 10k and challenge.

I think most travel agents are out of bibs. Some chariot might have some but that might cos you more with the fundraising goals. The last few races they have sold bibs at the expos for the 10k and challenge.

You can still register for the half marathon online, but I was hoping to find a deal. I know that there were free bibs for marathon weekend. Thank you for your help.

FWIW, that's approximately my pace (and I've run Disney races being slower than that) and I've finished a slew of Disney races, including the marathon twice. You'll be fine!

Here's the text:
Corrals

Oh I don't remember that either, good catch!

I wonder do they put ropes up then after so many runners enter to start a new wave? So, then you can't enter pretty late or go out to use the portapots and come back and wiggle to the front.

In a facebook group a person posted she'll be pacing the 2:15 Galloway pace group, doing 90/30 intervals, and that there would be 2 sets of 2:15 pacers but didn't have start corrals yet. Pace groups will be in 15 minute increments and go up to 3:30 she said (didn't say fastest pace group though I don't think)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter