Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Good to know. How do the Galloway pacers work? Are they run/walk, or do they have run only as well? Would they have a 1:40 half marathon pacing group?

During the full in January I hung with the 4:45 pace group for like 6 miles from like mile 17-22,they were doing a run walk.

These OLD PAST RACE Galloway Pace charts were shared on a facebook group I just remembered so went & searched and saved them. I guess he posts these on his facebook page they said as the races got closer.
Princess
View attachment 229048

Jan Half & Full
View attachment 229049

Ah, nice! I don't remember seeing the 1:45 groups, but I may not have looked since W&D. They have definitely gotten more pacers since then, so that's good!

Does anyone know if there will be a drop off area at the TTC for the start of the Half Marathon? Thanks

Started pre-packing this weekend! This is our first family vacation with our 18 month old, so I'm pretty sure I'm overpacking. But I mean, he'll definitely need a stroller rain poncho, snack tray, and fan, right?

Also, question about hydration belts. I've been running with one for long runs, but doubt I'll need it for the race, right? It looks like there are plenty of hydration stations and you always hear horror stories about people over-hydrating, or become dehydrated and I don't want to be either.

Started pre-packing this weekend! This is our first family vacation with our 18 month old, so I'm pretty sure I'm overpacking. But I mean, he'll definitely need a stroller rain poncho, snack tray, and fan, right?

Also, question about hydration belts. I've been running with one for long runs, but doubt I'll need it for the race, right? It looks like there are plenty of hydration stations and you always hear horror stories about people over-hydrating, or become dehydrated and I don't want to be either.

For the first timer my biggest tip is have a backpack of stuff you need but isn't valuable (snacks, wipes, change of clothes if potty training) and a small purse or fanny pack with necessities. It's minblowing but people leave their $400 bob strollers loaded with bags of merchandise and no one touches them (Besides the squirrels). So I leave my backpack behind on rides.

I never run with water but I hate stopping for it at busy races. I carried water once for a run but it was more trouble than it was worth. I think they're more than adequate ok race day

Last year, I had no problems with hydration during the Dark Side 10k or half. There were plenty of water stops (water and Powerade for half). I was in an early corral, so I defer to others if there was too much crowding around the water stops or other hydration issues with the later corrals.

Literally where someone (taxi, uber, mom) drops off a runner but doesn't stay around and park. Quite reminds me of the school drop off lines I've been dealing with for the past 11 years!
Thank you! I thought as much but wasn't sure and didn't want to make the mistake of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last year, I had no problems with hydration during the Dark Side 10k or half. There were plenty of water stops (water and Powerade for half). I was in an early corral, so I defer to others if there was too much crowding around the water stops or other hydration issues with the later corrals.

I've been at the back, and although it may be crowded, it's not bad getting water or powerade. So it's available in plenty if you want, but I also see people carry their own. Personal preference!

I always head for the last couple people at a water stop. Usually less crowded and if you want you can stop/walk and drink your drink without worrying as much about people coming behind you. Of course that only works if whichever drink you want is the second one but you get the idea.

I'm training at a bit over 14 minutes per mile. Not a lot I can to prepare for any possible heat except to dress appropriately. My only pace requirement is to finish. If I finish, I'm happy.
I'll chime in with the others and say I don't think you need to worry about finishing - you're good! If another long run happens to work in your life, go for it, but no need to cram; you won't lose fitness in that time. FWIW, I only ever go to 11-12 miles tops training for a half, and have done several only going to 10 miles. And I'm not fast. :) It works fine!

I know y'all know it's humid here in late April, but I live and train here and it was rough today because it's been cool in the early mornings up until now. Just a PSA; no more, no less. :)
::yes:: 90 miles west of WDW here and totally agree! My Sat. run was at 8am and was 85% humidity, 79 degrees. The Feels Like this morning at 6am was 78! It's warming up quickly down here. That said, the long range forecast calls for a small cooling trend: highs in the low 80s, lows in the 60s over the next couple weeks. So maybe it won't be too awful.

Hello Everyone.

Will Dark Side have pacers? I did not see it mentioned on the RunDisney website or the event guide, but maybe I just missed it?
Yes! A friend of mine is an official pacer, so I can attest. It's through Galloway, and yes, they will be doing run-walk intervals. He'll have a booth at the expo where you can meet pacers and learn about who's doing what and from which corrals.

Right! Also, at least one cup holder for you. :) My son is almost 15 now, and I miss those stroller days! If it makes you feel better, his stuff takes up way more room now than when he was a baby; tall jeans take up a LOT of luggage space lol!

It depends on how you prefer to hydrate... there are plenty of water/Powerade stops on course, but if you're used to taking small sips frequently, you might prefer to stick with what you've been training with vs. going to something different. I'm a frequent sipper, personally, so I carry the same water bottle in races that I use in training and just refill it as needed at water tables.

Ran 13.1 today and time was 1:53:32...so I am very excited for the half in just a few weeks. Just wish I would have had a POT, oh well i'm in corral G and still ok with it. How is everyone else doing?
Nice! :thumbsup2

This was a tempo run weekend for me and it went okay... it was HOT, so despite a higher output of effort, I turned in a slower pace than my last tempo run. IDK if I'll be able to hit the time I want in my May 10K at this rate, but I figure it doesn't hurt to keep at it, and if a cool front happens to blow through in time for the race, I'll be prepared!

I recommend always running with a water belt because you never know when you might need a quick swig because your mouth is excessively dry. Likewise, there have been races where Disney has run out of hydration later on in the race because of extreme heat or races where the wind was so bad they couldn't keep water/powerade on the tables.

Yes, they should have plenty of water/powerade. But I would much rather deal with my water belt for the race even if I don't need it than absolutely need it and not have it or need it at a time when I'm nowhere near a hydration stop.

Training is going here, about ready to can the half time goal, but I'll see that morning. We actually have 83% humdity here today, 55 degrees and dew point 50 - but cloudy, we haven't seen the sun in forever. Hoping, like everyone else the weather doesn't do me in down there. I like it warm and can handle humidity fairly well IF used to it, but not sure if my weather will cut it to get ready, 70s this weekend though, may try the wear extra layers to help like mentioned above.

I bring my handheld water bottle but have yet to use it in a race, but it's there in the room in case I think I need it. So far, water stops are fine for me. I tend to take Powerade at almost all the first stops and then start to alternate with water in the 2nd half. I also like to go for the last table usually and have to walk to drink.

I'm in a conundrum though as I broke in new shoes to be my number 1 Darkside race shoes a few weeks ago and then bring my secondary ones as backup, well those I think are shot, so now do I go ahead and break in another new pair to have 2 newish pairs down there in case it rains or just bring the probably shot secondary ones as backup & hope for no rain.

and I don't think you can ever overpack! Better safe than sorry especially with kids :)

Last edited:
I'm in a conundrum though as I broke in new shoes to be my number 1 Darkside race shoes a few weeks ago and then bring my secondary ones as backup, well those I think are shot, so now do I go ahead and break in another new pair to have 2 newish pairs down there in case it rains or just bring the probably shot secondary ones as backup & hope for no rain.

If your backup ones are truly shot, then I would start to break-in another pair and bring the two newish pair.

Last edited:
Super excited to see how happy everyone is with the course. This is my first WDW runDisney race, and I've only been to WDW a handful of times, so it's hard for me to evaluate, but seeing everyone's reaction has me very fired up.
Best HM route I've seen at WDW by far! Only route I like even better is the WDW Marathon--all four parks plus Boardwalk plus Wide World of Sports. The way they handle the WWOS route is very cool--my favorite part of that run.

I did a lot of packing yesterday as well. Given my work schedule, I packed all the clothing that I don't need between now and leaving for WDW and will continue to add to the suitcases as I get closer. Departure day will be hectic enough without having to worry about packing, so I want as much packed as I possibly can before that day hits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter