• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

This is probably the flattest of the Disneyland courses, there are no overpasses!

Have you tried using compression sleeves on your calves? They help my muscles tremendously.

Yay for no overpasses!! The cloverleaf at PHM '13 almost killed me
No - but I was thinking that compression sleeves might be my next purchase. It's just weird that it came out of the blue on both legs - I've been training fairly consistently all year (did EE in May & a local 10K in Oct). I have increased my run:walk ratio from 1:1 to 2:1 but slowly & over several weeks.

Thanks!

Hey - a couple of questions for those that did this race last year...

what is the course like? any hilly spots or super narrow stretches? will we go through the castle?

is there a point on course where it's safe to say you can't get swept anymore?

how early do we really need to arrive? we're staying at BW Stovalls on Katella & will be in corral C, I do not plan to check a bag. Was planning to walk to the start but would it be better to shuttle?

best post race meal ideas??? currently have a ressie at Goofy's kitchen

Thursday morning - I'm trying to decide if it's better to go to DL for early entry or be in line for the expo?? the only items I want to purchase at the expo are a t-shirt & a run-disney vinylmation (if they have them).....do I need to be there first thing? The only other early entry day during our trip is Sat & I was planning to stay at the hotel & just rest up that day if possible.

General running questions....

gross topic but....any tips on avoiding GI issues while running?

in the last week I've starting having calf pain in both legs (not shin splints) while running & esp during walk breaks, it goes away as soon as I stop. I thought my shoes could make it through one more race but decided to get new ones since this pain developed - ran this morning with them & the calf pain was still there ????

TIA! So excited to get there!

Like others have said this is definitely the flatest course at DL. Theres an underground tunnel we go through when going on DL property so you go down it and then up it but I think thats the only hill.

I believe that once you are back on DL property is when you can no longer get swept.

Last year I didn't arrive to my corral until 5:00. This year I guess theres more security to go through so I'm going to get there by 4:45 I think. I'm staying at BW STovalls also and am planning on leaving the hotel at 4:30. No need to take the shuttle. The hotel is actually closer to the corrals than the shuttle drop off which is on the Harbor side.

Best Post race meal - room service IMO! But being as we're not gonna get that at BW Stovalls I originally had ressies at Ariels Grotto (I'll have kids with me) but I recently switch it to Aladdins Oasis so we could get the seating for the parade that night. After Tink one year I had lunch at Carthay Circle and that was very nice. And one year I was lucky enough to have brunch at Club 33 which was amazing.

Calf pain - I'd see a good massage therapist soon! Hopefully thats all you need! I know I"m making an appt with my chiro for an ART treatment next week after my last long run.

Like others have said this is definitely the flatest course at DL. Theres an underground tunnel we go through when going on DL property so you go down it and then up it but I think thats the only hill.

I believe that once you are back on DL property is when you can no longer get swept.

Last year I didn't arrive to my corral until 5:00. This year I guess theres more security to go through so I'm going to get there by 4:45 I think. I'm staying at BW STovalls also and am planning on leaving the hotel at 4:30. No need to take the shuttle. The hotel is actually closer to the corrals than the shuttle drop off which is on the Harbor side.

Best Post race meal - room service IMO! But being as we're not gonna get that at BW Stovalls I originally had ressies at Ariels Grotto (I'll have kids with me) but I recently switch it to Aladdins Oasis so we could get the seating for the parade that night. After Tink one year I had lunch at Carthay Circle and that was very nice. And one year I was lucky enough to have brunch at Club 33 which was amazing.

Calf pain - I'd see a good massage therapist soon! Hopefully thats all you need! I know I"m making an appt with my chiro for an ART treatment next week after my last long run.
Thanks! I appreciate the info & advice!

thank you! I enjoyed your trip report! We're eating at Naples the night before the 1/2 - no rebel challenge for this girl!

Naples is a good choice! Last year they had waits over 90 minutes for people on Friday Night when we ate there. I'm sure it was worse on Saturday! Smart choice to get your dining reservations. We really enjoyed it last year - not the best Italian but a good pre-race choice as you can eat something similar to what you can get at home. We are doing Steakhouse 55 the night before the half - Sourdough Bread & Filet for me!

WE are doing Steakhouse 55 post race on the Sunday evening:) Figured I will enjoy the calories post race :) And get compression socks for sure, they are fantastic.

I haven't been on much this training but excited to be doing the Rebel Challenge (first challenge!) Today I hope to get in 5-6 miles then the last long run tomorrow (14 miles). The 10k is my late father's birthday and I am most excited to run that race since I haven't run that distance in 2 years - hoping to PR. Hard to believe we leave in 2 weeks!

May the force be with all of us (and those around us) as we taper! lol

I'm signed up for the Rebel Challenge but don't think I'll be able to run. I've been sick with bronchitis for almost 4 weeks. I haven't been able to run at all. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to defer this year. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

So as part of my training I decided to run 5 10 K races in 5 consecutive days to build my recovery. Its fair to say I hurt. 2 weeks to rest up before the RC. I was pretty happy with my times

Day 1 - 1:03:49
Day 2 - 1:02:55
Day 3 - 1:02:48
Day 4 - 0:57:56
Day 5 - 1:03:55

i heard them cancelling b/c PTN and fireworks were not on the schedule due to "filming" -- now they are back on the schedule with very odd timing!

Last long run before races done. Got that 14 miler in yesterday and it was the longest run I have ever done, Last 2 miles were tough, but finished it, more surprised at my recovery as I am not stiff as I thought I would be and no muscle issues. Glad to have learned bout cool soaks in tub in time for this good luck to all of you as you finish up your long runs and rest up, see you in a couple weeks. We did it now the easy part is putting on our costumes and having fun

My last long run was completed too today after I did 5 miles yesterday.

Actually felt decent at the end but I didn't go the full distance as my stomach was growling for real food at it was 2:00PM & it had nothing so far today but at least I hit the double digits. I should be fine to make it through the 13.1 at this point.

Got in almost 12 yesterday before my knee started aching. Decided to call it a day at that point. Knee still hurting today... I may play it safe and rest it until the challenge, though it would be great to get in a few more runs.

5 miles yesterday and another 12 miles today. That will be a wrap on the long runs as we'll be heading to California next weekend. This won't be my fastest race, but I never intend for runDisney races to be for a fast time. There will be some run/walking in the 5K with my DS10, likely some more run/walking with my sister at her speed for the 10K, then a consistent run for the half on my own.

Any bets on whether there will be any Force Awakens characters or references on the course? I hope so, but I don't actually expect it since they don't have any characters from the new movie in the park now. I assume they'll stick with the usual suspects that already have a presence in the parks and at Launch Bay (Chewie, Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, Jawas, etc.)

Did 11 miles yesterday which was my goal. That last mile was tough but I was hungry and the sun was overhead by that point. I'm sure with better hydration race week that the 13.1 will go better. Not too sore today either so I'm pretty happy about that.

Anyone checking out the weather yet...I'm seeing rain, rain, rain. Hopefully it goes away by race weekend! I know we have lots of time still!

Oh it would be so cool to have force awakens characters out! We finally saw it on NYE and I loved it.

No rain!!! Not after the "almost" wine and dine..... Please no!

I'm doing the 10k only this year and I am still so excited!

Did 11 miles yesterday which was my goal. That last mile was tough but I was hungry and the sun was overhead by that point. I'm sure with better hydration race week that the 13.1 will go better. Not too sore today either so I'm pretty happy about that.

Anyone checking out the weather yet...I'm seeing rain, rain, rain. Hopefully it goes away by race weekend! I know we have lots of time still!

The hydration and the adrenaline will help you at the 13.1. :) Weather.com is showing rain for the weekend. I've had enough rain-soaked 13.1s lately, so I hope that forecast changes. If it doesn't, I'll run happily along in the rain anyway. :)

Yea weather.com seems to change every day as to weather it will just be cloudy or actually rain...I really hope it doesn't! Maybe it will be like Avengers and wait til a few hours after the race!

No rain!!! Not after the "almost" wine and dine..... Please no!

Well that was a proper storm not just rain. :)

Now 2014 w&d, that was just rain! And rain and rain and more rain.

Ack! gotta get some other shoes to wear at the parks if it rains for the first two events. Spectating for 5k and doing the 10k. My only other shoes are full on minimal (new balance mini us from a couple years ago) and weirdly a feature in them is openings in the bottom. Not a good feature for the rain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter