• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

Yeah I am running it in about 2 hrs 05 min now so would have easily been in A. Does anyone have a good gauge of the time delay between corrals normally. Are we thinking 15 mins per corral?

Yeah I am running it in about 2 hrs 05 min now so would have easily been in A. Does anyone have a good gauge of the time delay between corrals normally. Are we thinking 15 mins per corral?

Last year it was like 5 minutes that they held each corral after the one in front of it started I believe.

It's normally 3-5 minutes between corrals.

We're getting closer! Everyone excited? I'm getting pretty anxious... I'm ready to pack my bags and get moving!

I hope the training is going well for everyone!

We're getting closer! Everyone excited? I'm getting pretty anxious... I'm ready to pack my bags and get moving!

I hope the training is going well for everyone!

Getting very excited! Last long run will be this weekend and hopefully it will go well! Almost time to start watching the weather forecast!

ugh -- i haven't run since nov-15 :(
hoping this is the kick in the bu%$ I need to get myself back in check after the holidays!!!!

Any others traveling down from Vancouver ? We are on the SNA flight on the 14th.

Any others traveling down from Vancouver ? We are on the SNA flight on the 14th.

I'm heading down with my family on Jan 9 and taking some vacation time the week before the race. I would imagine there should be a few other Vancouver area people heading down as well.

Just realized that this is going to be my very first Disney 10K. Looking at the course map in the event guide, I'm pretty psyched for it. And I have finally FINALLY come to terms with the concept of just trying to have fun there rather than be all serious about the running part. So I hope I'll be able to enjoy it.

I'm sad now that I didn't sign up for the 5K along with DH and DS. But I'll be doing that combo at Princess, so that's OK.

As I mentioned on the Disneyland forum thread, we changed hotels again, and we're now doing a combo of Anabella (to say goodbye to the place before it's destroyed) and then checking into PPH on the 17th for 2 nights. :)

Just means we have to figure out a way to get up to PPH to check in early on the morning of the Half. :)

You should be able to travel down Harbor on the same side of the street at PPH. You won't be able to drive.
'

Is the sidewalk open in front of PPH? Seems the race goes the "other" way than DL Half did last year, so it's just the corrals from Katella up to PPH.

Eh, we'll have two days to stop in and ask them. It's even possible there's some back way in for those who have cars. There's really got to be a way in and out, for those coming in and leaving during that time.

But from Anabella to PPH it's a pretty straight shot; should be simple to just roll the bags up the street, as long as a sidewalk is open.

Is the sidewalk open in front of PPH? Seems the race goes the "other" way than DL Half did last year, so it's just the corrals from Katella up to PPH.

Eh, we'll have two days to stop in and ask them. It's even possible there's some back way in for those who have cars. There's really got to be a way in and out, for those coming in and leaving during that time.

But from Anabella to PPH it's a pretty straight shot; should be simple to just roll the bags up the street, as long as a sidewalk is open.

Last year it was. The corrals didn't extend that wide to take over the sidewalks last year. It only took over the street. We stayed at PPH last year which was super nice to get to the corrals in the morning.

Question for all the locals driving to the parking structure on race mornings, Have you been charged for parking at 4 AM? I have run 3 halfs arriving around 4am each time and have been allowed to park free twice, i had to pay once at avengers. Just curious what other peoples experience has been

Hey - a couple of questions for those that did this race last year...

what is the course like? any hilly spots or super narrow stretches? will we go through the castle?

is there a point on course where it's safe to say you can't get swept anymore?

how early do we really need to arrive? we're staying at BW Stovalls on Katella & will be in corral C, I do not plan to check a bag. Was planning to walk to the start but would it be better to shuttle?

best post race meal ideas??? currently have a ressie at Goofy's kitchen

Thursday morning - I'm trying to decide if it's better to go to DL for early entry or be in line for the expo?? the only items I want to purchase at the expo are a t-shirt & a run-disney vinylmation (if they have them).....do I need to be there first thing? The only other early entry day during our trip is Sat & I was planning to stay at the hotel & just rest up that day if possible.

General running questions....

gross topic but....any tips on avoiding GI issues while running?

in the last week I've starting having calf pain in both legs (not shin splints) while running & esp during walk breaks, it goes away as soon as I stop. I thought my shoes could make it through one more race but decided to get new ones since this pain developed - ran this morning with them & the calf pain was still there ????

TIA! So excited to get there!

The course is pretty flat. The hilly portion was a dip in the road as entering California Adventure that was a bit rough (and then the 5K pad was right after it) You do go around the Castle. I don't remember running through it. I have a detailed course experience (although it probably isn't the most pleasant one - don't do a challenge as your first half marathon - lesson learned) in my trip report from last year in my signature.

Last year after the half, my husband and I ate at Wine Country Trattoria. It was a decent meal food wise although my husband was cranky & the waitress was bad.

Avoid GI issues by nothing new on race day! One of my medications can cause GI issues when I drink a lot of water. Obviously I will be water loading for the race. I can deal with that by not taking them when running the 5K/10K/Half. I'll start it again after the half in the morning.

You might have tweaked a muscle. Do you have a good massage therapist? I would visit them if you do. I have my 90 minute set up for January 10th to ensure all my muscles are in a nice shape before all the races since my last run for this training cycle will be the 9th.

The course is pretty flat. The hilly portion was a dip in the road as entering California Adventure that was a bit rough (and then the 5K pad was right after it) You do go around the Castle. I don't remember running through it. I have a detailed course experience (although it probably isn't the most pleasant one - don't do a challenge as your first half marathon - lesson learned) in my trip report from last year in my signature.

Last year after the half, my husband and I ate at Wine Country Trattoria. It was a decent meal food wise although my husband was cranky & the waitress was bad.

Avoid GI issues by nothing new on race day! One of my medications can cause GI issues when I drink a lot of water. Obviously I will be water loading for the race. I can deal with that by not taking them when running the 5K/10K/Half. I'll start it again after the half in the morning.

You might have tweaked a muscle. Do you have a good massage therapist? I would visit them if you do. I have my 90 minute set up for January 10th to ensure all my muscles are in a nice shape before all the races since my last run for this training cycle will be the 9th.

thank you! I enjoyed your trip report! We're eating at Naples the night before the 1/2 - no rebel challenge for this girl!

how early do we really need to arrive? we're staying at BW Stovalls on Katella & will be in corral C, I do not plan to check a bag. Was planning to walk to the start but would it be better to shuttle?

No shuttle, just walk. Looks like the corrals are on Disneyland drive which means it's just pretty much crossing Katella and walking on up.

GI issues and how to avoid them are one of those things to be addressed during training. What bothers you, what can you handle, etc. It's hard to do "nothing new in race day" when traveling. That's why I've retired from Disney Halfs for now, because my system is so sensitive and I have to get super-protective of my belly (even down to bringing my own spring water in a water backpack because dasani bottled in Anaheim and Orlando kills me), and that's not fun when at Disney. For lower mileage runs I'm more flexible tummy-wise.

But we all have different bellies!

This is probably the flattest of the Disneyland courses, there are no overpasses!

Have you tried using compression sleeves on your calves? They help my muscles tremendously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter