***Official*** Pandora: The World of Avatar Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going later today, leaving my house around 3:30 so should be parking around 3:25pm. I'll update.
Taking DD to see the night bioluminescence. Probably stay until we are kicked out :)
LoL..How in the heck are you traveling back in time???:confused3 3:30 - 3:25 ? Sorta like back 2 the future...

B.T.W. FWIW.......I can't freakin wait to see all this stuff in a couple months....Kids still don't know..LoL

After having read pages of this thread this weekend as we were preparing to go yesterday, here are my thoughts. We came in from on site at Universal, so I rode both FoP and Forbidden journey in same day.

We are HUGE Harry Potter fans. We loved FJ when we first rode and were wowed. Yesterday, FoP blew everything I have ever ridden out of the water. It was the first time I have ever ridden a ride and been very sad that it was over. FoP is immersive, I only felt like I was on a ride when I turned my head because my daughter kept talking to me in excitement for what she saw. The screen wraps around the ride vehicles so well that you don't see edges. There is no distortion (except for the 3D glasses that I never can seem to see right through). The "motorcycle" part even gives you feedback that helps maintain that immersive experience. The sensory input outside of sight was fabulously done. Soarin and Star TOURs had a super powered super charged baby called FoP doesn't even come that close to covering it.

Now to FJ. My 10 year old daughter rode FJ for the first time Saturday. She was in awe. Sunday we did Pandora, she was in awe. Sunday afternoon we went back to FJ. She (and I) were underwhelmed. FJ you are in the ride vehicle, and I am aware of that at all times. I saw the edges of the screens in every transition from area to area. The flinging upside down and around sometimes felt as if it was done to be "thrilling" instead of necessary to the ride. We still liked it.

My family has also enjoyed Disney Quest and have ridden the Aladdin ride. FoP is so much better. It's been years since I did that one, but I remember that it was not something was impressed by.

Loved your comparison between the two.

I just think it is pretty awesome that both Uni and Disney have given us two areas so immersive and rides so spectacular that there are grounds to argue about which is better, more cutting edge, and more immersive. Now I'm even more excited about Pandora!

I'm not a Potter fan, but Gringotts is my absolutely most favourite theme park ride anywhere (FoJ was an extremely cool ride - but just not to our family's taste). I'm thrilled to hear that FoP is the type of ride that can compete and even possibly replace it (especially since the Pandora theme is more to our taste than the Potter theme). Works for our family since it will be some years before our family returns to Uni.

That'll be fun to meet you. I'll be wearing a white Star Wars shirt with the Millennium Falcon

Same! I'm wearing a black Disboards shirt and a black Star Wars hat. My Dad and I are also really tall so we are usually recognized that way.

I'd love to meet either of you if anyone is willing to set up a time/place! Our FOP FP is for 4:15 so we'll be heading there right at 4:10 if anyone wants to wait in line together or something. :) Or could meet after as we'll probably head to Satuli again. I just dug out our lime green DIS shirts (from a 2005 trip) so hopefully you can pick me out too - I'll be looking for both of you!

I've read here that the FP line for FOP has been up to 45 minutes- what about NRJ?
Yesterday at about 4:20 it took us less than 5 minutes from scanning at NRJ until we were on the ride vehicle.

I wish I could share the sediment but to me it was very amateurish. I don't think anyone at disney is known for their nightscapes aside from some glowing trinkets and strategic lighting. Add in letting a 4 year old paint the ground and toss in black lights and you have pandora at night... I think this is 1 place they forgot to really research as I've been in some stunning locations and that might be why this didn't impress me. I don't think it felt the same as the na'vi river ride so there is a consistency problem between a night ride to the shaman and what it looks like at night.

With that said, I'm not sure everything was on the first night.. I'm still confused about the lighting ceremony that appeared to be just another drum circle performance and thinking something went wrong and they didn't do it. The trees weren't lit but you start to leave pandora, especially on the harambe side and the trees are amazing.. it goes all around AK with the little "sprites in the tree" look as I call it.

Now there was some nice things going on.. The plants were well done and I wouldn't them amateur trinkets. The projections on the floating mountain were a little too subtle but interesting. nobody could really tell what we were looking at though. I assume the prominent one was a couple banshees nesting from where it was happening and how it looked like 2 heads moving around.
May not have all been on. I know last night everyone was walking around with their mouths open in amazement. It may just be that the rest of us are really easy to impress lol

I heard of some outages the first day.. Today had to be at least a theater down and not just a bank of seats or it was something unsafe to repair with the theater still operating (guessing).
Opening day went very well. The Pandora rides were some of the most reliable rides in all of WDW. Yesterday not as good.

curious if either of you have been on FoP yet.

As far as FJ using a high tech ride apparatus, the robotic arm mounted on a moving platform is nothing new. I couldn't find "bleeding edge" in these photos. A lot of empty walls relying heavily on the digital projection. https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=forbidden+journey+ride+layout&fr=yfp-t&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AEr0I9dqtiw/TqYsa-L6Y4I/AAAAAAAAA1E/H-1vz6Rk8uU/s1600/ctxul.gif#id=0&iurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AEr0I9dqtiw/TqYsa-L6Y4I/AAAAAAAAA1E/H-1vz6Rk8uU/s1600/ctxul.gif&action=click

Disney has taken us to the next generation in the virtual realm.

Empty walls?? Have you even ridden FJ? You're taken through elaborate real sets as well as the projection domes. You're sounding Disney brainwashed frankly, but I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion.

curious if either of you have been on FoP yet.

As far as FJ using a high tech ride apparatus, the robotic arm mounted on a moving platform is nothing new. I couldn't find "bleeding edge" in these photos. A lot of empty walls relying heavily on the digital projection. https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=forbidden+journey+ride+layout&fr=yfp-t&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AEr0I9dqtiw/TqYsa-L6Y4I/AAAAAAAAA1E/H-1vz6Rk8uU/s1600/ctxul.gif#id=0&iurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AEr0I9dqtiw/TqYsa-L6Y4I/AAAAAAAAA1E/H-1vz6Rk8uU/s1600/ctxul.gif&action=click

Disney has taken us to the next generation in the virtual realm.
Have you been on Forbidden Journey?

I was hoping that people wouldn't fight about this...yet. I know that endless discussions are inevitable though. :crazy:

Empty walls?? Have you even ridden FJ? You're taken through elaborate real sets as well as the projection domes. You're sounding Disney brainwashed frankly, but I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion.
I agree. Not a HP fan, definitely not a Universal fan. But I still think by far FJ is the best ride anywhere. I've ridden FOP 6 times and yes, it's awesome and definitely the best that Disney has to offer. But I think the Kuka arm concept and movement ability (as opposed to just a platform), real sets, and individual projection domes make FJ something that can't be touched at this point. I renew my Universal AP simply to ride FJ (and get Butterbeer ice cream!). ;)

I'd love to meet either of you if anyone is willing to set up a time/place! Our FOP FP is for 4:15 so we'll be heading there right at 4:10 if anyone wants to wait in line together or something. :) Or could meet after as we'll probably head to Satuli again. I just dug out our lime green DIS shirts (from a 2005 trip) so hopefully you can pick me out too - I'll be looking for both of you!

My FASTPASS is at 4:10. I'll be wearing DIS credentials now as well. Want to plan a meeting spot?

We are going on the 3rd for 7:00 am EMH. I'll have my 70+ yr old in-laws with us (great shape and can run, if needed :) I planned on driving to beat the park buses and arriving about 6. What I'm wondering is what happens when the park opens. For example, if we are close to the front and there are a bunch of people behind us, is it a free for all when they open? Or a controlled walk into pandora? We have FP's for FOP later but I'd like to do the queue too. I just don't want to get there real early then have to take off running for the ride line if that's what people behind us in line will be doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter