• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Official" Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2017 - Believe in the Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEWS

Limited Edition Contemporary Resort Holiday Merchandise

Contemporary-Merch-600x450.jpg

REMINDER

4:30pm close at the Magic Kingdom today.

Epcot is open until 9:30pm, Studios 8pm and Animal Kingdom to 8pm.

Crazycatlady - The wait times for rides were SUPER short! The wait time for Pirates seemed to be the length of time that it took to walk to the boat itself :-D Hindsight for us - A) Don't hit any of the parks the day before to give our kiddo (see also: ALL OF US) a chance to rest up and B ) Wait until our little guy is a touch older so that he can join us on more rides/take it all in without getting overwhelmed/be more patient for character wait times. There were a few times that cookie lines got a bit long, food lines as well (but that seemed to improve as it got later). The character wait lines never really did seem to diminish. We left the park at 11 (and were shocked that it was that late - it went so fast). This was our first time, but in talking to other people that had gone many times before, they felt that the event may have been oversold. We WILL go again though.

We went this past Tuesday (the 28th), believing that it would be less crowded after the holiday weekend. We were wrong. Sold out event. The lines for everything were just too long. When we tried for a character meet-up, our toddler picked Goofy because it was the shortest line (sorry Goofy ;-) ). We lasted about 30 minutes before he got too fidgety to stay. In that time, I'd say we moved up less than 10 spots. I think it would've been an all nighter if we made it to the end of the line. Everything about the event was great, except for the size of the crowd. It felt over sold to us. No chance for character meetings, or Santa. Just navigating our way out of the park took over 30 minutes, and that was just to get up Main St. The firework display and the parade were fantastic (best fireworks display I have ever seen). The atmosphere was festive and fun, but the crowds made it not worth it for us to try again until after our kiddo gets a bit older. He'll be 4 in a couple of weeks, and I think it was sensory overload with not enough pay-off for him. He ended up sleeping through the parade *lol* We're hoping to go back to MK next year for his Birthday, but will be skipping the Christmas Party for the foreseeable future.

They really do need to do something about the length of time character meet & greets take, as lot of it is down people being given as long as they want with the characters.
We had similar issues as you with Donald & Scrooge (See my earlier post) & it was a combination of inconsiderate guests in some cases being allowed to have in excess of 10 minutes with the characters as well as the characters playing up & yes giving certain guests a great interaction but at the cost of time to everyone else in line.
I have thought a lot about it & have come to the conclusion that long meet & greet lines keep guests busy & away from rides, shows & parade routes which will be a benefit to those guests that have no interest in meeting characters, the characters & their handlers may have been told to slow everything down by management to spread the crowds out a bit.
I could of course be completely wrong but I do not remember meet & greets taking up as much time at parties we have been to in the past.
When we return in 2019 we will still attend a couple of parties but will not bother with character meets unless the line is very short

We had similar issues as you with Donald & Scrooge (See my earlier post) & it was a combination of inconsiderate guests in some cases being allowed to have in excess of 10 minutes with the characters as well as the characters playing up & yes giving certain guests a great interaction but at the cost of time to everyone else in line.
I have thought a lot about it & have come to the conclusion that long meet & greet lines keep guests busy & away from rides, shows & parade routes which will be a benefit to those guests that have no interest in meeting characters, the characters & their handlers may have been told to slow everything down by management to spread the crowds out a bit.

We noticed the interaction was stepped-up for sure. While it was really great to see the kids get more personal time, there were also a lot of adults hamming it up for as long as they could. Perhaps I'm just seeing this through parent goggles and sounding bitter.
We didn't leave the line until Goody actually left for a break, with the people waiting standing there agape. We actually laughed because everyone looked a bit confused. I'm sure the work is hot and taxing, but there was no warning or mention to the crowd that was waiting what was going on. We stuck around for a few minutes then gave up because squirmy toddler was squirmy. We ended up going directly to the square for the parade instead, with the kiddo falling asleep on the way :-D

15D and counting!!!! :santa:

:offtopic: Finished up most of my Christmas decorations Monday, just have to finishing decorating our table. Yes! Finally did that spring cleaning I've put off forever since softball never ended from last year. :rotfl2:Sorted out closet last night, that's where all the Magic is until we leave. I will pack my "Santa Sack" tonight. :woohoo:I was able to get all three headbands in advance. Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 10.52.54 AM.png

Friend is working on our t-shirts. I'll let you know how the MBs turn out tomorrow. Christmas & Disney music is playing......

I'm sooooo STINKING EXCITED! :santa:

15D and counting!!!! :santa:

:offtopic: Finished up most of my Christmas decorations Monday, just have to finishing decorating our table. Yes! Finally did that spring cleaning I've put off forever since softball never ended from last year. :rotfl2:Sorted out closet last night, that's where all the Magic is until we leave. I will pack my "Santa Sack" tonight. :woohoo:I was able to get all three headbands in advance. View attachment 285922

Friend is working on our t-shirts. I'll let you know how the MBs turn out tomorrow. Christmas & Disney music is playing......

I'm sooooo STINKING EXCITED! :santa:
The fuzzy ear ones may have to be mine this trip, i got my rose gold ones from the DH for my bday but you can never have enough ears.....

UPDATE

See Post #2 - Christmas Tree Trail

Disney Springs Christmas Tree Trail Debuts Extended Weekend and Holiday Hours

Based on the popularity of this new seasonal staple, hours have been extended an additional hour every Friday and Saturday and also on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The Tree Trail is offered through the holiday season, and will run through January 7, 2018.

The updated operating hours are as follows:

Monday – Thursday: 12 pm to 10 pm
Friday – Saturday: 10 am to 11 pm
Sunday: 10 am to 10 pm
Christmas Eve, 12/24: 10 am to 11 pm
Christmas Day, 12/25: 10 am to 11 pm
Anyone know if Santa’s meet times were extended too?

The fuzzy ear ones may have to be mine this trip, i got my rose gold ones from the DH for my bday but you can never have enough ears.....

I had a friends check on the Rose Gold Ears during Thanksgiving. Of course, they left the day all of the posts showed the ears in the parks. Yes, never too many ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter