***Official January 2023 Thread***

So as my ADR window opens I need some expert opinions. I'm planning our trip for my family and my sister's family (8 ppl total). Since my sister is bringing her kids for the 1st time she wants to eat at some specific places...all of them being tough ADRs to get. Wondering what order you guys would recommend I should try to book first the morning our window opens and which ones I should push to the later days of the trip to have better luck. Here is the list:
-Be Our Guest
-Akershus
-Tusker House
-Woody's Roundup Rodeo BBQ (if opened by then)

Thanks!
It appears you are visiting towards the end of January, which means you have time to plan!

I agree with jvalic33 that Woody's would probably be the most popular and should be prioritized. Since Akershus is still in the process of re-opening, it could also be popular. The good news is that you have time to see reviews about its current quality and experience before deciding.

If you haven't already, really make sure the menus for each option pair with your specific party. Although some of these restaurants have amazing theming, it's a lot to pay if children or even adults would find little to eat. Also, it depends which characters or themes are most important to your family.

Since this is the first visit for children (depending on their ages and interests), I would probably prioritize Woody's, Be Our Guest, Akershus, and then Tusker House. This is more based on movie-related theming that I would personally want to see for the first time. If you are more interested in the food or characters, the order could change.

Best wishes for a successful ADR day!

Great thread. So much useful information. I just renewed my AP and decided I needed a few nights of magic. Doing a solo trip January 19 through January 22. Planning on a few favorite rides and looking for 50th Anniversary merchandise. Staying at POFQ.
Woohoo! You've been added!

It appears you are visiting towards the end of January, which means you have time to plan!

I agree with jvalic33 that Woody's would probably be the most popular and should be prioritized. Since Akershus is still in the process of re-opening, it could also be popular. The good news is that you have time to see reviews about its current quality and experience before deciding.

If you haven't already, really make sure the menus for each option pair with your specific party. Although some of these restaurants have amazing theming, it's a lot to pay if children or even adults would find little to eat. Also, it depends which characters or themes are most important to your family.

Since this is the first visit for children (depending on their ages and interests), I would probably prioritize Woody's, Be Our Guest, Akershus, and then Tusker House. This is more based on movie-related theming that I would personally want to see for the first time. If you are more interested in the food or characters, the order could change.

Best wishes for a successful ADR day!
Thank you so much for this wisdom! It's very helpful!

Well, my ADR opened up today. 5:45am and both my daughter and I were on a desktop and my cell and one other laptop. Myself a 10 plus year ADR veteran could not get a single reservation. She grabbed us Biergarten for 8 on our arrival day and one of our 2 4 person Flying Fish reservations. Not sure what happened, but I did later get a Fraud Alert from my Disney Visa card when I was finalizing my Hoop Dee Doo ressie.

Anyway, in the end, I got every single reservation but a word to the wise. It was only by calling in at 7am that I was able to get them.

For whatever reason the online booking was not working for me. Even after notifying my cc that the fraud was not fraud (I even bought my park passes with my Disney card), I was trying to book on both mine and my hubby's computer with different cards and nothing was working. Times were showing up, I was clicking and getting Sorry for our Paws with a pic of Lady and the Tramp.

Letting It Go!

I will tell you that there are definitely some places that will not allow you to book 8 person ressies. However, I have also had lots of success getting hard to get ressies with 8 like at Oga's cantina. I guess they have a couple of those larger tables and we always got in there and sat at one of the two large tables.

Based on my experience booking for 8 in all the places below (minus Woody's - which I would put first if it actually opens in time for your booking window), I would do:

1 - Be Our Guest
2 - Tusker House - Just because I like this one better than Akershus
3 - Akershus

But I think you need to ask your people what their priorities are. If you really want a picture with Belle (which I assume they will do again when Akershus reopens - I haven't reviewed the reports) then that might bump it up.

As far as character meals go, I just have always liked Tusker because the characters look cool in their safari costumes and it's conveniently located inside AK and their juice is yummy and the food is higher quality than some other character breakfasts.

Be Our Guest has been awesome and so so for us, but the Beast is only there during dinner, so keep that in mind when you are booking that one and he really is a cool character to meet.

Finally, keep in mind that if you run into issues, it just might be that you need to call in.

I was still having trouble with my booking while my cast member was getting my reservations with no problem at all and you need to have two different logins if you are going to do a 4 and a 4 whereas the dining line can help you with splitting a large table.

GOOD LUCK!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! This is very good info to know come my ADR booking day. I really appreciate your advice and help!!

Yes, I think the online ADR system has been having serious issues for awhile - here is to hoping it is up and running by next Wednesday for my ADR day - otherwise I will call in.

Yes, I think the online ADR system has been having serious issues for awhile - here is to hoping it is up and running by next Wednesday for my ADR day - otherwise I will call in.
Well, I had to call in to technical support today because I still cannot make a reservation from mydisneyexperience on my laptop or phone. Nothing....not even a test like Chef's de France for 4 people for lunch....

I was told that there are a couple other January people having the same problem. Not sure if it is a glitch with the system not identifying that we have a linked reservation or what, but the good news is that I got every single reservation I wanted and that is NOT what happened last year at this time.

I got Hoop Dee Doo, Cali Grille (We already did the 50th dinner and really loved it) Story book Dining (this will be a first for us since converting to a character meal - Artist Point was one of our favorites), Jiko, Flying Fish, Yachtsman, The Boathouse, Hollywood & Vine bfast (not sure I'm going to keep this one as my little doesn't really watch those character shows but the other kids liked the food there back in the day), Ohana and Whispering Canyon for breakfast (we haven't done these before, we usually do Kona), and Topolinos breakfast on our last day. Also Ale and Compass a couple days for breakfast as they have my favorite food for breakfast, chocolate waffles with dark cherries and a marscapone cream on top.

I guess I'm hungry as I write this.....

Anyway, it seems like things are not a crazy or maybe that priority booking that they added for some onsite guests might have made it easier....who knows....just don't freak out if come 6am you don't get what you want, just be one of the first to call in at 7.

We'll be at Bay Lake Tower from Jan 7-14 in a theme park view room. I can't wait for this special splurge!
Family of three, first time back to the World in several years for Dad and son. They will get to see Star Wars Land (as I call it) in HS for the first time. I may have done a few solo trips without them..... but it's all family all week this trip!

We'll be at Bay Lake Tower from Jan 7-14 in a theme park view room. I can't wait for this special splurge!
Family of three, first time back to the World in several years for Dad and son. They will get to see Star Wars Land (as I call it) in HS for the first time. I may have done a few solo trips without them..... but it's all family all week this trip!
Woohoo, BLT TPV! You've been added!

Looking for some warmth: Jan. 18-24th Cabana Bay Universal/24-29th Coronado Springs/29th somewhere near Tampa Bay/30-Feb. 4th Brilliance of the Seas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter