• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Official December 2022 Thread***

We have just decided on a last minute offsite trip for Dec 16-Jan 2/3. Eeeeekkkkk!!!

Good thing we are reasonably experienced and were just there in August and October. DH and I have APs and we plan to get the kids 14 day UK Magic Tickets.

Our last trip with both kids was in August for 1 week and we only did 3 park days. Came home exhausted from the go-go-go feeling. Plus that was our first trip since the pandemic and we wanted to do EVERYTHING.

This time my plan is a slower paced trip. A few hours in the morning, a lengthy 5-6hr afternoon break, and a few hours in the evening. Without enough time to plan in advance (especially since our APs only let us reserve for 5 days at a time), we will have to rely on hoppers.

I’m feeling overwhelmed. I made a few park reservations yesterday and a couple of dining ones. Now really trying to decide what we will want to do and the important things I need to work on.

Big things are Fantasmic, more Guardians of the Galaxy, Candlelight Processional, fireworks at MK, and any other special Christmas stuff. We will likely do Genie+ a couple of days during the trip as some rides will be impossible to do without. And we really hate waiting in lines in general. Oh yeah - forgot about that bit.

We did a Christmas/NYE trip a few years ago but I pushed myself really hard, got pneumonia and had to come home early. I do NOT want that to happen. I get stressed easily though and last min trips can be very overwhelming.

We just got back from our November trip and since it was short in WDW and affected by the Tropical Storm, it makes me more excited to back in December. This is a non parks trip, but knowing us, we will cave and go to at least one. Also waiting to find out if we are getting any sort of recovery offer from our lost park day. We already got a free ticket from Universal, so hoping Disney does the same. The holiday decor was looking good!!!

Ya'll are going to have so much fun!!!! It will be a last minute trip for us too! We just finalized booking Ft. Wilderness Dec 23- Jan 6. It's been my dream to 'live' in Disney for two whole weeks in our camper-- sooooo excited!!!! So much has changed in the World since our last trip to the Fort in summer 2018. With a 10-day pass, we decided to forego Genie + and park hoppers to try to save some $$. I'm trying to be very strategic with park plans since we'll be there during the busiest time of the year from what I've heard- so I hope it works out. Last time we visited, we used the same strategy you mentioned- waking up early, verrry long midday breaks/naps, and going back for the evenings. Religiously we did this- no exceptions; and it also helped us save on meals. It really is the best- being able keep four kids well rested but still making it to rope drop, evening events, and the shorter end of day ride lines. Downside is we did miss plenty of the parades and shows. But, I would say we were able to do everything we wanted in 2018 with the free fast passes on only a 5-day pass, with only one rest day instead of the four rest days we'll get this time. Last time we used parent swap a lot, but I think another strategy we'll have to employ this time is being willing sometimes to split up the older kids and younger between my husband and I. It's hard, because I really want to see their faces every single time. Actually it surprised me- my DS (16) mentioned he wants take a younger sibling on a ride or two! I looked it up, and apparently guests under 7 can ride with someone 14 or older- who knew?

Ya'll are going to have so much fun!!!! It will be a last minute trip for us too! We just finalized booking Ft. Wilderness Dec 23- Jan 6. It's been my dream to 'live' in Disney for two whole weeks in our camper-- sooooo excited!!!! So much has changed in the World since our last trip to the Fort in summer 2018. With a 10-day pass, we decided to forego Genie + and park hoppers to try to save some $$. I'm trying to be very strategic with park plans since we'll be there during the busiest time of the year from what I've heard- so I hope it works out. Last time we visited, we used the same strategy you mentioned- waking up early, verrry long midday breaks/naps, and going back for the evenings. Religiously we did this- no exceptions; and it also helped us save on meals. It really is the best- being able keep four kids well rested but still making it to rope drop, evening events, and the shorter end of day ride lines. Downside is we did miss plenty of the parades and shows. But, I would say we were able to do everything we wanted in 2018 with the free fast passes on only a 5-day pass, with only one rest day instead of the four rest days we'll get this time. Last time we used parent swap a lot, but I think another strategy we'll have to employ this time is being willing sometimes to split up the older kids and younger between my husband and I. It's hard, because I really want to see their faces every single time. Actually it surprised me- my DS (16) mentioned he wants take a younger sibling on a ride or two! I looked it up, and apparently guests under 7 can ride with someone 14 or older- who knew?
I actually tent camped at the Fort for 2 weeks over Christmas back in 2019!

I think 10 day passes are great. My only caution is that even with 10 days, it’s quite difficult to do without Genie+ if u want to do the big rides. Still - it’s doable if your crew is willing to do rope drop since u have early entry. I would focus on the first 1-2 hours every morning and the last hour of each day, planning to get in line for headliners 1-5 mins before park close.

We did NYE at Epcot and drove and were shocked when we were back at our campsite relatively quickly after the fireworks.

I’d say AK is the easiest. Straight to FoP (plan to be at the very head of the pack). Then a quick spin on Everest (if willing to fast walk otherwise save for an hour before close). Onwards to the Safari. Then Kali River Rapids when it opens (usually 9am I think?). Reride Kali since you’re already wet. Then after it’s shows and a nice afternoon break. In the evening, ride Everest and get into FoP line at closing for a reride. In August it was 30 mins, in Oct more like 45+ mins. At Christmas I would expect 1hr or so.

For our trip, we are offsite so no early entry which is going to make things far more difficult.

@gadget118 also, did you already buy your park tickets? The 14 day UK tickets are actually the same price as 8 day base tickets and have hoppers, waterparks and memory maker included.

Rider swap has changed at WDW. They only allow one child back with the waiting adult. Our kids were sad when they had to split up with the parents.

Sometimes they make the entire party stand outside in the outdoor portion of the queue and give a rider switch only when you reach the ride sign where the CM with an iPad stands (we were shocked with this one as it makes no sense for our 3 year old to be baking in the hot sun in a stroller when she’s not going to be riding SDMT). We’ve had to do this at FOP as well (queue moved fast and we only waited 5-10 mins). This only applied to standby. I haven’t heard anyone do this at ROTR (we’ve always purchased LlI$).

No I already bought the 10-day tickets- wow didn't know that was a possibility. That is crazy. I wish I had remained blissfully unaware of that- lol.

Last edited:

Rider swap has changed at WDW. They only allow one child back with the waiting adult. Our kids were sad when they had to split up with the parents.

Sometimes they make the entire party stand outside in the outdoor portion of the queue and give a rider switch only when you reach the ride sign where the CM with an iPad stands (we were shocked with this one as it makes no sense for our 3 year old to be baking in the hot sun in a stroller when she’s not going to be riding SDMT). We’ve had to do this at FOP as well (queue moved fast and we only waited 5-10 mins). This only applied to standby. I haven’t heard anyone do this at ROTR (we’ve always purchased LlI$).
That is great information- thanks!

I actually tent camped at the Fort for 2 weeks over Christmas back in 2019!

I think 10 day passes are great. My only caution is that even with 10 days, it’s quite difficult to do without Genie+ if u want to do the big rides. Still - it’s doable if your crew is willing to do rope drop since u have early entry. I would focus on the first 1-2 hours every morning and the last hour of each day, planning to get in line for headliners 1-5 mins before park close.

We did NYE at Epcot and drove and were shocked when we were back at our campsite relatively quickly after the fireworks.

I’d say AK is the easiest. Straight to FoP (plan to be at the very head of the pack). Then a quick spin on Everest (if willing to fast walk otherwise save for an hour before close). Onwards to the Safari. Then Kali River Rapids when it opens (usually 9am I think?). Reride Kali since you’re already wet. Then after it’s shows and a nice afternoon break. In the evening, ride Everest and get into FoP line at closing for a reride. In August it was 30 mins, in Oct more like 45+ mins. At Christmas I would expect 1hr or so.

For our trip, we are offsite so no early entry which is going to make things far more difficult.
Great AK information! Thanks!

Seeing updated hours for the first full week of December 12/4 - 12/10!

Seeing an extra hour at AK on 12/4, will now close at 8pm . MK moved opening from 9am to 8am on Party Days, but not 12/6. Also added an hour on Wednesday 12/7, which will bump back Deluxe Extended Evening hours to 11pm - 1am.
Looks like they started extending a few of the park hours for the week of December 25-31 as well. Hooray!

Seeing updated hours for the first full week of December 12/4 - 12/10!

Seeing an extra hour at AK on 12/4, will now close at 8pm . MK moved opening from 9am to 8am on Party Days, but not 12/6. Also added an hour on Wednesday 12/7, which will bump back Deluxe Extended Evening hours to 11pm - 1am.
Oh, this will change some of my plans...

Hey, just jumping in! I booked at the end of last month, so a bit last minute.

I'm going Dec. 12 - 15 and staying at ASMo. It will be my second solo trip and am going to celebrate finishing my first semester in a PhD program :)

I'm only going to Epcot for a day and attending the Christmas Party. Otherwise, I'm planning on touring the resorts for the holiday decorations and enjoy Disney Springs.

Alright - my Disney anxiety is kicking in and I would love feedback/help on how to best use Genie+ and ILL on my trip. @lorileahb or anyone else - please help!

Background: it's myself and my daughter, who is almost 11. She is a thrill seeker who loves the most intense rides at every park. We are staying onsite at Pop. We are rope drop, mid-day rest at resort, then back to parks people. She isn't interested in characters and we both love shows (me more than her, but she will have to deal!) and parades. I am willing to pay for ILL once per day. We only have 5 days of park tickets with no hopper and we are going to the MVMCP after our MK day. Our last day, we have a ressie at MK for now but we will decide if there's another park we'd rather go to on the last day based on what we were able to do previously. I have dining packages for CP and Fantasmic.

Thoughts on what to book first at 7am and how to best stack?

Alright - my Disney anxiety is kicking in and I would love feedback/help on how to best use Genie+ and ILL on my trip. @lorileahb or anyone else - please help!

Background: it's myself and my daughter, who is almost 11. She is a thrill seeker who loves the most intense rides at every park. We are staying onsite at Pop. We are rope drop, mid-day rest at resort, then back to parks people. She isn't interested in characters and we both love shows (me more than her, but she will have to deal!) and parades. I am willing to pay for ILL once per day. We only have 5 days of park tickets with no hopper and we are going to the MVMCP after our MK day. Our last day, we have a ressie at MK for now but we will decide if there's another park we'd rather go to on the last day based on what we were able to do previously. I have dining packages for CP and Fantasmic.

Thoughts on what to book first at 7am and how to best stack?
My suggestions:
MK: Jungle Cruise or Peter Pan first rope drop Space MT
HS: Slinky Dog then TOT if you can get it
AK: Navi (then rope drop Dinosaur & Everest)
EP: Test Track (rope drop Remy then head to Frozen)
If you're willing to pay for ILL, I'd do 7dmt, Rise & FoP and GotG (but try for a virtual queue first then buy it, your daughter will want to do it twice.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter