Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

Wow, people will do anything for a hammock right?!

Haha I suppose so - I felt bad for the cast members organizing who were so happy that after all of these years 280 people signed up... I don't think nearly that many people ran ANNNND a few people did have their younger, non-bibbed kids run with them as well - At least when I was around nothing was said to them.

No sweat off my back about either the run skippers or the people who thought age rules did not apply - just observations.

Personally, after running it, I was glad for the age restriction. My 5 year old would have wanted to sign up and I can not imagine he would have handled the heat well.

My husband and in laws came off the ship a little bit after I did, still got 4 great loungers and an umbrella right near the bathroom and cookies so I don't see any reason to rush off using the race as a cover.

What I did like, however, were the character/photo lines while we were walking to the race start. Since there is a small wait at the start for those who are dropping their kids at Scuttles Cove to hang out while they run, I was able to jump in for a photo with Capt Jack and Pluto :) No line at all

Haha I suppose so - I felt bad for the cast members organizing who were so happy that after all of these years 280 people signed up... I don't think nearly that many people ran ANNNND a few people did have their younger, non-bibbed kids run with them as well - At least when I was around nothing was said to them.

No sweat off my back about either the run skippers or the people who thought age rules did not apply - just observations.

Personally, after running it, I was glad for the age restriction. My 5 year old would have wanted to sign up and I can not imagine he would have handled the heat well.

My husband and in laws came off the ship a little bit after I did, still got 4 great loungers and an umbrella right near the bathroom and cookies so I don't see any reason to rush off using the race as a cover.

What I did like, however, were the character/photo lines while we were walking to the race start. Since there is a small wait at the start for those who are dropping their kids at Scuttles Cove to hang out while they run, I was able to jump in for a photo with Capt Jack and Pluto :) No line at all

Glad you enjoyed your run. I agree, the heat can be brutal for the little ones
I ran it in June and it was soooo hot :beach:

Can I just walk it in about 55 minutes or is there a limit of time to do it?
. I don't think there is a time limit....not sure how long the cast members stay at the end with your medal though. I will say I finished slow(for me) in 37 minutes. After that I used the restroom, found my family,walked back to the shop near the finish to purchase a shirt...and the cast members were still there. That had to be an approx total time elapsed of an hour.....I'd say 50 mins or so should be okay....

Just ran this on Friday....age was 8 and older. People were getting off of the ship at the same time as the runners however they did block access to the aft gangway so that only runners were using it. Oh and I especially loved the people who clearly signed up because they thought they were getting off of the ship first --- showing up to the meet point in a swimsuit and flip flops...they mysteriously disappeared during the walk to the start line. I'd guess a good handful of people did that !

Hopefully, it will be 8 on our cruise too. My seven (turns eight the first day of the cruise) wanted to do the 10k with me at Disneyland over the weekend. I thought he was too young, so I said no. He was a little disappointed to learn that a 3 and 7 year old ran the race and both finished faster than I did. The 7 year old finished in 50 minutes, and the 3 year old finished in 1 hour 17 minutes.

If they do not give him a bib, I will let him run and give him my medal at the end. He already claimed my 10k medal but said he wants one of his own.

Hopefully, it will be 8 on our cruise too. My seven (turns eight the first day of the cruise) wanted to do the 10k with me at Disneyland over the weekend. I thought he was too young, so I said no. He was a little disappointed to learn that a 3 and 7 year old ran the race and both finished faster than I did. The 7 year old finished in 50 minutes, and the 3 year old finished in 1 hour 17 minutes.

If they do not give him a bib, I will let him run and give him my medal at the end. He already claimed my 10k medal but said he wants one of his own.

It might help to keep peace in you household if you have your son look at photos of the alleged 3 and 7 year old who ran the DL 10k. The age shown in the results was clearly a typo. Both are 20+ years older than your son.

The official age to participate in a RunDisney 10k is 10. -- Suzanne

Shuttle or do they make you walk to start line...really making it a 4 miler ?

It used to be that the runners were off the ship first to run while they were still setting stuff up and off loading. Is this not the case anymore? I don't like the idea of giving up valuable hammock time for running.

I ran it in Feb and Oct 2013 and neither time were we anywhere NEAR the first to get off the ship.

Since there is a small wait at the start for those who are dropping their kids at Scuttles Cove to hang out while they run, I was able to jump in for a photo with Capt Jack and Pluto :) No line at all

Interesting. The two times I ran it, Jack wasn't even out until something like 10am.

Feb of last year there was a boy around my son's age (8 at the time if I'm getting things right) who ran it without a bib. He whined and complained the entire way and his parent was very much NOT happy with him. I had felt sad that my son couldn't run it (I'm a rule follower) until I saw how annoyed he was making his mom. Then I was VERY glad my son had gotten to sleep in, wake up with dad, and see Captain Jack instead of running in that heat. (and that was February)

It might help to keep peace in you household if you have your son look at photos of the alleged 3 and 7 year old who ran the DL 10k. The age shown in the results was clearly a typo. Both are 20+ years older than your son.

:thumbsup2

It's a little creepy that we can get results then go over to marathonphoto to see that, but we can do it, and those men are DEFINITELY not 3 and 7. :) Even if kids those ages could run the 10k. Which they can't.

I ran it in Feb and Oct 2013 and neither time were we anywhere NEAR the first to get off the ship. Interesting. The two times I ran it, Jack wasn't even out until something like 10am..
I think it was close to 10 when we got off the ship. It was well after 9:40 when we left the tube. My watch says I started running at 10:15.....

Haha. You're right. I just looked up the race photos and both of them look a little old to be 3 and 7.

Select a Division
Enter a Bib Number

Enter any or all of the following:
First Name Last Name City State Country

Div Place Name Bib Age Place Gender Place 5k Split Clock Time Net Time Hometown
MEN -- 9 AND UNDER
1 JIMMY LESZCZYNSKI 30566 7 323 251 25:33 57:45 50:30 SAN DIEGO, CA
2 ZACHARY RYAN BERRY 31688 3 3794 1777 39:24 1:44:00 1:17:52 FAIRFIELD, CA

I am considering running the CC 5k this October. My family also wants to do the stingray excursion. We have the noon slot reserved, but I was considering moving it to the 11. Do you think I'd be done in time to do the excursion?

It says we disembark at 9:45 and I am a beginner (C25K), so I'll be jog/walking. It looks like we may not be disembarking too much earlier that the stated time in the itinerary when we participate in the 5k.

I am considering running the CC 5k this October. My family also wants to do the stingray excursion. We have the noon slot reserved, but I was considering moving it to the 11. Do you think I'd be done in time to do the excursion?

It says we disembark at 9:45 and I am a beginner (C25K), so I'll be jog/walking. It looks like we may not be disembarking too much earlier that the stated time in the itinerary when we participate in the 5k.

A few weeks ago when I was on the Dream, I did the 5K and had the stingray excursion booked for 11 and had plenty of time after the race. In fact I couldn't find the family right away on the beach so had pictures taken with the character with my medal.

Another thing to keep in mind is the lunch buffet. When we went it was listed from noon to 1:30. I was really hungry anyways after the excursion at noon so we headed over there. The food was awesome!!!

By the way we thoroughly enjoyed the excursion.

Any other questions let me know.

A few weeks ago when I was on the Dream, I did the 5K and had the stingray excursion booked for 11 and had plenty of time after the race. In fact I couldn't find the family right away on the beach so had pictures taken with the character with my medal.

Another thing to keep in mind is the lunch buffet. When we went it was listed from noon to 1:30. I was really hungry anyways after the excursion at noon so we headed over there. The food was awesome!!!

By the way we thoroughly enjoyed the excursion.

Any other questions let me know.

I'm planning on running this 5k on my December 6-13 Fantasy Cruise. It's a critical run for me as it's the final race of my "40 races before I turn 40" personal challenge. Two years ago, when I longed to do the 5k but couldn't, I saw the runners gathering onshore long before we were allowed off the ship.

What time did you disembark? Were you let off before the beachgoers? (We're supposed to disembark at 9:30 am.)

We also have a stingray excursion booked for 11 am and I don't want to miss either event. Thanks for the info.

I'm planning on running this 5k on my December 6-13 Fantasy Cruise. It's a critical run for me as it's the final race of my "40 races before I turn 40" personal challenge. Two years ago, when I longed to do the 5k but couldn't, I saw the runners gathering onshore long before we were allowed off the ship.

What time did you disembark? Were you let off before the beachgoers? (We're supposed to disembark at 9:30 am.)

We also have a stingray excursion booked for 11 am and I don't want to miss either event. Thanks for the info.

That is our cruise. See you on the run. Just myself if 8 year olds are not allowed. My husband and 8 year old may join me if he can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter