Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

For those of you who have run this, are the roads well maintained or is it going to be like a trail run dodging potholes in the road?

For those of you who have run this, are the roads well maintained or is it going to be like a trail run dodging potholes in the road?

When I ran it about a year ago it was very well maintained. It was like running on a very nice asphalt walking path.

On a side note - I am looking forward to running the Castaway Cay 5k two days in a row on the upcoming October 23rd double dip ;)
Not to bother you, but I read on this board that on The double dips The CC5k is only run once, on The first day at CC. So please research to avoid disappointment.
Have a great cruise!

Not to bother you, but I read on this board that on The double dips The CC5k is only run once, on The first day at CC. So please research to avoid disappointment. Have a great cruise!

Oh that's a real shame it it turns out to be the case
I'm on the Oct 23rd DD sailing and was hoping it would be ran both days :-(

This past December it was fine. You do need to know that it's a tough course because there's no shade whatsoever. There is water available but still.

Regarding medals, my experience was as follows. Back in August 2012, they didn't have the medals, but at the time they gave us certificates and we also all took a picture with Goofy in a jog suit. After the picture, he wanted to run with us, but as impatient as he was, he started to run but in the opposite direction :)
Also, at the time, sign up was done the morning of, and they had a paper signup sheet.

This past December, it was organized by RunDisney. You had to sign up at least the night before at the port adventures desk. Those who showed up in the morning at the last minute were told they could run with us but would be on their own. They would not get bibs nor medals as they had only for those that signed up.

At the end of the race, there was a couple that were last minute signups. But since there were a couple of no shows, they got the medals.

Oh, and on this past trip, no certificate nor no photo with Goofy. I asked about the certificate and was told that when it was being given at the time because they didn't have medals then. Back then when I asked about the medal, I was told they were redesigning them - they never did though.

My daughter just ran the race this past Tuesday and she said that the roads were fine and she had no problem.

i certainly wont be running it :scared: i am however really looking forward to taking part and having something different to do whilst on vacation!:cool1:

I didn't mean "run" run. :). I just get tied of writing "do" all the time. I do run/walk, or more like jog/walk, so it's not like I necessarily "run" either.

It's a road. Runway originally, I think. No worries.

Not to bother you, but I read on this board that on The double dips The CC5k is only run once, on The first day at CC. So please research to avoid disappointment. Have a great cruise!

I have never read this. Everything I've read about double dips says it's run on both days.

This past December it was fine. You do need to know that it's a tough course because there's no shade whatsoever. There is water available but still. Regarding medals, my experience was as follows. Back in August 2012, they didn't have the medals, but at the time they gave us certificates and we also all took a picture with Goofy in a jog suit. After the picture, he wanted to run with us, but as impatient as he was, he started to run but in the opposite direction :) Also, at the time, sign up was done the morning of, and they had a paper signup sheet. This past December, it was organized by RunDisney. You had to sign up at least the night before at the port adventures desk. Those who showed up in the morning at the last minute were told they could run with us but would be on their own. They would not get bibs nor medals as they had only for those that signed up. At the end of the race, there was a couple that were last minute signups. But since there were a couple of no shows, they got the medals. Oh, and on this past trip, no certificate nor no photo with Goofy. I asked about the certificate and was told that when it was being given at the time because they didn't have medals then. Back then when I asked about the medal, I was told they were redesigning them - they never did though.

Yep. 2012 was a bad year for medals. That's when we were planning our early 2013 cruise so I read a lot about it! But 2013 was fine for medals. But they did get rid of goofy and the certificates in that time, too.

I read of one ship this year, one sailing actually, if memory serves, that didn't have the medals. Some guest services person said it was a redesign, but that turned out to be nonsense. I think they just needed to get a new shipment loaded when in PC again.

Oh I do hope it's ran on both days Bumbershoot
Oh well, I guess we will find out soon enough :-)

I ran this past February 2014! I did not have any problems with the path or track. There was plenty of water at the beginning, middle and end of the race. I registered for the race probably 1-3 days before on ship, not sure exact time, but it didn't seem like there would be any shortage of bibs or materials. I was a bit out of shape and hadn't run in awhile, and even though it was really hot, it was an easy, relaxed, fun race. Finished at a decent time and just enjoyed the whole experience. Lot of medals for all. Afterwards they have a shop for CCrun shirts and pins.

Seems like the start time can vary. I plan to run the 5K, but I also want to register for the stingray encounter, at the earliest possible time I could do after the race. Assuming I'll finish the race in about 45 minutes, what time slot (10:00, 11:00, 12:00, etc) do you think I could safely do for stingray registration?

Not to bother you, but I read on this board that on The double dips The CC5k is only run once, on The first day at CC. So please research to avoid disappointment.
Have a great cruise!

Just because its not officially being organized both days, doesn't mean that my wife and I can't run the route both days ;)

Seems like the start time can vary. I plan to run the 5K, but I also want to register for the stingray encounter, at the earliest possible time I could do after the race. Assuming I'll finish the race in about 45 minutes, what time slot (10:00, 11:00, 12:00, etc) do you think I could safely do for stingray registration?

I would definitely not register for the 10:00. Ours was a really big 5k group and it took quite a while to get everyone organized and walked off the ship. If I'm remembering correctly it was at least 9:15 before we started the run.

I would definitely not register for the 10:00. Ours was a really big 5k group and it took quite a while to get everyone organized and walked off the ship. If I'm remembering correctly it was at least 9:15 before we started the run.

I would agree! We were on the Fantasy this past week (on CC last Friday). Meeting time for the 5K was 9:15. We didn't get off the ship until around 9:45am and were walking by the area where the jet skis area around 9:55. I paid close attention to the time because my family had 10am jet ski reservations but were trying to 'see me off' before heading to their excursion - which of course didn't happen.

Not sure exactly when we started running ...

Is there an age restriction? I heard 12 years and older, but my DD 8 year old has completed many 5ks and wants us to do this as a family. Will they allow her to go ashore with us and do the run?

Is there an age restriction? I heard 12 years and older, but my DD 8 year old has completed many 5ks and wants us to do this as a family. Will they allow her to go ashore with us and do the run?

Ever since rundisney got more involved in this, they've had a stricter age restriction. I know that even before that, 8 year olds weren't able to run it, or my son would have run with me. Some sailings have said 10 and others have said 12, from what I've read this lasts year, but 8...no, don't count on it.

Ever since rundisney got more involved in this, they've had a stricter age restriction. I know that even before that, 8 year olds weren't able to run it, or my son would have run with me. Some sailings have said 10 and others have said 12, from what I've read this lasts year, but 8...no, don't count on it.

With that said, your child can still run (or at least they let them when I cruised last March); but they are not officially registered which means they don't get a bib or medal. I saw a couple parents give their bibs/medals to their child.

It used to be that the runners were off the ship first to run while they were still setting stuff up and off loading. Is this not the case anymore? I don't like the idea of giving up valuable hammock time for running.

Just ran this on Friday....age was 8 and older. People were getting off of the ship at the same time as the runners however they did block access to the aft gangway so that only runners were using it. Oh and I especially loved the people who clearly signed up because they thought they were getting off of the ship first --- showing up to the meet point in a swimsuit and flip flops...they mysteriously disappeared during the walk to the start line. I'd guess a good handful of people did that !

Just ran this on Friday....age was 8 and older. People were getting off of the ship at the same time as the runners however they did block access to the aft gangway so that only runners were using it. Oh and I especially loved the people who clearly signed up because they thought they were getting off of the ship first --- showing up to the meet point in a swimsuit and flip flops...they mysteriously disappeared during the walk to the start line. I'd guess a good handful of people did that !

Wow, people will do anything for a hammock right?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter