Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

aarpin, I don't know how old your son is, but if he's young enough for the kid's program on the Cay (Scuttle's Cove?) that should be open by the time of the 5K and people say you can drop him off on the way!

I contacted DCL recently regarding the Castaway Cay 5k and wanted to share their response:

"Whenever the Disney Cruise Line ship is in port at Castaway Cay, Guests
12 years and older may join the Cruise Staff for a 5K run (not a race).
Guests should check their Personal Navigator for more information. You
do not pre-reserve the 5k run on the internet ahead of time.

The start time is based on the ship's arrival at Castaway Cay. The end
time depends on how long it takes a Guest to run the 5K. There is a
clock at the start and end so Guests can record their time. Guests
receive a racing bib and a special keepsake, to commemorate their
accomplishment.

Guest Services on the ship has a limited number of strollers available
on a first-come, first-serve basis. The stroller can be used for the
duration of the cruise both onboard and ashore. The strollers are not
able to be pre-reserved.

The comfortable three-wheeled jogger style stroller folds easily and
offers an adjustable sun canopy. Storage space is available in the mesh
pouch located on the back of the seat. The strollers can be adjusted
into an upright or reclining position and are collapsible.

When a stroller is obtained, a $200 deposit fee is charged to your
onboard folio at the time of rental. Once the stroller is returned, the
$200 charge is removed.

If you prefer, you may also bring your own stroller. Although there is
no private storage available during your cruise, you may store your
stroller in your stateroom when not in use."

Hope this helps some of you!

i really wanna do this now but im just restarting c25k with 4weeks until my cruise i think that i may sadly have to sit this one out.

Do whatever level of effort you feel comfortable with, but if you'd love to do it, then get out there!

I did the CC 5K on Thanksgiving. It was my first 5k ever and I had some dehydration issues earlier in the week, so I didn't push it.

My truly dear husband waited with the CM at the water station to cheer me on. DCL guests also cheered me on as I ran to the finish line, which was very touching.

Of those who ran at all, I was one of the last at 50 + minutes.

There were a few who only walked. However, there was also a "power walk" according to the navigator. So maybe most walkers chose that instead.

-- Suzanne

Hi, just did the 5k on Thanksgiving 2013. Due to the Magic having a few minor problems when getting to the dock the people doing the 5k got off the Magic 1st followed by anyone else who was down in the debarking area. Normally the 1st people off are those doing the 5k.

We walked to the starting line and for those of us who had a bag there was a box with a lid that we could put our stuff in and a note inside saying Disney was not responsible if anything was missing. I put my bag in and when I went to get it everything was there.

There are I believe 3 water stations and 1 of those you pass 3 times, that one is manned and the other 2 are water jugs with small v shaped cups like you have in an office. Water is water and tastes great when you're hot and need it!

I am glad I did the 5k, it wasn't an exciting run as far as scenery, a lot of bushes and trees. I love WDW and love running behind the scenes.. so I'm a bit spoiled plus I live in Florida and in beach areas. You do get a bib / race number but no chips for your shoes. The race is timed only on when you started and when you crossed the finish line. When you cross the finish line you get a plastic Mickey head shaped medal! I was so pleased, I had heard they were not giving them out anymore. They did have plenty of 5k t-shirts. What they did not have the 5k pins but I found 1 on ebay.

Normally the 1st people off are those doing the 5k.

FWIW in two out of two CC5K experiences I've had, we haven't been anywhere NEAR first off the ship. Nor have they put it in our heads as an expectation.

I didn't look for 5K shirts the first time, but I did the second, and the women's size/style shirts (which ran TINY tiny tiny) were in very short supply.

CC5K pin? First I've heard of it!

Very happy to find this thread! I have read conflicting information about kids running the 5K. If we all run as a family (and stay together), can kids run? Mine are 10, 8 and 6. I have read that they allow kids under 12 if they are accompanied by a parent, but I don't know if that's "real" information and if it's still true today.

Very happy to find this thread! I have read conflicting information about kids running the 5K. If we all run as a family (and stay together), can kids run? Mine are 10, 8 and 6. I have read that they allow kids under 12 if they are accompanied by a parent, but I don't know if that's "real" information and if it's still true today.

I've never heard the accompanied by a parent thing, though I've also not seen a teenager there by him/herself.

It is more strict now, but it likely still varies a bit.

They will be able to run, but they will not get a bib or "medal" at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Did this for a second time in September and just want to reiterate how hot it is. My wife did it for the first time and she typically runs a sub 24 minute 5k. She didn't believe me when I told her how hot it was. She finished in over 31 minutes. Her advice - Bring a water bottle.

They will be able to run, but they will not get a bib or "medal" at the end. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I just ran it this past week and children under 12 where not allowed to run at all. The made sure all the kids that where there where going to be checked into child care on the island.

Did this for a second time in September and just want to reiterate how hot it is. My wife did it for the first time and she typically runs a sub 24 minute 5k. She didn't believe me when I told her how hot it was. She finished in over 31 minutes. Her advice - Bring a water bottle.

Ditto! Although I found several water stops in addition to the official one along the way if you don't have a water bottle with you.

. I just ran it this past week and children under 12 where not allowed to run at all. The made sure all the kids that where there where going to be checked into child care on the island.

Thanks for the correct info. When I ran last May kids were allowed. I guess it's always changing.

To the poster who asked the question, you will be able to take the shuttle to scuttles cove and then catch up with the group at the starting line. We saw a number of people do this.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DD 10 was allowed to run with me in November. The CMs made it very clear to the few of us that had children under the cutoff age that we were completely responsible for our children. DD was not given a bib, but she was given a medal.

Was on the Wonder last week and they required runners to sign up prior to the race at Guest Services or Port Adventures desk. There is now a blurb on the navigators about sign ups and the age requirement. They capped it at 100 entries and are not allowing anyone under 12 to sign up or get off the ship with the group of runners at CC.

Hi All,

We will be sailing on the Dream in February, and both my husband and I are avid short distance runners. We would both like to participate in the 5K on CC if possible. The only thing holding us back are our two kids, ages 1 and 4. So here is my question: if I leave the kids in the nursery and Club (no judgement please), is it possible to get off the ship on to CC, run the 5K, get back on the ship to get the kids from the nursery/club, and leave the ship again with the kids to spend the rest of the day on CC? About how far is it from the start/finish to the ship?

Thanks for your help!

My husband and I did the 5K two weeks ago. The group is one of the first people off at 8:40am and once you get to the starting spot it starts fairly quickly. We were done with the run by 9:30 which gives plenty of time to go back to the ship to shower (if you want), :) pick up your children and head back off the ship. You get a Medal for running (it is plastic but still very cute) and a great way to tour part of the island before anyone is off the ship. I am so glad we did it. We signed up for it the first night on the ship at Guest Services and they give you bibs to wear. It will definitely be own of our must dos from now on.:thumbsup2

Hi All, We will be sailing on the Dream in February, and both my husband and I are avid short distance runners. We would both like to participate in the 5K on CC if possible. The only thing holding us back are our two kids, ages 1 and 4. So here is my question: if I leave the kids in the nursery and Club (no judgement please), is it possible to get off the ship on to CC, run the 5K, get back on the ship to get the kids from the nursery/club, and leave the ship again with the kids to spend the rest of the day on CC? About how far is it from the start/finish to the ship? Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure about this so you might look through this thread, but I believe the kids club is only on the island when at castaway cay. I don't think the onboard kids club is open. I believe that the kids club is open on the island before the run and you can drop them off before you run. It is talked about earlier in this thread. ;)

Hi All,

We will be sailing on the Dream in February, and both my husband and I are avid short distance runners. We would both like to participate in the 5K on CC if possible. The only thing holding us back are our two kids, ages 1 and 4. So here is my question: if I leave the kids in the nursery and Club (no judgement please), is it possible to get off the ship on to CC, run the 5K, get back on the ship to get the kids from the nursery/club, and leave the ship again with the kids to spend the rest of the day on CC? About how far is it from the start/finish to the ship?

Thanks for your help!

I do'nt know if the Club is open on the ship.

The nursery is. BUT. The run is often delayed. I was near a woman who was highly upset because she felt that the schedule said it would be done in an hour (it didn't, but I can sort of see how she might have thought it did) so she had put her child in the nursery for an hour. We weren't even off the ship in an hour, and that's when I heard her talking to the CM in a VERY annoyed fashion.

So schedule it for 2 hours or so. That's my advice for the baby.

Other than that (and not knowing if the club on the ship is open), yes you can go back onto the ship, get cleaned up, and leave again. No problem.

Took us a good 10 minutes to walk from the ship to the start. At least.

And when I walked back (faster pace than we had walked as a group) it took about the same amount of time because of all the later-leavers walking to CC from the ship. They would see me and didn't seem to understand that they would have to unclump, that there were two directions on the path. It was highly annoying.

Also know that you aren't ALWAYS among the first off the ship. 2/2 times we haven't been close to the first off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter