• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Official August 2021 thread ***

Keep your chins up, everyone! I’m supposed to be there on a moms & daughters trip with DD15 and our friends but they had to go without me because of some health issues that crept up on me at the very last minute 😭. I’m their fearless leader and am guiding them from home. Luckily I taught my daughter well and she’s leading in person. So far it’s going amazing and they’re having a great time.

They flew in yesterday and got to Animal Kingdom around 4:45 PM. Everest was a 10 min wait even though posted was 25. They knocked out Everest, had dinner at Flame Tree, did KS then got in line for FoP minutes before park close at 6:55 pm. Waited just over an hour (I think it was similar to posted time) and then drove to MK. The adults with them aren’t seasoned Disney people and got lost on the way to TTC so that ate up some time. However, they arrived just as HEA started and missed the ferry but watched it from the monorail. Went upstream through MK to Space and was able to ride it once before closing. Then they hung and took pics in front of the castle. They were very happy with what they accomplished.

This morning they rope dropped MK. Staying offsite and drove and was about 20 feet back from the rope to Adventureland. They did Splash, BTMRR, Pirates, HM and Small World and walked up just in time for their Skipper Canteen reservation at 11:30 AM (which they all loved). Now they’re doing Philharmagic, CoP and Peoplemover to avoid crowds and stay out of the heat.

I keep hearing about how hot it is, and that’s to be expected. Rope drop is key!! I warned them ahead of time about the lines but I think they’re getting lots more done than they thought they would because they’re being smart about it (and they have my help from afar!)

I’ve been watching wait times for a week now and they do seem significantly less the past two days than the past week. I wonder if people (locals) changed their plans after the masking.

Anyhow, it’s not all bad news out there! Get excited about those trips!
Sorry you had to miss the trip! Sounds like you're enjoying living it as best you can through them. Great attitude!! :)

Keep your chins up, everyone! I’m supposed to be there on a moms & daughters trip with DD15 and our friends but they had to go without me because of some health issues that crept up on me at the very last minute 😭. I’m their fearless leader and am guiding them from home. Luckily I taught my daughter well and she’s leading in person. So far it’s going amazing and they’re having a great time.

They flew in yesterday and got to Animal Kingdom around 4:45 PM. Everest was a 10 min wait even though posted was 25. They knocked out Everest, had dinner at Flame Tree, did KS then got in line for FoP minutes before park close at 6:55 pm. Waited just over an hour (I think it was similar to posted time) and then drove to MK. The adults with them aren’t seasoned Disney people and got lost on the way to TTC so that ate up some time. However, they arrived just as HEA started and missed the ferry but watched it from the monorail. Went upstream through MK to Space and was able to ride it once before closing. Then they hung and took pics in front of the castle. They were very happy with what they accomplished.

This morning they rope dropped MK. Staying offsite and drove and was about 20 feet back from the rope to Adventureland. They did Splash, BTMRR, Pirates, HM and Small World and walked up just in time for their Skipper Canteen reservation at 11:30 AM (which they all loved). Now they’re doing Philharmagic, CoP and Peoplemover to avoid crowds and stay out of the heat.

I keep hearing about how hot it is, and that’s to be expected. Rope drop is key!! I warned them ahead of time about the lines but I think they’re getting lots more done than they thought they would because they’re being smart about it (and they have my help from afar!)

I’ve been watching wait times for a week now and they do seem significantly less the past two days than the past week. I wonder if people (locals) changed their plans after the masking.

Anyhow, it’s not all bad news out there! Get excited about those trips!

I don't know how old your daughter is, but I would totally send my daughter to lead a trip (she's 14). We call her "the map". I'm sorry you couldn't go, but I'm sure you are enjoying their updates.

We are regular August visitors, so the heat won't be shocking to us. Outdoor lines with masks, will take a bit to get used to, but if my daughter could play softball in a mask without complaint, we will endure without complaint (mostly).

Missing is the worst, but I'm very happy to hear line times seem to be somewhat reduced! Wouldn't be surprised if more locals were skipping out on it.

I said this to my husband last night, after reading some reports that it did seem a bit less crowded in MK yesterday. Hoping between that and some schools opening, that it will lighten up a tad for our upcoming trip. We usually go later in August, but our school has decided to start the week before Labor Day now (😪 I will complain about it every year til they graduate). So between that and my daughter starting HS and going to Orientation the week prior, we had to schedule earlier.

Sorry you had to miss the trip! Sounds like you're enjoying living it as best you can through them. Great attitude!! :)

I don't know how old your daughter is, but I would totally send my daughter to lead a trip (she's 14). We call her "the map". I'm sorry you couldn't go, but I'm sure you are enjoying their updates.
Thank you. It was really hard for me to send them off, but I’m actually really having a great time living vicariously through them without the exhaustion and heat! I typically can handle it, but not the way I’m feeling.

My daughter is 15 and out of the five of her and our friends, she’s the only one that knows her way around there. I’ve trained her very well and I’m SOOO proud of her! Bonus…now she knows what I go through with all the planning and organizing involved and can appreciate what I do for all our trips ❤️

So are you guys telling me that people could be cancelling and there is a small chance that my Beach Club waitlist (via DVC) could come through? hahahahaha

FL. schools go back next week I think. Most US schools go back the last week of August. They aren't telling you how many have died in these COVID numbers, they are not breaking it down by resident vs. non-resident, FL. only reports its numbers once a week.

I expect this mask stuff to be temporary.

On a separate note. I just got my Magicbands; yes exciting but I cannot believe how poor quality these are compare to what we used on out last trip 8 years ago. they look and feel so cheap, plus I had to pay for them this time around. Just a sign of the times I guess.....

Last edited:

Finally slowly packing through the day...got giftcards from BJs...not sure what else there is to do but wait!

Tried to buy some Disney cards at Target but they only had a handful of $100s and a boatload of $50s...not loading up $50s...will get too confusing.

We can still use our Magic Bands to purchase food right or did that go away as a Covid protocol?

Tried to buy some Disney cards at Target but they only had a handful of $100s and a boatload of $50s...not loading up $50s...will get too confusing.

We can still use our Magic Bands to purchase food right or did that go away as a Covid protocol?

You can still use magic bands as long as you are one of the resorts that uses them.

FYI, you can order from target.com and still get your redcard 5%. They had 100$ ones on there.

You can combine your gift cards at disneygiftcard dot com

Well, I bit the bullet and added park tickets and park pass reservations for our arrival day and departure day. Another $700 for our family of 5 😬

I was hoping to just kind of see what wait times were looking at on arrival day before deciding whether to visit the park then, and then maybe add days on the end depending on how things went. But looks like park passes are still going "orange" this week so I just don't want to chance that we'll get shut out and then have too few days to do what we want given lack of FP and August rain shutting things down etc.

Also booked the "Wave at California Grill" breakfast that everyone on this thread clued me into. Should hopefully get us a little earlier into MK than the buses, but if not, at least we'll have some nice breakfast on MK day.

DH and I started seriously considering cancelling today. We are supposed to head down on Saturday. We’re so torn. DD just had her first vaccine on July 23 (her 12th birthday, 😂). Statistically we should all be fine, but after all this time being so careful, it’s hard to let that go. Dh and I are both vaccinated but technically high risk (well-controlled diabetes for him and mostly-outgrown asthma for me).

One thing that might actually keep us going is that cases are rising in our state. We were planning on doing something more local, but at some point you just throw your hands in the air and wave them cuz you care, but just can’t deal anymore! ;P

DH and I started seriously considering cancelling today. We are supposed to head down on Saturday. We’re so torn. DD just had her first vaccine on July 23 (her 12th birthday, 😂). Statistically we should all be fine, but after all this time being so careful, it’s hard to let that go. Dh and I are both vaccinated but technically high risk (well-controlled diabetes for him and mostly-outgrown asthma for me).

One thing that might actually keep us going is that cases are rising in our state. We were planning on doing something more local, but at some point you just throw your hands in the air and wave them cuz you care, but just can’t deal anymore! ;P
I'm so sorry, I know how stressful it is because we've been feeling the same way, though I did feel a bit better that masks returned (although it does sound enforcement is a bit patchy). But I know exactly what you mean on your last point--we're in Missouri which is a massive Delta variant hot spot and no mask requirements anywhere, so with kids going back to school soon we can't really avoid it here either.

It’s exhausting. I want to go so badly. The cases are so much higher than when I went in October and they aren’t doing all the safety things with masking, social distancing, and sanitizing. Plus it sounds like people are coming home with Covid in the Here Now Thread. I at least have 19 days to decide.

What are you considering? Are you flying? I have to fly down because I’m going alone. I do have a rental car so I’d use that instead of buses. I have my masks. Last time I wore glasses on the plan to help but I could wear my face shield.
I guess I feel the highest risk is on the plane where I can’t distance, but the air is cycled through filters.

I'm so sorry, I know how stressful it is because we've been feeling the same way, though I did feel a bit better that masks returned (although it does sound enforcement is a bit patchy). But I know exactly what you mean on your last point--we're in Missouri which is a massive Delta variant hot spot and no mask requirements anywhere, so with kids going back to school soon we can't really avoid it here either.
My daughter is masking at school despite the lack of a mandate this year. She’s doing well, as well. I was afraid she’d have a hard time being compliant on her own (6 years) but she seems to be remembering.

Leaving a week from today! Our last trip was early June so it hasn't been long, and we'll be back late September for the 50th, but it's certainly always nice to be heading back!

It’s exhausting. I want to go so badly. The cases are so much higher than when I went in October and they aren’t doing all the safety things with masking, social distancing, and sanitizing. Plus it sounds like people are coming home with Covid in the Here Now Thread. I at least have 19 days to decide.

What are you considering? Are you flying? I have to fly down because I’m going alone. I do have a rental car so I’d use that instead of buses. I have my masks. Last time I wore glasses on the plan to help but I could wear my face shield.
I guess I feel the highest risk is on the plane where I can’t distance, but the air is cycled through filters.
We are flying. We could move our dates out to next summer. As of right now, the flights would only cost us an additional $100 for some reason. So that is a big factor.

I did a bunch of research and planes are actually one of the safest places. The air is cleaned, not just recycled.

I‘m thinking of getting some kn95 masks for that added peace of mind.

DH is a teacher, so if things get really crazy here, I would think he and DD would be almost just as likely to get it once school starts. DD will have 10 days before she starts so that makes me feel better about her not spreading anything.

The news of the crazy increase of hospitalizations in FL concerned me a lot and made me start looking into our options.

You can still use magic bands as long as you are one of the resorts that uses them.
Color me ignorant but some of the resorts aren't using Magic Bands anymore? Around the WS for food and wine can I still swipe my wrist and put it on the room? Or restaurants across property?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter