*** Official August 2021 thread ***

How are we feeling about crowds at the end of August and first of September? We're booked 8/28-9/5 and I've been lurking in all the FP threads in the Rumors board but I'm fearing long lines and having to rope drop the big rides I've never been on (FoP, SDD, MFSR, MMRR). Now, for the record, I'm not one of these "I NEVER wait in a line for more than 20 minutes" folks but I'm not looking forward to 120+ minutes either.

How are we feeling about crowds at the end of August and first of September? We're booked 8/28-9/5 and I've been lurking in all the FP threads in the Rumors board but I'm fearing long lines and having to rope drop the big rides I've never been on (FoP, SDD, MFSR, MMRR). Now, for the record, I'm not one of these "I NEVER wait in a line for more than 20 minutes" folks but I'm not looking forward to 120+ minutes either.
Our dates will partially overlap with yours. I think as summer/fall 2021 crowds go, we'll be there during some of the lower crowd times.

That being said, I'm also guessing it may be busier than some other years at that time purely because so many people are itching to travel.

Just a heads up with your dates, if it follows similar times as other years, crowds will grow as you move into your trip as you end on the long weekend. We've been there that weekend in the past and did see the parks being significantly more crowded starting the Fri of the long weekend. As long as you go in prepared for this, it will help so that it doesn't come as a surprise if it happens.

We just booked a last-minute trip (well last-minute for us as we usually book 6-8 months in advance) for August 17-August 22. We're staying one night at Pop Century (getting in very late) and then 4 nights at YC!

We've never been during the summer months - a little nervous about the heat/no fast pass - but still excited!

Mickey tie dyes are done for our trip! What is everyone doing to get ready?
Love it! We go at the end of August, so things will kick into gear for us early next month. However, we just went through all the menus for Food and Wine last night. Everyone chose the food and drink items they wanted the most, then we highlighted the single top food and drink item from each booth. It's a start!

Love it! We go at the end of August, so things will kick into gear for us early next month. However, we just went through all the menus for Food and Wine last night. Everyone chose the food and drink items they wanted the most, then we highlighted the single top food and drink item from each booth. It's a start!
I’ve been stocking up my “Disney drawer” where I keep all the stuff we only use on disney vacations—ponchos, anti-chafe stick, water shoes in the kids latest sizes. Not super exciting but it feels fun to get everything lined up.

I’ve been stocking up my “Disney drawer” where I keep all the stuff we only use on disney vacations—ponchos, anti-chafe stick, water shoes in the kids latest sizes. Not super exciting but it feels fun to get everything lined up.
Yes, we still need new versions of all of those things! The last time we went in August years ago, having a filtered water bottle saved us from the heat. I have to find our old one or get a new one. We would ask for cups of ice (not ice water) everywhere we went, and the water always tasted clean and fresh, which helped us stay hydrated. I'm debating cooling towels, but we'll see. I might get them and bring them anyway. I really need to update my packing list, since it's been so long since we went in the summer heat!

this is probably silly but we have never gone on the summer before. Are the water shoes for walking around or just for the resort pools? Thanks!

Looking at wait times and crying. 🤣

Me too! Some reports say wait times are inflated and some say they are accurate. I'm prepared to take long afternoon breaks if the parks are crazy and just do rope drop to lunch and then head back in the evenings.

Me too! Some reports say wait times are inflated and some say they are accurate. I'm prepared to take long afternoon breaks if the parks are crazy and just do rope drop to lunch and then head back in the evenings.
I don’t really have a plan. It seems like wait times are high even at open. I’m hoping they extend the hours.

I don’t really have a plan. It seems like wait times are high even at open. I’m hoping they extend the hours.
If it helps any, TP says the crowd levels are 6’t&6 right now and my week in August is mostly 2&3. I’m hoping that makes the waits lower. AND, the positive people on the Here Now thread say it hasn’t been all that bad

If it helps any, TP says the crowd levels are 6’t&6 right now and my week in August is mostly 2&3. I’m hoping that makes the waits lower. AND, the positive people on the Here Now thread say it hasn’t been all that bad
Thanks! I do see some people saying they didn’t think it was bad.

Mickey tie dyes are done for our trip! What is everyone doing to get ready?

We're at T-36 days (to Universal -- 40 days to Disney). I'm aggressively dieting, going for long brisk walks, breaking in my new sneakers, starting to put together outfits to be packed, picking up cheap rain ponchos and wet wipes to bring with us, assembling our Amazon Prime Now grocery delivery order in my online cart (to order after we touch down in Orlando), arranging our suitcases in the corner of my bedroom so I can look longingly at them daily, revising our packing lists, confirming availability for our pet sitter, and waiting for final park hours, refurb announcements, etc., so I can tweak our plans as necessary.

In the last week, we've also had fun riding Disney's least-enjoyable attraction, the "rollercoaster of stressful last-minute changes." We: (1) canceled our Polynesian package booking (confirmation of no monorail and unfinished construction = no-go for us, we'll save it for a future time) and switched to a premium suite at the Dolphin, thus saving $600; (2) bought and linked tickets from an authorized reseller, but also upgraded them to parkhoppers, spending $200 more than the original base tickets purchased from Disney; (3) switched our JetBlue flights from our nearest airport, on flights that I discovered have literally never once left on time and are often as much as 3-6 hours delayed, to flights out of an airport slightly further away but with a much better track record, in the process "saving" $400 worth of JetBlue points that came back to my account because the new JetBlue flights were significantly cheaper; and then (4) changed around all of our ground transportation bookings and hotel arrival estimates to accommodate these new plans. All our messing around with the plans did end up netting a cost savings of~ $400 and a "JetBlue points savings" of an additional $400 in value, so it was definitely worth it, but I'm very relieved, after having started to plan and book this vacation at the end of December 2020, to be able to pronounce our present plans "final."

Now that the planning, more planning, and then re-planning are all finished, I'm trying to stay laser-focused on my actual day job and family, because otherwise all I'd do is sit around day-dreaming about our upcoming trip!

Last edited:
We're at T-36 days (to Universal -- 40 days to Disney). I'm aggressively dieting, going for long brisk walks, breaking in my new sneakers, starting to put together outfits to be packed, picking up cheap rain ponchos and wet wipes to bring with us, assembling our Amazon Prime Now grocery delivery order in my online cart (to order after we touch down in Orlando), arranging our suitcases in the corner of my bedroom so I can look longingly at them daily, revising our packing lists, confirming availability for our pet sitter, and waiting for final park hours, refurb announcements, etc., so I can tweak our plans as necessary.

In the last week, we've also had fun riding Disney's least-enjoyable attraction, the "rollercoaster of stressful last-minute changes." We: (1) canceled our Polynesian package booking (confirmation of no monorail and unfinished construction = no-go for us, we'll save it for a future time) and switched to a premium suite at the Dolphin, thus saving $600; (2) bought and linked tickets from an authorized reseller, but also upgraded them to parkhoppers, spending $200 more than the original base tickets purchased from Disney; (3) switched our JetBlue flights from our nearest airport, on flights that I discovered have literally never once left on time and are often as much as 3-6 hours delayed, to flights out of an airport slightly further away but with a much better track record, in the process "saving" $400 worth of JetBlue points that came back to my account because the new JetBlue flights were significantly cheaper; and then (4) changed around all of our ground transportation bookings and hotel arrival estimates to accommodate these new plans. All our messing around with the plans did end up netting a cost savings of~ $400 and a "JetBlue points savings" of an additional $400 in value, so it was definitely worth it, but I'm very relieved, after having started to plan and book this vacation at the end of December 2020, to be able to pronounce our present plans "final."

Now that the planning, more planning, and then re-planning are all finished, I'm trying to stay laser-focused on my actual day job and family, because otherwise all I'd do is sit around day-dreaming about our upcoming trip!
Sounds exhausting.

I am kinda bummed about going in summer just because there is no point in planning cute outfits. 😂. On winter trips I like to bound as fun characters, but this trip is going to be all functional clothes. I’m not worried about the heat. It’s pretty similar to E TN summers….but I don’t usually spend 10 hours outside at home. So, moisture wicking and minimal layers!

I also love to do laundry. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to decide what kind of laundry detergent to pack. I used little packets of Woolite last trip but I’m out. I’m certain this means I’m crazy, but I’m ok with that. I pack just a carry on so I typically have to wash everything once on the trip.

Has anyone been to the groceries near WDW? I need to go for water, sunscreen, Gatorade packets, etc when I get there and I’m not sure if any particular store is better stocked than another….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter