*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

I do NOT like that they put up the fall/halloween stuff so early. Seriously.........8/25 for the first Halloween party?!?! That is terrible, I still just want to see flip flops and surfboards, not jack o lanterns. I am so glad our last park day is 8/24 so I don't have to see any of the fall stuff (hopefully)

So totally agree. 8/25 is our last park day - selfishly, I'm disappointed. While I'm happy for those who are excited about it, I just think it's too early. But, we're going to WDW!

I do NOT like that they put up the fall/halloween stuff so early. Seriously.........8/25 for the first Halloween party?!?! That is terrible, I still just want to see flip flops and surfboards, not jack o lanterns. I am so glad our last park day is 8/24 so I don't have to see any of the fall stuff (hopefully)

I don't know. Believe me I am a summer girl and never really look forward to fall. On the flip side our last park day is August 25 and I am happy we are going to get to see MK with decorations. I have heard such great things and seen the pics. I don't know that coming later in the fall would ever really be an option for us. So at least I get to see it once!

On another note.... paid off our vacation yesterday! Excitement is growing!

As much as I love all the fall decor down there (my favorite season in general and my favorite season to visit) it's very weird having it up when it's 100 degrees outside. We did MNSSHP a few years ago on Labor Day. Previously we'd done it in Oct. and while it as still on the warmer side it "felt" fall-ish. That Labor Day one felt completely out place. I'd do it again (and we were supposed to before we had to change our dates to early Aug) but yeah, something about it just isn't right!

Really, I went in July and in end of september for the Halloween party and the difference in temperature was not extreme. It was freaking hot both time lol! But I get it at least it's fall where I come from at that point!

My plan is to move to the Orlando area after the son has graduated, and work for Disney. I'm tired of the cold winters here in NY, ready for a change of pace :)

You sound exactly like my DH :laughing: We're in the Hudson Valley- Dutchess County NY. He is adamant that we're moving to Florida when our youngest graduates, but he's got a bit longer than you do to wait as our youngest is only going into 6th grade. We have 4 boys - 28, 26 (my stepsons), 15 and 11. He's done with the NY winters and plans to drive a Friendship Boat between Epcot and HS :sail:

You sound exactly like my DH :laughing: We're in the Hudson Valley- Dutchess County NY. He is adamant that we're moving to Florida when our youngest graduates, but he's got a bit longer than you do to wait as our youngest is only going into 6th grade. We have 4 boys - 28, 26 (my stepsons), 15 and 11. He's done with the NY winters and plans to drive a Friendship Boat between Epcot and HS :sail:
Holy heck it is a small world! I am in the Hudson Valley, a little South of you, in Putnam County NY. I've just got the two kids, my daughter is 22, and my son 13, both with birthdays coming up this fall.

Would you believe me if I told you that the job I dream of is driving one of the boats between Disney Springs, and Port Orleans. That is just too funny!

Holy heck it is a small world! I am in the Hudson Valley, a little South of you, in Putnam County NY. I've just got the two kids, my daughter is 22, and my son 13, both with birthdays coming up this fall.

Would you believe me if I told you that the job I dream of is driving one of the boats between Disney Springs, and Port Orleans. That is just too funny!

Well it IS a Small World After All!!! You're the second person I've come across here that's not so far away :) We go to Brewster fairly often (without traffic about 35 minutes) as my 15 year old plays basketball at the sports complex there in the fall and spring. In fact he just finished the season last Saturday with a championship win :thumbsup2

When we do move down I'll have to have my husband contact you to get him "in" to the boat driving system since you'll be there first! Every time we get on one of those boats he says how relaxing he thinks that job would be. And that many of the captains appear to be retirees so it'll suit him just fine!

Tomh and Ariane37 - you are on the same wavelength I'm on! DH thinks I'm crazy, but I've been saying for years that I'm going to move to Orlando when the kids graduate. Although I'm hoping to be the person at Small World saying "keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times, Have a magical day!" :)
Of course, I have much longer to wait than the two of you... so you'll have to save me a spot. ;)

I have a little different plan. My son has 4 more years in school, daughter is already a college kid, and nearly finished. My plan is to move to the Orlando area after the son has graduated, and work for Disney. I'm tired of the cold winters here in NY, ready for a change of pace :)
That's a better plan for sure. Lol. My youngest is only 12, so once a year trips will have to do for now. However, I like how your brain works. Moving to Orlando and working at Disney would be amazing.

Well it IS a Small World After All!!! You're the second person I've come across here that's not so far away :) We go to Brewster fairly often (without traffic about 35 minutes) as my 15 year old plays basketball at the sports complex there in the fall and spring. In fact he just finished the season last Saturday with a championship win :thumbsup2

When we do move down I'll have to have my husband contact you to get him "in" to the boat driving system since you'll be there first! Every time we get on one of those boats he says how relaxing he thinks that job would be. And that many of the captains appear to be retirees so it'll suit him just fine!

We are on the other side of the county from Brewster, in Phillipstown.

A few years back, we had a boat captain on the ride to Disney Springs, who was in his late 70's. He told me he had taken the job when he first retired, and wanted a little extra pocket money. He said to be honest, he only needed that extra money for a couple of years, but enjoyed the job so much that he just kept doing it. I drive for a living now, and enjoy it enough. I first thought of becoming a bus driver, but I'm not a big fan of how they have to prod people to pack into the bus like sardines, and it seems that they are on a pretty tight schedule, and have to push it some. The boat captains don't have to pack people into the boat, they only take as many as can sit, and it seems like a much more relaxed environment, plus less traffic on the water, so fewer opportunities for accidents, and there are fewer water routes, so not as much to learn and remember.

Tomh and Ariane37 - you are on the same wavelength I'm on! DH thinks I'm crazy, but I've been saying for years that I'm going to move to Orlando when the kids graduate. Although I'm hoping to be the person at Small World saying "keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times, Have a magical day!" :)
Of course, I have much longer to wait than the two of you... so you'll have to save me a spot. ;)

It just makes sense to me. I've been watching job listings at Disney. The pay isn't fantastic, but it isn't bad. I think between the wife and I, we can make enough money there to get by with no problem. We won't have the expense of tickets to get into the parks, cost of living overall is lower in FL than it is in NY. Summer there is pretty hot, but the winter there is nowhere near as bad as the winter here, so fair trade on that, and no snow shoveling. Property values there right now are significantly lower than in NY. It is almost a no brainer to me.

So totally agree. 8/25 is our last park day - selfishly, I'm disappointed. While I'm happy for those who are excited about it, I just think it's too early. But, we're going to WDW!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the last time I was in Disney World that close to the first party, I for sure saw Halloween decorations up around the park. I want to say that they start creeping in a couple of days before the first party, though I don't recall for certain exactly how far ahead of it, but I know it was at least a day or two before.

Day 1 of 6 -- booking off site FP at 30 days out.

Today was Epcot! Got everything we wanted for our party of 6!!! Frozen Ever After / Spaceship Earth / Figment!

Bummed that I couldn't get Mission Space! Looks like that refurb is being extended. My kids will be disappointed -- I don't ride it! :scared:

Tomorrow is Hollywood Studios! Wish me luck!

Hello all,

We have had to do a major change in our plans which means I will have a few "groups of 4" FP for FOP I will have to cancel. I would like to give someone the opportunity to grab them, but wanting to know the best way of doing that. Friday, Aug 11, and Tuesday Aug. 15th for sure. Maybe the 10th and 16th as well. Any ideas?

7 weeks from right now, I'll be on a flight!

Paid off everything today. Trip, Memory Maker and the 8/25 MNSSHP are all done. Now we have to have the "how much spending money do we take in gift cards" conversation.

The best part? The girls have NO IDEA we're staying at the Poly (we told them POFQ). We're doing ASMovies for a night, and we had a Kona reservation for the 24th anyway, so we have an excuse to go there after we hit DS. My DD 15 DID say that one time she'd like it if we surprised her with where we were going, but she meant Disneyland as opposed to WDW, not really the resort at WDW.

This is more fun than keeping the entire trip secret, which we were going to do. They would've caught on to that... but are clueless here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter