Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

I can’t be the only person who is scrambling to find a pair of old school, wired headphones.:headache:

wondering if the last generation wired ones that came with iphone would work with whatever technology they will use.

never had an issue hearing the guide’s live commentary in the past. If it’s an accessibility thing, then all for it:thumbsup2as an enhancement.

However, if they are possibly switching over to a pre-recorded spiel, without the guide being able to answer questions or provide any personalized input, not going to be a happy haunter.
No idea what they are doing of course but we have done a tour where we wore headphones and the only purpose was to hear the guide. I am pretty sure it was the Backstage Magic tour, but it’s been few years and I may not remember correctly. It didn’t impact us asking questions, it was only so we could hear the guide well since there is often a lot of background noise

It‘s entirely possible they’ve had complaints that people couldn’t hear the guide well on the tour and this is in response to that.

We will be going in a few weeks. This is our first time to Universal. It will either be me or my husband and our 16 year old (someone has to stay with the 8 year old at the hotel😩). Any tips/tricks for newbies? We will have day tickets as well so will be in the park when it opens. I know nothing about horror nights and want to make the most of our time. We will not have express passes and won't be able to stay until 2:00 am because we have a long drive back the next day.

Around what time do wait times typically peak? I've got no basis for comparison, but it seems like the waits for the houses are not all that bad for opening night??

We will be going in a few weeks. This is our first time to Universal. It will either be me or my husband and our 16 year old (someone has to stay with the 8 year old at the hotel😩). Any tips/tricks for newbies? We will have day tickets as well so will be in the park when it opens. I know nothing about horror nights and want to make the most of our time. We will not have express passes and won't be able to stay until 2:00 am because we have a long drive back the next day.
You’ll be doing all day in the park plus HHN that night?
That the only choice you have?
One thing to know about HHN is you walk twice as much during HHN as you do doing an entire day of rides at the theme parks. Getting in and out of the houses is a lot of walking. Plus getting to each of the houses.
I’m afraid you’ll be too worn out to get any enjoyment out of HHN.
You almost definitely want Express pass if you want to get in most of the houses. If you know you’ll be leaving early there’s about no way you’ll get in all the houses but you can do several with EP.
Try to get in the show so you can relax and sit for a bit if nothing else.

You’ll be doing all day in the park plus HHN that night?
That the only choice you have?
One thing to know about HHN is you walk twice as much during HHN as you do doing an entire day of rides at the theme parks. Getting in and out of the houses is a lot of walking. Plus getting to each of the houses.
I’m afraid you’ll be too worn out to get any enjoyment out of HHN.
You almost definitely want Express pass if you want to get in most of the houses. If you know you’ll be leaving early there’s about no way you’ll get in all the houses but you can do several with EP.
Try to get in the show so you can relax and sit for a bit if nothing else.
Yes, that's the only choice. We only have 2 days and are driving from NC. Trying to make the most of a long weekend.

Yes, that's the only choice. We only have 2 days and are driving from NC. Trying to make the most of a long weekend.
Make sure the 2 HHNers take a solid 2hr+ afternoon break. Preferably at the hotel, or at least linger at a late lunch off their feet, a movie, etc. As much of an actual rest as they can manage. Going into HHN tired is not ideal, but better than missing out entirely. Like @Mrs.AMC said, also hit up the shows for a mid-HHN rest.

Express passes, as mentioned by @Mrs.AMC will help, but they’re pricey. Alternately, the RIP tour is even pricier, but it’s a guarantee of doing all the houses because there is no waiting at all. It’s less walking because they take you right to the front, and you don’t have to do the whole queue and back/exit queue. It also includes dinner. No idea about your budget, but if you have the funds, it’s the prime experience.

If your budget only allows for the ticket itself, be in the park early for stay and scream, which will give you a 1-2 house advantage over the entering crowd. Since you have day tickets, that shouldn’t be a problem. You’re there on a weekend, so expect large crowds, and go in with your priority experiences, and the mindset that you’re there to enjoy the night, not do everything. If you go in with realistic expectations, you’ll be able to slow down and enjoy the scare zones or maybe watch a show or hop on a ride. My kids have each identified 2-3 things as their “must-dos” for the trip, and while we will try for as much as we can, my goal is “don’t be miserable,” because I’ve found that if we push too hard people get tired and cranky and it stops being fun.

One thing you may want to consider is a midday rest. Rope drop and do a bunch of stuff early, then go back to the hotel around lunch time and just chill for a bit. Take a nap if you can or otherwise just rest on and play on your phone. On a short trip, it can feel like time “wasted,” but it will pay off at night. If you really don’t want to leave the park, plan to be in Studios on your HHN day, and spend the afternoon watching the shows. You’ll be in air conditioning for Bourne and Horror Makeup show, and, most importantly, off your feet. HHN is way more walking than you think, so save your tootsies.
Edit: looks like @CAPSLOCK was advising the same thing while I was typing my novel. I know we’re just internet strangers, but when everyone says the same thing, it’s probably solid advice.

Understood.
@ClapYourHands suggested the RIP tour. If there is any way you can do that’s the way to go when it’s tacked in to a park day and you don’t have the full night.
Other than that and the additional info above I suggest whoever goes to HHN is not the driver going home. They’ll be worn out. Lol

But the number one choice is a break about lunch that day. Will you have EP during the day?

We're kinda doing something similar, and do not currently plan on express or RIP. we'll have 1, maybe 2 park days. But we've also been to Universal a few times this year, so we know what all we want to ride/skip, etc. We plan to arrive at Sapphire falls early Sunday AM, between 7AM-8AM, checkin, doubtful room is ready, go to IoA to hit up Velocicoaster and whatever else. Prioritize the rides/attractions, etc you want to do in the parks.
Hoping room ready by mid afternoon, because after lunch, we will for sure need a place to sit, cool off, rest,charge phones, etc. before going back around 4-4:30 for Scream early.
HHN is double to triple the walking one does in the regular parks, plus the standing in line. Some houses are way off the beaten path. I plan to stay out as late as possible, so maybe 2AM. Prioritize! We know we'll be skipping the shows, and will be making a list of the must do houses/food, so likely won't get to all 10 houses, but hopeful. It's do-able in 1 day, but it will be a very long and exhausting day. we plan to sleep as late as possible the next day. If you're just getting a feel for the event, scare zones, and only want a few houses, that should be do-able.

No idea what they are doing of course but we have done a tour where we wore headphones and the only purpose was to hear the guide. I am pretty sure it was the Backstage Magic tour, but it’s been few years and I may not remember correctly. It didn’t impact us asking questions, it was only so we could hear the guide well since there is often a lot of background noise

It‘s entirely possible they’ve had complaints that people couldn’t hear the guide well on the tour and this is in response to that.
Never been on this particular tour, but can definitely say I've been on quite a few group walking tours and I've been very frustrated to miss too much of the interesting commentary because I couldn't always stick literally right next to the guide - others would be there or I'd be a few people back and couldn't hear. Lots of times the guide would say something to the folks near them, but not repeat for the benefit of others. So earphones are a pain for a long tour, but I can also see real benefits.

Reporting in from opening night - another great event this year and glad to see it back to form (even if busy as ever). A few hiccups in how things were running, but it’s opening weekend and they’ll work through those. Overall though a solid show for HHN 31. A few general observations (no spoilers):

-Typical year where there are a few strong houses, a few weaker ones and most in the middle. No duds - but a couple that didn’t live up to their potential. Two others that “overachieved” after some low expectations. There’s one house though that I expect to make the “all time” list of great houses.
-Very glad for the return of SIF!! It was put to good use in most of the houses - and a few that really use it to amp up the tension and scares.
-Scarezones are solid - one of the better collections in awhile. Three of them are very strong and they were all well staffed with SAs whenever we walked through. As always, much better to wander the SZs after dark and the fog is thick.
-Booth lines are as long as ever, but lots of interesting options
-Choke points are as crowded as ever. Some traffic jams in exit queues where they used narrow barrier paths. Bonus points though for that ramp outside the back of park sprung tents - no rain last night but it’ll be nice not stepping in puddles.
-Some longer walks this year where they redid some of the entrance queues. Harder to asses lines where they continue to put (even more) switchbacks backstage and you can’t see them. They’re still figuring out how to post times based on the queues. Some might be shorter - or a lot longer - than what’s posted.
-Express waits were on the longer side - I’ll chalk it up to opening weekend, but a few were a solid 20-30 minute wait. Still - much better than the standby lines which were running around 60 minutes or so most of the evening. Seemed that the pulsing for express was keeping to the “half the standby time” rule of thumb - but also overheard some TMs trying to clear Express when it was getting backed up.
-Great use of Fast & Furious this year and worked well for the event. More space than the sprung tents - and each of the movies featured was close to a full length house in their own right. You could argue there’s 11 houses this year - with Blumhouse being a “double feature”. If you’ve done Blumhouse houses in the past (and aware of the awkward mash-up feel), you may be surprised with how this one is so well handled. You think you’re almost done - and then realize you’re only halfway there.
-Chainsaw gangs wandering everywhere it seemed.
-Going to very hard to do everything in one night this year - there’s just a lot more to see and experience beyond the houses. We did all ten houses (with Express), wandered the SZs and had a couple of short breaks - no rides or shows - and that took a solid 5 hours.

Looking forward to some second walkthroughs and going back the next couple of nights!

Understood.
@ClapYourHands suggested the RIP tour. If there is any way you can do that’s the way to go when it’s tacked in to a park day and you don’t have the full night.
Other than that and the additional info above I suggest whoever goes to HHN is not the driver going home. They’ll be worn out. Lol

But the number one choice is a break about lunch that day. Will you have EP during the day?
Yes, we do have express pass during the day.

If headphones are required for UMH Tour those with smaller earphones or headphones you can buy larger Universal plug adapters to use your smaller devices.

Last edited:
Around what time do wait times typically peak? I've got no basis for comparison, but it seems like the waits for the houses are not all that bad for opening night??
It was a sell out

Thrill data website list wait times for WDW & U including hhn (still Last year’s data)

My take, if it’s really busy before 8 pm, it’s going to make for a very long night

Heavy rain does seem to lessen crowds, locals I’m guessing take a pass
can definitely say I've been on quite a few group walking tours and I've been very frustrated to miss too much of the interesting commentary because I couldn't always stick literally right next to the guide
Thankfully, I’ve not experienced that issue on outdoor or indoor tours. the guides have always stopped, turned around and made sure all could hear their comments :thumbsup2

Any optional enhancement as to their live commentary is a good idea IMO. Just not accepting of any ‘pretaped spiel’ vs the live touch tho. If it is a mandated thing, should’ve been clearly stated & put in place before ticket sales commenced

Hoping to hear positive reviews next week that is is something about nothing
Chainsaw gangs wandering everywhere it seemed.
:banana:Chainsaw wolves!
Typical year where there are a few strong houses, a few weaker ones and most in the middle. No duds - but a couple that didn’t live up to their potential. Two others that “overachieved” after some low expectations. There’s one house though that I expect to make the “all time” list of great houses.
:bored:And…

Lol

We 110% welcome opinions of the houses here.

If anyone is going to delve into deep specifics, please post a “SPOILER ALERT” before diving in the deep end

Here now and doing HHN for the first time tomorrow. I know we only have 1 night’s data, but any suggested strategies on where to start this year for stay and scream (and with EP) would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been following and know that some areas are better than others to maximize time. I’m also considering the strategy of not using the EP on the first house or two so we can maybe do them twice. Thanks!

It was a sell out

Thrill data website list wait times for WDW & U including hhn (still Last year’s data)

My take, if it’s really busy before 8 pm, it’s going to make for a very long night

Heavy rain does seem to lessen crowds, locals I’m guessing take a pass

Thankfully, I’ve not experienced that issue on outdoor or indoor tours. the guides have always stopped, turned around and made sure all could hear their comments :thumbsup2

Any optional enhancement as to their live commentary is a good idea IMO. Just not accepting of any ‘pretaped spiel’ vs the live touch tho. If it is a mandated thing, should’ve been clearly stated & put in place before ticket sales commenced

Hoping to hear positive reviews next week that is is something about nothing

:banana:Chainsaw wolves!

:bored:And…

Lol

We 110% welcome opinions of the houses here.

If anyone is going to delve into deep specifics, please post a “SPOILER ALERT” before diving in the deep end
Or use the spoiler tag if you can. Pretty please, with sugar on top :)
like this is posted here

but any suggested strategies on where to start this year for stay and scream (and with EP) would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been following and know that some areas are better than others to maximize time.
Unconfirmed, did read holding pen near BMG is for resort guests only

All depends on which houses are open earliest & where they rank on ur to-do list

Yes, holding those EP entitlements is often wise if u r doing a whole night. My personal threshold would be doing stand by of 30 min or less

Please come back and share your experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter