• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

Is there any benefit of staying on property at Universal the night of Halloween Horror Nights? Just for a single night stay? I have Sunday tickets / Express Pass (for October 16th). I was looking at staying on property, but the benefit (for the day, early entry in the morning) doesn't help me at all without a day ticket. I would like to walk to our hotel after the night (which I know will be long), but can save a decent about of $$$ and stay at the Hyatt House right across the street.
For us yes, it's over very late and we want the fastest travel to a bed we can have.
Other than that, you have no HHN benefit with an on site stay that I know of. MAYBE (emphasis on purpose) a separate entry point?

Is there any benefit of staying on property at Universal the night of Halloween Horror Nights? Just for a single night stay? I have Sunday tickets / Express Pass (for October 16th). I was looking at staying on property, but the benefit (for the day, early entry in the morning) doesn't help me at all without a day ticket. I would like to walk to our hotel after the night (which I know will be long), but can save a decent about of $$$ and stay at the Hyatt House right across the street.
I just want to have a way to get back to a close room, no driving. If we do HHN in Oct, we already have our stay booked at Boardwalk, but I don't want to be driving back there at 2AM, so looking for a cheap place to crash at Universal, likely will do Endless summer, one or two nights.

This will be my first time. I don't really like haunted houses either but I love halloween so I'm gonna try and suck it up lol. I'll try some of your suggestions-focus on little details instead of who's gonna jump out and scare the crap out of me 👿
Same for this first timer! I am taking 14 and 16 yo boys who really want to go, so I am sucking it up. I'll do one or two and if it is too much, I will just let them do it alone! lol

First timer question about the holding areas. We are going the Sunday of the first weekend (Labor Day weekend) and I bought EPs. We will be in the park that day so I figured we might as well do a holding area, but I know we will need to eat before starting the houses. If I understand correctly, we could wait in the Simpsons holding area, grab dinner at that food court, and then be ready to go. Correct?

IMO, no. Not going to be a good plan to try to hit both parks in one day when they are essentially new to you, then expect to have any energy left to get anything meaningful done at HHN that night. Unless your finances are such that HHN tickets for 7 are worth it for maybe a few hours / a few houses. I usually am a rope drop to close person w/ a solid lunch break, and no way I could make open til HHN close enjoyably.
agree that both parks + HHN is a recipe for family revolt-if they can muster the energy. Otherwise be prepared for meltdowns, temper tantrums, bad moods-and the kids will be worse.
Depends on where you stay, if you plan to drive, when you plan to leave. If possible stay in resort with boat service or Aventura or CB where you can boat to SF then walk across street to resort. Although I do love the space of Hyatt House! Just know a long walk at that time of night will hurt, or longer wait for Uber, or will have to pay for parking at HHN
I just want to have a way to get back to a close room, no driving. If we do HHN in Oct, we already have our stay booked at Boardwalk, but I don't want to be driving back there at 2AM, so looking for a cheap place to crash at Universal, likely will do Endless summer, one or two nights.
Know that Endless summer is bus only-bus stop is a longer walk than the boat adjacent resorts (but not as long as parking garage or Uber spot). It hurts walking up that incline at night lol! Endless summer resorts look so cute!

agree that both parks + HHN is a recipe for family revolt-if they can muster the energy. Otherwise be prepared for meltdowns, temper tantrums, bad moods-and the kids will be worse.

Depends on where you stay, if you plan to drive, when you plan to leave. If possible stay in resort with boat service or Aventura or CB where you can boat to SF then walk across street to resort. Although I do love the space of Hyatt House! Just know a long walk at that time of night will hurt, or longer wait for Uber, or will have to pay for parking at HHN

Know that Endless summer is bus only-bus stop is a longer walk than the boat adjacent resorts (but not as long as parking garage or Uber spot). It hurts walking up that incline at night lol! Endless summer resorts look so cute!
The walking can't be emphasized enough. There is so much walking at HHN. Those houses, the treks to the houses. Then back out to another house. It's more than most park days. Even getting back to Hard Rock is a struggle.

For us yes, it's over very late and we want the fastest travel to a bed we can have.
Other than that, you have no HHN benefit with an on site stay that I know of. MAYBE (emphasis on purpose) a separate entry point?
If you don’t have stay and scream or a day ticket the day of HHN there is a special entry line for resort guests that has a much better holding area than the rest of the folks in front of the main entrance. We found it because we got to the parks after they had closed for day entry. Resort line was over to the left and a little hard to find, so ask if you don’t see it. It’s there & the team members will help you find it.

If you don’t have stay and scream or a day ticket the day of HHN there is a special entry line for resort guests that has a much better holding area than the rest of the folks in front of the main entrance. We found it because we got to the parks after they had closed for day entry. Resort line was over to the left and a little hard to find, so ask if you don’t see it. It’s there & the team members will help you find it.
Thanks. I had an inkling somewhere in the back of my memory that this existed. We've always been in the park already and never used it so I wasn't 100% certain about it. And heaven knows I don't rely on my memory for anything these days :)

I always stay offsite across the street and use the savings on food, drink, express pass, etc. It's nice to stay onsite, but imo, really not that big a deal if you're just doing HHN and are staying so close, you can just walk back to your room. They have a great pedestrian overpass now that makes it super safe.

BUT it's a personal decision: most do get too tired to walk at the end of the night and then you're stuck paying premium Uber rates. And of course, as others mentioned, the resort-only entrance may make it worth the extra money.

My legs were never all that tired after HHN that it bothered me to walk back offsite. And I'm usally doing Stay & Scream beforehand so the dedicated entrance wasn't a benefit.

Last edited:
I might have asked this before but I can't seem to find it. We stayed at surfside inn and suites in June and liked it and decided to stay there for HHN . Now my question is since we are going 2 maybe 3 nights will they have FF passes, AND/OR can I get in the park just a little earlier to stay in the holding area? Don't want to spend more money on day tickets if I don't have to.

I might have asked this before but I can't seem to find it. We stayed at surfside inn and suites in June and liked it and decided to stay there for HHN . Now my question is since we are going 2 maybe 3 nights will they have FF passes, AND/OR can I get in the park just a little earlier to stay in the holding area? Don't want to spend more money on day tickets if I don't have to.
Does FF come with the Stay and Scream? I hadn't recalled seeing that it did but I haven't used it myself. If so, then you can. If no, then no you can't.
It does take either AP, Day tickets or Stay and Scream to access the park prior to HHN as far as I understand

Okay, we have seasonal passes, HHN tickets and an RIP tour booked. Is this the equivalent of a “stay and scream” ticket because we plan to stay in the park that day.

A few quick questions.

1.) When should we plan to arrive at HHN for the event? It opens at 6:30pm? We are NOT staying on property and are NOT planning on paying for early entry. When should we line up? We are going on a Sunday (October 16th). We DO have express passes.

2.) We want to eat dinner at CityWalk. I know this gets busy (or it was last year when we attended HHN on a Saturday in early October). Any recommendations for a dinner spot at CityWalk where we can make reservations? We were thinking around 4pm... and then walk over to the HHN gate? We want a meal... but we also plan to eat some bites (at the stands) at HHN.

3.) We want to eat lunch (around 11am) the next "morning" at CityWalk. Any recommendations for a spot for lunch before heading out to catch a flight? We will have 1-1.5 hours for lunch.

4.) I know HHN will be a late night. Any idea when the "official" hours will be announced?

really not that big a deal if you're just doing HHN and are staying so close, you can just walk back to your room. They have a great pedestrian overpass now that makes it super safe.
i’ve seen so many doing this when coming back from dinner offsite at millers. If I had enough life left in me at end of night would give it a whirl.
When should we plan to arrive at HHN for the event? It opens at 6:30pm? We are NOT staying on property and are NOT planning on paying for early entry. When should we line up? We are going on a Sunday (October 16th). We DO have express passes.
Ive seen people sitting at the gate as early as 3 pm.

you cannot underestimate the sea of humanity, even on the weekends.

I really wish Universal would release this info sooner - I'm on the fence about going this year, and for how long and when.
Knowing the ticket options would really help and knowing the houses would also help.
I know its the same every year - but its really frustrating - trying to book flight and hotels - its not that far away now.
For the most part - you don't need to plan at Universal and that is why I like it - but HHN is different and expensive

I really wish Universal would release this info sooner - I'm on the fence about going this year, and for how long and when.
Knowing the ticket options would really help and knowing the houses would also help.
I know its the same every year - but its really frustrating - trying to book flight and hotels - its not that far away now.
For the most part - you don't need to plan at Universal and that is why I like it - but HHN is different and expensive
I completely agree. We know we are going, but not how many HHN nights because of the lack of information. We don’t want to purchase single nights unless the multi night options don’t make sense based on price. I have a back up Toothsome reservation for our first night because we arrive too late for regular park stuff to be an option, but HHN would work. I wouldn’t do a single night ticket for that night because we couldn’t be there when it starts…. I don’t know why Universal waits so long, they know what their plans are. If I knew what their plans were they would get my money faster.

Not only do they know the houses they've been working on them for months!
They aren't even in doubt at this point. They are set in stone and half way, if not all the way, constructed.
So yeah, release the houses already. Enough is enough.
And we allllllll know there is going to be a Stranger Things house. I mean, what better year is there than a year when they actually have a real live haunted house in the show? If there isn't, then they are missing the best opportunity of all the seasons yet.

Will be there regardless of whatever houses, its all about the FF pass or potential lack Thereof that has me with concerns

Already bought single day tix for family. If no FF offered, DH & I will just have to suck it up at this point as we are committed (maybe we should be jumping thru these hoops:rolleyes1)

Just don’t think HHN Orlando is running effective social media accounts.

I realize U owes fans nothing but a stellar event. However, my very personal take is there’s a dismissive attitude in play that is somewhat disrespectful this go-round. Especially, to their out of town fan base’s need for basic information to get travel plans in place. This well is beyond any of the reasonable Covid considerations as in the past two years

There’s strategically building anticipation, then there’s stringing people along. They are missing the engaging vibe they’ve had going for years. Not cool HHN. You may be doing irreversible harm to Your brand. Get it together, please

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter