Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

Ok, I think I see what you're saying. With the option of 4 daytime tickets, but using one on Thursday just to get in early, then I think I would opt to not get 4 daytime (3 day instead) and use the savings to go towards upgrading from a single night of HHN to the Rush of Fear (historically it would cover your Thur, Fri, Sat, and Sun nights).

The first night you could wait until the initial crowds get in (unless you don't mind waiting at the gate for opening) and see a few houses and/or shows and go through the scare zones. Could even ride some rides. Then on the Fri, Sat, Sun nights, you could use the daytime Park-to-Park tickets to be in Studios before closing for stay and scream (or again just come in after the initial rush of opening crowd). You'll be able to get more done those nights, and should be able to cover everything spreading the 10 houses and 2 shows across all nights. It would be a little more expensive (hopefully not too much), but would definitely give you more time at HHN (and remember you can ride the open rides too).

I do have a question, and you might already know the answer. We've never been to Volcano Bay. Is it included in the park-to-park tickets? I know the Annual Passes are more expensive if it includes VB. Might want to consider single park daytime tickets to save some money. Of course, if Hogwarts Express (or you generally park hop) is a high priority, then the park to park is more important. Just a possible consideration.

I agree, I wish they would hurry up and release the Frequent Fear and Rush of Fear tickets, so we could figure this all out. As for pricing, I expect RoF and FF to be $20-ish more dollars than last year. I think RoF was about $130 (without express) last year, so (my total guess) would be about $150 this year.

Anyway, I hope I have helped some and not made it more confusing. It'll definitely be easier to figure out when the rest of the HHN tickets are released.

One last thing, when you are about to buy tickets, check to see if they have a bonus buy on daytime tickets (e.g. Buy 2 days get a 3rd free or Buy 3 days get a 4th free - and be absolutely sure to read the fine print to make sure they are valid on your dates). One more additional last thing, if you think you might want to revisit USO within 12 months, the Seasonal Pass might be worth it. Just another consideration when everything is available to lay out and see what's best.

Hey, we were total HHN newbies last year. First time going. Definitely made a few mistakes.
We ate at toothsome's , done around 3PM, but didn't eat super filling meals. We were all hungry by later in the night. Also took more time than expected to get back to Portofino, rest a bit, get ready, charge phones etc. Made it to stay/scream about 30 mins before park close, and got in the line.
Later, Ended up wasting too much time ordering inside/sitting down to eat at Louie's. Pizza was surprisingly good, but I went for the pizza fries., which were delicious! If we do get to HHN this year, will try mobile order instead, and eat more quickly.
Prepare for more walking that you can imagine! I expected tons of walking around the parks, but didn't really comprehend that several houses are backstage, in the production areas, well off the beaten path.
we did stay/scream, and it worked out really well. got 3-4 houses done very quickly, although wasn't able to do 2 of the biggies in a row, like we'd hoped. Never got to Beetlejuice. Then we lost momentum.. Also turned out to be a very busy night. Our 5th house, Texas Chainsaw, had a posted 90 min wait, we waited 60. We skipped the shows, none of us were interested. Ended up doing 8 houses, left at 1AM (kids were tired! I couldn't stayed longer.) I think we could've gotten the last 2 in, if we'd stayed until 2. Also wasted some time because kids wanted to ride Rip Ride Rocket. line was long, but I enjoyed a few adult beverages, so all good.
If we do this year, will just be 1 night again, likely beginning of Disney trip, Columbus day weekend. blah. Super busy time for sure. . If there's any chance we could manage 2 nights, and/or express, I totally would. I wanted to repeat a couple houses, and no time .
Had an awesome first HHN though. So much great advice on these Universal threads. Happy planning!!!

Thanks for the feedback on your experience, it definitely helps new HHN folks. You are absolutely right about the steps involved. Those backstage loops really add up. That is a hidden advantage of the RIP tours, since they can go straight from exit to entrance without looping around. So many steps saved, but at a cost.

My family - 7 of us - will likely be trying HHN for the first time this year. We only have one day for Universal and HHN - the rest of our trip is already booked doing other things. We plan on getting one day two park tickets for the day, then HHN tickets for that night. So I have a few questions.

If we stay in a Universal Resort for one night, will we get express passes for both our two-park passes and our HHN tickets because we are staying in the resort, or would we have to pay for the express passes for one or both?

Is it possible/reasonable to squeeze in all of this in a single day/night? We don't expect to do everything, but I have not been to Universal in 25+ years and have no idea what to expect.

Thoughts?

Buckeye, if you stay in the 3, RPR, HR and PBH, yes, free unlimited express for all from time you check in, until park close the next day, including parking, while also an additional charge, you would only be billed for one night parking, as long as car out by midnight. Do know they also charge for adults over 2 in a standard room, and may be limit on how many are in a room. If you are in any of the other hotels, no included express. Also, your room express is not good at HHN nor VB. Both are an additional charge for all. And like all expenses for sale, prices do change, and are not refundable. hth

Buckeye, if you stay in the 3, RPR, HR and PBH, yes, free unlimited express for all from time you check in, until park close the next day, including parking, while also an additional charge, you would only be billed for one night parking, as long as car out by midnight. Do know they also charge for adults over 2 in a standard room, and may be limit on how many are in a room. If you are in any of the other hotels, no included express. Also, your room express is not good at HHN nor VB. Both are an additional charge for all. And like all expenses for sale, prices do change, and are not refundable. hth
Thank you - this is exactly what I wanted to know.

You would need to book one of the high end suites for a group of 7

exception might be if a child up to age 2 or 3 might not be counted as in the room and suites for a party of 6 is cheaper than the high end suites

check out the hotel you are interested in and see what listing they have for a large family

there are suites in some of the other hotels categories that allows more bed space

You would need to book one of the high end suites for a group of 7

exception might be if a child up to age 2 or 3 might not be counted as in the room and suites for a party of 6 is cheaper than the high end suites

check out the hotel you are interested in and see what listing they have for a large family

there are suites in some of the other hotels categories that allows more bed space
Thanks - we plan to book 2 separate rooms. Need 2 bathrooms.

Another first timer question - We will buy the Express Pass for HHN. In mid-September, are we going to be able to hit everything in one night with the Express Pass? Also, which Houses should we hit first because they are the most popular? I have no idea what to prioritize because I have never done this before and am hoping you guys can help. This is an all adult group ranging from 22-57 in age. We are all adventurous.

there are rumors out but little official info on the house lists

mid september should be a fine time to go without huge crowds

Having the express pass can be to your advantage
It is a one time use with the hhn ticket

use the ep when lines are long and when lines become lighter, use the regular lines for repeating the same house

most likely in mid september house lines will have line waits on Friday and Saturday (and possibly Sunday )

It really is a bit early to predict if Sunday will have high crowds

You can get an idea by how crowded the park will be based on if the onsite hotels are sold out for your dates .

My family - 7 of us - will likely be trying HHN for the first time this year. We only have one day for Universal and HHN - the rest of our trip is already booked doing other things. We plan on getting one day two park tickets for the day, then HHN tickets for that night.

Is it possible/reasonable to squeeze in all of this in a single day/night? We don't expect to do everything, but I have not been to Universal in 25+ years and have no idea what to expect.
IMO, no. Not going to be a good plan to try to hit both parks in one day when they are essentially new to you, then expect to have any energy left to get anything meaningful done at HHN that night. Unless your finances are such that HHN tickets for 7 are worth it for maybe a few hours / a few houses. I usually am a rope drop to close person w/ a solid lunch break, and no way I could make open til HHN close enjoyably.

Last edited:
We've never been to Volcano Bay. Is it included in the park-to-park tickets? I know the Annual Passes are more expensive if it includes VB.
You'll need 3 park tickets to include VB. The 2 park tickets exclude it. If you are doing APs, and only plan to visit VB once, it can be cheaper to buy an individual day ticket to VB than to add VB onto the AP.

You'll need 3 park tickets to include VB. The 2 park tickets exclude it. If you are doing APs, and only plan to visit VB once, it can be cheaper to buy an individual day ticket to VB than to add VB onto the AP.

We did one day at VB and just purchased one day tickets. We did not add to our seasonal passes and it was definitely cheaper for us. We enjoyed it a ton but weren’t planning on going again that year and didn’t.
To people wanting to tour park day of HHN - you simply cannot imagine the amount of fatigue you will have. Our one HHN we got a lot done but bailed at 11:30 and were more exhausted than we have ever been. We did the 6 house tour that day. We still saw the shows and most of the houses as it was not a busy night but seriously my legs and feet were just dying. We are normally open to close go go go people at amusement parks but I cannot emphasize enough the amount of walking that happens. Also. Wear your absolute best shoes. For me it is my Hokas all the way. Not sandals I normally wear in parks.

Can anyone give any insight on what crowds are like beginning Nov 1st? Do hhn crowds tend to stick around through the week? Or is it busy for any other reason?

Ok, I think I see what you're saying. With the option of 4 daytime tickets, but using one on Thursday just to get in early, then I think I would opt to not get 4 daytime (3 day instead) and use the savings to go towards upgrading from a single night of HHN to the Rush of Fear (historically it would cover your Thur, Fri, Sat, and Sun nights).

The first night you could wait until the initial crowds get in (unless you don't mind waiting at the gate for opening) and see a few houses and/or shows and go through the scare zones. Could even ride some rides. Then on the Fri, Sat, Sun nights, you could use the daytime Park-to-Park tickets to be in Studios before closing for stay and scream (or again just come in after the initial rush of opening crowd). You'll be able to get more done those nights, and should be able to cover everything spreading the 10 houses and 2 shows across all nights. It would be a little more expensive (hopefully not too much), but would definitely give you more time at HHN (and remember you can ride the open rides too).

I do have a question, and you might already know the answer. We've never been to Volcano Bay. Is it included in the park-to-park tickets? I know the Annual Passes are more expensive if it includes VB. Might want to consider single park daytime tickets to save some money. Of course, if Hogwarts Express (or you generally park hop) is a high priority, then the park to park is more important. Just a possible consideration.

I agree, I wish they would hurry up and release the Frequent Fear and Rush of Fear tickets, so we could figure this all out. As for pricing, I expect RoF and FF to be $20-ish more dollars than last year. I think RoF was about $130 (without express) last year, so (my total guess) would be about $150 this year.

Anyway, I hope I have helped some and not made it more confusing. It'll definitely be easier to figure out when the rest of the HHN tickets are released.

One last thing, when you are about to buy tickets, check to see if they have a bonus buy on daytime tickets (e.g. Buy 2 days get a 3rd free or Buy 3 days get a 4th free - and be absolutely sure to read the fine print to make sure they are valid on your dates). One more additional last thing, if you think you might want to revisit USO within 12 months, the Seasonal Pass might be worth it. Just another consideration when everything is available to lay out and see what's best.
Omg, yes thanks so much for taking the time to understand my plans! I like your take on it and will def go for the freq fear for sept, considering the VB day ticket over a 3 day 3 park/ park-park is not something I considered but can price it out as well so thanks for that thought. you have to chose 2 park/park-park or 3 park/park-park and looking at prices looks like one VB day plus tax is $85.20 + 2 day 2 park/park-park plus tax is $319.49 for a total of $405. 3 day, 3 park park-park is $375 so it seems the multi day pass is still the better bet. Thanks again!!! actually 4 day park-park is only $388 so likely ill do that with the freq fear

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter