Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

I’m not really feeling Dead Man’s Wharf and Bug House tbh I was really hoping Fear Street was true so I hope it still makes the cut. I’m intrigued by the Blumhouse Freaky and The Black Phone mashup though because Freaky was such a good film.

Would y’all recommend rip tour or express pass for Sunday sep 11? First time for both me and my husband

Did this site end up predicting pretty accurately last year by this time?
Can’t remember, if u care to dig in last year’s thread could likely determine. Of course, last year everything was so late coming out. Hope they up their game this year & decide to commit early

Yoo-hoo board readers…multi-day tix info please
I vote that map. I would really like Stranger Things to come back especially with the new season starting next month.
While I love the actual franchise, the houses weren’t exactly ‘scary’.

Did appreciate the nice homage

Didn’t appreciate all the unsupervised tweens & what has been a real dumbing down of the event’s vibe to cater to a PG crowd

So sad, too bad, as I’m sure the gate is their bottom line there
I am not wowed over that many of repeat houses
I enjoyed the past blumehouse offerings far more than I expected. Not sure how those two movies would translate

Sign me up for wicked growth II

Any attention given to the classic monsters needs to be executed faithfully, while upping the content to current audience taste level. It’s a shame U hasn’t done well with their recent monster movie outings

Last edited:

Are you able to skip the stage shows during the public tour and go do something else? We have zero interest in them

This is a question better answered by VIp Tours

Public tour guides…. I don’t know how much leeway they have for setting up their tour if someone in the group leave to do something outside of the group tour.

Are you able to skip the stage shows during the public tour and go do something else? We have zero interest in them
When I was watching vlogs on YouTube the other week from last year’s tours to see if the public tour was worth it or not, I saw one where the person who was making the video said that on his tour there was a couple that wanted to go and get pizza fries instead of watching the stage show because that was a must for them and the tour guide let them go but then it messed up the rest of the tour for a bit and caused a 20 minute delay for everybody else having another unscheduled break whilst they all had to wait for them to come back and meet them at the private lounge in Lombard’s so that they could carry on the tour together.

Seems kinda rude to me to make the rest of the people in your tour wait and eat into their time where they might have wanted to do stuff after but I guess if the tour guide approves it and you’re back where you need to be at the right time it’s a possibility depending on your guide.

I saw one where the person who was making the video said that on his tour there was a couple that wanted to go and get pizza fries instead of watching the stage show because that was a must for them and the tour guide let them go but then it messed up the rest of the tour for a bit
Do think the above is rare as U does give great credence to feedback on their tours.

however, we had similar issue on public tour a few years ago. Supposedly ‘a group’ cannot book more than X number of spots together. The rationale is that it then tends to morph into a private tour of sorts.

DS and I were in a group of 10 that had 6 friends. the tour guide divulged he had just been promoted from a float driver. He wasn’t exactly on point overall.

Ran the tour on a majority rules basis, asking the group what they wanted to do next. That was a real first I’ve encountered. Only thing I can think of is being so green, he may have confused the procedures for a private vs a group tour.

The majority wanted to stop at (the then) private bars and grab a drink after nearly every house. It made for a very rushed last third of the tour to get it all done.

would like to think this was a fluke as so many here have had lovely experiences. However, it was enough of an irritant to keep us from booking another.

my suggestion is if you do decide to book a tour and find yourself quite unsatisfied with the experience, make sure to visit guest services before you leave the park that night and share your concerns.

Do think the above is rare as U does give great credence to feedback on their tours.

however, we had similar issue on public tour a few years ago. Supposedly ‘a group’ cannot book more than X number of spots together. The rationale is that it then tends to morph into a private tour of sorts.

DS and I were in a group of 10 that had 6 friends. the tour guide divulged he had just been promoted from a float driver. He wasn’t exactly on point overall.

Ran the tour on a majority rules basis, asking the group what they wanted to do next. That was a real first I’ve encountered. Only thing I can think of is being so green, he may have confused the procedures for a private vs a group tour.

The majority wanted to stop at (the then) private bars and grab a drink after nearly every house. It made for a very rushed last third of the tour to get it all done.

would like to think this was a fluke as so many here have had lovely experiences. However, it was enough of an irritant to keep us from booking another.

my suggestion is if you do decide to book a tour and find yourself quite unsatisfied with the experience, make sure to visit guest services before you leave the park that night and share your concerns.
That would be very frustrating. We were asked, fairly regularly about loo breaks, but the tour itself and refreshment stops seemed to run to a schedule set/followed by the guide.

Would y’all recommend rip tour or express pass for Sunday sep 11? First time for both me and my husband

Rip tours are brilliant and make the evening easy and stress free.

If you're not interested in the shows (I don't think the RIP tour includes the water show), then I'd say Express might be the better option for you. Since it is only one night of HHN, you'll want to get there early (preferably in the park before it closes so you get an early start ahead of the people outside the gate). There's some people that use Express from the get-go and some people wait to use Express until the lines get longer (so they can revisit the first house(s) with Express later in the night). If you want to see all houses, scare zones, and possibly ride a few rides (your HHN Express Pass allows EP for each ride one time per night), but you don't want to be there late, I'd recommend the first option of using EPs straight-away. If you don't mind staying late and want to do a few houses twice, then the second option would probably be best.

Having said that, we don't know what the other show will be, so you might be interested when it is announced. But, you can still see it without a tour. I think the first show of the night can use EP, but I've never gone to the show that early in the night. With the RIP tour, you'll visit all 10 houses quicker than you can with EPs, then you can spend time in scare zones, rides, eat/drink, revisit houses in the standby line or call it an early night.

Both options have their pros and cons, and either option is much better than having neither. I see some people can Stay and Scream and only use standby lines and keep an eye on the wait times via the app and criss cross over the park and can do all 10 in one night, but that is very much not for me. My feet are worn out each HHN night and we just make a circle or two around the park hitting houses and zones as we go.

Hope this helps you some. I know it's a bit intimidating and confusing having not been before, but you'll have a great time. The scare actors, set designers, and make-up artists are all great at what they do.

Last edited:
If you're not interested in the shows (I don't think the RIP tour includes the water show), then I'd say Express might be the better option for you. Since it is only one night of HHN, you'll want to get there early (preferably in the park before it closes so you get an early start ahead of the people outside the gate). There's some people that use Express from the get-go and some people wait to use Express until the lines get longer (so they can revisit the first house(s) with Express later in the night). If you want to see all houses, scare zones, and possibly ride a few rides (your HHN Express Pass allows EP for each ride one time per night), but you don't want to be there late, I'd recommend the first option of using EPs straight-away. If you don't mind staying late and want to do a few houses twice, then the second option would probably be best.

Having said that, we don't know what the other show will be, so you might be interested when it is announced. But, you can still see it without a tour. I think the first show of the night can use EP, but I've never gone to the show that early in the night. With the RIP tour, you'll visit all 10 houses quicker than you can with EPs, then you can spend time in scare zones, rides, eat/drink, revisit houses in the standby line or call it an early night.

Both options have their pros and cons, and either option is much better than having neither. I see some people can Stay and Scream and only use standby lines and keep an eye on the wait times via the app and criss cross over the park and can do all 10 in one night, but that is very much not for me. My feet are worn out each HHN night and we just make a circle or two around the park hitting houses and zones as we go.

Hope this helps you some. I know it's a bit intimidating and confusing having not been before, but you'll have a great time. The scare actors, set designers, and make-up artists are all great at what they do.
This was a very detailed explanation and helps tremendously. We are leaning towards express pass just for some flexibility

This was a very detailed explanation and helps tremendously. We are leaning towards express pass just for some flexibility

You're welcome, and if you have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask away. Also, there's tons of info from past years HHN in the yearly threads here. As you can see, we are all HHN freaks and love the event (even though we might love or not be excited about certain houses) and are definitely willing to help new folks.

Last year was our first time (after a planned 2020 trip). We screwed up in buying our tickets and probably paid too much. We will be there this year for 3-4 nights in September. Rush of Fear pass would be great. Any idea when something like that may be announced? Do I run the risk of a date at the end of September selling out before a pass announcement? Individually for 3 nights would be $300/per person.

This is my first time going to HHN. I'm looking at Oct 7th - 10th, although a weekend in September is a possibility. I want to book a public Rip tour but I'm waiting to see when the AP dates are released for the the included free night. Any guesses on how soon Universal might release the AP dates? Should I just go ahead and book the Rip tour instead of waiting since I'll be going on a weekend? I'm not sure how quickly the tours sell out.

Last year was our first time (after a planned 2020 trip). We screwed up in buying our tickets and probably paid too much. We will be there this year for 3-4 nights in September. Rush of Fear pass would be great. Any idea when something like that may be announced? Do I run the risk of a date at the end of September selling out before a pass announcement? Individually for 3 nights would be $300/per person.

This is my first time going to HHN. I'm looking at Oct 7th - 10th, although a weekend in September is a possibility. I want to book a public Rip tour but I'm waiting to see when the AP dates are released for the the included free night. Any guesses on how soon Universal might release the AP dates? Should I just go ahead and book the Rip tour instead of waiting since I'll be going on a weekend? I'm not sure how quickly the tours sell out.

2021 All Tickets Released: 8/05/21 Post #686

Some RIP Tours have already sold out, you might want to call and verify if your date & time is still available.

EDIT to add: 2021 there were price increases before the AP discount was announced.

6/24/21 Express Pass Increase. Post #435

7/18/21 Public RIP Increase. Post #593

7/29/21 Express Pass 2nd Increase. Post #629

Edit: And there was another price increase after AP discounts were released.
10/09/21 Express Pass 3rd Increase?. Post #1259

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter