Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

Not only have that not made any communications about the status of the race, they are still accepting registrations.
The one in Polk May 9th thats now TBD is still excepting registration I assume it will be moved to October as it’s the only month from May-Nov that doesn’t have a club event... as long as it’s not the same day as my run in Clearwater I’ll be fine

I don't think we will hear anything about the race, until Disney can give a bigger more concrete announcement. So maybe in about a week Disney will come out and say we are officially opening resorts on such and such a date. Parks on such a date. Cruises on this date and then say the following things are cancelled and what we are doing about refunds, etc (races, adventure by Disney's, specific cruises over the next year, etc). This would prevent the constant media attention of having different announcements every day.

I don't think we will hear anything about the race, until Disney can give a bigger more concrete announcement. So maybe in about a week Disney will come out and say we are officially opening resorts on such and such a date. Parks on such a date. Cruises on this date and then say the following things are cancelled and what we are doing about refunds, etc (races, adventure by Disney's, specific cruises over the next year, etc). This would prevent the constant media attention of having different announcements every day.
The Orlando Business Journal is claiming closures to be extended exponentially.

HR just sent out emails that they cancelled all of our time off requests through April 30th, to ensure the hospital is fully staffed for all of this. Seems very unlikely the race will go on. I hope I can just get a refund, and then I’ll start training for Food and Wine. I got myself signed up for a half marathon!

So maybe in about a week Disney will come out and say we are officially opening resorts on such and such a date. Parks on such a date.

I would love for you to be correct, but I think the most likely scenario is an announcement that the parks will be closed for an additional xx weeks. There is little chance that there will be any clarity of what to do over the next month.

It is a bit perplexing that Disneyland just announced discounted hotel rooms starting April 19.

The Orlando Business Journal is claiming closures to be extended exponentially.

The 2 weeks announced vs 8 week CDC recommendation would be considered exponential, right? I've been thinking it'll be longer, and I'm really reeeeally hoping weather helps and they open by June 1.

RunDisney has lost a lot of my respect at this point. One of the cardinal rules of dealing with situations like this is communicate--honestly and frequently. The fact that they have done nothing is telling. And it speaks to either their complete incompetence or worse, greed, that they have not closed off registration for this race.

RunDisney has lost a lot of my respect at this point. One of the cardinal rules of dealing with situations like this is communicate--honestly and frequently. The fact that they have done nothing is telling. And it speaks to either their complete incompetence or worse, greed, that they have not closed off registration for this race.

Indeed. I don't mind them holding off on a decision, but they should absolutely establish a decision date and let people know when that will happen.

Shame on them.

Indeed. I don't mind them holding off on a decision, but they should absolutely establish a decision date and let people know when that will happen.

Shame on them.

Thank you! I follow probably 2 dozen different race organizers from huge international to small local and ALL of them EXCEPT Run Disney has made a statement about this situation. It’s malpractice at this point.

The race will not happen.

RunDisney historically has terrible communications. I doubt anything is heard about the race until Disney makes a decision on the parks being open, which they are probably taking their time because the phone calls will flood their call center. They are probably creating a new update to all activities and refund policies for all WDW activities for the month of April before an official closure announcement.

It is unethical to still be selling spots, if they do know the race will be cancelled. But they don't want to give any indication that the race would be cancelled or WDW closed to avoid a flood of phone calls with closing registration all of sudden. But they should say it is sold out.

Overall, the longer they hold this announcement, the more phone calls and angry customers they will get.

My personal opinion the parks won't open until June 1st. That is if confirmed cases have a good trend in late April.

I'm going to cut rD some slack here. And anyone who's been around here a while knows I rarely cut Disney any slack, lol! But here's why: I am managing communications on COVID-19 for another very touristy area in FL and I can tell you that things are literally changing by the hour here. My job is usually quite calm, relaxed, and I get plenty of notice about things before I need to communicate them - the last 3 days have been nonstop messaging, changing the messaging, adding new messaging, on and on. Our audience is getting frustrated because we keep re-messaging. I think Disney has its hands full dealing with the closure of parks and resorts/restaurants right now. There likely isn't time to deal with a race weekend that isn't on the immediate horizon. Recommendations and mandates at the state and local levels are constantly changing, too, and that impacts WDW and any decisions it makes. Knowing what I know right now about how things look in Florida, I very much doubt the races can go on, but I can see several reasons to delay an official notification.

People who know they won't attend can cancel resort/ticket/dining now without penalty, so no need to wait on rD to make a decision or issue a notice. As far as rD registrations go, whatever will be will be: making your decision now vs. later isn't likely to change anything in that regard.

I'm going to cut rD some slack here. And anyone who's been around here a while knows I rarely cut Disney any slack, lol! But here's why: I am managing communications on COVID-19 for another very touristy area in FL and I can tell you that things are literally changing by the hour here. My job is usually quite calm, relaxed, and I get plenty of notice about things before I need to communicate them - the last 3 days have been nonstop messaging, changing the messaging, adding new messaging, on and on. Our audience is getting frustrated because we keep re-messaging. I think Disney has its hands full dealing with the closure of parks and resorts/restaurants right now. There likely isn't time to deal with a race weekend that isn't on the immediate horizon. Recommendations and mandates at the state and local levels are constantly changing, too, and that impacts WDW and any decisions it makes. Knowing what I know right now about how things look in Florida, I very much doubt the races can go on, but I can see several reasons to delay an official notification.

People who know they won't attend can cancel resort/ticket/dining now without penalty, so no need to wait on rD to make a decision or issue a notice. As far as rD registrations go, whatever will be will be: making your decision now vs. later isn't likely to change anything in that regard.
But I think the point people are making is that if they are in that situation, they should communicate that. A simple tweet or post on Facebook saying we are looking at the circumstances and due to the cancellations and urgent matters, cannot advise at this time or whatever the reasoning would be fine. I think the main complaint is the silence.

Other races that have not determined cancellation have at least communicated this. Rundisney has not and there lies the problem and rightful complaints

RunDisney would earn a lot of respect by just canceling this and refunding race fees.
People who know they won't attend can cancel resort/ticket/dining now without penalty, so no need to wait on rD to make a decision or issue a notice.
While I have not seen anything official from Disney, it appears they are backtracking on what they originally posted about no penalty - specifcally DVC points not going into holding. I had a canceled end of March trip and now all my points are in holding. When I called, the rep said that they changed the procedure to now hold people to the cancellation rules. People on the DVC board are reporting they are being told the same thing. Let's see how this plays out.

While I have not seen anything official from Disney, it appears they are backtracking on what they originally posted about no penalty - specifcally DVC points not going into holding. I had a canceled end of March trip and now all my points are in holding. When I called, the rep said that they changed the procedure to now hold people to the cancellation rules. People on the DVC board are reporting they are being told the same thing. Let's see how this plays out.
NOT COOL DVC!!! Ugh. :headache:

But I think the point people are making is that if they are in that situation, they should communicate that. A simple tweet or post on Facebook saying we are looking at the circumstances and due to the cancellations and urgent matters, cannot advise at this time or whatever the reasoning would be fine. I think the main complaint is the silence.

Other races that have not determined cancellation have at least communicated this. Rundisney has not and there lies the problem and rightful complaints
Form a personal perspective ITA. From a business perspective, I can see why it may not be happening, or why they think it's best to be silent for now. I don't know if it's the best move or not, or if it's even intentional, but I'm seeing first-hand the negatives of messaging when things aren't yet nailed down, so I kind of get it.

That would upset me if that was the case. Luckily we have an AKV-Value Studio booked so only 51 points would end up in holding and we live close enough that last minute trips can be done without too much trouble and we have an April Use Year so plenty of time as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter