• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL 2020 Free Dining WATCH Thread - FREE DINING No Longer Available. First Post Updated with Details

I have a question about modifying an existing reservation. I have already booked a 7 day moderate hotel and 7 day park ticket with park hopper for my family. When free dining drops, I will try to go in and modify my existing reservation to add dining. When I do this:

1. Will the QS dining plan show up as $0 cost and I just add it?
2. If I want the TS dining plan, will is show up as the cost difference between the free QA and the TS option? We may want to upgrade.

Thanks. Just preparing myself for what to expect when I go in to modify.

I did upgrade everyone to the regular dining plan. I believe, if my calculations are correct, that it added $1320 to our total package price. The kids want to go to Hoop De Doo which is about $400 for our party. I don't know. Maybe I should reconsider upgrading the dining plan and figuring what we would spend on a few special meals.

You could maybe stay with quick service and use that $1320 towards a few nice meals. You could probably pocket $500 to $600 this way. Then you’ll still have your two quick service meals per day on top off a few TS meals, so people can eat a bit extra. Also, lots of TS meals equals lots of tipping, equals even more money spent. :scared: It’s totally up to you of course, I’m just trying to save you a few bucks. Lol.

Check to make sure you got two standard rooms as well. That can save you a bit.

I have a question about modifying an existing reservation. I have already booked a 7 day moderate hotel and 7 day park ticket with park hopper for my family. When free dining drops, I will try to go in and modify my existing reservation to add dining. When I do this:

1. Will the QS dining plan show up as $0 cost and I just add it?
2. If I want the TS dining plan, will is show up as the cost difference between the free QA and the TS option? We may want to upgrade.

Thanks. Just preparing myself for what to expect when I go in to modify.

When you go into modify, you’ll want to click on the fd special offer link. If you don’t see it right away, click on your resort, I *think* that will bring you to the offer.

Once you do that, it’s pretty self-explanatory. It will give you the option to upgrade your dining plan and yes, it will just be the difference in price between the plans.

Should we be trying to book something tonight in hopes of modifying the reservation to add FD or a room discount if that’s what drops soon?

Should we be trying to book something tonight in hopes of modifying the reservation to add FD or a room discount if that’s what drops soon?
That’s an option but it may be too late as a few people have reported there isn’t any availability being displayed right now in prep for whatever changes/offers they are brining out. If you see what you want it can’t hurt to book it.

I went to look at the website and everything is wonky both on my phone and the computer. Hopefully that means they are working on something. I was trying to price some different resorts out and everything is showing not available. No matter what dates or resorts I am looking at.
same thing when i was online a few hours ago i thought the same thing lol.

same thing when i was online a few hours ago i thought the same thing lol.
Same here... I was thinking about going a resort level up but cant get any pricing... here's to hoping for some FD tonight!

I would not book now. There is no guarantee you’ll be able to modify tomorrow. Plus we don’t know dates, resorts, room categories, etc... It’s fairly quick and easy to book a new reservation online.

Based on prior free dining offers, yes, DVC resorts are included but not 3 bedrooms. The nice thing about DVC reservations is that they do not charge extra person fees when more than 2 adults are in the room (which every other category does).
Interestingly, I have been looking at rates for potential dates for my family of 5 to stay at Boulder Ridge over the past several days. On Sunday, the rates were the same whether it was 4 adults and one child or 2 adults and one child- $480 per night. Today when I look at 4 adults and one child, the price per night at Boulder Ridge increases from $480 to $552.
Just looked at Riviera for the same room category same dates and adding the two additional adults increases the per night rate by $70.
Guess I'm booking two rooms at a value. :rolleyes2

Last edited:
Interestingly, I have been looking at rates for potential dates for my family of 5 to stay at Boulder Ridge over the past several days. On Sunday, the rates were the same whether it was 4 adults and one child or 2 adults and one child- $480 per night. Today when I look at 4 adults and one child, the price per night at Boulder Ridge increases from $480 to $552.
Just looked at Riviera for the same room category same dates and adding the two additional adults increases the per night rate by $70.
I hope this isn't something that is being changed. I just checked my dates and resort, OKW, and the price is the same for 2 people or 8.

I just priced out my dates at Boulder Ridge, and the room rate was the same whether I entered 2 adults or 7 adults for a 2-bedroom.

I just priced out my dates at Boulder Ridge, and the room rate was the same whether I entered 2 adults or 7 adults for a 2-bedroom.
I don't understand why I am seeing the increase. These were deluxe studios at both places. I'm going to look at it again in the morning and pray it is just a crazy glitch.

Last edited:
New offer has gone up. It is a room only offer. Up to 20% off. No free dining. That doesn't mean that it couldn't still drop in the wee hours. But it didn't drop at the same time as the room offer, for whatever that's worth.

New offer has gone up. It is a room only offer. Up to 20% off. No free dining. That doesn't mean that it couldn't still drop in the wee hours. But it didn't drop at the same time as the room offer, for whatever that's worth.

Hasn't the Gift of Magic offer been up for awhile? Or did they change it?

I don't know what was there before, but this offer is only for booking beginning January 2nd. So either it is a brand new offer or they have modified the dates on a previous offer.

Looks like it was modified. I only remember because we were looking at going in the spring but decided against it given how high the rates were even with the discount. I just checked on a page with historical discounts including 2020 offers and it's slightly different. I copied and pasted what is on that site below.

1/1/20-4/25/2015%-25% off room-only rates for general public (also bookable as package)10/4/19, exp 3/7/20

Guess I can cancel my middle of the night alarms and head off to bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter