• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL 2020 Free Dining WATCH Thread - FREE DINING No Longer Available. First Post Updated with Details

I’m technically waiting for a room discount instead of FD but following along anyway because both discounts dropped the same day last year. Would love to book tomorrow!

:rainbow:Happy New Year! 2020 here we come! :car:

Thanks for the information!
Has anyone had any experience previously booking a FD deal and then modifying the reservation to add an additional person?
What about booking with the regular QS plan and then changing later to the TS plan? Can you do either of these things without messing up the reservation with the deal? I thought I remembered reading it is fine if you add people onto the plan later as long as you do not go over the room capacity without having to totally cancel and re reserve the room.
I think you would have to cancel the reservation and start over if you dropped a person from the room. Right?

I am just not sure at this date if my son will be able to join me, so I do not want to pay for him now.

I asked Disney about adding an additional person later to a free dining package (this was on the online chat). The CM said that it is much better to add in anyone who may come when booking, because it is easy to take them off the reservation should they decide not to come, but the free dining may not be available to add them in later. I know this doesn't really make a lot of sense, but that is what I was told. I am hoping to reserve a 2 bedroom DVC with free dining. I know for sure that 6 of us are going, and 2 or 3 more could so I will put all 9 of us on the reservation right away.

I asked Disney about adding an additional person later to a free dining package (this was on the online chat). The CM said that it is much better to add in anyone who may come when booking, because it is easy to take them off the reservation should they decide not to come, but the free dining may not be available to add them in later. I know this doesn't really make a lot of sense, but that is what I was told. I am hoping to reserve a 2 bedroom DVC with free dining. I know for sure that 6 of us are going, and 2 or 3 more could so I will put all 9 of us on the reservation right away.
Is FD available with DVC bookings?

:rainbow:Happy New Year! 2020 here we come! :car:

Thanks for the information!
Has anyone had any experience previously booking a FD deal and then modifying the reservation to add an additional person?
What about booking with the regular QS plan and then changing later to the TS plan? Can you do either of these things without messing up the reservation with the deal? I thought I remembered reading it is fine if you add people onto the plan later as long as you do not go over the room capacity without having to totally cancel and re reserve the room.
I think you would have to cancel the reservation and start over if you dropped a person from the room. Right?

I am just not sure at this date if my son will be able to join me, so I do not want to pay for him now.

I think it would be better to add your son in now. I don’t think that should mess with your free dining.

If you add him in later, he’ll need to add on his tickets and that will be subject to the most current ticket price. Ticket prices haven’t gone up in awhile, so an increase could be coming at any time. Which could be a significant increase for everyone on the reservation since the tickets are part of the package, I believe you’d all have to pay the increase on your tickets.

Is FD available with DVC bookings?

Based on prior free dining offers, yes, DVC resorts are included but not 3 bedrooms. The nice thing about DVC reservations is that they do not charge extra person fees when more than 2 adults are in the room (which every other category does).

After booking can I take a night off of my reservation if needed.....was gonna book 8 night but might want to go down to 7

We were looking at going in dec 2020 now we are looking at September 2020 first week any views on the first week in September?

For one it’s the cheapest time to go....week nights at some values run $117 a night!
And lowest crowds
But the weather.....so hot
Most of our trips have been end of September, we are hoping for beginning this go around
The price looks nice we are doing an adult only trip for 2020 i hate heat but we may have to work around that lol.

After booking can I take a night off of my reservation if needed.....was gonna book 8 night but might want to go down to 7

It’s possible, but not a sure thing. Sometimes a reservation can be made for 8 days, but not 7 days under the same promotion.

Try to modify online first, but if you can’t, you’ll need to call and request it. They might be able/willing to override it. Frustrating, I know.

any views on the first week in September?
August into October is also hurricane season. The last few trips I've taken have been late Sept into early Oct and I've been incredibly lucky to miss the storms ie hurricane blew through the week before I arrived and another time I flew out a few days before the hurricane arrived. While Orlando is inland and generally does not suffer as much severe damage as the coasts, it can still suffer some damage and dramatically up end travel plans. Many DIS'rs have cancelled their vacations at the last minute because of hurricane reports, often eating the cost of airfare and/or losing their vacation time at work, to avoid putting themselves and their families in danger. It's a great deal of extra stress in the weeks leading up to the trip as families decide if they will get on the plane or not. I'm not being a downer or trying to discourage anyone from booking FD in late summer/early fall, but just another important factor to add in the mix when you decide to book the FD promotion/take the room only discount for these dates. If you think the worry is exaggerated, search on the Boards for the threads dealing with the 2018 hurricane season. A great deal of planning, $ and dreams go into these vacations. Only you and your family can decide if WDW in hurricane season is a risk you are willing to accept.

We were looking at going in dec 2020 now we are looking at September 2020 first week any views on the first week in September?
Cheapest time to go, but also peak hurricane season so beware (I was at WDW in 2017 during Irma). I also went the same time in 2018, some rain everyday but tolerable.

A FD trip that may take 15 mins to book early in the morning can takes hours and hours with lots of frustration later in the day. As the word gets out that FD has dropped we crash the online booking and phone lines every-single-time!!

Booking earlier is ALWAYS better when it comes to new Special Offers!
my TA was on line for so many hours when Gift of Magic discount dropped in September. website kept crashing, resorts came and went with availability. she finally sent me the confirmations at 2AM the next day and she started at 7AM the day the discount dropped. We have 2 rooms and split stay so a bit more complicated. TA said one of the worst days she has seen that that was not even Free Dining!!!

The price looks nice we are doing an adult only trip for 2020 i hate heat but we may have to work around that lol.
Just a heads up that September is often melt-your-face-off hot!! That being said we’re booked again this September but you need to be able to handle almost 100° with almost 100° humidity. If that’s not for you you may wish to choose a different time.
If a DVC resort is available in the free dining offer inventory when booking a cash package reservation through WDW, yes. You cannot get FD booking with DVC points.
Thanks! That’s what I was confused about. I thought the OP was looking to book FD while using DVC points. Basically they’re looking for a regular FD Package (room, tickets, dining) at a resort that also has DVC rooms. Thanks for clarifying.

Just a heads up that September is often melt-your-face-off hot!! That being said we’re booked again this September but you need to be able to handle almost 100° with almost 100° humidity. If that’s not for you you may wish to choose a different time.
Thanks! That’s what I was confused about. I thought the OP was looking to book FD while using DVC points. Basically they’re looking for a regular FD Package (room, tickets, dining) at a resort that also has DVC rooms. Thanks for clarifying.

We are going to do September. I know it's going to be miserably hot. Right now I'm on a waitlist for a DVC rental which would be ideal but I'm a planner so if free dining comes out I want to book something. I was going over the rack rates with my husband and he wants me to book at a moderate but I really would rather book at a deluxe even though the prices are so high. I don't mind moderates but I love the idea of sitting on a balcony. Now I"m wondering though if I'd enjoy a balcony when it's so hot out. I'm so torn.

I really hope free dining drops in the morning because the anticipation is killing me, as I am sure it is for everyone else.

When free dining has dropped in the past what time has it been released? Sometime early morning?

We have done the first week of September several times, we have started going later in September and into October more now though, mainly because of the kids school schedule, yes it can be hot but we love vacation heat!!!

Labor Day weekend is usually busier but it always seemed the days after were very pleasant as far as crowds go.

I feel September used to be a very calm time of year to visit but it has steadily gotten busier and frankly at Disney I don’t feel there are any big slow times much anymore.

With that said September is still one of our main travel months, have a trip booked already although it’s a Universal trip it’s still September, we like HHN and MNSSHP!

Hoping to add a nice FD stay to it though in September or possibly before or after our Disney Cruise in December!!!

When free dining has dropped in the past what time has it been released? Sometime early morning?
Normally early in the morning. Often before 7am. In the past when I’ve been waiting for FD to drop I’ve set my alarm every half hour from 4am onwards. One time I had 3 trips booked for family and friends before the phone lines opened. Not waiting for FD this time as I have a FD BB booked but will update the first post whenever FD drops.

the big mystery is if/when will it drop? Historically it was late April/early May but last year we were all shocked when it dropped Jan 2nd!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter