Official 2019 HHN-29 Thread

Hi, I’m totally new to universal and the party. My son and I are heading to it tonight. Is it like MNSSHP where you can get in earlier than the party time with your party ticket? Also, are the express passed worth it? And is it too late to get them? TIA!!

The holding pens are not roped off until 4:45 or around that time period
Rope stands will be in place but ropes not yet
It’s just a lane to be in to enter the s/s sections when the park closes

If peeps are inside Finnegans at 4 or after and eating they get a paper hhn band on their wrist

No one has to go to a holding pen until
5:00

If you go to Finnegans at 3, you won’t be able to keep that table when you are done eating
Some air at the bar and drink to wait out the wait time for hhn to open

Simpson area has tables in the area
Many claim a table for their group maybe around 4 or after
There are food places in this section
The bar at the end of this section has seats and some near the water there
If you have the hhn band on, you can stay in any area that is set up for a holding pen

Most places are in the sun at the park

Last few years I do rides until they close
When park closes, I get a wrist band and then head to a holding area and wait for hhn to open

TM will come around in the holding areas and ask to see your hhn ticket
If you have one, they fasten a paper band on your wrist

Each hhn date they use a different color band

Oncwr the park closes and you have a band on, you won’t be asked to verify your ticket anymore

Thanks @macraven, this gives me a better idea of what to expect.

I’m having a hard time deciding whether to hang out in the parks until I have to go to the holding pen or go early in the hopes of finding a cool place to sit. I don’t handle either the sun or standing for long periods of time well, but my daughter and her boyfriend would be fine.

Ah, what to do, what to do...

what houses have the stay and scream zones been releasing to? I hear reports of standing in the street by Finnegan's for an hour in the miserable heat or looking like rain next week. Can't I just hang out in the leaky cauldron until it's time for HHN? ;)

Does it make much difference where you are in the holding area? I mean, are you in a “line” and it’s better to be toward the front, or does it not matter much where you are?

For some reason I’m picturing running carrels in a marathon.

Does it make much difference where you are in the holding area? I mean, are you in a “line” and it’s better to be toward the front, or does it not matter much where you are?

For some reason I’m picturing running carrels in a marathon.
When the holding pens are released, many peeps run to the house lines
Well I shouldn’t say many but many times it’s the older teens are the ones In a rush

I do a fast walk and don’t run
We all wait in the house line and if it takes me five minutes longer to get Into a house, I’m good with that

Stranger Things and GhostBusters will be the two houses Finnegans will let out to

Does not mean you have to go to those houses first but they are the closest to Finnegans

Rumor has it a house could be open before 6 if you are in the Simpson holding area

Read some of the reports from last year’s threads about hhn
Might give you tips
This year is my 20th in a row for hhn

Seems like all years have followed a same or similar pattern for way to do the houses

what houses have the stay and scream zones been releasing to? I hear reports of standing in the street by Finnegan's for an hour in the miserable heat or looking like rain next week. Can't I just hang out in the leaky cauldron until it's time for HHN? ;)

Yup it can be hot if waiting at a holding pen
Not many places to sit if at Finnegans
Last year I had a reservation at Lombards
Did not leave there until 5:30
Went to Simpson holding are and found seats there
The let peeps out early

Each year and each night of hhn, things can change
What works now may not 4-5 weeks from now

Look at the park map and get an idea of the park layout
You will need to know this when it gets dark outside
Also look at the hhn map online and know where the houses are located
Pay attention to the walkway shown for line entrance to a house

Houses in a couple of sections in the park have very long walks to reach the house

I use my cell phone for a light to read the hhn map on occasion if I change my plans to avoid long house waits

Each entrance line to a house will list wait time
If a house wait is over one hour, check to see if a different house has shorter waits

Signage is in many places in the park to show line wait times

Aside from the Private and Non-Private RIP Tours, apparently now there's a new "lite" option, where you get 5 houses included (either front or back of park). No express pass for rides afterwards. Details seem scarce, anyone have more info on this?
Yes this was offered last year

The houses are predetermined by the tour guide

It went over big with the public

Read last year’s threads to find personal reports on this set up

I can’t remember all the comments that were made about it

Hi, I’m totally new to universal and the party. My son and I are heading to it tonight. Is it like MNSSHP where you can get in earlier than the party time with your party ticket? Also, are the express passed worth it? And is it too late to get them? TIA!!

No you are not allowed in early like Disney does if you have a HHN ticket only. They are offering this year a ticket that lets you in at 3pm for $25 I believe it is.

And yes express is worth it, especially if you're only doing it once and want to see everything.

At HHN now. Entered the Simpsons S&S area around 4:45. We were able to get in line for food with only a few people ahead of us and plenty of seating. I grabbed a table while my husband got the food. By the time he was back it had filled up quite a bit and the line was much longer. It’s definitely nice to be able to relax in the AC and enjoy our food.

Update in line for Depths of Fear now. 5:34.

Last edited:
I'm excited to be visiting HHN for the first time in 17 (!) years. I can't wait to see how much it has changed.

I'm going solo because I'm at a conference for work and the timing just worked out. Any tips for solo guests? I have EP. Will I enter the houses with other people? Are solos "picked on" by the SA? Will I need a diaper?!

Thanks for your update!

You have some favorite houses?
No problem :) I enjoyed all of the houses, but my favorites were Depths of Fear, Us (the last room was my favorite of all the houses), and Yeti. DH’s favorites were Depths of Fear, House of a 1000 Corpses, and Yeti. We didn’t have the best run on some of them so after a bit of a break we are going to hit them again.

Also I wanted to touch on a couple other things I’ve seen people wondering about... there was a bit of rain. Everything seemed to be operating normally. The scare actors were still out, but not moving around as much.

I know there was also a lot of talk about the amount of walking. I’ve walked around 11,000 steps since we got here (just HHN).

I'm excited to be visiting HHN for the first time in 17 (!) years. I can't wait to see how much it has changed.

I'm going solo because I'm at a conference for work and the timing just worked out. Any tips for solo guests? I have EP. Will I enter the houses with other people? Are solos "picked on" by the SA? Will I need a diaper?!

I've not gone solo, but I think you'll still have a great time. You will enter houses with other people, as we all do. It's a continuous "conga line" through the houses. It's not like smaller events where they pulse groups. You'll have a person in front of you and a person behind you. There might be occasional bumping into each other and/or stepping on heels, but that's due to the lighting and some jump scares can cause people to speed up or hold back a second. Never had anything bad though.

Solo people can be picked on in scare zones just as people in groups can be picked on. The best advice I've seen is to not look scared or nervous. See where actors are and peek over your shoulder occasionally. If you're smiling and having a good time, they'll more often leave you alone while they find a screamer. If you project the aura of "oh cool, that costume and make-up is amazing!" rather than "please don't get near me!", I think you'll have a more peaceful stroll through the zones. Bottom line: have fun and don't worry!

I know in some years past they’ve had an opening ceremony of sorts at the front gate. Is that the case again this year?

And, if anyone has seen it, is it worth skipping Stay and Scream for?

I’m planning three nights and it would be a good thing to do on the Friday where I’m just planning to see the shows, really explore the scare zones/merch/food since crowds will be at their worst.

Sounds like a good plan
Maybe on the Friday do a few houses and all scare zones and spend time taking pictures in the park
Only show is aov which I skip
Been twice to it and it’s not my thing

Also check out the merch in the shops
Stores not very crowded until later in the evening

Sounds like a good plan
Maybe on the Friday do a few houses and all scare zones and spend time taking pictures in the park
Only show is aov which I skip
Been twice to it and it’s not my thing

Also check out the merch in the shops
Stores not very crowded until later in the evening
There’s also Marathon of Mayhem which we really liked. We skipped AOV as well though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter