Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

I did my first half marathon last year at Disneyland. Being my first one....and given that we are supposed to be at the starting line at 5:30am in the morning....I decided to stay at the Disney California Hotel. Despite the cost, I decided to stay there cuz my family hasn't stayed there before....and I didn't want to have to figure out how to drive myself to the park and get up super early to do so. Although it was easier for me to get up and just walk outside to get to the starting line....I ended up spending a lot more $$$ than I wanted to ( while factoring a whole weekend at the DL parks themselves with the family ).

This year, one of the main reasons as to why I would not do the next Light Side Half Marathon in January 2018 is due to $$$ concerns.

For those that have done these Half Marathons at DL from year to year....where do stay when it comes to staying at a hotel?

My preference is to find a place that is within walking distance. I can't drive there....since my Wife and Kids would have to do the same in order to meet me at the finish line ( yes, I am one of those types that want my family there at the end of the run )....so it has to be walking distance from the Finish Line near the DL hotel itself. We usually stay at Residence Inn or Hampton Inn....to give you an idea of the type of hotels that I prefer to stay at....so, maybe more 3+ star hotels? I know that those type of hotels are still a little pricey....but nowhere near as pricey as staying at the DL or DCA Hotels.

Any suggestions on where to stay?
Search for Disneyland area hotels on Expedia and booking.com and use the map function. That way you can view location, prices, and review ratings all at once.

If Light Side occurs, I'll be staying at the Staybridge Suites Anaheim at the Park. It's a great price, and a 15-minute walk down Disneyland Drive to the start.

The nice thing about Disneyland is the proximity of off-site hotels. For Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend, my mom, aunt and I stayed at a hotel at the corner of Harbor and Katella. We were able to walk to both the start line of the races and the to the main gates of the parks in about 10-15 minutes. There are hotels literally in every direction from DL within walking distance, so just go to your usual rate and review site to see which one may suit you best. If you don't want to walk every time, most are also on the shuttle route and you get free (I think? Maybe just discounted) tickets for the shuttle for the whole weekend at the DL race expos. MANY people were walking to and from the start/finish, however, and it was a nice warmup distance. I'm planning to stay in the same hotel when I go back for Light Side.

Last year you could get an ART shuttle pass for free at the expo for everyone in your group. It drops you off at the transportation plaza and ran before the race staring very early.

Now family meeting A runner at the finish line might be another issue since many of the main roads around Disneyland are blocked off to traffic. The shuttles don't even run.

Honestly, I'm leaning toward this temp worker issue that from all accounts was a disaster at tink. Disney is obviously scared to keep using volunteers and so unless they can make the temps work then they are going to have a hard time doing future races.

Honestly, I'm leaning toward this temp worker issue that from all accounts was a disaster at tink. Disney is obviously scared to keep using volunteers and so unless they can make the temps work then they are going to have a hard time doing future races.
Only 2 weeks until we see how Disneyland Half turns out!

I did my first half marathon last year at Disneyland. Being my first one....and given that we are supposed to be at the starting line at 5:30am in the morning....I decided to stay at the Disney California Hotel. Despite the cost, I decided to stay there cuz my family hasn't stayed there before....and I didn't want to have to figure out how to drive myself to the park and get up super early to do so. Although it was easier for me to get up and just walk outside to get to the starting line....I ended up spending a lot more $$$ than I wanted to ( while factoring a whole weekend at the DL parks themselves with the family ).

This year, one of the main reasons as to why I would not do the next Light Side Half Marathon in January 2018 is due to $$$ concerns.

For those that have done these Half Marathons at DL from year to year....where do stay when it comes to staying at a hotel?

My preference is to find a place that is within walking distance. I can't drive there....since my Wife and Kids would have to do the same in order to meet me at the finish line ( yes, I am one of those types that want my family there at the end of the run )....so it has to be walking distance from the Finish Line near the DL hotel itself. We usually stay at Residence Inn or Hampton Inn....to give you an idea of the type of hotels that I prefer to stay at....so, maybe more 3+ star hotels? I know that those type of hotels are still a little pricey....but nowhere near as pricey as staying at the DL or DCA Hotels.

Any suggestions on where to stay?
We've stayed on site for Tinkerbell a couple of times, and yes its very convenient! But the cost is up there. We usually stay off site. Either at Stovalls Inn as its close to the corrals. But I prefer staying at Hojo on Harbor. Its a longer walk to the corrals (20 minutes) but a shorter walk to the parks (8 minutes). I prefer this hotel so thats why we stay there. We go to the parks a lot on race weekends so for us being closer to the park is more beneficial. As long as I can walk to the race start, thats all I need. I know you can take the shutttle for free but I get so nervous on race mornings that I'd be a stressed out mess if I was relying on it and it was running late!

So realistically, how long after the race do you think until we hear something? 2 weeks?

Well - according to their official training plan - they need to have it announced by September 12th if they want runners to use the Jeff Galloway plan.

I have a feeling there will be many people at the RunDisney booth that weekend asking questions about this race and Tink.

I have doctors appts which I schedule around these races since I travel for both. I need to know (I have doctors scheduled after DLH and most likely the next appt would be March at the earliest so I have time but still) and soon if we are going to have anything on the west coast in 2018. I honestly am starting to reach the end of my rope about this and I can't be the only one.

Nope us too. We are trying to plan for some other kind of trip if LS doesn't happen since our anniversary is close to it. Kinda need to know one way or another.

If this has something to do with registrations being low at DL, this is not the way to increase registrations and revenue. I would guess this would have a negative effect and numbers will be way down if the races do go forward at this point and that may be a justification to not do them in the future. Sad. I enjoy running at DL better than WDW.

I have doctors appts which I schedule around these races since I travel for both. I need to know (I have doctors scheduled after DLH and most likely the next appt would be March at the earliest so I have time but still) and soon if we are going to have anything on the west coast in 2018. I honestly am starting to reach the end of my rope about this and I can't be the only one.
Your rope is longer than mine. I'm already out for next year. Had to much other stuff (and people) to coordinate with. I am still watching this thread, though, since I hope they continue the race, and I can do it in 2019. For everyone still hoping to do 2018, I really hope you find out soon after DLH!

Your rope is longer than mine. I'm already out for next year. Had to much other stuff (and people) to coordinate with. I am still watching this thread, though, since I hope they continue the race, and I can do it in 2019. For everyone still hoping to do 2018, I really hope you find out soon after DLH!
This is me as well. I'm a legacy DS runner that was planning on getting my Kessel medal this year. Hopefully they'll continue this race in 2019 so I can finally get it!

I actually booked my trip for California regardless of the race. If it happen then great! If it doesn't then I'll still have a wonderful time driving around California. I really wanted my Kessel Run medal next year though. It's really going to suck if they cancel it. :worried:

I really hope to find out prior to September 12, when tickets go on sale for a concert in New York that will be tough to justify missing out on while I wait for this race to maybe-reopen registration.

I actually booked my trip for California regardless of the race. If it happen then great! If it doesn't then I'll still have a wonderful time driving around California. I really wanted my Kessel Run medal next year though. It's really going to suck if they cancel it. :worried:
We are in the same boat. We already have our room and airline tickets for the Light Side so we are in. I'll be really bummed if they don't do the Tink though since I signed up for the Princess to get the pink Coast to Coast!

I really hope to find out prior to September 12, when tickets go on sale for a concert in New York that will be tough to justify missing out on while I wait for this race to maybe-reopen registration.

Ohhh, what is the concert?

Yeah, at this point I think I'm gonna bow out of the '18 race as well. I've got too much other stuff going on to plan a visit from the east coast just for a race that we can't get any info on. Besides, I just completed Ironman #2 on Sunday and thinking about doing another one in 7 weeks which will claim the pot of money originally reserved for LS. Here's hoping they get things sorted out for Kessel Run '19. :/

Also, I sent an email to rD, not expecting a response b/c they haven't responded to anything asking about Light Side or Tink. My email gave some feedback about how they may have too many races and how they may want to consider getting rid of races that are less popular

Why would you send them such suggestions? there are many people who love those races.

Plus they are pretty clear that they don't take ideas from people for legal reasons.

I thought they were just placating me too...but I was hoping for more. Oh well.

It was a total prefab blurb they sent. Probably coded it as "yet another tink/SW idea email and moved on.

We have seen with the Expedition Everest Challenge that they can take runs away.

And TOT. And the true W&D.

I loved Anabella but it's gone; a nearby motel is BW Stovalls. I've also enjoyed Ramada Plaza. And we stayed at the Country Inn and Suites for this years SW.

What were the disastrous issues? I missed that.

RE: hotels, I've stayed at the Hotel Pepper Tree and the Best Western right near DL. Pepper Tree was a REALLY nice little hotel, I liked it a lot but you can't walk to DL from there. Best Western is decent. Nothing fancy but it's clean and gets the job done. You can walk to the park from there and you can actually watch the half marathon from there (which I did, one year, bc I broke my toe a couple of weeks before the race :().

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter