Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Nope no discount on preorders I mean of course in theory I’m sure some things you could return and rebuy at the expo

I've heard they don't allow that anymore...specifically for the Dooney & Bourke pre-orders, but it's possible it applies to other items as well. Doesn't hurt to ask though!

I have been looking for the Dooney preorder. Did I miss it? We registered stupid early, like in May last year and it wasn't available.

Thanks for any help!

Now, the fans such as the 501st dressed in costume may be a little bit different and may say things like good job, good luck, you're doing great, etc.
I agree - I spent a lot of QT with the 501st during the races and some stayed 100% in character, some were sort of "character-light", and others didn't bother and were really good spectators, lol!

There are 10k registrations available for Dark Side on Active. Even though runDisney shows sold out, click the register button and it’s an option along with the Half and Challenge.

Hi all! I was planning on training for the 10km at W&D this fall, but then when the spots opened up for SW, and I can get cheap airfare, it is feeling like fate... I am likely not as prepared as I would like to be, so it would be more of a fun race than trying to really perform, any advice or thoughts for a relative newbie runner? Wait until I am ready so as to not discourage myself or what the heck, everyone is having fun anyways!

What are the sweep times like? I would likely end up walking for some of it, so want to make sure I am at least able to finish!!

Thanks all!!

Hi and welcome....
What are the sweep times like? I would likely end up walking for some of it, so want to make sure I am at least able to finish!!

!

Pace is a 16 min mile and the pace clock doesn’t start until the last person crosses the start .... was in the front half of the last coral both years and fwiw 2016 I adveraged a 16:08 m/m 1 character stop no balloon lady sightings in 2017 I adveraged a 17 m/m 3 character stops and the balloon ladies passed us while we were in the Canada pavilion of Epcot waiting for said third stop

Hi all! I was planning on training for the 10km at W&D this fall, but then when the spots opened up for SW, and I can get cheap airfare, it is feeling like fate... I am likely not as prepared as I would like to be, so it would be more of a fun race than trying to really perform, any advice or thoughts for a relative newbie runner? Wait until I am ready so as to not discourage myself or what the heck, everyone is having fun anyways!

Thanks all!!

My husband had 2 unexpected surgeries last year right before the Wine and Dine 10k and we ended up walking it at about a 17 minute pace. I dropped back to the last corral with him and we started 2nd wave from the last. We never saw the Balloon Ladies and I'd guestimate we finished about 20 minutes before them. If you can do a decent fast walk you should be ok ;)

My only advice is probably the hardest to follow in all the excitement: Don't start out too fast!

Hi and welcome....

Pace is a 16 min mile and the pace clock doesn’t start until the last person crosses the start .... was in the front half of the last coral both years and fwiw 2016 I adveraged a 16:08 m/m 1 character stop no balloon lady sightings in 2017 I adveraged a 17 m/m 3 character stops and the balloon ladies passed us while we were in the Canada pavilion of Epcot waiting for said third stop

So - what happens if the balloon ladies pass you? Are you swept or can you run ahead of them after the third character stop completes?

So - what happens if the balloon ladies pass you? Are you swept or can you run ahead of them after the third character stop completes?

The balloon ladies (unofficial volunteers basically) are just for visual they don't do the sweeping. Sweeping is done by bike officials. If you are behind pace at certain sweep points you will be picked up. the 16 min/mile pace starts after the last person crosses the start though, so you have some leeway if you start before then.
Here's from the official rundisney site,
"Pace Cyclists will be on the course indicating when runners are behind pace by waving light wands at each mile markers according to the official pace time. If you reach a mile marker with a light wand waving, please note you are behind the required 16-minute-per-mile pace and can be picked up at any time and transported to the Course Pick-Up Tent."

Last edited:

Thanks all!!
If your current fitness level as of today is sufficiently good enough, I think it's possible to finish the Dark Side 10K with training. You may well finish with a very slow time, but it is possible to finish. What I say next depends entirely on whether or not your current fitness level is good enough.

Below is the base model of the Galloway plan for beginners:

30 minutes of running on Tuesday and Thursday followed by a long run on the weekend. When you consistently make the weekly maintenance runs, you sustain the fitness level of your most recent long run for approximately 2-3 weeks. You build up to the necessary distance with a modest increase of 1.5 miles every other weekend in the perfect version of the Galloway plan.

Well we know the perfect version is out the window. So we start where you are. Go for a 2 mile run today or tomorrow. How long does it take to go 2 miles? Are you completely wiped out? Could you have gone longer? How do you feel the next day?

Now, if you can go 2 miles in less than 32 minutes by this Saturday (March 17th), I believe you can increase your long run by 1.5 miles every week and be right in line to finish the Dark Side 10K.

Now you don't have a lot of time to really build your up speed, but if your starting point is good enough or very close, then with consistent training between now and then, it is possible. Don't worry about your speed. Focus on "fast enough" to finish. You can worry about a faster speed for your next race if you want and have more time to train.

My husband had 2 unexpected surgeries last year right before the Wine and Dine 10k and we ended up walking it at about a 17 minute pace. I dropped back to the last corral with him and we started 2nd wave from the last. We never saw the Balloon Ladies and I'd guestimate we finished about 20 minutes before them. If you can do a decent fast walk you should be ok ;)

My only advice is probably the hardest to follow in all the excitement: Don't start out too fast!
Last year during the Dark Side 10K, I was in line for the Emperor's Throne photo op around mile 3. They came by and warned us that the hard sweep was minutes way. They told us when the hard sweep came, we either needed to leave the line and stay with the pack or we could remain in line, get the photo, and be swept. I was 3rd in line when this happened, so I knew I was safe. I did see the hard sweep a few minutes later, but I was well clear of it. One of the balloon ladies did cross the finish line shortly before me when I finished, but I obviously was not swept and finished the Dark Side Challenge the next morning. If you're in danger of being swept, they will warn you and tell you what you must do to avoid being swept.

And the advice about not starting out too fast is perfectly spot on. Run the race you trained to race. Running too fast may wreck your chances to finish or have the race experience you wanted to. I started my very first race out way too fast and nearly injured myself. The entire race was a difficult experience. On every subsequent race, I've started slowly and had a much better race experience.

Yeah! My costumes shipped today! I bought a Darth Vader tank top with a mini cape to wear with a black running skirt for the 10K and a stormtrooper tank for the half. I stillneed to get some arm sleeves.

Yeah! My costumes shipped today! I bought a Darth Vader tank top with a mini cape to wear with a black running skirt for the 10K and a stormtrooper tank for the half. I stillneed to get some arm sleeves.

Do you remember Thunderhead??? Tall. Storm powers. Nice man, good with kids. All was well. Another day saved when his cape snagged on a missile fin!
Metaman - express elevator. Dynaguy - snagged on takeoff. Splashdown - sucked into a vortex...
...no capes!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist...one of my favorite movies!)

My desire to run in costume is arguing with what little free time I have. I may well settle for carrying my lightsaber with my usual training apparel.

Do you remember Thunderhead??? Tall. Storm powers. Nice man, good with kids. All was well. Another day saved when his cape snagged on a missile fin!
Metaman - express elevator. Dynaguy - snagged on takeoff. Splashdown - sucked into a vortex...
...no capes!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist...one of my favorite movies!)
If you've never run with a cape before, do so beforehand. Don't worry about how silly you might look. Better to know exactly what you're in for than get an unwelcome surprise on race day. And since a cape will add an extra layer to your attire and make your costume warmer, make sure you're okay with how that feels before the race.

I ignored the never try something new on race day when I ran as Batman being trained by Yoda for 2017 Avengers. The Yoda backpack was a major pain to run with. I think I was adjusting those backpack straps every 2 minutes or so. One of my "best" race photos with just me in it is marred because the frustration on my face from having to adjust the backpack strap on the same side yet again shows up clearly. Along with my hand adjusting the backpack strap. Had I known how much of a pain it would be, I would have found a real solution that I had time to test before the middle of the race or skipped the idea entirely.

As a side note, I got a really good laugh out of the Pixar video showing random fashion models praise E mostly because The Incredibles makes it so clear that E despises fashion models. I wonder who else saw the irony.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter