Official 2018 HHN-28 Thread

We made the mistake of doing both parks AND HHN on the same day on Sunday the 21st. I did not realize how far the walks to and from the houses would be! #newbiemistake

Upon entering HHN and seeing the wait times at 140min for Stranger Things, we decided to just buy the express pass. $170 per person. Holy smokes! Total ripoff price wise, BUT also totally worth it. I did check other nights and the pass was cheaper, but we were already scanned into the park, and pretty much you’re forced to buy the express pass at that point. I’m not going to wait 140min to get into a haunted house lol.

I think they need to re-do the lines, especially if you have an express pass, most of the houses are in groups, so when you exit one, there should be an express line entrance right to the next house right there. You shouldn’t have to walk 1 mile back to the entrance that runs along the entrance to the next house. Just my 2 cents.

Overall, we got 9 of the 10 houses done on this night. After Seeds of Extinction (which took about 20mins to get into even with Express!) and then another 10-15min to exit because it was SO FAR back there, coupled with how horrible this house was, we skipped Trick R Treat to save another mile round trip of walking since our feet were completely destroyed. Our fitbits clocked almost 17miles of walking this day

We headed to Halloween 4 and ended our night there.

We returned Thursday evening just for HHN, got there right at 7, and headed right to Trick R Treat since that’s the house we missed. Sign said 15min wait but we were in the house within 5 mins. After that we just rode the rides, Gringotts and Mummy a few times each. The rides had little to no wait times up until about 10pm when people started finishing houses. It was weird walking around an almost empty Diagon Alley, but cool at the same time! (Again, Diagon starting filling up closer to 10pm). We also enjoyed walking around thru the scare zones. We also watched the Cyberpunk show which was neat.

Overall HHN was super fun for us first timers.

Things I would want Universal to improve on and/or change:
-cheaper express pass ($170 pp is extreme!)
-quicker entry/exit system to/from houses, especially if you have a express pass. There should be an express pass entry from one house exit to another house entry - since most of the houses are in groups and next to each other

Things I won’t do again:
-go on a weekend night. Thursday night was much calmer than Sunday!!
-try to do both parks during the day + HHN at night. Nope!

Not sure if you noticed ahead of your visit, but the Express Pass is $79-$99 many nights if you buy it when tickets go on sale. One thing I did not like is it went up online this year as time got closer to the event. We were waiting for our work schedule and the night we wanted went up by the time we bought tickets. So I went with a cheaper night!

I personally would like to see an enforced minimum age of 7 years to attend HHN. I think the general recommendation of 13+ is fine, but I know there are some kids under 13 ( mine included) that enjoy the event. It's just sad to see a terrified young child.

The little kids in strollers did seem reallyyyyyy out of place :)-

It is horrible to see kids so young there......we saw strollers and babies being carried, some only months old.....and loads of toddlers...….most not having any fun at all!!

I personally would like to see an enforced minimum age of 7 years to attend HHN. I think the general recommendation of 13+ is fine, but I know there are some kids under 13 ( mine included) that enjoy the event. It's just sad to see a terrified young child.

They should enforce an age.

I`d opt for age 10 at least if they won`t enforce 13......but doubt it will ever happen.

Although we did see an awful lot of children and babies, I can`t see not selling tickets to that age group would affect Universal that much....so it`s not money.

I personally enjoy an event that is child free now and again.....

Just back ourselves - went Wed and Thurs night on the BOGO tic. Great time! We didn't have express, but managed to do all houses except Halloween - and most of them 2x.

We did Stay and Scream both nights - and thanks to that, waited just 15 min for Poltergeist first thing Wed, just 20 min for Stranger Things when we got in line 5 min before the 1am closing that night. Then did Stranger Things again on Thurs - just a 30 min wait (got to 1st Finnegan's corral by 4pm to swing that one!) (I did wish we could have seen Poltergeist a 2nd time, but the waits were too long.)

Loved the energy and fun of Vamp85 - kept looking for Freddy there, as I love Queen, but no luck. He seemed MIA both nights.

Loved Killer Clowns...we grabbed beer for me and coffee for DH and sat near the Starbucks for about an hour and just relaxed/people watched there - hilarious!

Only house we didn't see was Halloween - just couldn't get the timing right on that one...it was always a long wait and we just didn't feel like spending that much time in line. But everything else was a 10-30 min wait max both nights for us.

Best thing we did was to hit the headliner from Finnegan's corral, then head straight to the back of park - those houses were all 5-15 min wait times, then working around to the ET area houses. Then people watched and relaxed from 8pm onward to near closing.

My one complaint - everytime we found a place to sit and relax, people would come up near us and start smoking - which always seemed to blow our way. Each time, we tried to find a TM that could ask them to move to a smoking area, as we didn't really want to confront people directly but never could find anyone. Unfortunately, my DH is highly allergic, as he has asthma, so he really suffers around cigarette smoke, so that was very frustrating.

Did anyone else think Stranger Things could have been a bit longer/bigger house, given it's huge popularity? Felt a bit short, compared to some of the others.

But such a great event this year! Amazing time!!!

My son was 7 when he went to his first hhn. He loved it so much that this year was his fifth year attending.

I saw multiple women with children that were under 1 at this years hhn. Granted the babies dont understand what is happening, but the sound level in the houses are to loud for a developing child ears.

We went to HHN last night and had a lot of fun, but man 10 houses was a lot! The walking back and forth to SOE and Trick or Treat was longgggggg. And we hike a lot:)- I think I would rather 7/8 houses done really well than 10 with 2 really good ones. Lines were 60 minutes-2 hours without express.

We have been going to HHN since 2004. I really liked Poltergeist and Stranger Things was good. The props in Carnival of Carnage were great, but the characters were Meh. Dead Waters was better last year. Trick or Treat and Slaughter Cinema were pretty good. I like when they do real movies like All Night Die In (still one of my favorites to date!) instead of the campy fake ones. Cute though.

The crowd was a lot of families. Past crowds were much rowdier and drunker. Houses used to be much more violent and gross too. Only Scary Tales was a bit gorey (Hansel ang Gretel.) I like this crowd better though. It was always sad to see people puking in garbage cans and falling down drunk!

Stayed at Sapphire Falls-really nice!

There were some death marches in the tenthouse area for sure!

Can’t say I’ve seen any hurling at U in general but will give them props of sort for a least seeking out a garbage can

The lines i’ve Seen at gate are so long, wouldn’t want to be in one & have even longer wait while someone’s kid was ‘carded’. Maybe if they set up a separate line or directed people to GS but don’t think U would want to get into verifying birth certificates or passports.

My son was 7 when he went to his first hhn. He loved it so much that this year was his fifth year attending.

I saw multiple women with children that were under 1 at this years hhn. Granted the babies dont understand what is happening, but the sound level in the houses are to loud for a developing child ears.

Babies startle easily, lights & sound. It’s not the place for them. You could make a case that a parent carrying an infant in a darkened house with jump scares galore (not to mention propensity for some guests to grab onto other’s backs or push in line) is dangerous. I did observe an adult being told to set his young daughter ? Down out of his arms before he entered house. She was not amused but was still drug into the house...not cool.

we're thinking of going next year after our Disney cruise. Is the last weekend of it still super crowded even if it's after Halloween?

We just got back from our trip - going from the 30th to Nov 6th, so the last weekend of HHN. We thought both Friday and Saturday were pretty crowded. We did stay & scream and then the RIP tour, so we've managed to see all of the houses. The waits were pretty long the whole time we were there. I would say that by the time Saturday hit - the last party we went to - I was done lol! I had never been knocked into so much in my whole life. On Saturday, I got hit in the head in the Stranger Things house (by a group behind me) and knocked into twice (by teens running from chainsaws) - the second time I was hit, it knocked the wind out of me.

I took my son to this event (and we went last year). He's 12, almost 13. I wish that there was an age limit or it would be required for a parent or guardian to be with kids/teens at the event.

I might be in the minority here, but after thinking about this years event compared to the last 6 we have gone to. I want more scariness. I feel that the 1st several years we attended delivered on the scariness.

I want to be scared. I would like scarier houses; more blood and guts. More scarier scare zones; most of this years zones were not scary. I got some good scares in the pumpkin area, but that was it. Not all the houses and scare zone have to be terrifying, bloody and nasty. Just more of them.

I like the more adult vibe, more PG-13. I love Stranger Things, I thought the house was very good. It was just not scary. I do not care if they go back to fewer houses, just more scare. We saw so many young children this year, it made the whole vibe seem less scary. Again not all the houses need to be gory but I like the scare.

Bill and Ted's show was more of a rated R feel. I wish they would bring back a show like that. I really enjoyed Academy of Villains, but to me it was not Villainous. There was superb dancing, acrobatics and a great story.

I understand that by bringing in Stranger Things IP that US is broadening their audience and therefore bringing in more ticket sales. This season seemed much more crowded on Wed and Thurs nights than previous years.

I expressed my thoughts with a CM and she was super nice. She listed to my concerns and said she would pass them on. I participated in the e-mail survey's after the event.

I am sure that there are HHN participants that are happy with this years tamer version and some that are not. The good thing is that the event is so well done that it keeps us coming back year after year.

I might be in the minority here, but after thinking about this years event compared to the last 6 we have gone to. I want more scariness. I feel that the 1st several years we attended delivered on the scariness.

I want to be scared. I would like scarier houses; more blood and guts. More scarier scare zones; most of this years zones were not scary. I got some good scares in the pumpkin area, but that was it. Not all the houses and scare zone have to be terrifying, bloody and nasty. Just more of them.

I like the more adult vibe, more PG-13. I love Stranger Things, I thought the house was very good. It was just not scary. I do not care if they go back to fewer houses, just more scare. We saw so many young children this year, it made the whole vibe seem less scary. Again not all the houses need to be gory but I like the scare.

Bill and Ted's show was more of a rated R feel. I wish they would bring back a show like that. I really enjoyed Academy of Villains, but to me it was not Villainous. There was superb dancing, acrobatics and a great story.

I understand that by bringing in Stranger Things IP that US is broadening their audience and therefore bringing in more ticket sales. This season seemed much more crowded on Wed and Thurs nights than previous years.

I expressed my thoughts with a CM and she was super nice. She listed to my concerns and said she would pass them on. I participated in the e-mail survey's after the event.

I am sure that there are HHN participants that are happy with this years tamer version and some that are not. The good thing is that the event is so well done that it keeps us coming back year after year.

You make some interesting points. Good idea to pass your thoughts on via the various surveys.

It’s obvious that U increased their customer base acquiring ST. However, i don’t really feel the other houses were less scary than prior years. Being ‘scared’ is a subjective experience.

I agree the scarezones were a bit off, other than the 80’s Vamp area & the Killer Klowns who were stellar with their interaction if you hit it right. Always nice to meet interesting people with chainsaws :)

Not sure how many nights you attended. Have found over the years that you discover more details (scary and otherwise) as you do repeat visits through the houses. Timing is everything. If you miss the jump scares, a stellar room can ‘just’ be average. Same goes for what team of scareactors and how well they have their timing down.

Guts & blood with chainsaws tossed heavily into the mix are important components but I appreciate the houses that are a bit more subtle, yet still terrifying. I certainly don’t expect U to switch streams & dumb down the event to cater to children.

This year was leaps & bounds above last year’s offering in my opinion. I hope they manage to up their game again next year!

Totally agree - unfortunately I think this was the most successful HHN and I would guess they wont mess with that. In the end if you want scary you need to go to the local non-corporate houses - it seems to be HHN is more about the details and less about the scare - but it is hard to enjoy the details (or be scared) when it is a conga line.

Also all though fun I cant say there were many scares at all at the scare zones - unlike previous years where you constantly saw people loosing their cool - that was just not the same this year.

I'll still go back next year - but it does seem to be changing

You make some interesting points. Good idea to pass your thoughts on via the various surveys.

It’s obvious that U increased their customer base acquiring ST. However, i don’t really feel the other houses were less scary than prior years. Being ‘scared’ is a subjective experience.

I agree the scarezones were a bit off, other than the 80’s Vamp area & the Killer Klowns who were stellar with their interaction if you hit it right. Always nice to meet interesting people with chainsaws :)

Not sure how many nights you attended. Have found over the years that you discover more details (scary and otherwise) as you do repeat visits through the houses. Timing is everything. If you miss the jump scares, a stellar room can ‘just’ be average. Same goes for what team of scareactors and how well they have their timing down.

Guts & blood with chainsaws tossed heavily into the mix are important components but I appreciate the houses that are a bit more subtle, yet still terrifying. I certainly don’t expect U to switch streams & dumb down the event to cater to children.

This year was leaps & bounds above last year’s offering in my opinion. I hope they manage to up their game again next year!

We attended 4 nights this year with an RIP tour one night. Wed-Sat with RIP on Thurs.

I agree that going into the houses more than once can change your experience. We went through all the houses 3-4 times each. Your totally right about scareactors and timing.

Scariness is subjective, I totally get that. What scares me could be different from what scares others.

I appreciate your thoughts and perspective. I am still looking forward to many HHN's to come.

Totally agree - unfortunately I think this was the most successful HHN and I would guess they wont mess with that. In the end if you want scary you need to go to the local non-corporate houses - it seems to be HHN is more about the details and less about the scare - but it is hard to enjoy the details (or be scared) when it is a conga line.

Also all though fun I cant say there were many scares at all at the scare zones - unlike previous years where you constantly saw people loosing their cool - that was just not the same this year.

I'll still go back next year - but it does seem to be changing

Thanks for your response and thoughts!

I loved the 1st few years of HHN's scariness. It was a great blend of details and being scared in the houses and all around the park.

I like the conga line, the security and no-crawling in super tight spaces. The set up of HHN houses is just perfect for me.

I think your right about the popularity of this years HHN. We do love it and will keep coming, I am just hoping for more "scariness".

Definitely. DH and I often recalled as we toured each house this year how much more rudimentary the houses were back in the mid/late '90s and even early 00s. Don't get me wrong...the events were great back then with plenty of bloody, gory (and sometimes horribly smelly!) haunts. But there were lots of black walls, curtains and reliance on jump scares...NOTHING like the intricate and elegant set detail UO pulls off now. Even little things like detailed sconces for lighting and period furnishings I saw in the houses blew me away. Incredible set dressing effort for a temporary 2-3 month event.

Did anyone go to Howl 'O Scream in Tampa this year? If so, could you share your opinions? I know it's nothing compared to HHN, but just curious if you felt it was more "R" rated vs more kid friendly. Did they have scare zones? Were the houses themed well? I've never been and was curious. I can check what the FB crowd says, but I prefer the opinions of the folks on DIS much more! :-)

Did anyone go to Howl 'O Scream in Tampa this year? If so, could you share your opinions? I know it's nothing compared to HHN, but just curious if you felt it was more "R" rated vs more kid friendly. Did they have scare zones? Were the houses themed well? I've never been and was curious. I can check what the FB crowd says, but I prefer the opinions of the folks on DIS much more! :-)

I didn't go this year but I have been to Howl O Scream. It's a joke. You'll only want to go there if you want to ride the coasters at night, not to do the scarezones and houses. None of the houses have any ounce of scare to them, neither do the scarezones. I find Howl O Scream to be MUCH more kid friendly compared to HHN.

Howl O Scream also doesn't get any of the cool IP's. So they do all original houses which is another thing they lack compared to HHN. I want to walk through the Stranger Things set or feel like I'm in a house with Michael Myers. The Howl O Scream houses feel such low budget and thrown together in a day or two vs HHN.

Once you've done HHN, Howl O Scream will seem like a waste of money. Unless, like I said, you're going for the rides. Which in that case, I would just go to Busch Gardens during a regular park day and ride. I don't go to HHN for the rides, I go for the houses and scarezone..So it's the same at Busch Gardens.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy their coasters and Busch Gardens is a perfectly fine amusement park, but their Halloween event is laughable

We were at hhn for the first time and we were not impressed - it was also our first u oversaw trip and was not impressed at all - it was a one and done for us

Thanks CAS239: very helpful review - appreciate it. I was debating trying it next year. Don't think I'll bother.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter