"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did the double - DAH on 1/26 and the DVC Moonlight Sunday 1/28. Now DVC was much, much bigger event. No question. But the rain and forecast of rain kept smaller. Here are some quick observations

DAH was truly empty - mental picture of walking in Frontierland with no one in sight. Ice cream and popcorn was plentiful (Ice cream at Moonlight was in the back of the park only). I mentioned to my now 21 year old DD - we had gone after 9/11, in Feb. And it was this empty on a middle of the week day time.

Wait times were a push - maybe Moonlight was better on certain rides. But the rain was a huge factor. Moonlight had characters galore and unique ones. Moonlight was more like a WDW party night with free food. Saw 90 minutes on MDE for the princess meets for example. DAH was a ride a palooza for sure.

We went to MK Monday morning after Moonlight (yeah we crashed at 1am) and realized just how spoiled doing DAH and Moonlight - what do you mean we have to wait? Why are all of these people here? No free ice cream? I can't go again on Thunder??

Oh OK! I was thinking they had only been released up until March. I was thinking the rest of the year would be released as the year goes.

Yeah, 2017 & 2018 dates were/are only Jan-Early March. Could be wrong, but I highly suspect that this will be it for the year, just like last year.

Yeah, 2017 & 2018 dates were/are only Jan-Early March. Could be wrong, but I highly suspect that this will be it for the year, just like last year.

Awesome! Thanks!

To be honest I hadn't paid much attention to the dates until now. I did notice that the morning magic hours (or whatever those are called) have been released all the way till July. I was thinking both events went all year through. Learn something new every day!

Terrible news everyone! I downloaded the update to the new MDE app last night to check out the mobile ordering for dining plan, and there's ads on the front page now. Who cares you say? Well they are advertising DAH and have direct links in the app to being able to buy tickets now! I'm being a bit facetious here, but I didn't want Disney telling people more than they already do about this event, I want a non sold-out night! :rotfl2:

Terrible news everyone! I downloaded the update to the new MDE app last night to check out the mobile ordering for dining plan, and there's ads on the front page now. Who cares you say? Well they are advertising DAH and have direct links in the app to being able to buy tickets now! I'm being a bit facetious here, but I didn't want Disney telling people more than they already do about this event, I want a non sold-out night! :rotfl2:
I think that ad has been there for awhile. At least on my app it has been.

I know reading on this thread about everything that everyone was able to do during DAH was what made me decide to purchase tickets, so here is what our night was like:

From 6:15pm to 8:00pm -
People Mover
Dinner at Cosmic Ray's
FP for Dumbo
Meet Donald, Goofy, Daisy and Minnie
FP for Barnstormer

From 8:00pm to 11:00pm -
Tomorrowland Speedway
Snacks
Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear
Mad Tea Party
Pooh
Seven Dwarfs
Under the Sea
Snacks
Magic Carpets x2
Pirates
Big Thunder
Snacks
Haunted Mansion
Snacks
Peter Pan
Seven Dwarfs
Pirates
Tiki Room

So 16 attractions during the 3 hour event, 5 before, and lots of snacks totally made it worthwhile for us. Frankly, it is going to be awhile before I want another Mickey ice cream sandwich! I also loved how everyone seemed so happy, but I also wasn't anywhere near the poor folks who got stuck on People Mover.

Actually speaking of rides breaking down, seems like an awful lot of rides are breaking down. During first DAH, Pirates broke down. Last night it was People Mover and somebody mentioned Pooh was closed..

Is this common for Disney? I wouldn't know, but it doesn't seem like this percentage of rides are breaking down during the day . Does it seem like more rides are breaking down later in the evening?

I was the one who mentioned Pooh was closed on 1/30. I don’t think it was for long though. The cast member said something about it being just a few minutes but we weren’t willing to wait.

NOOOOOOOO!

Is it too soon to laugh at that for those poor folks last night? :rotfl2:

I too would buy that shirt! It's one of my all time faves and I've never been stuck on it, but I think I would be scared if it were stopped in the really dark part, lol!:eek:

I want that shirt!

I was talking over plans for DAH with my daughter. She is not a big planner (takes after her dad) so its hard to engage her in my planning insanity. She did ask NOT to do HM. The only 2 times she has been on it, she got stuck in the graveyard (not for crazy amounts of time, but long enough for the popping up heads to kinda freak her out). She didn't make a big deal of it at the time (she is, after all, a teenager, not a little kid) but I don't think she'll be doing that ride again if she can help it.

She also wants to watch the fireworks from the hub - I've been leaning towards doing BTMRR or Barnstormer during fireworks so that we don't get bogged down in crowds, but she knows I've never seen the fireworks from the front (she has), so she thinks we should do that. We can make a call that night, depending on how the crowds are and when we get into the park. I'm in town that week for work so we won't get to the park until 6:45 or 7.

Sorry for the delay in sharing my DAH night. This was a solo trip using a scooter to get around. I really had a good time. This was my first trip having an AP. I spent the morning at the 2 Character warehouses at the outlets, so I got to the MK about 4pm. I had a FP for the Haunted Mansion and then went to the Skipper Canteen for my 4:55 ADR. After dinner, which was yummy, I made my way over to the Liberty Square Guest Relations office and picked up my lanyard. Now at this point I could really notice the temperature getting colder. Using a scooter, my legs were really feeling it. I had forgotten to put on my thermals. So I looked on the Shop Disney Parks app for any throws or blankets that were for sale at MK (sweatpants not an option as I am a bit Pooh-sized). In an ironic twist, the only place that had what I needed was the Emporium on Main Street (the place I wanted to most avoid). *sigh* I decided to brave the fireworks crowd to get my fleece throw. While it was a hassle trying to maneuver in the store, I was successful and as soon as I was out of the store I immediately wrapped the blanket around my legs. Now off to use my last FP before DAH started: Jungle Cruise and POTC. I survived both of those seagoing excursions without incident. It was a few minutes before DAH and HEA. Going against the stream of people making their way to the front of the park, I made why way to BTMRR. At this point, I have my headlight on plus the added LED lights on the front basket and caneholder in the back. Still a few people nearly ran into me because they had noses in their phones. I would just stop and wait for them to realize what they were doing. Happy to report no casualties or fatalities. I got to BTMRR with a few moments to spare. The young ladies working the handicap entrance were great (sent a compliment in for them). I was able ride once and noticed that a few areas were “plussed” since my April trip. The ride also seemed faster since my last trip, but it was probably because I rode it during the day last time. I immediately got back in line as it was almost fireworks time. Timed it perfectly! Fireworks went off just as we were climbing the first outdoor hill. So I’m counting this as my first DAH ride of the evening. After getting off the ride, watched the fireworks with a few cast members. After the finale, it was DAH time! I really had no plan, except to avoid lines. So here’s how it went:

Big Thunder Mountain RR (during HEA)
Haunted Mansion
Mickey bar and coke
Carousel
Under the sea
Was going to ride Pooh but it was down. As I drove away, the cast member said it was up again.
Barnstormer
Dumbo
At this point my scooter started show signs of needing a charge, so I made my way to Tomorrowland to go to the power station. My plan was to ride the Peoplemover and Buzz, which would allow for my scooter to charge up about 15-20 minutes. However, Peoplemover was down. Cast member said it closed at 8pm. Could’ve sworn it was one of the rides that was supposed to be running. (Now I know the real story from other posts).
Buzz x2 (didn’t get off - not one of faves but needed to let scooter charge)
Winnie the Pooh
Seven dwarves (@ 5 min wait)
Pan x2 (off and back on)
Haunted mansion

It was about 10:55pm at this point, so I made my way to BTMRR to see if I could get one more ride. Alas the last train came in just as I arrived. Said my good night to the young ladies there and started to exit the park. I stopped in front of the castle to get pictures done. That was longest line (time-wise) of the night. Kiss goodnight occurred while in line. Had fun with the photographer and then made may way down Main Street. Fearing the ride back to the Boardwalk, I called the accessible Minnie Van to pick me up. Not sure if it would have taken less time or not, but was not looking forward to being on my scooter in a crowded bus. I made it back a little after midnight. Overall, it was a really enjoyable night!

I want that shirt!

I was talking over plans for DAH with my daughter. She is not a big planner (takes after her dad) so its hard to engage her in my planning insanity. She did ask NOT to do HM. The only 2 times she has been on it, she got stuck in the graveyard (not for crazy amounts of time, but long enough for the popping up heads to kinda freak her out). She didn't make a big deal of it at the time (she is, after all, a teenager, not a little kid) but I don't think she'll be doing that ride again if she can help it.

She also wants to watch the fireworks from the hub - I've been leaning towards doing BTMRR or Barnstormer during fireworks so that we don't get bogged down in crowds, but she knows I've never seen the fireworks from the front (she has), so she thinks we should do that. We can make a call that night, depending on how the crowds are and when we get into the park. I'm in town that week for work so we won't get to the park until 6:45 or 7.

I got stuck once on HM but it was at the ballroom scene, so it actually was pretty cool to be able to really take in the detail, although not for too long where the coolness factor would turn into impatience! That section of Peoplemover is sooo dark! I would need to use my phone light if I were stuck for too long, however battery power is so precious, lol!

The fireworks are a tough one...are you an 8pm start or a 9pm - I think that would make a difference for me. This trip was just my DD and I for a dance trip, so DH and DS were at home. DD and I were also debating, but we're coming back as a family in April so it made the decision easier. We decided to do BTMR during the fireworks for this trip so not to waste the precious DAH time, and save HEA for when we're all together in April. If we didn't have the trip in April coming, I don't know if we would have made the same choice??

However, having said that...we timed ourselves so we were at BTMR right at 7:50pm. We rode it 3xs during HEA and it was absolutely fabulous and magical and amazing! It felt like the fireworks were going off just for you! pixiedust: There were still a few people there - it definitely wasn't empty, but quiet enough to get on for the 3 rides! Tough choice but at least win/win! I agree crowd size could factor in...

However, having said that...we timed ourselves so we were at BTMR right at 7:50pm. We rode it 3xs during HEA and it was absolutely fabulous and magical and amazing! It felt like the fireworks were going off just for you! pixiedust:

The last time I went to MK was with a couple of disneyphile work friends (we were in town for work) so we went just for the evening. Did BTMRR during the fireworks and it completely rocked. So much fun! I would do that again in a heartbeat, but I don't know what I'm missing, either. DD saw it from the front of the park, and said it was fantastic, so it would be new for her to be closer to the hub.

Our DAH night is an 8pm start (glad because I have to work in the morning, but not glad because fireworks conflict with DAH much more). No plans for a future family trip (and if there were, it would include my little one - who is a trooper during the day but turns into a pumpkin at about 7:30, making fireworks etc. difficult, at least for the next couple of years).

We will just make a call that night - I had originally booked a dessert party for that night, but cancelled it in favor of flexibility. Its next week (YAY!!!) and hopefully the fireworks crowd will be manageable.

It looks like if we watch from the garden in front of Casey's it wouldn't be too difficult to scoot over into Adventureland, right?

Hi all!
We're back from a crazy 3 days. DAH was AMAZING!
Got to the park at 6:00 and caught the tail end of a parade? I've never seen it before then headed to Fantasyland. Tried to use the lanyard as a FP but it was a no go..I think others are correct that they might let it slide closer to 8:00 :) We used our FP for 7D and Haunted mansion and went in to see Philharmagic.
We lost some time going back to Caseys to eat but were very lucky to have a CM make a way for us through the waves of people exiting the park after fireworks! Yikes! It would have taken us a ton of time if it wasn't for him!! Then the party began!!
We rode all pretty much as a walk on except for 7D.
Peter Pan
Dumbo
Space 3 x (almost rode the PM after but noticed it was down-sorry for those folks)
Speedway 2x
Orbiter
Big Thunder 4x (the longest we waited was for a the group in front of us to load)
Small world
Pooh
7D 2x We were on the last train to ride. The line said 30 when we walked up shy of 11 but it was less than 5.
We had a ton of ice cream and popcorn and stopped a bunch of times for bathroom breaks and pictures. It was our neighbor/friend's first time at Disney so we took our time with stuff :)

This party was definitely more crowded than last years for us but it's still empty in my eyes! Absolutely worth every penny!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0808 (1).jpg
    IMG_0808 (1).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0824 (1).jpg
    IMG_0824 (1).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0852 (1).jpg
    IMG_0852 (1).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 66
That must have been the end of the Move It, Shake It Dance Party. They dance in the Hub, then ride back on their floats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter