Official 2017 D23 Expo Thread

For Epcot, its not a cup runneth over, its a mixed bag. Meaning, one attraction is gained in FW E&W that replaces an existing attraction for a net gain of zero and one restaurant is gained. No additional attractions filling empty spaces. And, the additional country that everyone hoped for did not appear.

This was such a fun thread to follow along with! Lots of things to be excited about. I'm glad the new rides are a mix of family and thrill rides--something for everyone! 2021 feels very far away but it's really not. Can't wait to see it all!

I'm surprised there is so much negativity with the additions and changes. Disney just threw a haymaker at Universal and it landed square on the chin. Yeah the prices will increase and they always do, but the crowds still come. To think they had room for Tron and were able to still keep the Speedway is amazing. Ratatouille coming to Paris and really not losing any of it's space, WOW! And finally getting a Mickey stand alone ride, the only one in all of the parks is simply incredible. I for one will work Xtra hours and save up for this when it opens. My heart is pounding with excitement...
I'm not!! This is DIS, after all... ;) But I think most ARE happy. Just further proof that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Personally, the announcements exceeded my expectations. I've followed all the rumors and there was more here that those. Looking forward to EVERYTHING, though we will miss GMR.

People have thrown around "discoveryland" on different threads and I think it'd work. Discover the world (the land), the seas (nemo) communication (SSE) space (guardians/mission space) and automotive tech (test track). It works

That was the name that was used in the Project Gemeni plans that would have totally reimagined EPCOT

Since I'm a "hope for the best but plan for the worst" type of person... anyone worried that any of these additions are in jeopardy IF there's a change in leadership and Iger actually retires this time?

Last edited:
Based on this image, am I the only one seeing a hedge maze to the left?

Good call - I definitely see it by where the Land pavilion is

Though I noticed in the presentation this was referred to as a "blue sky" concept art - so the reality may be very different

Before you throw out snarky comments, keep this in mind. Disney wants to make money. If attendance is down, due to higher ticket prices, Disney isn't going to just settle for what they get, they will raise prices to make up for lost revenue. So the folks that remain after the fella doesn't go because he doesn't want to mortgage his house will be paying even more.

:worship:

Thank you...because the snark is ridiculous..

These moves are part of a bigger agenda...it's about where the money comes from to get investment funds to buy disney stock. It's not about them meeting "guest demand" and it's not boiled down to obeying the microEcon curve.

Again...people should have a clue before they ever tell someone to not worry about the cost.

For Epcot, its not a cup runneth over, its a mixed bag. Meaning, one attraction is gained in FW E&W that replaces an existing attraction for a net gain of zero and one restaurant is gained. No additional attractions filling empty spaces. And, the additional country that everyone hoped for did not appear.

Ratatouille is a net gain of one though - that isn't replacing anything

Since I'm a "hope for the best but plan for the worst" type of person... anyone worried that any of these additions are in jeopardy IF there's a change in leadership and Iger actually retires this time?

It's certainly possible - though over did a lot to make the board and shareholders happy (i.e. Lowering s costs, maximizing profits) and they are still now going with this plan. Anything is possible but would be surprised in the next CEO is even more austere than Iger - so could be even more positive if they bring in an even more creative leader. Disney generally is run best with a creative visionary in the lead with a strong finance person as their partner/2nd

I'm a little confused by the new theater that was announced for Magic Kingdom. Supposedly it will be on/adjacent to Main Street, but I'm confused about what that means and where it will be. I know I missed 90% of the posts today, but does anyone have info on where this will be and what it is replacing?

Speculation is that the theatre will be on the east side of Main Street in what currently is a backstage area. Here's an image that DanBoris posted on the dedicated new theatre thread:

possible-mk-theatre-location.jpg

Link to that thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-theater-comes-to-walt-disney-world.3618409/

Here's a link to Bing Maps with the location highlighted (in "Bird's Eye" view): https://binged.it/2vqs3Ni

Wait what is happening to Paradise Pier? Pixar Pier? What about screaming and the swings? Also is pixar code for Toy Story? The Pier is one of my favorite areas in all Disney parks and i really hope they don't ruin it...

They didn't have a ton of details other than that Paradise Pier is becoming Pixar Pier with one concept image of the entrance area

The brought out John Lasseter for it though so if he is directly involved I assume this would be more than a quick paint job

Before you throw out snarky comments, keep this in mind. Disney wants to make money. If attendance is down, due to higher ticket prices, Disney isn't going to just settle for what they get, they will raise prices to make up for lost revenue. So the folks that remain after the fella doesn't go because he doesn't want to mortgage his house will be paying even more.

That is true - Disney wants to maximize revenues - be that $1 from billion people or $1,000,000 from one person

But the money for all these improvements have to come from somewhere and they need to show the parks on their own make money to get funds for these investments

That is why I never have issues with the extra cost events (paid extra hours, VIP tours, dessert parties, etc) - the more extra money they can get from people that have it the less they have to increase the baseline ticket ... though I know that will still increase some and impacts how often we can go as a family (though all the new stuff impacts how often we was to go as well)

There's already been several versions of illuminations...maybe you don't feel like actually looking at the design or what is there?

And maybe you make too many excuses for the masters?

This started because you indicated: "I can't see mgm from there"...that is patently wrong.

Thanks, makes sense. Seems like if it's at CBR, seeing HS fireworks will be much less impressive than EPCOT.

Found the screen shot of their presentation map. It's in the treees on the north side of CBR, right on top of EPCOT's works showcase, behind Germany/Africa. It's a LONG way to HS. I'm sure you'll see them, you'll see EPCOT's a lot better.

Nope! Sorry, keep being argumentative. Please don't make up things I didn't say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter