• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

Does the 16 min/mile pace requirement start with the last corral? Or do they monitor it for all corrals?

It starts with the last corral. Technically, according to their published rules, Disney could DQ anyone who runs slower than that from an earlier corral, but I have never seen that happen and do not ever expect to. As long as you're ahead of the balloon ladies, who start last in the last corral and run a 16 min/mile pace, you'll be just fine.

Does the 16 min/mile pace requirement start with the last corral? Or do they monitor it for all corrals?

It's a few minutes after the last corral.

There are about 4 sweep points along the route (not sure where on this new path).

But the balloon folks will tell you if you're close and as long as you're ahead of them, you're gold.

I have done something to my left knee. Ugh!!! I was running yesterday and at about mile 3 it started really bothering me, so I stopped. I can feel it twinge when I walk around at work and it hurt to bend it when I slept last night. I guess I will rest and hope for the best. I did 15 last Friday (my last really long run), so I should finish, but I really wanted to finish out my plan as I approach the race. I am in corral D, so I can walk the race if I have to, but I really want to run.
I would say rest and don't worry about it. Personally, I find the Galloway programs make you overtrain. When I've used them in the past I've ended up hurting something (my IT, knee etc). You did 15, it's a huge accomplishment! Taking a week or so off won't hurt. As my favorite running partner tells me, just relax and you'll be fine.

It starts with the last corral. Technically, according to their published rules, Disney could DQ anyone who runs slower than that from an earlier corral, but I have never seen that happen and do not ever expect to. As long as you're ahead of the balloon ladies, who start last in the last corral and run a 16 min/mile pace, you'll be just fine.
When we did Disneyland my running partner hurt her hip and we ended up finishing before the ballon ladies but outside of a 16 min mi. We still got our coast-to-coast medal without any problems

I would say rest and don't worry about it. Personally, I find the Galloway programs make you overtrain. When I've used them in the past I've ended up hurting something (my IT, knee etc). You did 15, it's a huge accomplishment! Taking a week or so off won't hurt. As my favorite running partner tells me, just relax and you'll be fine.

I second this. I've suffered from annoying knee issues off and on for the last few years. I took 2 weeks off before the Star Wars half earlier this year and was just fine. My own personal motto has been I'd rather go in a little bit under prepared than a lot injured.

Personally, I find the Galloway programs make you overtrain.

How so? I thought Galloway was a more relaxed than some others I've glanced at (like Higdon), and I'd be interested to get some feedback from more experienced runners.

Edit: I will add I did have to work through a number of injuries last year while doing Galloway for Star Wars in January. (Started running about a year ago.) But, I've added some more aggressive strength training and flexibility, and so far that has made a big difference.

Personally, I think Galloway puts too much emphasis on the long runs. He has you do super short weekday runs and then really long runs (topping out at 14 for the half and 26 for the marathon). I did use a Galloway plan for my first half and finished it (though I crapped out on my 14-miler due to ITB pain).

Nowadays I like Higdon better because he spreads the mileage more evenly throughout the week, and that seems to be a better approach for me. :confused3

I love Galloway because I don't have time for more mileage during the work week. It has worked great for me. I have completed 8 half marathons using the Galloway method and have never hit the 14 mile mark in training. I normally top off at 12.5, sometimes 13.1 if I use a race as a training run.

This is why there are so many different plans out there. No one approach is best for everyone. :)

I do love Galloway because I don't have time for long runs during the week. Training for a full I injured my IT and found it's the length of the training plan that gets. My body just prefers a 10-12 wk plan that steadily increases with an off week or two rather than up and down long runs.

And totally agree with rose lark - usually top out around 11 or 12 and make the a actual race "part of training".

Last edited:
I have done something to my left knee. Ugh!!! I was running yesterday and at about mile 3 it started really bothering me, so I stopped. I can feel it twinge when I walk around at work and it hurt to bend it when I slept last night. I guess I will rest and hope for the best. I did 15 last Friday (my last really long run), so I should finish, but I really wanted to finish out my plan as I approach the race. I am in corral D, so I can walk the race if I have to, but I really want to run.

FWIW - I have had two issues that had similar symptoms - patellar tendon and IT problems. Both times I rested it for a bit, bought a Mueller strap (or the generic brand my local running store had), and never had problems again. For both issues I think my first short run with the strap it was still sore but not as bad. My second run with it, the pain was gone. I can't speak highly enough for the straps. If you are still having problems closer to the race that might be a way to make it through the race.

How so? I thought Galloway was a more relaxed than some others I've glanced at (like Higdon), and I'd be interested to get some feedback from more experienced runners.

Edit: I will add I did have to work through a number of injuries last year while doing Galloway for Star Wars in January. (Started running about a year ago.) But, I've added some more aggressive strength training and flexibility, and so far that has made a big difference.

I think Higdon is generally used for those trying to go faster, or for a more advanced training plan. Galloway is a plan that is easier for most newer runners to swallow, and/or run walkers. Neither is a bad plan by any means, it is just all about what works for your schedule and what you feel comfortable with. Personally, I look at multiple plans online and then make my own using those as a guide and meshing techniques that I have found to be the most helpful in the past. I also tend to do a shorter training plan, so Galloway is too long for me. It would wear out my spirit lol. I do get burned out though. And I live in Ohio so weather is also an issue. For my first half I ran up to only 9 miles prior and finished absolutely fine. I think I did 10-12 for the half in January. So doing the 15 or 17 or whatever it goes up to isn't totally necessary as long as you feel comfortable.

I started on the Galloway program, but slightly altered it based on work and travel schedule. Im running my first half, but the program was very easy to follow and I felt very helpful to acclimate me to the longer distances.

Im doing the UCF Storm the campus 10 miler as part of my training for the Dark Side Half this Sunday. Any other locals running in that event?

I do love Galloway because I don't have time for long runs during the week. Training for a full I injured my IT and found it's the length of the training plan that gets. My body just prefers a 10-12 wk plan that steadily increases with an off week or two rather than up and down long runs.

And totally agree with rose lark - usually top out around 11 or 12 and make the a actual race "part of training".

That's a good point about the up and down long runs. It seems Galloway stretches the increases into two weeks, rather than the "10% a week" standard you always read about. That may have been something I responded negatively to last year.

For Dark Side, I kept the 45 min weekday runs, and used the 10% standard to calculate the weekend runs, which will cap at 6/12 miles this week before I taper. It started on Valentine's (because I had to give a strained calf time to heel up after Light Side), and it's been really good so far.

I just discovered the Star Wars dessert party is available during the half marathon weekend. Is anyone else doing this? Our reservation is for 8:15. Wondering how early to show up and how long it lasts. I already signed up but trying to figure out timing. Thanks!

March Training Report

So, this is the last full month report before the Dark Side races, so how did everyone do? Do you feel ready yet? Only two weeks to go now!

I'm feeling just okay at this point. Although I completed every training run but one this last month, I'm still not at a point where I am confident that my goal half marathon pace is achievable. That being said, I know I can run for at least 8-10 miles at my goal pace, and I assume the race will give me additional motivation, so we will see how it goes.

Total Miles: 211.3 miles
Total Time: 31:58:06
Average Pace: 9:05/mi

I just discovered the Star Wars dessert party is available during the half marathon weekend. Is anyone else doing this? Our reservation is for 8:15. Wondering how early to show up and how long it lasts. I already signed up but trying to figure out timing. Thanks!

I wanted to - but I was going to do it Monday the 18th for a post race celebration (when I wouldn't pass out at the table) and for some reason that is the ONLY day not available. It is completely blocked out on the calendar and I have no idea why!

I did the dessert party in January though. They say it opens at 8:15, but they will definitely open it earlier. Ours opened 15-20 min early I believe. So if you arrive at 8:15 your'e almost late! You can also sign in and pick up your lanyard early. It will last until the fireworks are done, so I think with a 9:30 showtime, probably 9:45 close.

I wanted to - but I was going to do it Monday the 18th for a post race celebration (when I wouldn't pass out at the table) and for some reason that is the ONLY day not available. It is completely blocked out on the calendar and I have no idea why!

I did the dessert party in January though. They say it opens at 8:15, but they will definitely open it earlier. Ours opened 15-20 min early I believe. So if you arrive at 8:15 your'e almost late! You can also sign in and pick up your lanyard early. It will last until the fireworks are done, so I think with a 9:30 showtime, probably 9:45 close.

Thanks! I also wanted Monday was late to the game and couldn't get in. We are flying in Friday, so it'll be a fun first night celebration and hopefully we'll walk off the calories on Saturday ;)

I'm doing it on the 16th. Hoping it's worth the extra dollars. I figured it's a good add on to the trip since the whole reason we're coming is for the Star Wars run.

Personally, I think Galloway puts too much emphasis on the long runs.

Personally, I look at multiple plans online and then make my own using those as a guide and meshing techniques that I have found to be the most helpful in the past.

+1 for not feeling like Galloway's plans are ideal, and I also make my own training plans based on past experience. I do think Galloway is a good place to start - but I'd sure like to see him better emphasize 1. having a solid, long-term base of distance built before tackling high mileage, and 2. the importance of cross-training. I, too, feel like Galloway's long runs go too long, and his short runs not long enough. It was a good starting point, and I do do the run-walk thing, but I quickly found that my body responds best to a slower initial buildup, more mid-week mileage, a shorter final training distance, some back-to-back days, and serious cross-training. I think Galloway's plans as used by brand-new runners give the idea that you can do the bare minimum and still go from couch to 26.2 - and all evidence says many folks can... but at what price? I was constantly fighting injuries trying to go too far too soon, and I see it all the time here and in various running groups. Once I recovered from a year's worth of distance running injuries, I took another year to simply work on a solid base of regular mileage, then started building for my first full. I felt sooooo much better prepared for that then I had for my first half, which I'd basically crammed for. And I wasn't even new to running, only to longer distances!

I am not feeling to confident with my running right now. Two weeks ago I did a 10 miler (2 weeks early according to my plan, but since it was a race I decided to do it anyway.) Since then Ive done a few short runs and no long runs (nothing farther than 5 miles.) I was planning on scaling back now week and then getting back to the longer runs this past weekend but it didn't happen both due to spring break schedules and slight injury (shin splints starting on one leg and very sore hip flexor on same leg.)

With only 2 weeks to go I'm not sure how to schedule my runs now. :confused3 Guess I'll just see how I feel this weekend and decide how far to go once I'm out there.

Oh, but if I get my 4 miles in tonight I will have done 50 miles for this month which is very good for me - I'm always terrible at training!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter