Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Speaking of shirts, they looked a lot better in person than in the pictures. Although I wasn't real excited about the orange of the Goofy shirt. I chose to wear the marathon shirt to dinner Sunday night, as it was 'dressier'. Of course, I had a hard time not explaining to everyone that I really ran the Goofy.

I also liked the shirts better in person than in the pictures. Also, only a runner would consider a tech race shirt to be "dressy"...which is exactly why I chose the black one to wear to work today! Haha

[*]Running the 5k, half, and full I only heard Shake It Off and Let It Go once each. I consider that a victory :)

I agree, definitely a victory! I don't mind Shake It Off, but I really liked that they had a different song for the half and full.

I am so envious of everyone getting their coast to coast this year. Coming from the east coast, airfare to California is just not in the books this year (never mind the cost for the races and the rest of the trip). Oh well, guess that just means I'll be back at WDW in the future!

Agreed! I was really hoping for a Minnie Mouse 10k tank and Sweaty Band, as she is my favorite character. I wandered up and down the aisles 3 times, cause I just couldn't believe there was no 10k merchandise!!! I'd be REALLY bummed if the 10k was the only race I ran and there was no merch! Haha! Me too! Today I registered for a local half in March, and I may or may not have made a hotel reservation in Anaheim for Labor Day week. ;)
The 10k was the only race I did. I got the 10k pin and then just marathon weekend merchandise. It made me definitely feel like the half and full were the top dog. But it also gave be the ambition to do those races in the future.

I am so envious of everyone getting their coast to coast this year. Coming from the east coast, airfare to California is just not in the books this year (never mind the cost for the races and the rest of the trip). Oh well, guess that just means I'll be back at WDW in the future!

This is the one thing that keeps me from saying that I'm definitely doing it. I've found some decent hotel rates, but flights from Philly to LAX can be :scared1:.

Running the 5k, half, and full I only heard Shake It Off and Let It Go once each. I consider that a victory :)

Definitely a victory! I was really happy to not hear any "the cold never bothered me anyway" jokes on Thursday during the 5k either. Best musical moment of the weekend was our corral being sent off on Sunday to the sounds of Metallica's Enter Sandman. A nice surprise from Disney. :rockband:

I booked the Shamrock half in VA beach in March yesterday and started looking at a local trail 10 miler at the end of this month. I started petitioning DW about the Disneyland half months ago... but that's still not a definite.

I find having a race to look forward to makes it much easier to get out and train.

I really like the Marathon shirt. I usually like orange and the 2013 Goofy shirts is one of my favorite so I thought I was going to love that shirt. It's okay but goofy kind of blends in with the shirt.

I'm running Shamrock, too! And then the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler a few weeks after that. Taking the rest of Jan and Feb to recover and train. My half for Goofy was acceptable given the photo stops and need to hold back for the marathon, but I'd like to get faster. I'm going for the blue Coast-to-Coast this year with Tink (race registration was my Mother's Day gift to my mom) and then Avengers again in November. I am considering Wine and Dine with a friend, but that might be excessive, especially if I decide to run a fall marathon.

I was also completely underdressed for Saturday. I'd looked at the forecast and packed what I would normally have for a local race in the 40s, but I forgot about the excessive standing around time associated with WDW races. I also forgot gloves, which I really missed during the run.

The Goofy shirt is really bright, and I wish the graphic had more contrast, but I'm still going to wear the heck out of it on long runs this winter.

I don't really have the post race fever but I found myself quoting out a trip to DL this morning. "Well, I don't really want to do a rD event next year soooo if I should probably try for Coast to Coast this year..." :confused3:rotfl2:

Definitely thinking about this too. That Coast to Coast is tempting.

So is anybody else just in love with their race shirt? It fits so well, has such a great design, and is so incredibly soft that I just want to wear it every day! This might be my favorite shirt ever! I am just so pleased that since my last Marathon Weekend event that Disney has gone to having a women's shirt option. "Unisex" was kind of a joke, unless the "uni" sex was male.

The shirts are great. Like them much better then the ones I got in 2013. Glad I tried them on and switched at the expo though. The men's large were way to big for me.

Definitely a victory! I was really happy to not hear any "the cold never bothered me anyway" jokes on Thursday during the 5k either.

We heard lots of those on Thursday, but primarily because my 15-year-old son was dressed as Elsa - glitter and wig included. :) He looked particularly funny as Elsa during the wait because the cold clearly bothered him!

I agree, definitely a victory! I don't mind Shake It Off, but I really liked that they had a different song for the half and full.

I was really happy with 2 different songs.

I'm running Shamrock, too!
I was also completely underdressed for Saturday. I'd looked at the forecast and packed what I would normally have for a local race in the 40s, but I forgot about the excessive standing around time associated with WDW races. I also forgot gloves, which I really missed during the run.

The Goofy shirt is really bright, and I wish the graphic had more contrast, but I'm still going to wear the heck out of it on long runs this winter.

I hope you have a great race there. I was suprised to see that the hotels along the course were already booked up.

I went to target in Orlando on Friday night realizing I had under-packed. I wound up buying a fleece blanket that was on clearance to keep warm in the corals.

I don't love the Goofy shirt but it will definitely get plenty of wear.

Definitely a victory! I was really happy to not hear any "the cold never bothered me anyway" jokes on Thursday during the 5k either. Best musical moment of the weekend was our corral being sent off on Sunday to the sounds of Metallica's Enter Sandman. A nice surprise from Disney. :rockband:

HA! I was making a quick stop in the woods (must have been a corral or two behind) when I heard this and I stopped to listen! Couldn't believe they played this!

Great weekend for me I will say. I used the virtual queue right at 6:00 on Wed and VERY LUCKILY got a 10:00 spot for shoes. Score! I was hoping to get another pair of Goofy shoes when suddenly they had the 2013 models for $75!! I got a 2013 of Mickey shoes! Double Score! BTW, I HATED the 2015 shoes.

Also at the Expo I picked up a rD magic Band for my wife and I, pint glass, and a "I DID IT!" marathon shirt. Found out later the rD Magic Bands would sell out!

Was it me or did people feel the Expo was a little more disorganized than last year?

"Ran" the 5K with my SIL & SMIL. First time I did and probably the last time unless I do the Dopey Challenge one day.

Marathon was good. Finished in 4:41, little slower than I expected as my half time predicted a 4:05 finish but I figured a 4:20/4:30 finish. Soles of my feet hurt, but everything else felt good.

I HATED the speedway segment of the course. WWOS was actually quite fun! I think I would have really enjoyed DHS and Epcot, but I was starting to run on fumes and the soles of my feet were REALLY hurting. Overall, I would run it again. But I am going back to the half next year.

We learned a lot for our first rD event this past weekend! First time ever we stayed off property and don't think it was the wisest choice. Thoughts/recommendations for best on-site hotel? Thinking a boardwalk/epcot hotel would be a quicker bus ride.

We learned a lot for our first rD event this past weekend! First time ever we stayed off property and don't think it was the wisest choice. Thoughts/recommendations for best on-site hotel? Thinking a boardwalk/epcot hotel would be a quicker bus ride.

I've done Princess and the Half this past wknd -- stayed at Beach Club and Boardwalk. The bus ride there is short, and you can walk back to the hotel after the race. :)

This is the one thing that keeps me from saying that I'm definitely doing it. I've found some decent hotel rates, but flights from Philly to LAX can be :scared1:.

I flew from from Philly to SNA (Orange County/John Wayne) for the DL Half. I forget the cost now, but it was definitely cheaper than LAX. It's closer, too!

I'm running Shamrock, too!

Add me to the list of people doing the Shamrock half! I am doing the Dolphin Challenge (10k/half). I had hoped to upgrade to the full, but I think it's wiser to take some time off instead and rest for a few weeks. I made it through Dopey okay, but I had some serious leg pains the 2 weeks leading up to it that made me really nervous. No need to push it!

I'm really partial to monorail resorts. Very predictable schedule. I can always board the 4am monorail out of Contemporary (a few minutes earlier for the Grand, since it is a few stops back) and have never had a problem making a forward corral with a bathroom stop.

I flew from from Philly to SNA (Orange County/John Wayne) for the DL Half. I forget the cost now, but it was definitely cheaper than LAX. It's closer, too!

Definitely pick SNA if you can. Every aspect of the airport is easier than LAX, and the drive from LAX can be really obnoxious.

Add me to the list of people doing the Shamrock half! I am doing the Dolphin Challenge (10k/half).

I'm STRONGLY considering registering for Shamrock, probably the full. There is another one in Newport News the week before, I might register for that one instead.

I was at the Boardwalk this weekend - all of the Epcot resorts share buses, but we never actually shared in the mornings. The bus would fill and we'd go right to the staging area - super easy.

Coming back, the Swan was always the first stop. Each day I just got off the bus there and walked back to the Boardwalk. I think the Boardwalk will be my race weekend resort of choice from here on out. :)

In the past I've also stayed at the Beach Club Villas (again, good transportation there) and the Grand Floridian. Having the monorail was pretty awesome, but the Boardwalk has always been my favorite resort (and it's not a pricey), so that one gets the edge for me.

I'm running Shamrock, too! And then the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler a few weeks after that.

I'm doing Cherry Blossom too! :goodvibes

Definitely pick SNA if you can. Every aspect of the airport is easier than LAX, and the drive from LAX can be really obnoxious.

So far everything that I've quoted out has LAX as the cheaper of the two options. A few airlines don't have their calendars open that far out yet though so that could be why. I've been to Cali once to fly my little cousin home (following a trip to WDW, LOL) and only spent 2 or 3 days there. I am pretty positive that it was SNA that I flew in/out of though. I remember it being very easy.

I've stayed at the Beach Club for both rD events I've done now, and didn't have issues either time. Transportation in the morning was really easy and quick, then afterwards, I just walk back through the park to get in that "keep moving" recovery time. It also helps now that Starbucks is in Future World.:cool1:

We stayed at Port Orleans both last year and this year. It was a great resort to be at. Bus rides to and from the half and full were very quick.

Monorail resorts offer the easiest Disney transportation to and from the races. Epcot resorts offer the shortest distance bus rides, but there's always the potential for long waits to get on the bus.

I booked the Shamrock half in VA beach in March yesterday

We will be at Shamrock again running the 8k and the half. Always a nice time. We should all wear rundisney shirts. See all of you there.

...........now back to our scheduled programming...........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter