Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

The only people buying an "I did it" Goofy shirt, for example,should be people actually registered for Goofy.

I was tempted to buy a Dopey "I did it" shirt but thought it was bad karma to get one before actually doing it. Probably would have bought one after the marathon if I saw one.

Can't imagine Disney would put buying limits on merch.

My other merch beef was the lack of race specific merchandise. It seems like every year they have more generic marathon weekend or run disney stuff and less race specific stuff. My first goofy I was able to pick up this mug, http://www.*****************/Disney-Travel-Mug--2012-Marathon--Goofy-Race-and-a-Half-Challenge_p_16236.html I keep looking for other Goofy stuff like it, but outside of shirts and magnets there doesn't seem to be much stuff.

I agree! I love my marathon-specific mug from 2010 and was looking forward to another, but all they had was the one that listed the events for the whole weekend.

Did anyone actually get or even see the Champion "run your ears off" shirts? I was there around noon on Wed and was told they were all gone, but I didn't see one single person wearing the shirt all weekend.

I would completely support limiting sales. No more than 2 of any one type of item per registration--and if it is race specific, you should have to show your registration. The only people buying an "I did it" Goofy shirt, for example,should be people actually registered for Goofy.

I agree 100%. Let the public come in and shop at the general vendors. In order to buy official runDisney race specific items you must show your bib. And race specific merchandise should be exclusive for participants in that race. I refuse to buy from eBay knowing people went in with the intention of making some easy money. Let them be out the money and eventually they will stop doing it. If people continue to buy from them they will continue to scoop up the goods and inflate the prices.

Did anyone actually get or even see the Champion "run your ears off" shirts? I was there around noon on Wed and was told they were all gone, but I didn't see one single person wearing the shirt all weekend.
We got there at 9 on Wednesday and decided we needed to go shop before packet pick-up. So when they let us in about 930 my wife went straight to the Champion shop and got one. She ran the 10k in the shirt, but that was the only one I saw during my races.
My wife said it wasn't 930 but it definitely was before 10. She said she saw about 50 shirts hanging on the rack when we got there. I am not sure how many they had for back stock.

I agree 100%. Let the public come in and shop at the general vendors. In order to buy official runDisney race specific items you must show your bib. And race specific merchandise should be exclusive for participants in that race. I refuse to buy from eBay knowing people went in with the intention of making some easy money. Let them be out the money and eventually they will stop doing it. If people continue to buy from them they will continue to scoop up the goods and inflate the prices.

I just looked on eBay -- the thing I'm surprised to see is people selling the race medals! $65 for a half-marathon medal -- "buy it now" price. Makes me kinda' sad... :(

If anyone by chance has an extra Run Disney MagicBand they picked up at the Expo, please pm me. They were gone by the time I got there on Friday and I'd love to have one for our trip next month!! Thanks.

While I wish they would, my guess on why Disney won't do pre-order is that
1 - it will keep people from coming to the vendor area of the expo which will obviously hurt the vendor sales
2 - pre-ordering cuts down on those impulse buys like an extra shirt or a pin.

It does seem like Disney could limit the number of items you bought or require you have a registration to purchase. Scalpers could still work around that but it would be much more tedious or costly. They have to know it's happening.

I just looked on eBay -- the thing I'm surprised to see is people selling the race medals! $65 for a half-marathon medal -- "buy it now" price. Makes me kinda' sad... :(

I've never understood why people would sell a medal or even more, why someone would buy one.

While I wish they would, my guess on why Disney won't do pre-order is that
1 - it will keep people from coming to the vendor area of the expo which will obviously hurt the vendor sales
2 - pre-ordering cuts down on those impulse buys like an extra shirt or a pin.

It does seem like Disney could limit the number of items you bought or require you have a registration to purchase. Scalpers could still work around that but it would be much more tedious or costly. They have to know it's happening.

1. Not really. You still have to pick up your pre-ordered merchandise at the Expo. So you still have to visit the vendor area.

2. Even though there's pre-order, they'd still have the store, so impulse buys would still happen. They just wouldn't have the quantities they do now, because ppl pre-ordered. It would actually be brilliant, because fewer quantities in the store would cause "panic" (not the right word) and more impulse buying.

Honestly, pre-orders would help Disney's bottom line too. They'd have a better count of quantities and sizes.

1. Not really. You still have to pick up your pre-ordered merchandise at the Expo. So you still have to visit the vendor area.

2. Even though there's pre-order, they'd still have the store, so impulse buys would still happen. They just wouldn't have the quantities they do now, because ppl pre-ordered. It would actually be brilliant, because fewer quantities in the store would cause "panic" (not the right word) and more impulse buying.

Honestly, pre-orders would help Disney's bottom line too. They'd have a better count of quantities and sizes.

That's fair but with preorder I was thinking they would ship to you not have you pick up at the expo. Having to have that many preorders could be a logistical and storage nightmare I would think. Maybe not though. It would definitely help with their production and maybe as much stuff wouldn't end up at the outlet store. :)

I've never understood why people would sell a medal or even more, why someone would buy one.

The same reason they steal them. People will pay up for scarce Disney memorabilia. Watching for shrinkage at the medals distribution, was one of my tasks this past weekend. I witnessed two instances of medal double-dipping that I would testify to, and about five more 'suspected' thefts. A large majority would never think of this, right? Prior to this experience, I was completely naive. My valuables will be in zippered pouches when I run races from now on.

People steal/double dip, but I have also read a fee comments from people places that sell them to more or less feed their rundisney habit. Some people just don't care about the medals and throw them in a box and they just collect dust. By selling them, it helps pay for the next race. As for people buying, it is a destination race. People travel and things get lost, etc.

The same reason they steal them. People will pay up for scarce Disney memorabilia. Watching for shrinkage at the medals distribution, was one of my tasks this past weekend. I witnessed two instances of medal double-dipping that I would testify to, and about five more 'suspected' thefts. A large majority would never think of this, right? Prior to this experience, I was completely naive. My valuables will be in zippered pouches when I run races from now on.

Please, oh please tell me you are not referring to theft at the Bag Checks. I am sure I am way naive, too. Medal double dipping! Really? :sad1: I just don't get it...

People steal/double dip, but I have also read a fee comments from people places that sell them to more or less feed their rundisney habit. Some people just don't care about the medals and throw them in a box and they just collect dust. By selling them, it helps pay for the next race. As for people buying, it is a destination race. People travel and things get lost, etc.

"feed their rundisney habit"
Aha! Behavior of an addict.

I was tempted to buy a Dopey "I did it" shirt but thought it was bad karma to get one before actually doing it. Probably would have bought one after the marathon if I saw one.

Can't imagine Disney would put buying limits on merch.

I had my wife buy my shirt, I made sure it was the right one. I didnt touch it. She had it on the day of the full, and they found me at the bus stops outside DHS before the walkway towards epcot and she gave it to me then.

I had my wife buy my shirt, I made sure it was the right one. I didnt touch it. She had it on the day of the full, and they found me at the bus stops outside DHS before the walkway towards epcot and she gave it to me then.

That is awesome.
Awesome idea.
Awesome plan.
Awesome result.

Wish I had thought of that.

Please, oh please tell me you are not referring to theft at the Bag Checks. I am sure I am way naive, too. Medal double dipping! Really? :sad1: I just don't get it...
I haven't seen someone steal from bags. I don't think other volunteers would tolerate that. This was palming one medal and taking another over the head. One was a team effort, with the extra medal stuffed in the shorts of a buddy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter