Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

I don't get that mindset at all. Why would someone go out of there way to be derogatory to someone that has clearly accomplished something?

Some people just need to feel good about themselves, and they do this by putting others down. There are also people who just don't realize they are being mean. For example, my boss does Crossfit :-)rolleyes2) and they had to run a 5k as part of their workout one day. He then asked me what my 5k time is and I said my fastest was about 32 minutes (at that time). He said "Oh, I thought you would have been faster." Ouch. I went home that day and ran one of my best runs so far :lmao:

Marine Corps is also a very good race for those who are worried about feeling accepted. Very runner friendly for all varieties of runner.

I was planning to enter the lottery for this one, but the Chicago opportunity came up so I am going to see how that plays out first. I have some connections to the Chicago race and was told I should know by Christmas if I can get in. :confused3

Not funny for your brother, but this reminds me of the HIMYM when Barney runs the New York Marathon and then gets stuck on the subway for hours because his legs are so sore he can't get up at his stop. Haha!

20140521-234702-85622090.jpg

That was such a great episode!

BTW, the answer when someone asks you how you did is to say that you won.

Ha! Along those lines, my standard canned answer is a very dejected "I didn't win" delivered as if I had every intention of winning. Half the time, they'll drop it there but sometimes they'll follow up and I'll tell them I finished 2,714th...but that first group of 2,600 was really bunched together.

It's so sad when some people need to tear others down to make themselves feel better. Especially since running a marathon in 6 hours while stopping for all the characters is a great time! And for your first marathon?? That's awesome!! We stopped for all the characters during the Half and took over 4 hours, which placed us 20,189th out of 20,245 finishers...so ya, 6 hours is a rock star performance!
Haha, thanks! Yeah, I was totally fine with it. Not sure why it bugged this guy! I think he was just jealous of my picture with the 3 Little Pigs. :)
26.2 miles is nothing to sneer about. What a great accomplishment!!!!. You did more in one morning than some do in a lifetime. I've dealt with a few people like that since I've started running. Being short (under 5 feet) and having to step twice for most peoples one step can wear on you. I had one person ask me my time for my half marathon and he said "geez you run slow...I can run a 7 min mile" so of course my response was "oh you've done a half?" he said "no" so I said come see me when you run a half marathon at that pace and we can talk.... gerk!

Keep running guys!!!! :thumbsup2
:rolleyes: "geez you run slow"?? Rude!

I almost hate telling the story of that guy we encountered because that is SO not the norm in my experience. Most of the running community is so supportive.
Marine Corps is also a very good race for those who are worried about feeling accepted. Very runner friendly for all varieties of runner.
Yes! This is another I'd want to do if I ever consider a non-Disney marathon. :)
Not funny for your brother, but this reminds me of the HIMYM when Barney runs the New York Marathon and then gets stuck on the subway for hours because his legs are so sore he can't get up at his stop. Haha!
Awww, I miss HIMYM. :sad1: Love the episode though.
For example, my boss does Crossfit :-)rolleyes2)...
The fact that you mentioned Crossfit followed by an eye roll made me LOL. :)

In other news, I've been checking for waivers once or twice a day...obviously they aren't there yet. :) The waivers section says they won't be posted until "approximately 2 weeks before the race"...but 2 weeks before is Christmas week so somehow I doubt they will do it then! :santa:

HA! The crossfit eyeroll made me laugh too.

My Disney marathon's have been VERY slow. The first one a little over 7 hours, the second one a little under 7 hours. But, I had a blast doing them and don't much care about how long it took me. In fact, I have a frame in my office with my bib and medal and picture in front of the castle from my first one that proudly displays my time of 7:08:04. If anybody wants to give me grief about that time they can bite me. ;)

But, in all honesty, I've never had anyone say anything except congratulations, so that's been awesome.

I may be done with marathons after Goofy this year. Just not sure I want to keep logging the miles needed and staying in shape for half marathons is just not as hard on me. I've been plagued with injuries this year though, so I'm sure that's some of what has me questioning it. If I do decide to do another one, Chicago is at the top of my list.

So my friend found out she's pregnant and won't be able to run the Half. The FAQs say that she can't transfer her bib and it looks like it's too late to defer. My sister wants to take her place. My friend reached out to RunDisney anyway to plead her case just to see what they say, even though we expect them to say no. In case they won't let her off the hook, does anyone know where my sister might be able to find a bib for the half? I'm looking through all the travel providers and they all look sold out for the half. And at this stage, it's kind of late in the game to start fundraising for a charity.

Any thoughts? I'm fine running the race alone, but it's more fun with someone else!

Leg cramping issue

I'm dealing with some cramping in the backs of my legs that I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on. As a back story, I've been running for about 3 years now, having completed 5 half marathons. I am now training for my first full. At no time in the past have I experienced leg cramps. It actually started as I was finishing up a half back in October. I had just completed mile 12 when suddenly I got a cramp or Charlie horse in my left hamstring. I was able to stretch it out and finish running the half. I was supposed to complete 17 miles that day, but the cramping moved around in the backs of both legs so I had to walk a good portion of it. Fast forward 3 weeks to my 20 mile training run. Felt pretty good durning the run, but again, right after mile 12 I got another cramp. This time in my right calf. I tried working it out, but the cramping again moved up into my hamstrings and my other calf. So I was not able to complete this run. I have always ran in Asics Nimbus and I'm on my second pair this year. Coincidence or not, the half marathon when the cramps started were in my new pair. They are the same model as my previous pair, just a different color.

I stopped into our local running store to talk about it with the owner. He said he'd be surprised if my shoes were causing the cramping, especially considering they are the same model I'd been running in with no issues and the cramps are in different spots. He suggested hydrating really well all week leading up to runs, and especially during runs. He also suggested salt tablets, which I planned to try this weekend. But during my run tonight it seemed like my feet were really tight, especially in the toes. So now I'm wondering if it really is something with the shoes.

I thought I'd put my issue on here hoping it's a common thing that others have dealt with and can offer some suggestions. With my long run coming this weekend, I'm hoping to have something that puts my mind at ease. With a little over a month to go, and 15 miles really being my longest run, I'm really hoping to get this under control.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Leg cramping issue

I'm dealing with some cramping in the backs of my legs that I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on. As a back story, I've been running for about 3 years now, having completed 5 half marathons. I am now training for my first full. At no time in the past have I experienced leg cramps. It actually started as I was finishing up a half back in October. I had just completed mile 12 when suddenly I got a cramp or Charlie horse in my left hamstring. I was able to stretch it out and finish running the half. I was supposed to complete 17 miles that day, but the cramping moved around in the backs of both legs so I had to walk a good portion of it. Fast forward 3 weeks to my 20 mile training run. Felt pretty good durning the run, but again, right after mile 12 I got another cramp. This time in my right calf. I tried working it out, but the cramping again moved up into my hamstrings and my other calf. So I was not able to complete this run. I have always ran in Asics Nimbus and I'm on my second pair this year. Coincidence or not, the half marathon when the cramps started were in my new pair. They are the same model as my previous pair, just a different color.

I stopped into our local running store to talk about it with the owner. He said he'd be surprised if my shoes were causing the cramping, especially considering they are the same model I'd been running in with no issues and the cramps are in different spots. He suggested hydrating really well all week leading up to runs, and especially during runs. He also suggested salt tablets, which I planned to try this weekend. But during my run tonight it seemed like my feet were really tight, especially in the toes. So now I'm wondering if it really is something with the shoes.

I thought I'd put my issue on here hoping it's a common thing that others have dealt with and can offer some suggestions. With my long run coming this weekend, I'm hoping to have something that puts my mind at ease. With a little over a month to go, and 15 miles really being my longest run, I'm really hoping to get this under control.

My first thought was hydration. You might try consuming more water than what you already do. However, if you feel you already drink enough, your electrolyte levels might be low.

I have only experienced this once about a year and a half ago I got a really bad crap in my calf during the last few miles of a half. Stretching helped enough for my to finish, but it still hurt for the rest of the day. If memory serves me correctly, I don't think I consumed enough fuel during the race.

Hope this helps or at least gives you a few things to try out.

Has anyone received your DME luggage tags yet? Seems like in my previous trips to disney I get them about a month and a half in advance. I guess I should just call but kind of wondering if the holidays slowed them down. I'm running the half, can't wait!!!!

Has anyone received your DME luggage tags yet? Seems like in my previous trips to disney I get them about a month and a half in advance. I guess I should just call but kind of wondering if the holidays slowed them down. I'm running the half, can't wait!!!!
nope have not received ours yet

20140521-234702-85622090.jpg

:) If he had told us the story after that episode I would have wondered if he was borrowing a story, but the Marine Corps Marathon he participated in was at least 10 years ago and he's been telling it since then. :)

And yes that episode was good.

Half the time, they'll drop it there but sometimes they'll follow up and I'll tell them I finished 2,714th...but that first group of 2,600 was really bunched together.

:rotfl:

Beast2Prince, I would definitely look at the shoes. Even the same model can change from year to year. Make sure they are the correct size, first off. Look to see if things changed in that shoe from when you bought the first to the second pair.

Also...potassium (that's why people eat bananas), sodium, water (too much? too little?).

Leg cramping issue

This sounds like a hydration and fueling issue and not anything related to your shoes. I've heard of people getting cramps in their toes from shoes that don't fit right, but never seen leg cramps caused by shoes. Anyway, I'd suggest taking a salt tab every hour (I prefer Salt Stick), staying well hydrated before and during your run, and making sure you're fueling properly too.

I got mine a long time ago actually. Almost right after I gave them my flight info. I've switched hotels though so the tags say the wrong hotel on them. I read somewhere on here that it doesn't matter and you can just cross out the hotel name and write in the correct one since the computer will be correct. Anyone know if this is true?

Hamstring cramps are unusual in distance runners. Calf issues are more common, but that doesn't seem to be the main issue here. Could be a lot of things ... hydration and specifically electrolyte/potassium being among of them.

Also could be an imbalance of some sort. The place where you feel the pain isn't necessarily the source. Lunges and eccentric heel dips/calf raises might help in the long term. Squats for a strong butt. Deadlifts for a strong everything. Google Myrtl Routine for hips.

Got DME tags about 2 weeks ago...just tags, no book. Then yesterday received 2 more tags and the DME book. I didn't call or anything...weird! :confused3

Re: hamstring cramps - another vote for possible hydration/fueling issues. Hope the next one is better!

Leg cramping issue

I don't remember if it was posted here or on facebook, but there is an article that talks about this. It said that one of the common causes of "mysterious" sudden pains are the shoes, even when wearing the same old trusty model. Some manufacturers have changed the drop in their shoes between models without advertising it. That little change can be enough to cause pain. I know you said your shoes are the same model, but might be something worth looking in to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter