Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

First time "full" marathon runner here coming up in Jan, although I have done several half's in the past few years, including last weekend. Quick question for those marathon veterans regarding training and possibly missing a week or so from training due to "race" soreness. Basically I already have several long runs under my belt this fall (2 - 14 milers a few weeks ago and then a half last weekend), but this week I am pretty sore after I ran too hard during that run (W&D) last Saturday night. I ran (raced) a pace (15-20 sec) above what I trained for since I felt pretty good all night and the temps were pretty ideal - except for the rain :worried: Although I did set a PR :cool1: Now what I'm experiencing is most likely DOMS in my legs as my calves and hamstrings are still pretty sore and tight. No sharp pains though ...

Anyways, the plan(s) I'm following have me topping out at 20 miles about 3 weeks before the full, but I should be at >15 this upcoming weekend. A little background: I do still have a mid week base of anywhere 5-7 miles per run ~3 times a week and I play ice-hockey every Tuesday - which helps with cross training :)

How concerned (if at all) should I be with 8 weeks to go if I have to take a week to recover from my half since I raced that one too hard?

Well, I wouldn't call myself a "vet" as I only have one full under my belt, but I can tell you that I am approaching the training for my 2nd full much differently. I had a whole slew of injuries during and after training for my first full, including plantar fasciitis, IT band syndrome, and shin splints (so the whole gamut from my hips down to my feet :thumbsup2). My first training plan was fairly typical, building/adding to long runs each week, with 3x 20 milers in the last 6 weeks or so :crazy2:. It was way too much for me. I didn't give myself enough time to recover from each long run and I wasn't doing any strength/cross training in-between. I think the best advice that I've received and that I am FINALLY following is to listen to your body. Everyone is different, and it isn't like the training plan I am following was tailored specifically to ME. If you feel tired, don't go as far or as hard. It's OK to give yourself a break, even if it can be really hard to shorten or skip those long runs written on your training plan. Currently I am doing one to two weekends of long runs and then cutting it back for a week to 7-8 miles while still doing my mid-distance runs during the week. Some people might not think it's enough, but time will tell. And I have been feeling really good!! It sounds like you're already in great shape and NOT taking time off might hurt you more than skipping or shortening a run. Just my two cents - take it for what it's worth!

Was just reading through the FAQ's and realized that I made a planning blunder.

My son is registered for the Mickey Mile on Friday. I figured Friday would be a non park day, and that we would hit the expo first thing Friday morning to get both his and my race packets. I just read that Kids also must pick up packets prior to race day.

Anyone know if this is a hard rule? If I have to pickup on Thursday thoughts on how long it would take me round trip to get them? We are staying at GF.

Thanks!

Was just reading through the FAQ's and realized that I made a planning blunder. My son is registered for the Mickey Mile on Friday. I figured Friday would be a non park day, and that we would hit the expo first thing Friday morning to get both his and my race packets. I just read that Kids also must pick up packets prior to race day. Anyone know if this is a hard rule? If I have to pickup on Thursday thoughts on how long it would take me round trip to get them? We are staying at GF. Thanks!
It shouldn't take too long. Thursday has typically been a slower day at the expo compared to Friday.

Was just reading through the FAQ's and realized that I made a planning blunder.

My son is registered for the Mickey Mile on Friday. I figured Friday would be a non park day, and that we would hit the expo first thing Friday morning to get both his and my race packets. I just read that Kids also must pick up packets prior to race day.

Anyone know if this is a hard rule? If I have to pickup on Thursday thoughts on how long it would take me round trip to get them? We are staying at GF.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat. The wording on the website is vague. It says that packets will not be available at the race on race day. However, since the Expo is at the same location as the Mickey Mile, I wonder if they would still have the Friday race packets available for pickup at the normal pickup location.

Essentially, like the Half and Full, you cannot pick up your packet at the starting area, and it would not be there.

I have emailed RunDisney to see if the Friday packets would still be available at the normal pickup location at the Expo on Friday morning.

I am in the same boat. The wording on the website is vague. It says that packets will not be available at the race on race day. However, since the Expo is at the same location as the Mickey Mile, I wonder if they would still have the Friday race packets available for pickup at the normal pickup location. Essentially, like the Half and Full, you cannot pick up your packet at the starting area, and it would not be there. I have emailed RunDisney to see if the Friday packets would still be available at the normal pickup location at the Expo on Friday morning.

If you look at the kids races section of the FAQ it is pretty specific - I hope you get a different response to your email!

I'm deferred to this year and I'm on the fence about doing it primarily of hotel/airfare/etc costs. For anyone that has stayed off site, how was it getting in on race mornings? Traffic/parking? Anyone know of hotels that have race day shuttles? Thanks.

I'm deferred to this year and I'm on the fence about doing it primarily of hotel/airfare/etc costs. For anyone that has stayed off site, how was it getting in on race mornings? Traffic/parking? Anyone know of hotels that have race day shuttles? Thanks.
I've stayed offsite several times (though the last time was three years ago), always with a rental car. Arriving to Epcot around 3:30am, there was no traffic and I parked in the first few rows of cars.

I stayed at the Hilton Bonnett Creek last year because I could point out a free room. They had great transportation race morning. There weren't as many options for park transport as with disney so I usually caught a cab for dinner reservations. They also had a great morning pre race buffet set up in the lobby. Workers cheered the busses as we left for the race. Great fun.

I've stayed offsite several times (though the last time was three years ago), always with a rental car. Arriving to Epcot around 3:30am, there was no traffic and I parked in the first few rows of cars.

Same for us. We stayed offsite the last two years and drove to the race. We also arrived around 3:30 and there was minimal traffic and close parking. I suspect if you wait until later to arrive though it's probably a different story.

This will be my first race ever, I'm doing the 10k and wanted to know some training tips for the cold weather. I don't always like running on a treadmill but this week it's going to be in the 20s here in Wisconsin. It's supposed to warm up next weekend but come December it will probably be right back into the 20s at best. So what do you guys wear and is there anything else I need to know about training in the cold?

This will be my first race ever, I'm doing the 10k and wanted to know some training tips for the cold weather. I don't always like running on a treadmill but this week it's going to be in the 20s here in Wisconsin. It's supposed to warm up next weekend but come December it will probably be right back into the 20s at best. So what do you guys wear and is there anything else I need to know about training in the cold?

Congrats on doing your first race! Try to layer with tighter, moisture wicking clothes being the first layer. Then go from there. Of course gloves, something to cover ears. And dress for 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the actual temp. You will warm up as you run. Stay warm out there!

Congrats on doing your first race! Try to layer with tighter, moisture wicking clothes being the first layer. Then go from there. Of course gloves, something to cover ears. And dress for 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the actual temp. You will warm up as you run. Stay warm out there!
Thanks!

I wear mittens instead of gloves so the fingers warm each other. Something around my neck and that I can pull over my face if the wind is blowing. My top layer is a wind breaker jacket by Skirt Sport that is amazing and under that is a moisture wicking long sleeve. I have sub-zero running tights under wind pants. Oh and something to cover your ears, or I do an earband and the jacket hood.

My feet start out cold but warm up after a few miles with just my midweight injinji socks. If there's ice I've heard people putting screws in their shoes but I never have, just find dry spots in the road if possible.

Take a hot shower when your done! Oh I make sure to start our pretty slow to get warmed up good so I don't pull something with cold muscles.

Now my phone gets weird or dies in this cold temps lately if I'm out over 2 hours, so if you have a phone try to keep it in a warm spot on you, which I'm still trying to figure out.

For anyone that has stayed off site, how was it getting in on race mornings? Traffic/parking? Anyone know of hotels that have race day shuttles? Thanks.
I'll echo the comments below...

Same for us. We stayed offsite the last two years and drove to the race. We also arrived around 3:30 and there was minimal traffic and close parking. I suspect if you wait until later to arrive though it's probably a different story.

I drove to the races from CBR over PHM weekend and the roads were empty; I literally went from walking out my resort room door to getting out of my parked car at EP in less than 10 mins. So it would've been only a few minutes more coming from offsite. The key is to arrive early; I left at the same time buses started running - 3am, I believe. The only downside to driving was my notoriously bad WDW parking luck: I was at the far end of my rows every time, which made for a decent walk back after running. Hoping for better luck for marathon weekend lol!

I just ordered some accessories to make a simple Jessie inspired outfit for the marathon. I have never run in costume before and I don't think I can handle anything extra during the full, so I guess this is more like Disney bounding? :confused3

Anyone have any suggestion for how to keep socks from rolling up if I cut off the feet? I will be wearing them over compression sleeves, so maybe I can temporarily attach them somehow?

I just ordered some accessories to make a simple Jessie inspired outfit for the marathon. I have never run in costume before and I don't think I can handle anything extra during the full, so I guess this is more like Disney bounding? :confused3 Anyone have any suggestion for how to keep socks from rolling up if I cut off the feet? I will be wearing them over compression sleeves, so maybe I can temporarily attach them somehow?

Maybe attach them to the sleeves with small safety pins? Or if you are any good at sewing, a small stitch that is simple to cut after the race??

Speaking of, let's talk costumes!!!

I don't think I am dressing in costume for the marathon-I figure that I will have enough to worry about that day without a costume. (I am thinking of wearing my "lucky" race shirt-it's a lime green 5k shirt from when I started running-I've worn it for every new distance and PR, and it's never let me down!!)

For the half marathon, my sister and I are thinking of being Lightning McQueen and Mater, but we haven't really seriously come up with ideas to make those happen yet.

Is anyone else dressing up? What are some of the best costume ideas you've seen at Disney races?

For those talking about driving in for the race, how does that work for the Half?

Is anyone else dressing up? What are some of the best costume ideas you've seen at Disney races?

At the Disneyland Half there was a woman wearing a Nemo costume that was so simple. Orange and white striped tech shirt, not sure of the shorts. She had orange arm sleeves and had little fins pinned to them. Adorable.

Whatever you do, if you're wearing wings, make them go up, NOT out. And if someone is dressing as Buzz, please oh please keep the wings to your own shoulder's width. We were around a guy with WAY-too-wide Buzz wings at W&D, and he just didn't seem to get what an impact he was having especially as the course got narrower.

Maybe attach them to the sleeves with small safety pins? Or if you are any good at sewing, a small stitch that is simple to cut after the race??

The stitch is a good idea actually! I could probably do that pretty quickly the morning of since I can see it stretching/pulling taking the sleeves on and off.

Speaking of, let's talk costumes!!!

I don't think I am dressing in costume for the marathon-I figure that I will have enough to worry about that day without a costume. (I am thinking of wearing my "lucky" race shirt-it's a lime green 5k shirt from when I started running-I've worn it for every new distance and PR, and it's never let me down!!)

For the half marathon, my sister and I are thinking of being Lightning McQueen and Mater, but we haven't really seriously come up with ideas to make those happen yet.

Well I already mentioned my full costume (Jessie). Since I am doing Dopey, I am planning 4 simple outfits:

5K - Not really a costume. I have a cheap cotton tshirt that says "And she ran happily ever after" that I figure I won't have many opportunities to wear. Thinking of pairing it with a tiara if I can find one for cheap.

10K - Someone mentioned dressing up as the Blerch for this race so I am probably going to wear my virtual Beat the Blerch shirt and try to find them for a photo opp! (if this isn't going to happen, I'd love to know and think of another idea!)

Half - I have the Red Queen shirt from raw threads. Will probably put a matching ribbon or something in my hair. I saw some cute Queen of Hearts arm warmers but I think I will die in those :faint:

Full - Jessie inspired outfit. Red head band (or visor if raining), hair in a braid with yellow ribbon, white tank top, blue shorts, yellow wrist bands, cow socks with feet cut off.

10K - Someone mentioned dressing up as the Blerch for this race so I am probably going to wear my virtual Beat the Blerch shirt and try to find them for a photo opp! (if this isn't going to happen, I'd love to know and think of another idea!)

:)

Channeling the Blerches I saw during the real-life run helps to get me through. Somehow reminding myself that "no one is making you do this" is actually useful to me. It's true, it's all me! Skirtsports has some new shirts; one of them says "give everything but up" and I now love that. Somehow the two sayings combine together to be quite motivating for my brain. :)

Skirtsports has some new shirts; one of them says "give everything but up" and I now love that. Somehow the two sayings combine together to be quite motivating for my brain. :)

I've never heard that quote before, I love it! It is a similar idea to my favorite race mantra which "Finish with nothing, leave it all on the road" or something like that, I think I remember the exact quote sounding a little more elegant, haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter