• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2014 Donald Half Marathon

I wouldn't recommend trying to catch up to a pace group. That is a recipe for disaster. That would mean that you would have to run faster than your anticpated pace in the beginning of the race and will more than likely have you using all your energy early in the race leaving you nothing for the end.
I made exactly this mistake this year on another half. The pace group was "not too far ahead" of me. I just increased my pace for the first 5K or so until I caught up with them. I ran with them for about another 10k. That's when I lost it, I could no longer keep with the group even though it was a standard pace for me. I had spent too much energy in the first section trying to keep up. If you don't start with them let them go and trust yourself for keeping on pace. It was really hard mentally seeing them run off and me falling behind.

I made exactly this mistake this year on another half. The pace group was "not too far ahead" of me. I just increased my pace for the first 5K or so until I caught up with them. I ran with them for about another 10k. That's when I lost it, I could no longer keep with the group even though it was a standard pace for me. I had spent too much energy in the first section trying to keep up. If you don't start with them let them go and trust yourself for keeping on pace. It was really hard mentally seeing them run off and me falling behind.

One thing that you can do is to keep the pace group in your sights. If you remain a constant distance from them, you are still running at their pace and you are not over exerting yourself in the beginning of the race. It also helps you keep your mind off of the running, If you stay focused on the group ahead of you, your mind won't be telling you how much your body hurts or other negative things.

The pace leaders will be in the corral that is appropriate for their time. For example, the 2 hour pace group may be in Corral E with other 2 hour runners (I don't know for sure which corral, I'm just guessing...FYI, the 2 hour group was in B last year). If you are in Corral D, you would have to move back to Corral E. If you are assigned to Corral F, then you would want to try and start int he front of the corral and possibly catch up or just run with the pace group that is in your corral.

I wouldn't recommend trying to catch up to a pace group. That is a recipe for disaster. That would mean that you would have to run faster than your anticipated pace in the beginning of the race and will more than likely have you using all your energy early in the race leaving you nothing for the end.

The pace groups are great to run with as they will maintain a pretty steady pace throughout the race and hold you back a little at the beginning to make sure you don't dart off too fast at the start. Running with a pace group will not allow you to move up any corrals. You will want to meet your pace leader at the expo to find out their game plan (i.e. will they walk through any of the water stations). A good pace leader will motivate you throughout the race and chat it up a bit to try and keep everyone's mind off of running. They will also tell you at the end of the race that if you are feeling good at this point that it is OK to run faster to the finish. I ran with one pace group one time where the pacer finished the race all by himself.

A little personal experience to the contrary....my bolding

Two weeks ago at the Space Coast Half Marathon I had decided on a 2:15/2:20 finish so I placed myself between the respective pacers. Following behind the 2:15 after the start felt comfortable so I kept behind the group. There were actually two designated pacers with one having GALLOWAY on the sign. When the Galloway pacer slowed for the first walk I kept my speed walking stride constant and passed the group. Since the other pacer was right there I joined in the back of that group and kept my speed walking pace constant. The first mile split was a 10:35 and second mile a 10:08.

We came to the first water stop and the pacer pulled over for fluids but I was not in need so I continued. Keeping stride I assumed the pacer would catch up but at mile 3, split 9:53 and feeling good, I now figured the catch would not occur. My speed walking stride was so smooth the next splits were.....9:49, 9:45, 9:46. After the mile 6 marker the 2:10 pace group passed me heading back to the finish since we had a turn-around. Suddenly a little bell went off in my head. The next splits were.....9:44, 9:44, 9:32, 9:34. During those miles I had a partner alongside so the miles passes much easier. As we were approaching mile marker 10 I mentioned to my new friend that I would be transitioning into a jog stride and did so.

Mile 11 split was 9:18, 12 was 9:18 and 13 was 9:09. I had latched on to a young woman with a smooth stride and just drafted behind concentrating on foot plant which helped me maintain the speed. Somewhere around mile 11/12 I saw the 2:10 pace group ahead and actually started to gain on them and eventually passed them. Feeling really exhilarated I finally went into a semi run stride at mile marker 13 and kicked it up a notch to the end.

Summary.....I started the race feeling a 2:15 might be possible and finished with a sub 2:08 because I stayed smooth, used others for energy and as a distraction. A PR for this 63yo.

McFlurry John

Two weeks ago at the Space Coast Half Marathon I had decided on a 2:15/2:20 finish so I placed myself between the respective pacers. Following behind the 2:15 after the start felt comfortable so I kept behind the group. There were actually two designated pacers with one having GALLOWAY on the sign. When the Galloway pacer slowed for the first walk I kept my speed walking stride constant and passed the group. Since the other pacer was right there I joined in the back of that group and kept my speed walking pace constant. The first mile split was a 10:35 and second mile a 10:08.

We came to the first water stop and the pacer pulled over for fluids but I was not in need so I continued. Keeping stride I assumed the pacer would catch up but at mile 3, split 9:53 and feeling good, I now figured the catch would not occur. My speed walking stride was so smooth the next splits were.....9:49, 9:45, 9:46. After the mile 6 marker the 2:10 pace group passed me heading back to the finish since we had a turn-around. Suddenly a little bell went off in my head. The next splits were.....9:44, 9:44, 9:32, 9:34. During those miles I had a partner alongside so the miles passes much easier. As we were approaching mile marker 10 I mentioned to my new friend that I would be transitioning into a jog stride and did so.

Mile 11 split was 9:18, 12 was 9:18 and 13 was 9:09. I had latched on to a young woman with a smooth stride and just drafted behind concentrating on foot plant which helped me maintain the speed. Somewhere around mile 11/12 I saw the 2:10 pace group ahead and actually started to gain on them and eventually passed them. Feeling really exhilarated I finally went into a semi run stride at mile marker 13 and kicked it up a notch to the end.

Summary.....I started the race feeling a 2:15 might be possible and finished with a sub 2:08 because I stayed smooth, used others for energy and as a distraction. A PR for this 63yo.

McFlurry John

Congrats to you on your PR! That is awesome! I guess not all recipes go south. I actually had a similar situation where I was a bit behind an 8:30 pace group (I was at the start line with them, but I started at a bit slower pace than they did so they got ahead of me). I thought I'd keep them in my sights and maybe try to catch up to them.

I knew potentially I could run that fast, but wasn't sure if was really ready to run that fast.

I kept a steady pace, kept them in my sights and around mile 9 or 10, I was pretty much caught up to them. Just after mile 10, I passed them, but they caught up to me and passed me in the last mile. I still managed an 8:33 pace and finished in 1:51:56 (a PR for me). I think the mental aspect of running behind them and slowly catching them over a period of time really helped me focus on other things and allowed me to run faster. It also gave me some adrenaline in the final miles thining that I am going to finish this race around 8:30/mile.

On the down side, my 2nd half marathon I did this year, I ran a half marathon in Maui where the first 3 miles were all downhill. I thought I could sprint out at the start and get a really fast start. I ran the first mile at 7:06, the second mile at 7:30, the third mile at 7:49. I ran miles 11, 12, and 13 at over a 10:00 pace. Lesson learned the hard way, but it made me a better runner...I think.

Congrats to you on your PR! That is awesome! I guess not all recipes go south. I actually had a similar situation where I was a bit behind an 8:30 pace group (I was at the start line with them, but I started at a bit slower pace than they did so they got ahead of me). I thought I'd keep them in my sights and maybe try to catch up to them.

I knew potentially I could run that fast, but wasn't sure if was really ready to run that fast.

I kept a steady pace, kept them in my sights and around mile 9 or 10, I was pretty much caught up to them. Just after mile 10, I passed them, but they caught up to me and passed me in the last mile. I still managed an 8:33 pace and finished in 1:51:56 (a PR for me). I think the mental aspect of running behind them and slowly catching them over a period of time really helped me focus on other things and allowed me to run faster. It also gave me some adrenaline in the final miles thining that I am going to finish this race around 8:30/mile.

On the down side, my 2nd half marathon I did this year, I ran a half marathon in Maui where the first 3 miles were all downhill. I thought I could sprint out at the start and get a really fast start. I ran the first mile at 7:06, the second mile at 7:30, the third mile at 7:49. I ran miles 11, 12, and 13 at over a 10:00 pace. Lesson learned the hard way, but it made me a better runner...I think.

Great experiences and as you said, "lesson learned."

BTW, El Paso Marathon touted as a fast Boston Qualifier might be for you now that you have the down hill experience. :) Over a 1,500 foot drop from the start on top of Franklin Mtn. to the finish.

http://elpasomarathon.org/

McFlurry John

What folks who do not know John should know here is that sub-2:08 had no running in it at all

Well done.

Info is up! I'd like to think my tweet to them this morning did something but probably not. I'll be starting in corral I.

I'm in Corral O!!

Expected it though - I have no proof of time (it's my first race), although I know I can run it in around 2 hours... hopefully I'll find a similar pace group once we all get started.

One month to go!! :woohoo::yay:

Emma princess: x

I'm in J

Does anyone know if there will be a Galloway pace team for the half? I did Space Coast and tagged along with them and had a PR. It was the first time I followed a pace team and it really helped me.

Jennifer

Seems that there is a typo in the Half Corrals:
C 40533 - 41027
D 41208 - 41465

So, either C goes to 41,207 or D Starts at 41,028.

I'm in Corral O!!

Expected it though - I have no proof of time (it's my first race), although I know I can run it in around 2 hours... hopefully I'll find a similar pace group once we all get started.

One month to go!! :woohoo::yay:

Emma princess: x

Dont feel too bad I'm all the way in the back in corral P and I know I can finish between 1:45 and 1:50. Going to be alot of people in front of us though ;)

Looks like I'm pretty much in the middle with corral H. My BIL who didn't submit a time ended up in K. Sound like they're pretty random with folks who don't submit times. I've seen everything from K to P.

How long between corral starts? Is it 5 mins?

J, here... for Just where I figured I'd be, lol! Totally happy with that, given teh new system. :thumbsup2

We don't know yet, but I imagine it'll be staggered, as was the case for TOT and W&D, with shorter spans between the early corrals and longer for the later, bigger corrals.

TOT:
10:00 p.m. – Corral A Start
10:02 p.m. – Corral B Start
10:04 p.m. – Corral C Start
10:06 p.m. – Corral D Start
10:09 p.m. – Corral E Start
10:12 p.m. – Corral F Start
10:15 p.m. – Corral G Start
10:19 p.m. – Corral H Start
10:23 p.m. – Corral I Start
10:27 p.m. – Corral J Start

W&D:
10:00 p.m. – Corral A Start
10:02 p.m. – Corral B Start
10:04 p.m. – Corral C Start
10:06 p.m. – Corral D Start
10:09 p.m. – Corral E Start
10:12 p.m. – Corral F Start
10:15 p.m. – Corral G Start
10:19 p.m. – Corral H Start
10:23 p.m. – Corral I Start
10:28 p.m. – Corral J Start
10:33 p.m. – Corral K Start
10:40 p.m. – Corral L Start

Looks like I'm pretty much in the middle with corral H. My BIL who didn't submit a time ended up in K. Sound like they're pretty random with folks who don't submit times. I've seen everything from K to P.

I'm in H too. :eek: What did you submit for a proof of time? :confused3

I'm in corral K and my husband is in L, which I'm not super thrilled about. I registered us at the same time and put the same estimated finish time of 3:15. Neither of us submitted proof of time.

I don't want to drop back a corral (I was swept during the marathon last year--put allll the room possible between me and the balloon ladies, please) so he's just going to plan to catch up with me. Fingers crossed this isn't a disaster! I can run this thing on my own, I'd just prefer not to!

Where is everyone finding the corral info? I'm sure someone has already posted what I need but I can't find it!! TIA! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter