• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2014 Donald Half Marathon

Hi everyone, hope your training is going well and on track.
I did 15K on the weekend, my long run Sundays are between 15 and 21k. This week it was -20C wind chill and gusts to 50KM/h (-4f and 30MPH), I am so looking forward to running down south! :cool1:

I have a question regarding Kids Races. My anticipated finish time for the half is between 2:00-2:15. I would like to run the 1/2 Saturday morning, bus to the Pop, get the family and Kids and make it to ESPN for the kids races that start at at 11:00am. Do you think this is possible, or is there not enough time?

But then if one is pushing for a PR, then it seems like a little more than wanted while in the park :)

That's true. You know my times and I'm certain I will PR even with pic stops and Disney race crowds. I'm expecting to be in either Corral B or C for the half so maybe the crowds won't be bad for either. Even though I'm expecting a PR, I'm not stressing over it. I'm merely expecting it because my training runs have been PR's from my last half this spring by nearly 5 minutes!

I'm not running the race with the newbies but I want to finish in enough time to pick out a good spot and cheer them across the finish line.

Hi everyone, hope your training is going well and on track.
I did 15K on the weekend, my long run Sundays are between 15 and 21k. This week it was -20C wind chill and gusts to 50KM/h (-4f and 30MPH), I am so looking forward to running down south! :cool1:

I have a question regarding Kids Races. My anticipated finish time for the half is between 2:00-2:15. I would like to run the 1/2 Saturday morning, bus to the Pop, get the family and Kids and make it to ESPN for the kids races that start at at 11:00am. Do you think this is possible, or is there not enough time?

Alot of it will depend on the Coral that you are in. If you are in one of the first Corrals, then I would say that it might be cutting it close. If you start at 5:45, run in 2:15, that gets you to 8 crossing the line. By the time you cool down, grab a snack and drink provided, get a picture with your medal, recover a little and then get to the bus, it will be at least 9. I doubt if they will have buses going straight to the WWOS complex from EPCOT (but I'm not certain on that one), so you would probably need to go back to a resort and then catch a bus from that resort to WWOS.

Unfortunately, with your time, I'm thinking you would be a little further back due to the changing of corrals this year. Assuming you've submitted a time, even if you are in D or E, that would probably get you started about 15 minutes later, so would even be cutting it closer. As you can see, the further back you are, the more difficult it will be to get there.

Alot of it will depend on the Coral that you are in. If you are in one of the first Corrals, then I would say that it might be cutting it close. If you start at 5:45, run in 2:15, that gets you to 8 crossing the line. By the time you cool down, grab a snack and drink provided, get a picture with your medal, recover a little and then get to the bus, it will be at least 9. I doubt if they will have buses going straight to the WWOS complex from EPCOT (but I'm not certain on that one), so you would probably need to go back to a resort and then catch a bus from that resort to WWOS.

Unfortunately, with your time, I'm thinking you would be a little further back due to the changing of corrals this year. Assuming you've submitted a time, even if you are in D or E, that would probably get you started about 15 minutes later, so would even be cutting it closer. As you can see, the further back you are, the more difficult it will be to get there.

I submitted 2:07. It sounds like the post race stuff may take a little longer than I thought. When I just look at the time, 8:00-11:00 it seems possible but I guess having all the extras of medal photos and getting post race refreshments, bus transportation, and stuff make it tricky. Thanks for the info!
My other thought is to try for Friday, our first day there. I can do the expo after the kids race but can't get the kits until the morning. Anyone have an idea how long it would take to get the kids race kits and get them to the start lines? Is it reasonable to hit the expo at 10 and get them to the start for 11:00 (100 meter dash)?

I submitted 2:07. It sounds like the post race stuff may take a little longer than I thought. When I just look at the time, 8:00-11:00 it seems possible but I guess having all the extras of medal photos and getting post race refreshments, bus transportation, and stuff make it tricky. Thanks for the info!
My other thought is to try for Friday, our first day there. I can do the expo after the kids race but can't get the kits until the morning. Anyone have an idea how long it would take to get the kids race kits and get them to the start lines? Is it reasonable to hit the expo at 10 and get them to the start for 11:00 (100 meter dash)?

I think your original plan is very doable on Saturday. You should finish about 0800 and be back in the room by 0915 leaving 1:45 before the races.

As a safety valve, have the family go out and board the bus even if you do not arrive in the room in time. Or fail to a taxi over to the WWoS. It's only a 10 minute drive once in a vehicle.

Maybe at some point once you are really conditioned and could do two long events inside of a week or so, you could do the Marathon weekend at WDW and then the Tinkerbell weekend at DLR? IN 2014 they are just a week apart. It does involve flying across the country, but at least you could do it with just the one international flight. :)

At some point, I would love to get the Coast to Coast medal, but I think I'll wait till after the race to decide if one year would be enough to train for that...

I just realized I should have signed up for the 5k. Doing a training program called "I just want to get home" I ran today's just-over-3-miles about 20 seconds/mile faster than I have ever done. And I could have run further, but, well, I wanted to get home. I had to stay late at work, hadn't hat dinner yet and it was just above freezing point. Apparently, that makes a great coach. :cool1:

And when I came home, I had an e-mail from my tour provider telling me that they still have places for Dopey and Goofy. Maybe that's a sign and I should sign up for that gorgeous Dopey medal immediately! :scratchin Or, I could just go and get me some reward-chocolate… :rotfl:

I think your original plan is very doable on Saturday. You should finish about 0800 and be back in the room by 0915 leaving 1:45 before the races.

As a safety valve, have the family go out and board the bus even if you do not arrive in the room in time. Or fail to a taxi over to the WWoS. It's only a 10 minute drive once in a vehicle.
Thanks, I hadn't thought about a taxi actually. I think will just throw a clean shirt in the bag check and if I have time stop by the room, if not I will just cab it directly to WWoS.

6 miles on Friday and my IT band held up until the very end. I think my Rock Tape was off, I need to work on getting the application right. It felt good but I'm still concerned about that band. I'm starting more strengthening but from a different perspective.

I've also added some more songs to my playlist, including Let It Go from Frozen. Anybody else see Frozen? I may add another song from the movie but now I'm going through my Disney list to see which ones will be good to have.

The DH said he's actually going to get up with me and go to the start. :faint: I'm thinking about doing the Platinum ChEAR package for him. Has anyone gotten it in the past? Do you think it's worth it?

Since that's the one that allows entrance to the Race Retreat, I assume you have the RR for yourself? I bought the RR for myself, and if DH thought he could even be in Florida for the Half I'd get him the Platinum, too. Just so we could hang out instead of him being out in the elements while I'm sheltered. :)

Since that's the one that allows entrance to the Race Retreat, I assume you have the RR for yourself? I bought the RR for myself, and if DH thought he could even be in Florida for the Half I'd get him the Platinum, too. Just so we could hang out instead of him being out in the elements while I'm sheltered. :)

Just so you understand the FINE PRINT, pre-race the RR is open for runners only until just about the time runners are released to the corrals; only then can the Platinum ChEAR folks enter the tent.

Just so you understand the FINE PRINT, pre-race the RR is open for runners only until just about the time runners are released to the corrals; only then can the Platinum ChEAR folks enter the tent.

Oh yes of course. :goodvibes I do read things, I'm just a little spacey recently. :)

6 miles on Friday and my IT band held up until the very end. I think my Rock Tape was off, I need to work on getting the application right. It felt good but I'm still concerned about that band. I'm starting more strengthening but from a different perspective.

I've also added some more songs to my playlist, including Let It Go from Frozen. Anybody else see Frozen? I may add another song from the movie but now I'm going through my Disney list to see which ones will be good to have.

Have you tried a pretape spray? I use one I found on Amazon, Mueffler's, Mueller's, something like that. It works pretty well along with putting on the tape at least a few hours before your run.

Going to see Frozen this Sunday! :cool1: One song I did add for the W&D was Nothing Can Stop Me Now from Planes. An awesome running song!! :thumbsup2

Hi Coach! :wave2: Once I saw that I decided not to bother spending the $$. I get they probably want to keep the RR just for the runners, but if you can't have your support crew :grouphug: with you before you start, what's the point? :confused3

Still trying to get myself as psyched up for this race as I was for the W&D but not quite there yet. Think I need a big poof of pixiedust:!

Have you tried a pretape spray? I use one I found on Amazon, Mueffler's, Mueller's, something like that. It works pretty well along with putting on the tape at least a few hours before your run.

Hi Coach! :wave2: Once I saw that I decided not to bother spending the $$. I get they probably want to keep the RR just for the runners, but if you can't have your support crew :grouphug: with you before you start, what's the point? :confused3

Still trying to get myself as psyched up for this race as I was for the W&D but not quite there yet. Think I need a big poof of pixiedust:!

I think the use of sticky pre-tape spray needs to have a higher profile at KT Tapes web site. While the tape does stick very well, I find it does not always stay put. With the pre-spray I have never had a failure.

With regard to the RR and ChEAR use of the tent, by far yes, the true purpose of the tent is for runner’s pre-race staging. The size of the tent would need to grow exponentially if the ChEAR folks were allowed in before the call to the corrals. It’s just not clear in the literature that there is no morning overlap. The start time and courses have been revised since the program started. Before the revisions, spectators could be a little more casual in getting to MK since it was mile 10 in the race. That coupled with a 6AM start spectators could wait for the buses to resume from the resorts at 0700 and still make a MK viewing. This eliminated the need for the crew to come to the race with the runner. Now with all the revisions, one can see how folks could be confused if they do not overlay the schedule on top of the rules.

Going to see Frozen this Sunday! :cool1: One song I did add for the W&D was Nothing Can Stop Me Now from Planes. An awesome running song!! :thumbsup2

It wasn't the tape sticking, it was me placing the tape a little to the side, and I don't think it was close enough to the spot of pain. Then yesterday my PT showed me the best way to tape it, which included taping on the quad. I've got three strips of Rock Tape on my leg and it looks intense.

I'll have to find that song from Planes to check it out. I did not make it to the theater, and the DVD is behind Christmas specials on Netflix. I may not get to it until after Marathon Weekend.

One of our friends has had to drop out due to an injury. She had already purchased the RR. Is that refundable? Or is it transferable? Another friend has not purchased RR yet but is planning on it. Is there a "ticket" that she could use from the friend that can't go? Or how is access to the RR monitored? TIA! :)

I think the use of sticky pre-tape spray needs to have a higher profile at KT Tapes web site. While the tape does stick very well, I find it does not always stay put. With the pre-spray I have never had a failure.

With regard to the RR and ChEAR use of the tent, by far yes, the true purpose of the tent is for runner’s pre-race staging. The size of the tent would need to grow exponentially if the ChEAR folks were allowed in before the call to the corrals. It’s just not clear in the literature that there is no morning overlap. The start time and courses have been revised since the program started. Before the revisions, spectators could be a little more casual in getting to MK since it was mile 10 in the race. That coupled with a 6AM start spectators could wait for the buses to resume from the resorts at 0700 and still make a MK viewing. This eliminated the need for the crew to come to the race with the runner. Now with all the revisions, one can see how folks could be confused if they do not overlay the schedule on top of the rules.

So I'm going to assume there is a place near the start that runners can hang out with their non-running buddies before the inevitable long wait in the actual corrals? Why DO they do that? Be in the corrals SO long before the actual start? :confused3

Speaking of the loooooong corral wait... assuming the WDW Half is the same course, was it set up like PHM this year, with banks of porta-potties to the side of the corrals? Because that was GREAT! I made a final stop just before my corral took off - our fireworks went off just as I got back into the corral. :thumbsup2

One of our friends has had to drop out due to an injury. She had already purchased the RR. Is that refundable? Or is it transferable? Another friend has not purchased RR yet but is planning on it. Is there a "ticket" that she could use from the friend that can't go? Or how is access to the RR monitored? TIA! :)

It's via a wristband. It is not refundable but could be transferable. She would have to pick up her packet (the band usually comes with the bib) and then hand the band off.

So I'm going to assume there is a place near the start that runners can hang out with their non-running buddies before the inevitable long wait in the actual corrals? Why DO they do that? Be in the corrals SO long before the actual start? :confused3

Yes, we hang out from arrival at the Epcot parking in the Wonder Lot. There is a gateway through a set of baggage claim tents where only runners can go (bibs are checked). Once through these tents, there is a second holding area. And tons of porta potties. From there we walk down Woodpecker Lane ( a back stage road) turn onto Overpass Road and then onto Epcot Drive where the start line is located. The rD folks attempt to start runners heading down the corrals on Epcot Dr about 0430 for the 0530 start. Note that Woodpecker and Overpass are very narrow roads and it can take a while to get 25000 runners through the tight spots. I will say that the path has been very congested in the past at about 0445; taking the better part of 40 minutes to walk the 0.6 miles.

If one is not in the first 6 corrals, you really can wait up in the Wonder lot for a while longer. It’s really your option as to how long you wait before heading down to the corrals. In the past Disney has shut the gate to corrals as they fill, forcing runners back in the starting grid. I think the overcrowding was then a function of expo corral corrections; something that has gone away starting with this race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter