• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2014 Donald Half Marathon

If anyone is doing the Galloway 19-week Half Marathon training, it starts in less than 2 weeks! Wow... that crept up fast!

DH and I are signed up for the half. We're complete beginners and will be using Jeff Galloway's training plan. We've been walking on Tuesday, Thursdays and Sundays for a few weeks to get in the habit. Our current walking pace is about 18-minutes/mile. We're both really worried we'll be swept by the bus on race day.

Jeff's first official training day is next Tuesday.

DH and I are signed up for the half. We're complete beginners and will be using Jeff Galloway's training plan. We've been walking on Tuesday, Thursdays and Sundays for a few weeks to get in the habit. Our current walking pace is about 18-minutes/mile. We're both really worried we'll be swept by the bus on race day.

You'll get faster! It just tends to happen with practice. :)

If anyone is doing the Galloway 19-week Half Marathon training, it starts in less than 2 weeks! Wow... that crept up fast!

And we're off! How was the first week for everyone?

Since I'm doing the TOT training these first few weeks aren't something I'm really following, but it's the thought that counts I suppose. :)

...although after running my very first 10 miles EVER for the TOT training plan, last night I was seriously questioning the concept of doing 10 and then doing 3+ more! ack! Guess I need to look at what I said before, that things will change with more practice. But wow that was hard.

Thanks Bumber!

For those doing (or have done) the Galloway plan; his notes say to not worry about speed, to go as slow as possible, during the Saturday long runs/walks. Jason and I are walkers trying to become runners (hard to do with my asthma and his shin splints!:sad2:). Is it OK to walk these long days or should we strive to run at little. For our 30 minutes on Tu/Th, we're trying the technique of running for 10 seconds then walking for 50 seconds. Should we do this for the high mileage days too?

Also, has anyone ever had their lower back get sore do to walking/running?
Thanks!

If you're planning on running during the event, your training should include running. Even if you're just going to do a :10 run/:50 walk during the event you should build up to that in your training. Part of what makes the Galloway method effective is that you use slightly different muscles (in part) when walking than you do when running. However, that same principle means a training regimen of long walks will not help you be a distance runner.

If you're planning on walking the entire (or most of) half marathon, can you do so under the 16:00 pace, including stoppage time for character interactions, water, bathrooms, etc.? That might give you insight into the minimum amount of running you'd need to undertake in order to keep from being swept, and then you can build your training plan accordingly.

Jeff's first official training day is next Tuesday.

Thanks Bumber!

For those doing (or have done) the Galloway plan; his notes say to not worry about speed, to go as slow as possible, during the Saturday long runs/walks. Jason and I are walkers trying to become runners (hard to do with my asthma and his shin splints!:sad2:). Is it OK to walk these long days or should we strive to run at little. For our 30 minutes on Tu/Th, we're trying the technique of running for 10 seconds then walking for 50 seconds. Should we do this for the high mileage days too?

Thanks!

As above, you will get faster as the temperatures begin to cool this fall. Many folks are at your pace at this point in time.

Please go back as re-read Galloway's thoughts on the long run pace. I do not believe he says go as slow as possible; rather, I believe that he says stay slow enough so that you are not huffy-puffy. I would rephrase that to say as long as you can be conversational, or able to talk in choppy phrases.

Most definitely add runs into your long runs as you start off. The ratio you use is really up to you. Jeff has a section on walk/shuffle splits. The 10/50 ratio seems reasonable though play around. As you get a little fitter, you may want to move it around.

The lower back issue may come from several things. My initial thoughts would be that you may be over-striding on the walk/runs. Try shortening your stride on both the walk and run and increasing the number of foot strikes a minute.

Next would be shoes. If your shoes are older than 400 miles or you were not fitted at a running store, you may want to swing by a running store to get fitted in a pair of shoes.

Finally, poor posture from leaning too far forward at the hips. Envision a string tied to your sternum pulling you up and forward as you move forward. Shoulders should be back and relaxed and you head held up, looking forward at least 20-30 feet ahead.

Hope this helps

Thanks!

I do. Thankfully I see my chiro quite often and he helps keep me OK.

The lower back issue may come from several things. My initial thoughts would be that you may be over-striding on the walk/runs. Try shortening your stride on both the walk and run and increasing the number of foot strikes a minute.

Finally, poor posture from leaning too far forward at the hips. Envision a string tied to your sternum pulling you up and forward as you move forward. Shoulders should be back and relaxed and you head held up, looking forward at least 20-30 feet ahead.

Hope this helps

Very interesting! I'll be sure to look at my own stride lengths.

Yikes this is coming up fast! With the exception of about a week and a half, where I was just a lazy log and didn't do much of anything - I have continued to run 3 times a week with cross training of walking/biking on off days. I wish I could lift or swim, but I am currently dealing with frozen shoulder (which absolutely is one of the worst things I have ever had to deal with).

Now I'm getting worried about the sweep bus. Has anyone ever been "swept" at a Disney race? Is it at the 16 min. pace??

And we're off! How was the first week for everyone?

Since I'm doing the TOT training these first few weeks aren't something I'm really following, but it's the thought that counts I suppose. :)

...although after running my very first 10 miles EVER for the TOT training plan, last night I was seriously questioning the concept of doing 10 and then doing 3+ more! ack! Guess I need to look at what I said before, that things will change with more practice. But wow that was hard.

If you can do the 10... you will be able to do the half. :goodvibes

Hey everybody! :wave2: Newbie to this thread (thank you Coach Charles!) and hoping it's not too late to jump in. This will be my 3rd runDisney Half and my 5th overall. I'll be running my second W&D in November and had no idea what I was thinking when my BRF talked me into running this one 8 weeks later. Okay, well maybe she didn't have to twist my arm TOO much and if i recall there may have been some Rocco's Tacos margaritas involved :lmao:.....

I've been battling ITBS since right before last year's W&D, but I think we've finally come to a mutual understanding. I won't push the stride length or pace too much, do my PT and strengthening exercises, and it won't rear it's ugly head more than is absolutely necessary. :confused: I guess you could call it a symbiotic(?) relationship??? :rotfl2: Darn IT's...who needs 'em anyway? :eek:

Kimberley

Welcome Kim!

I'm feeling good about our training. On Wednesday I had my best run yet. It's hard to describe, but I really felt fast and powerful. I ran my fastest during our run moments ( DH and I are doing the walk 50 seconds/ run 10 seconds thing) without thinking I was going to die of asphyxiation. DH and I ran 1.78 miles in 27:41 .... 15:33/mile. This includes a 7 minute walking warm-up. I'm hoping tonight to change our pattern to walk 45 seconds / run 15 seconds. At this rate we should have no problem getting down to 14 minute/mile by January.

Our next long run is scheduled for Sunday but it might rain. We are thinking of going hiking tomorrow so I might have us do some trail running for 2 miles. Then we can veg on our rainy Sunday!

How's everyone's week going?

Yikes this is coming up fast! With the exception of about a week and a half, where I was just a lazy log and didn't do much of anything - I have continued to run 3 times a week with cross training of walking/biking on off days. I wish I could lift or swim, but I am currently dealing with frozen shoulder (which absolutely is one of the worst things I have ever had to deal with).

Now I'm getting worried about the sweep bus. Has anyone ever been "swept" at a Disney race? Is it at the 16 min. pace??

First of all - don't worry, especially at this point in time.

You are doing all the right things and your focus should be on getting the miles in. I would add focus to the two mid week runs besides 'run 45 minutes' or some variant of that. Find a hilly part of town and run intervals up a fairly steep hill. Even running a parking garage early on a weekend day will work for flat landers. Alternate that with intervals on the local track or the block around your house. Run one lap or 10 or so houses at a pace that makes you feel as though you could only say a couple words per breath. Then jog or walk about the same distance and repeat.

Do one of these a week or alternate or even both a week and alternate weeks. Start off small; say 4-6 intervals, then add one interval a week.

January is much cooler than now, so the coolness of the season will give you a pick up in speed.

Another thing in your favor is the general gain in fitness. You will improve pacing by just finishing the schedule.

As you run your long runs, practice great form. Head up, shoulders back and arms swinging with hands near the waist. (or as best you can with shoulder). You stride should be of a comfortable length, but not so long as to force you to land on the heal. Look about 15-20 feet in front of you. Your chest should be open and you have a feeling of being pulled by a string from your sternum. Every so often take in a nice deep cleansing breath. Smile

Finally, The Disney sweep is rather loose. It does not mean that this year they will not clamp down and strictly enforce the 16 minute pace everywhere , all the time. It means that in general, it is a little less than rigid. Saying that, I would do everything to train to at least a 15 minute pace then rely on the fact that race day will give you a 30-60 second a mile boost.

For those who wonder....

The sweep clock is based on a 16 minute pace and the clock starts when the last runner crosses the start line. Basically, if the last runner crosses the start line at 6:20, the sweep time for mile 1 would be 6:36, mile 2 6:52...

Generally the hard points for sweeping are in the TTC area (mile 4), Leaving MK (mile 6.5), passing the Dopey Lot (mile 8) and not getting to Epcot Dr in time (mile 10). The hard points are where the course enters a roadway from non-public paths or at certain other points.

There is also a mobile van that does follow the parade. It is my understanding that these guys set up on mile markers but are generally at a point where you are well above 16 minute miles.

Finally, it is a general belief that once one passes mile 10 that they are left to finish - as long as they are making good progress. This last point has not held true on the traditional last point of sweep in the marathon so I would not count it as fact every year, every time.

I may have answered more than just your fear. I wanted to let you know that you are more than capable of finishing well within the bounds of the race.... just keep up the great work.

On a personal note, I had rotator cuff surgery 19 days pre-Goofy 2007. It is possible to train and do well with a bum shoulder. I would have it looked at as it will hinder your stride and possibly open you up to a running injury.

Just in case folks were wondering about the course....

Here is a link to the map

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/4106815/

Description (sorry went long)
The course is not a bad course. It starts on Epcot Blvd just outside of Epcot near Vacation Club Way. It runs up to the MK just like one would drive. Up World Drive, through the parking toll booths then over to the Villain side of the parking lot. From there it turns north, cuts a parking area and follows the tram road into TTC. We run past the monorail station down Topiary Lane (the really old bus stops) and then onto World drive again up to MK. We run under the Seven Seas Lagoon water bridge past the Contemporary and then take the cast member entrance that runs under the monorail.

Now the fun begins. Listening to it’s a Whistle While You Work coming from the Musac system we come into the park next to Tony’s, turn right and head up Main Street USA. We have a huge and loud crowd on the left side of the street. Once to the circle, we veer right and then run through Tomorrowland, into Fantasyland, and up to the back of Cinderella Castle. We run down the front ramp make a right and then off into Liberty Square and Frontierland. As we near Splash Mountain, we are following the parade route and exit back stage left of Splash Mountain. The floats line the back stage area. Captain Jack was the character of note here until 2013 when Cinderella took the spot.

Mentally, the toughest part of the race comes. We exit onto Floridian way and move south towards the Grand Floridian and the Poly. It is quiet, crowded and emotionally a big let down for many as we start running along a small country road. As we near GF, Mary Poppins is usually hanging out at the service gate. We pass the two resorts as well as the crowd from Shades of Green. From there it is basically highway again for 3 miles. We exit World Drive following the road to Epcot. This is the first in a series of three hills (overpasses). The first is the cloverleaf exit onto Epcot Dr. The road head up a slight hill but is also cambered to the right. If you find that you are having issues with the lack of a flat spot along the inner radius, slide up the slope and run the outer edge. It is flat and smooth at the edge of the pavement. From here it is a slight down and up for the next overpass followed by a full down to ground level. The run head up to the bus lane exit from Epcot Parking, makes a short 180 degree u-turn and the up and over the bus bridge.

Epcot is in full view. We run up into the bus parking area and into the backstage in the cast member entrance in that area. It’s a left then right and into the park. We run under Spaceship Earth to the World Showcase Lagoon and back up to Spaceship Earth. Park exit is the cast member exit near Guest Relations, behind the old kennel and into the Imagine Parking Lot.

I'm going to have to read that over and over; the story of how the run will go. :)

There's official transportation to and from the Swan and Dolphin for Marathon weekend, yes?

Joining in!

The WDW Half in 2014 will be my first ever half marathon and distance race. I wouldn't have called myself a runner, although I do go the gym regularly and run on a treadmill, but since registering for this race in April I have been outside running nearly every weekend, achieving just over 13 miles a couple of weeks ago!

I cannot wait for January, staying at Boardwalk Villas - flights are booked, ADRs made.. just 16 weeks of training to go :cutie:

Where are people dining for the nights before and after the race? :goodvibes I am going to Tutto Italia before (carbs) and Yachtsman Steakhouse after (protein!).

Emma princess: x

Hi Everyone. Hope your training is going well. I just finished my latest 1/2 marathon on Sunday, my next one will be at Disney. I am very excited.

During my recent 1/2 I had some issues that caused me to finish later than I should have but I have a decent time from a recent 10K that I could also use for corral placement. Does anyone know if they use a calculator from the 10KM to anticipate a 1/2 finish, or do they take your 10K pace time and just multiply that for 13.1?

I would like to try and guess what corral I will be in and how long until I get to run. Is there any information on corral placement?

Coming from Canada it is hard to bring my favourite PB and J for the morning of the race. Are the food courts at the Disney hotels open at all on race morning?

Yes, I think about the little details on my runs.

Where are people dining for the nights before and after the race? :goodvibes I am going to Tutto Italia before (carbs) and Yachtsman Steakhouse after (protein!).

While I haven't decided where for after the run, before will most likely be quickserve. I like about a cup or two of pasta around lunch the day before, and a light easy to digest early diner. Race morning I enjoy a PB and J or oatmeal, exciting I know. After the run, once my stomach settles, it is a all out feast.

Coming from Canada it is hard to bring my favourite PB and J for the morning of the race. Are the food courts at the Disney hotels open at all on race morning?

I don't *know* if they are open, but wouldn't assume they are. Since we are picky about our PB&J, I personally would probably bring my own brand in our checked luggage. Perhaps make sure they are both in plastic containers, wrap them in multiple layers of ziptop bags and bubble wrap, put 'em in a "wine diaper", etc. :) That way you know you have them.

In fact that's a good idea for me to do. After the TOT I have to start experimenting with morning runs for the Half, and I'm hoping PB&J works well for me. So I might be doing just what I suggested!

Of course, you would need to make sure customs is OK with processed PB&J coming into the US. And have a backup plan in case it falls out of your checked luggage.

Hi Everyone. Hope your training is going well. I just finished my latest 1/2 marathon on Sunday, my next one will be at Disney. I am very excited.

During my recent 1/2 I had some issues that caused me to finish later than I should have but I have a decent time from a recent 10K that I could also use for corral placement. Does anyone know if they use a calculator from the 10KM to anticipate a 1/2 finish, or do they take your 10K pace time and just multiply that for 13.1?

I would like to try and guess what corral I will be in and how long until I get to run. Is there any information on corral placement?

Yes, I think about the little details on my runs.

While I haven't decided where for after the run, before will most likely be quickserve. I like about a cup or two of pasta around lunch the day before, and a light easy to digest early diner. Race morning I enjoy a PB and J or oatmeal, exciting I know. After the run, once my stomach settles, it is a all out feast.

I don't *know* if they are open, but wouldn't assume they are. Since we are picky about our PB&J, I personally would probably bring my own brand in our checked luggage. Perhaps make sure they are both in plastic containers, wrap them in multiple layers of ziptop bags and bubble wrap, put 'em in a "wine diaper", etc. :) That way you know you have them.

In fact that's a good idea for me to do. After the TOT I have to start experimenting with morning runs for the Half, and I'm hoping PB&J works well for me. So I might be doing just what I suggested!

Of course, you would need to make sure customs is OK with processed PB&J coming into the US. And have a backup plan in case it falls out of your checked luggage.

Most definitely YES, the resort food courts, the counter/quick service areas will be open or partially open. They usually open about 2 AM. Do not expect to have prepared food lines open, but bread stuffs, drink and coffee :) will definitely be available.

Saying that, I would have a back up source of carbs in the room that you could fall back on just in case the courts fails to open. In the 6-7 years they have been opening, I believe I read of only one fail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter