**** Official 2014 AUGUST - Disneyland thread ****

This is exactly how I felt. I just got back late on Friday and after a day of recovery and reflection, I truly appreciated California Adventure. I've always liked it, even before they made it Disney themed, but I feel like that park flows much better, it's better connected, more spaces to get away from the sheer amount of bodies that seem to be wall to wall in Disneyland.
We arrived today, and I was just telling my husband the same thing. I especially love early mornings in DCA. The only problem is that my favorite rides are in Disneyland.

I am in transit! Took my flight from Australia to Fiji this morning, now just hanging around Fiji airport waiting for the next one to LAX. I'm estimating I will be at DLR in around 17 hours :cool1:

Time difference is a killer, so far! We were happily in bed by 9pm PST last night ( I stayed up until 10pm unpacking) but I was still up at 3am this morning on my usual routine. DH was also up but fell back asleep. Kids are mercifully still sleeping (so far). After a couple of hours tossing and turning, I've given up and will just try to get a nap later maybe. Luckily we'll have no problem being early for MM today!

Had a super busy day today. Lisa (not sure her name on here) spotted me during MM at DL! Glad to meet a Diser!

Note of caution: don't leave a bag of groceries on the floor next to the garbage can at DLH! They threw out our potato chips and other unopened snacks that we had stocked up on so that we wouldn't have to spend much on snacks in the parks. Housekeeping made up for it, though, by adding a credit to our account.

We got stuck on Splash this afternoon, right on the first hill that brings us up. We were at a 45 degree angle for about 15 minutes. Luckily we were next to the stairs, but the couple in the log with us had trouble getting out (they came from the accessible line up.) We helped the woman get out but her husband didn't want to risk throwing his back out, so he stayed in the log and waited for help, I guess. We got a pass to use on any ride except RSR and we used it on Toy Story. The CM there let us keep the pass, so we took 2 rides on Toy Story in a row.

The kids are exhausted from so many late nights, so we'll probably skip EE tomorrow and sleep in. One more full day, then half a day on Thurs and we fly home.

We got stuck on Splash this afternoon, right on the first hill that brings us up. We were at a 45 degree angle for about 15 minutes. Luckily we were next to the stairs, but the couple in the log with us had trouble getting out (they came from the accessible line up.) We helped the woman get out but her husband didn't want to risk throwing his back out, so he stayed in the log and waited for help, I guess. We got a pass to use on any ride except RSR and we used it on Toy Story. The CM there let us keep the pass, so we took 2 rides on Toy Story in a row.

A bit OT but that happened to me in the same spot on Magic Kingdom's Splash last year. There, they have to bring out this big, metal wind-up key (as if your log is a big toy wind-up car!) to unlock the restraints in each log before you can get out. Everyone, of course, wants to take photos of the process since it seems so visually silly, but since that apparently is a huge no-no at WDW, my biggest memory of the experience is of a CM yelling really loudly and rudely at people to put their phones away.

Had a super busy day today. Lisa (not sure her name on here) spotted me during MM at DL! Glad to meet a Diser! Note of caution: don't leave a bag of groceries on the floor next to the garbage can at DLH! They threw out our potato chips and other unopened snacks that we had stocked up on so that we wouldn't have to spend much on snacks in the parks. Housekeeping made up for it, though, by adding a credit to our account. We got stuck on Splash this afternoon, right on the first hill that brings us up. We were at a 45 degree angle for about 15 minutes. Luckily we were next to the stairs, but the couple in the log with us had trouble getting out (they came from the accessible line up.) We helped the woman get out but her husband didn't want to risk throwing his back out, so he stayed in the log and waited for help, I guess. We got a pass to use on any ride except RSR and we used it on Toy Story. The CM there let us keep the pass, so we took 2 rides on Toy Story in a row. The kids are exhausted from so many late nights, so we'll probably skip EE tomorrow and sleep in. One more full day, then half a day on Thurs and we fly home.
Hi Katie! It's Lisa. I think I told you my wrong screen name because I have different ones on different forums. Anyway, nice meeting you and sorry for the bad Splash luck. That does not sound like fun. I hope you had a short wait for the A&E meet yesterday morning. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

I'm just the opposite on DCA v DL. Everytime I'm in DCA, I think, WHEN can I go back to DL? DCA doesn't have enough shade -- every time I'm there, I feel like it's about 10 degrees hotter than DL. And for some reason it just feels less magical to me.

Leaving tomorrow. Woohoo. Can't make the meet up because that's a park day for us, but will be at the Expo tomorrow them poolside at DLH.

Hi Katie! It's Lisa. I think I told you my wrong screen name because I have different ones on different forums. Anyway, nice meeting you and sorry for the bad Splash luck. That does not sound like fun. I hope you had a short wait for the A&E meet yesterday morning. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

I checked my watch when we walked out after meeting them and it was 8:15! DH was first, but let a few other families go ahead of him because he worried that they would open the doors right away before we caught up to him. We skipped EE at DCA this morning and slept in a little then took the monorail in to tomorrowland just after opening (we rode in the front!) It was so much quieter in the morning today than yesterday.

We met six princesses today, two storm troopers, Peter Pan (for the second time, and he remembered us because we had a spoon fight with him at GK), Mickey, Minnie, Captain America and Thor. We also got a photo at the statue from Byron, who is an amazing PP photographer, He did an Olaf magic shot for us earlier in the week. If you're following me on instagram, check out the video of Peter giving the kids a flying lesson (I'm Katididdisney on instagram).

We head home tomorrow afternoon, but we get to do half a day in the parks first.

Hey all, back from my trip, it was great. A little pixie dust that I received was being chosen as one of the family to open DCA yesterday for EMH. It was myself, my friend and another family. Does anyone have any pictures by any chance?

We are home at last. Our 17 days in California was SO wonderful!! We spent today unpacking and napping because we are so exhausted from all the go go go on our trip!!!

I LOVED Disneyland!!!! But my number 1 vacation spot still goes to Florida.
I'm SOOO glad I went during a more quiet time cuz i can't even IMAGINE those parks when it's any busier! :sad2: It already seemed so crowded by 11! I was SO happy to ride some new rides though. Screamin & Indie are AWESOME!!!!

So I've never, ever gotten to say this before, right after coming back from a Disneyland trip (since I live in another time zone!), but...we're going back next month! Um, yay!!! :cool1:

You lucky duck!!!!

You must have been stuck on the ride when my daughter was!!! It was our last day and she still wanted to ride more rides so we were splitting up our 3 tickets to get different fast passes for her so DH and i were not on that one and she got stuck alone. She was stuck JUST before the final hill - she said there were people stuck on the big hill in front of her. Imagine getting off that thing!!
Where did you come out of the ride? Cuz we were sitting close by the entrance waiting for her to come back. I bet you passed by us at some point!!!

A bit OT but that happened to me in the same spot on Magic Kingdom's Splash last year. There, they have to bring out this big, metal wind-up key (as if your log is a big toy wind-up car!) to unlock the restraints in each log before you can get out. Everyone, of course, wants to take photos of the process since it seems so visually silly, but since that apparently is a huge no-no at WDW, my biggest memory of the experience is of a CM yelling really loudly and rudely at people to put their phones away.

our daughter said the cast member begged them to please not take their cameras out of their bags for photos. I guess I could see how it would make them look bad and show Disney as a little less magical.

Hey all, back from my trip, it was great. A little pixie dust that I received was being chosen as one of the family to open DCA yesterday for EMH. It was myself, my friend and another family. Does anyone have any pictures by any chance?

NICE!!!! We never got picked as family of the day in a disney park but once we were chosen at Universal Studios. It's pretty cool hey?

We are home at last. Our 17 days in California was SO wonderful!! We spent today unpacking and napping because we are so exhausted from all the go go go on our trip!!!

I LOVED Disneyland!!!! But my number 1 vacation spot still goes to Florida.
I'm SOOO glad I went during a more quiet time cuz i can't even IMAGINE those parks when it's any busier! :sad2: It already seemed so crowded by 11! I was SO happy to ride some new rides though. Screamin & Indie are AWESOME!!!!

You lucky duck!!!!

You must have been stuck on the ride when my daughter was!!! It was our last day and she still wanted to ride more rides so we were splitting up our 3 tickets to get different fast passes for her so DH and i were not on that one and she got stuck alone. She was stuck JUST before the final hill - she said there were people stuck on the big hill in front of her. Imagine getting off that thing!!
Where did you come out of the ride? Cuz we were sitting close by the entrance waiting for her to come back. I bet you passed by us at some point!!!

our daughter said the cast member begged them to please not take their cameras out of their bags for photos. I guess I could see how it would make them look bad and show Disney as a little less magical.

We didn't come out of the exit because we went through an interior staircase and then out a door near the entrance to the FP line. We were stuck on the first hill, so we didn't have far to go, but we had to sit at an angle for quite a while. DH took a photo of me with the "remain seated" sign and the CM didn't stop him. When we walked off Monster's Inc last year we took tons of pictures.

We left the parks today at 1:30pm after 8 magical days and got home at around 9pm. The kids can't wait to go back, and we got APs this trip, so we'll have to plan at least one more trip before next August. I've always wanted to do one of the reposition cruises to or from Vancouver, so might see if we can save up for a May trip and fly down there, do a few park days, then cruise to Vancouver.

We didn't come out of the exit because we went through an interior staircase and then out a door near the entrance to the FP line. We were stuck on the first hill, so we didn't have far to go, but we had to sit at an angle for quite a while. DH took a photo of me with the "remain seated" sign and the CM didn't stop him. When we walked off Monster's Inc last year we took tons of pictures.

We were sitting on a bench RIGHT ACROSS from the Fast Pass entrance!!!!! Oh man, I can't believe we didn't see you :( lol

We were sitting on a bench RIGHT ACROSS from the Fast Pass entrance!!!!! Oh man, I can't believe we didn't see you :( lol

Too funny! We probably walked right by you! I think we headed back to the hotel after that for a swim (but can't remember for sure, as it's all a blur to me now!)

All the best to those running in the races at the Dumbo Double Dare this weekend!
You should be proud of yourselves!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter