off-site with small children?

MissyinNM

Earning My Ears
Need help from the experts, but not sure where to post this. My husband and I will be making our first trip to WDW in late October for seven days with our 2 1/2 year old, 17 month old, and also my parents. We have reservations off site at the Caribe Royale, but because my dad is retired military we are currently on the waiting list for two rooms at the Contemporary through the Shades of Green. Not to count our chickens before they hatch, but the reservation agent seemed fairly certain that we will be able to get rooms at the Contemporary by October. But if not, then we have no dilemma. But Disney cannot guanrantee connecting rooms and it is important to all of us that we are together. (I would hate to just keep my fingers crossed and wind up with rooms on different floors!) And with the small kids, we would really enjoy having comforts of home provided by staying in a larger suite resort and there is no way we can afford to pay over $500 a night or more for a 2-bedroom suite on-site.

And although the answer probably seems obvious to veterans, but on-site or off-site? Just the conveniece alone of the Contemporary seems to answer my question. But, how bad is it to stay off site with small children? I have read so many differing opinions, and I realize everyone expects and needs different things from their vacation, but it is our first trip and despite all the research I'm not sure what to excpect. Thanks for any replies.

Hi Missy!

:) :) WELCOME to the DIS! :) :)

Well I'm going to be optimistic because somehow things always seem to work out magically at WDW! :)

I've stayed off site many, many times recently and when Erich was a baby.I only had one child and he was a goooooood baby! He never fussed much about anything.We took everything we needed for the day and stashed it in the stroller.He napped in the stroller.I've also been going to WDW in Oct for about 10 years now.

As far as coming and going to your off site hotel the traffic should not be a problem at that time of the year.I'm not exactly sure where the Caribe Royal is located but 192 through Kissimmee has been GREATLY improved over the last couple years.What you need to think about is how important is how much time you want to spend in the parks.When it comes to hopping on a bus or hopping in your car it's not really that much difference at that time of the year.Sometimes it takes longer ON a bus IMHO!! If you're wanting to spend most of your time in the MK and Epcot the Contemporary on a monorail can't be beat!

Okay let me try and answer this better! LOL! If you're on a list for a TERRIFIC price for the Contemporary I'd go for it! Even if you don't have connecting rooms it will be wonderful.I mean y'all can go out on the observation deck right before bed and watch the fireworks over Cinderella's Castle! WOW!

IMO and in exprience no matter WHERE you stay,off-site,on-site once you're at WDW you'll have a WONDERFUL time! :) ...geez I wasn't much help now was I?!
oy!! :rolleyes:LOL!!l

We stayed off sight, and I did not find getting to any of the Disney parks a problem at all. I liked having a kitchen for easy meals in the morning or at the end of a long day. I loved having a washer and dryer in the room. We packed much lighter, and I didn't have to do laundry when I got home. I haven't stayed on site at Disney (only Universal), so I can't be of any help in that area.

I think that an important issue you'll have to think about is NAPS!! We've stayed both off-site and on-site with small kids. The only drawback for us when we were off-site was that we would leave the park around lunchtime, hoping to get the kids back for an afternoon nap. Problem was they would fall asleep on the car ride back and we couldn't transfer them. So we would have to drive around for them to take a nap. The next time we stayed in the Fort Wilderness cabins and it was great. We would take the boat back at lunch, eat there, and put the kids in the back bedroom for 2-hour naps. It was great. It gave DH and I a little "down time" together, or one of us would go to the pool for a while. So I think if your kids are big nappers, it's something to think about. I hope the Contemporary comes through for you, that would be so great being so close to the Magic Kingdom. (Also, you may want to consider the cabins, your parents could stay with you. Then at least you would know you were all guaranteed to be together. And the cabins aren't "roughing it." They really are beautiful, with daily maid service, full kitchen, vcrs, etc). Have fun wherever you end up!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter