• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Off site hotel advice needed

PamNC

DIS Veteran
I'm considering a solo trip for a the weekend of 10/22... I can't afford to stay on site this trip and I wondered if you nice people could give your opinions, experience, advice or even give examples of decent off site hotels for a good price... I won't be in the room hardly at all so I am looking for safe and clean and that's about it.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I've been going through a great deal of stress lately and I feel like I need a Disney escape on my own to soothe my worried soul.

Thanks!
pamnc

Have you considered renting from airbnb? I am looking into as a possible solo female traveler myself for next year. Usually when traveling by myself and staying offsite at the Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Lake Buena Vista, sometimes I can get good rates there and free parking.

We are going first of December and because it was a last minute trip we were unable to get a room on property, they are all booked up. We are booked now in a 2 br condo at Windsor Hills for $65 a night. I couldn't find a decent hotel for that and with this I will have a full kitchen, which will be nice. I don't plan to cook but having the fridge for drinks and things will be nice. We have stayed here in the past and it is only 10 minutes from the parks. I highly recommend it.

Have you considered renting from airbnb? I am looking into as a possible solo female traveler myself for next year. Usually when traveling by myself and staying offsite at the Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Lake Buena Vista, sometimes I can get good rates there and free parking.
didn't think about air Bnb - thanks for that tip.

We are going first of December and because it was a last minute trip we were unable to get a room on property, they are all booked up. We are booked now in a 2 br condo at Windsor Hills for $65 a night. I couldn't find a decent hotel for that and with this I will have a full kitchen, which will be nice. I don't plan to cook but having the fridge for drinks and things will be nice. We have stayed here in the past and it is only 10 minutes from the parks. I highly recommend it.
I'll check Windsor Hills out thank you.

We have stayed at the Baymont Inn (right beside AKL) and Champions World Resort. They were both cheap, no frills hotels. I did find them clean and safe, but based on other reviews, I have a feeling it could totally depend on what room you are placed in. I was able to book both of them through groupon for around $30 a night. They served our purpose of a late check in, 1 night stay prior to our WDW package!

We typically prefer off-site to on-site. In late October, you should be able to get some great rates off site. We like the space at the Hilton Vacation Clubs, but you likely won't need that. We also enjoyed our stay at the Homewood Suites closest to Universal.

We've also looked into Windsor Hills and it looks fabulous!

Just be sure you ask about add-on fees with VRBO type rentals. I emailed an owner asking about any extra fees on a advertised $300 for 5 nights in Windsor Palms. When all is said and done, the total cost would be $550.

Re safety

I'm a 56 year old female and travel solo to WDW frequently. I stay off site at least half the time. My first choice is the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd across from Disney Springs but they are often above my budget.

Next would be the Lake Buena Vista area followed by Maingate West (Kissimmee) and Maingate East, also in Kissimmee. I do stay in the Maimgate East area but it can feel a bit dark and empty when returning late at night.

International Drive isn't very convenient for WDW.

I only stay in hotels/condos on a Lynx route so there may be other areas I'm missing.

Last edited:
Personally, I would feel the safest on site. Don't forget to factor in parking fees and rental car fees if you are flying in.

Bewildering array of hotels! So far, The Inn At Calypso Cay, Red Lion, or Summer Bay by Exploria seem to fit all my needs. Anyone stayed at any of these? Thanks for all the pointers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter