• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Odd situation with package delivery - USPS

Liz

Make a miracle!
My dad mailed me a package and the tracking showed it was delivered at 8:11 AM yesterday. We didn't get it so I confirmed with my dad the address where it was sent. He sent it to our previous address where we haven't lived for four years. My dad has sent us things to our new address. He just messed up this time.

Our old address is just 10 miles away so we started driving there to check. Meanwhile, my daughter texted our old next door neighbor to see if she could ask the new people living in our old home if they got the package. They didn't.

We had my dad send us the tracking number so we went to the post office to see if they could help at all. After doing something on the computer in the back, the man said the address on the package was something totally different than my current address and my previous address. I said "you mean my dad addressed the package to this other address??" The postal worker said no, someone at the post office changed the address on the package and had it sent to this other place. He told me the address and asked if we ever lived there or if we know anyone who lived there (no and no).

He said he would talk to a supervisor and would need to "fill out some forms". He said he would have the mail carrier go back to where the package was dropped off and get it. He said it was left in a parcel locker at this place, which is a mobilehome park. But the tracking says it was left on the "porch/front door", but there was no indication of which mobilehome. The man from the post office is supposed to call me, but I haven't heard anything yet. Isn't this just so very bizarre? Admittedly the first mistake was my dad sending it to the wrong address, but if it had gone there I could have likely easily gotten it back.

My dad went to a craft fair and bought us a queen size homemade quilt. I'm sure it was expensive and not cheap to mail either.

It sounds like maybe the people who moved in after you have recently moved again with a current forwarding order. Good luck!

Good luck with the "Postal Carrier will go back and get it" spiel they tell you. I had a package misdelivered a while back and the PO assured me they would go back and get it and make it right. Never heard another word and never got the package. Luckily, mine was a delivery from a major retailer, so they ate the loss and resent the item.

I had an incident that was 100% my fault. I had just moved about 2 miles from my previous address. I used the house number of the old address with the new street name (the address didn’t exist). I realized the next day and it was 3 pretty expensive items for Christmas gifts (phone soaps if you remember those). I went up the to the post office hub and the guy swore to me to wait until after thanksgiving and come back that Monday and they would hold the package and have it for me. I had little hope and he seemed less than trustworthy and I thought he just wanted me out of there on the day before thanksgiving. I went on Monday and lo and behold USPS had it. So don’t give up hope. It may show up. I say a little prayer for that guy every so often because I was so sure he was brushing me off but he was basically like “we move slow. Hang in there”.

Good luck with the "Postal Carrier will go back and get it" spiel they tell you. I had a package misdelivered a while back and the PO assured me they would go back and get it and make it right. Never heard another word and never got the package. Luckily, mine was a delivery from a major retailer, so they ate the loss and resent the item.

Yes, if your Dad didn't insure the package, you will probably never see it.

Decades ago, before delivery tracking was available, I had to return a blazer to Victoria Secret. The return instructions gave me a label for UPS. But they weren't close by. The instructions even said, "DO NOT SEND BY USPS. And if you do, use certified mail and insure the package."

I sent it via USPS anyway. I did NOT pay for certified, nor insured it. Of course it never got there. I went to the post office. Just looking at the address, which does NOT state Victoria Secret as part of the address, the clerk KNEW it was to Victoria Secret returns just from the street address. She asked if I had sent it certified, or insured it.

No.

Then she smirked, saying something along the lines that Victoria Secret may be the ones acting like they didn't receive it when they had. But, her smirk was more like one of her co-workers got a new blazer to wear. Then I knew why Victoria Secret said not to send items via USPS. Since it wasn't even insured, USPS doesn't even have to pay for the package.

Of course, the clerk had me fill out a "Lost Item" form. Never heard a word back.

Ever since, I use UPS or FedEx. UPS had tracking even back then and includes $100 of insurance.

I am giving the post office all day today to call me. I'm assuming at this point they won't so I will call them tomorrow. I know my dad is upset about this and I feel bad about that more so than not receiving the quilt. He's 88.

Assure him, it was a simple mistake he could have made at age 20 or 40. We ALL have those moments. :headache: Sometimes we are lucky enough to catch them in time.
smack.gif
Sometimes not.

It's the time and thought he put into thinking of you and getting the lovely quilt that is what counts. 🥰

Last edited:
Ever since, I use UPS or FedEx. UPS had tracking even back then and includes $100 of insurance.
What I hate is when UPS or FedEx pass the package off to the USPS to complete the delivery. The original tracking number only applies until they pass the package to USPS, and that is usually where my packages go missing.

I hope the OP has a good resolution to their missing package.

Although you dad sent it to the wrong address, the real problem took place at the post office so they should be responsible. From what you said, the post office admitted their records show they changed the delivery address for whatever reason. They should certainly have a record of who input that change.

I ordered something online one time that showed it got to the local post office but was never delivered. The post office admitted they 'lost' the package and a replacement order was sent to me for no charge.

Reactions: Liz
It's not the seller's fault the address was wrong. If you mean disputing the charge that would be very mean to a small business at a craft fair.
I assumed the comment was referring to how some credit cards have protection for different things. Definitely not disputing the charge, for sure.

I called the post office this morning and they said they got the package back yesterday (hopefully it's still unopened!) and it's out for delivery at our current house today!!! Good news!! Still no explanation of why the P.O. changed the address and if I get the quilt I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

I called the post office this morning and they said they got the package back yesterday (hopefully it's still unopened!) and it's out for delivery at our current house today!!! Good news!! Still no explanation of why the P.O. changed the address and if I get the quilt I guess it doesn't matter anymore.
party:

so happy for you! glad to hear it worked out.

• Love
No matter how old, your Dad is human. We all make mistakes. I’m sure yesterday was no fun for you or him attempting to fix the debacle as best as you could.

Once in a while, things have a way of working out (which is very tricky considering this one was with USPS) but it sounds like we will have a happy ending! Yahoo!!!

And I know I’m not the only one on here invested, we need a picture of this quilt. It’s been on Mr Toad’s Wild Ride so we need to confirm it’s a-ok! 👍🏻😉

Glad to hear it was found and fairly quickly too. Today’s your lucky day, maybe you should buy a lottery ticket! ;)

• Love

I’m so glad it worked out. Sometimes you have to be patient and work on their weird timeline for a resolution which can be so frustrating. I had faith it might get to you since they could locate it in their system. Yay for what seems like a great outcome in the end!

Last edited:
  • Love

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter