odd sayings?

In the 60s, and possibly before that, people often ‘borrowed’ a cigarette from another person. Then they often asked for a light as well. “How are you fixed for spit?” was a comeback from the lender. I STILL USE THE SAYING ALL THE TIME (do you have a piece of paper? and a pen?) ... the use is unlimited!!

Hi, Dorothy and welcome to the DIS. Looks like you found an infamous "zombie thread" but no worries. It happens all the time. It helps to check the dates on posts. We'll let it slide this time. ;)

:welcome:

OOOOOOO A zombie thread. Today we are going to ask the zombies about sayings.

4 out of 10 zombies favorite saying was yummmmm brains.
3 mentioned We'd like to have you over for dinner as their favorite.
2 liked Give ito Mikey, he'll eat anything.
1 said you look yummy. So we ended the survey and left.

When I was out late, my dad would wake me up with “If you’re going to run with the big dogs at night, you don’t get to lay with the puppies in the morning.” My hung-over self never appreciated that.

I saw binny's name there and thought, woahhhh, binny's back. Then I saw the names of many replies. So many are gone now. Then realized it was 11 years ago

In any case, Dorothy, welcome to the dis.

My grandmother would say:

1. "How do you like them apples?" = "well what do you think of that?"

2. "...in 2 shakes of a cat's tail." in reference to how fast something would be done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, it is: "in two shakes of a lamb's tail".

I enjoyed reading these, even if it is an old thread!

We definitely "flip the dishwasher" here, and use "wicked" as a modifier.

My mom grew up in England and i guess at one point, when they were going to telephone a friend or ring on a friends doorbell, they'd use the expression "knock me up tomorrow". I would assume a large majority of you are now laughing and have a vague idea where this story is headed.

Fast forward to my mom in her 30s , freshly landed in canada and she got a job as a dental assistant. For the first week in the office, apparently she was on call or something, so she kept telling the dentist (her boss) that he could "knock her up tomorrow if he needs help". To his credit, the dentist waited about a week before he told her what that expression meant to him. I don't think I've ever heard my mom use the expression in any way shape or form since, except to tell that story :)

ready for the all time winner?

Whenever myself or one of my six siblings would ask her for something that annoyed her, she would say "How are you fixed for spit?" She has been gone for 3 years now and my biggest regret was not finding out what the hell she meant.
I realize how long ago you posted, but I thought you might enjoy hearing my story... My Dad used to say, "How are you fixed for spit?" when one of his sons would make an unreasonable or excessive request for assistance.

He explained the origin of the phrase as the tag line of an old joke he learned while in the Army in World War II. Every GI knew the joke, so you only had to say the last line to make your point. Here's how the story goes...

Two GI's are sitting in the Army barracks. One GI is writing a letter to his girlfriend. The other GI also decides to write to his girlfriend and asks, "Can I borrow a sheet of paper?"

The first GI says, "Sure".

The 2nd GI then asks, "Got a pencil?"

The first GI says, "Here you go."

The 2nd GI then asks, "I'll need an envelope."

The first GI says, "OK".

The 2nd GI adds, "And I'll need a stamp, too."

To which the first GI states, in total frustration, "How are you fixed for spit?"

ready for the all time winner?

Whenever myself or one of my six siblings would ask her for something that annoyed her, she would say "How are you fixed for spit?" She has been gone for 3 years now and my biggest regret was not finding out what the hell she meant.
It doesn't look like you are around anymore, @bywheel, but if by chance you see this, Bob just above has a good answer for you
I love looking at old threads, and remember the people and the mood at that time, but also its a little bit sad, we are so young and sexy then, lol
You are so right, Jason. So many 'old-timers' here. And we miss you too.
I realize how long ago you posted, but I thought you might enjoy hearing my story... My Dad used to say, "How are you fixed for spit?" when one of his sons would make an unreasonable or excessive request for assistance.

He explained the origin of the phrase as the tag line of an old joke he learned while in the Army in World War II. Every GI knew the joke, so you only had to say the last line to make your point. Here's how the story goes...

Two GI's are sitting in the Army barracks. One GI is writing a letter to his girlfriend. The other GI also decides to write to his girlfriend and asks, "Can I borrow a sheet of paper?"

The first GI says, "Sure".

The 2nd GI then asks, "Got a pencil?"

The first GI says, "Here you go."

The 2nd GI then asks, "I'll need an envelope."

The first GI says, "OK".

The 2nd GI adds, "And I'll need a stamp, too."

To which the first GI states, in total frustration, "How are you fixed for spit?"
Good one, Bob. And an answer for @bywheel. Also, welcome to the dis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter